Start by marking “The Wrong Way Home” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Way Home

The Wrong Way Home

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Peter Moore announced he was going to travel from London to his home in Sydney without boarding an aeroplane he was met with a resounding Why? The answer was perversity and a severe case of hippie envy - hippies had the best music, they had the best drugs, they had the best sex. But most of all, they had the best trips. Over the eight months (and twenty-five countries ...more
Published April 22nd 2005 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong Way Home

James Cridland
Don't buy this because it might be a Bill Bryson... because it's not. Bryson does a good book, with his astute descriptions of people he meets, and places he sees. This gives good descriptions of places that he sees, but there's virtually no people involved. Which is a shame, because if this self-styled hippie actually bothered to speak to other people, it would be quite a good book. But, sadly, it's not - not a bad book, but not the most entertaining; and no, not the funniest either.
Jen
EAsy introduction to travel books. You can stop and start at each chapter - as I did skipping over some of the journey through countries that didn't interest me. Amusing but not laugh out loud. good observations. A little disappointed he didn't get to into some more debunking of myths and misconceptions through the middle eAst. And shame he didn't get to chat to many women because they seemed pretty unrepresented except as fellow tourists. Light reading bound to encourage you to want to travel a ...more
Cheryl
I'm making my way through Peter Moore's collection of travel writing, as this is the kind of light reading that I can pick up put down and pick up again that is perfect for me while I am traveling. Though I think my appreciation for this book may have suffered a bit by the fact that I read it immediately after Kremmer's Carpet Wars (a fantastic and enlightening book about traveling in the near-East), as both books are travel memoir-style writing and pass through some of the same geographic areas ...more
Studio
It's been a while that I've laughed out loud so many times while reading a book. Peter Moore has a brilliant sense of humour and it was bittersweet to reach the end of the journey with him. This book will have you yearning and dreaming to experience adventures. What shone through, was Moore's respectful approach to people everywhere, but remaining true to himself nevertheless in sometimes physically and emotionally taxing situations. This is an author I'll be reading more of!
Shiri
This was the first journey I took with Peter Moore, and it was a hell of a trip.... It was funny and real. It was light and dirty. It was everything you want to have when you go on a nine months trip around the world. OK, so China was a bit long, but it's a big country after all!!! By far the best book I read for a long while.
Matthew
A fun, quick read with good, brisk writing and interesting observations. I agree with previous reviewers that it's fine to skip chapters you're not interested in; it's easy to get back into the book at any point. I loved the music recommendations at the beginning of each chapter. Will definitely read more from this author.
Di
Enjoyed even more after moving to Europe but a truly Aussie tale of trying to get home overland - London to Australia.

On completion, I went on to read 'Vroom with a View' and tracked down his website. He has numerous titles to his name and eventually I'll read all of them.
Elizabeth Cole
Not his best book that I have read yet but still good. I did have to put it down and stop reading it for about two weeks and then came back to it and enjoyed it even more when I came back to it. I have two of his other books to read but these are in paperback.
Chris Steeden
Fantastic journey by Peter. Very easy to read and a very likable author. I was particularly interested in the chapters on the Balkans. He must look back on that part of his journey (and the Afghanistan trip) and think how utterly mad it was.
Maddie Knight
was an amazing journey just the fact to some of the places i have been he gave quite a negative take which i disagreed with
John
Aug 19, 2007 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travel lit fans
Shelves: travel
Australian writer's story of traveling completely by surface (and there are several points where he's wishes he'd flown!) from London to Sydney. Really funny without ever going over-the-top to exaggerate situations.

Leah
Peter Moore, I adore you--too bad I'm already married! Details his true attempt to return home to Australia from England using no planes. He's witty and brilliant, all his travel books are gems.
Ryan
I thought this was ok. I love to travel and I thought I would love this book but it was lacking in any real insight or wisdom. Just kind of a travel log about an interesting trip.
Beachcomber
Made me both want to travel right then, and appreciate my home more. Thanks to Peter for travelling and letting me travel vicariously through him.
Amanda
I've nearly finished this book, how sad! Feel like i've been by Peter's side the whole way. I hope he has written more stuff!
Thomas Phillips
An exciting and interesting tale of a mans travels though beautiful countrys and dam right dangerous places.
Lauren
My favorite travel book thus far, complete with a soundtrack for every stop on his journey.
Karen
This book made me want to go to Laos. And Iran.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Travellers
Shelves: lobagsbooks
Very funny Australian travel writing
Lindsey Paley
Lindsey Paley marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Satwik Pradhan
Satwik Pradhan marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Kris Vandenbroucke
Kris Vandenbroucke marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip In Search Of Non-Corporate USA
  • On Foot Through Africa
  • Adventures on the High Teas: In Search of Middle England
  • Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe
  • It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks
  • One Hit Wonderland
  • Lois on the Loose: One Woman, One Motorcycle, 20,000 Miles Across the Americas
  • Russia: A Journey to the Heart of a Land and its People
  • Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica
  • By Any Means: His Brand New Adventure from Wicklow to Wollongong
  • North of Ithaka: A Granddaughter Returns to Greece and Discovers Her Roots
  • Ten Thousand Miles Without a Cloud
  • Cooper's Creek
  • Pass the Butterworms: Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered
Peter Moore (born 18 July 1962) is an Australian travel writer.

Moore, who was born in Sydney, claims to have visited 99 countries. He currently lives with his wife and daughter in London. He has published many books that re-tell tales of his travels.

He is a Vespa enthusiast and his 2005 book Vroom with a View and 2007 book Vroom by the Sea feature trips through Italy taken on vintage Italian motor
More about Peter Moore...
Swahili for the Broken-Hearted Vroom with a View: In Search of Italy's Dolce Vita on a '61 Vespa The Full Montezuma No Shitting In The Toilet Vroom by the Sea