Start by marking “What Is Good?” as Want to Read:
What Is Good?

What Is Good?

With clarity of thought and philosophical rigour, A.C. Grayling provides a valuable guide through mankind's ethical struggle to live decently. Focusing on two very different conceptions, he examines the different ways to live a good life, as proposed from classical antiquity to the recent present.
Published May 1st 2006 by Phoenix (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about What Is Good?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Is Good?

Bryan
There's a grand tradition of eudaemonology (the study of the best life for man) in Western philosophy, but this entry isn't among it. I am firmly on Grayling's side in the kerfuffle between secular humanism and religion, but to imply that, historically, the search for the good has been conducted almost exclusively along this divide is just too simplistic. This book is basically a polemic against letting superstition (in the guise of religious belief) determine our self-regarding and other-regard ...more
Helen
May 10, 2009 Helen rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that I had forgotten I'd read until now - I plan to re-read it this summer, along with many others. If you're interested in the general philosophical questions of life, ethics and/or simply want an interesting read then this is the book to pick up, and sit down with. Excellently written - it makes some of philosophy's most challenging and complex propositions become clear(-er). It certainly helped me at the beginning of my studies, and continues to be a source of inspiration fro ...more
David Cheshire
Dec 16, 2011 David Cheshire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant little book. It surveys a big selection of western philosophers by their views on ethics and contrasts ancient and modern humanism with the Christian centuries in the middle. His defence of humanism is vigorous, clear and brilliantly concise. His demolition job of religion is startling and more subtle than Darkins' sledge-hammer approach.

I now 'get' much better people like the ancient Stoics (the ultimate guides to the good life?)and Freud and have new a understanding of one
Nigeyb
Jun 22, 2016 Nigeyb rated it really liked it
This is a very accessible route into some interesting philosophical ideas. I remember being very impressed. It was many years ago that I read this, so cannot say much more.
JD
Jan 31, 2008 JD rated it really liked it
Excerpted from p.141:
"the good life for human individuals certainly requires the best of both traditions (the Enlightenment and Romanticism) but arguably it least requires the worst aspects of Romanticism if these come down to yielding authority to such things as race, the Hero, the Genius, the Leader, tradition, nature, untutored emotions, visions, supernatural beings and the like."
Vikas Datta
May 11, 2016 Vikas Datta rated it it was amazing
An accessible and lucid account of this illusive phenomenon... in short a good account of goodness..
Stephen
Jan 03, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
I should admit from the start that, as someone who would consider himself very much a humanist (and also a deist), I have a natural predilection for anything that highlights the absurdities of organised religion. Subsequently, I expect I was primed to appreciate this book by default. That aside, the book is a tremendously useful starting point for those wishing to delve into the evolution of ethical thought. I have little prior knowledge of this area and it suited my needs perfectly. Pertinent i ...more
Graeme
Jul 28, 2010 Graeme rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find it really hard to rate books. That is, it's really difficult for me to give a book, or anything, a series of stars. This is mostly because it's hard for me to fix firmly what a thing is for. Their uses and their meaning always vary for me according to context. Perhaps it's silly to say, but if you're in a dance club celebrating a birthday and the DJ drops 50 Cent's In Da Club, I always find it a total five-star experience, though I'm no great fan of the song's musicianship or lyrical cont ...more
Sudhamshu Narayan
Dec 09, 2014 Sudhamshu Narayan rated it it was amazing
One of the most influential books I have ever read, A C Grayling's "What is Good?" takes a deeper look in to the fields of human ethics, it's validity and the true meaning of good and it's true extensive nature. A must read for all those who love rational philosophy written with poetic conviction and provides us with a glimpse into the meaning of life.
Eric Kalnins
Dec 25, 2015 Eric Kalnins rated it it was amazing
I love the writing of Anthony Grayling so inevitably prejudices my view.
A most readable and enlightening sprint through the history of western thought (a little to quick over Existentialism for me) espousing a most powerful argument for humanism currently and in the future. At the risk of pleonasm (a term learned today) I shall conclude.

Highly recommended

16.45
Initially NO
Apr 14, 2014 Initially NO rated it it was ok
Hmm. Okay. Nice quote to end on from Socrates, which I think should've begun the book, and perhaps started me thinking more than hmm... okay the whole way through.
Frightful_elk
Nov 13, 2009 Frightful_elk rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: philosophy, religion
AVOID

Written by a dull and uninspired thinker. Whose thoughts are lazy and often plain stupid.

This book makes half an attempt to give an overview of the major philosophers who write about 'What is Good' But it is essentially a vanity project for the author to rant about his pet topics (the evils of religion, and medical ethics) His thinking is infuriatingly sloppy and I am surprised I finished this wretched book.

Probably the one redeeming feature is that it provides a guide to the thinkers you s
Lori Nicks
Jun 06, 2011 Lori Nicks is currently reading it
A lay-person's guide to how the great thinkers in history defined living the good life. The author declares his personal bias within the first few pages of the book -- he is a zealous atheist who dismisses all religious traditions out of hand. The major philosophical schools and their founders as well as their more famous adherents are examined. The different ways of living the good life are as various as the people who think about it. Good stuff to mull on.
Leigh
Jun 02, 2012 Leigh rated it really liked it

"The creativity of living resides in the way individual freedom is used, in forming relationships, gaining and applying knowledge, and cultivating and enjoying pleasures". This book beautifully, forcefully, and concisely articulates what it has taken me 40 years to realise I believe. Readability was greatly enhanced by the casual referencing, with no distracting footnotes.
abughat
Feb 07, 2011 abughat rated it really liked it
You can get a little lost in Greek history and philosophy in this book but it taught me a lot about the origins of Western society. Worth trying to stick with it as far as you can get.
Robin Malik
Dec 12, 2010 Robin Malik rated it it was amazing
A lucid, down to earth view of our conception of "the good life" throughout the ages. Derides the need for religion as a backbone to being virtuous. Great.
Wendy Ralston
Wendy Ralston is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2016
Karen Hubbard
Karen Hubbard marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Liz Frazier
Liz Frazier marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Ari Chand
Ari Chand marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Quan
Quan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Lucy Portsmouth
Lucy Portsmouth rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Bryan G
Bryan G marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Wiktoria
Wiktoria marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Kate Delaney
Kate Delaney marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
  • Into the Looking-Glass Wood: Essays on Books, Reading, and the World
  • Is Christianity Good for the World?
  • Intuition: Its Powers and Perils
  • Made to Break: Technology and Obsolescence in America
  • La puissance d'exister: Manifeste hedoniste
  • Heresies: Against Progress and Other Illusions
  • Good Citizens: Creating Enlightened Society
  • The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist
  • On Truth
  • The Good Atheist: Living a Purpose-Filled Life Without God
  • Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers
  • The Necessity of Atheism and Other Essays
  • Once Upon A Number: The Hidden Mathematical Logic Of Stories
Anthony Clifford "A. C." Grayling is a British philosopher. In 2011 he founded and became the first Master of New College of the Humanities, an independent undergraduate college in London. Until June 2011, he was Professor of Philosophy at Birkbeck, University of London, where he taught from 1991. He is also a supernumerary fellow of St Anne's College, Oxford.

He is a director and contributor at Pr
More about A.C. Grayling...

“Those who think that modern times are wickeder than previous times are apt to identify the cause as the weakening of a sense of moral law, associated with the departure of religious traditions of morality as a social influence... Such views give comfort to apologists for religion, who fasten on the implication that to revive a culture of moral concern people must be encouraged back into churches. But this reprises the usual muddle that getting people to accept as true... such propositions as that at a certain historical point a virgin gave birth, that the laws of nature were arbitrarily suspended so that, for example, water turned into wine, that several corpses came to life (and so forth), will somehow give them a logical reason for living morally (according to the attached view of what is moral - e.g. not marrying if you can help it, not divorcing if you do, and so forth again). It is scarcely needful to repeat that the morality and the metaphysics here separately at stake do not justify or even need one another, and that the moral questions require to be grounded and justified on their own merits in application to what they concern, namely, the life of human beings in the social setting.” 6 likes