Start by marking “World Series (Odyssey Classics)” as Want to Read:
World Series (Odyssey Classics)

World Series (Brooklyn Dodgers #3)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Roy Tucker and his Brooklyn Dodgers teammates summon every ounce of their collective skill to fight for the greatest title in baseball--World Series champs.

Includes an introduction by Bruce Brooks.
Published March 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about World Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Series

Joey Dice
Mar 15, 2012 Joey Dice rated it really liked it
I thought World Series was a good book, but it wasnt what I thought it was. It is about a rookie Baseball player named Roy Tucker playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the world series. They have a large task at hand they have been battling with injuries and its gonna take all of them to beat the Cleveland. They were tied in the series it was the 7th game and Cleveland was up by one run. They"re manager Old David Lenord hasnt ever one a world series with the dodgers and has been there for years. T ...more
Justin 833
Mar 01, 2009 Justin 833 rated it really liked it
World Series

The book that I read was World Series, and the author is John R. Tunis. The genre is historical fiction. The main character is Roy (Kid) Tucker. He was the right fielder for the Brooklyn Dodgers. The story takes place in the late 1930’s.
Roy is a younger player on the team, who still has a lot to learn. Throughout this book, he learns just about everything. He is a solid fielder with a fantastic arm. He used to be a pitcher, but he hurt his arm so he was converted into an outfielder
Hayden Udall
Mar 30, 2015 Hayden Udall rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10th-grade-books
I thought the book was pretty good. I love baseball so it kept me entertained throughout the book. Most of the book wasn't very exciting except during the games, but i didn't mind because love baseball. The author did a good job keeping the book flowing pretty well which helped to read the book easily.
Jack
Oct 01, 2008 Jack rated it really liked it
World Series
John R. Tunis

The Brooklyn Dodgers are underdogs in the World Series against the Cleveland Indians. The rookie Roy Tucker is the Dodgers' best hitter, but he gets hit in the head the first game and has to sit out the next two games. That puts Dave Leonard, the commanding manager of the Dodger under intense pressure. He never gets down on his team. Razzle Nuegent, the Dodgers' best pitcher, is put under pressure when the team falls behind three games to one. Does Roy get back in time?
Nicolas Conforti
Jan 18, 2016 Nicolas Conforti rated it it was amazing
The book was so good it really told how the Brooklyn Dodgers pulled through in the bottom of the 10th to win the world series. But to get the full affect you have to read the first book called The Kid From Tomkinsville.
Adam
Sep 17, 2009 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-books, sports
Originally published in 1941, it is part of a series that follows Tucker from being a young man on the family farm to being the rising star on the Dodgers team contending in the World Series. Today the series reads like "historical fiction" (a term that I have serious issues with..)and is one of the better sports novels from the era. Most of the characters are two dimensional, but Tucker has just enough depth to keep the story interesting as he handles adversity. There are too many exnteded pass ...more
Charles
Dec 19, 2012 Charles rated it really liked it
I read a bunch of young adult baseball books when I was a kid. This was my favorite, and it holds up well. I really like the feel of its old-timey wide-eyed love for baseball. It doesn't strike me as a realistic portrayal of what things were really like in the MLB in the 40s, but it's still a pretty interesting historical document for what it says about how kids in the 40s might have *imagined* it all going down.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Oct 27, 2009 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all sports fans (but note that it's part of a series)
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but the dramatic tension toward the end literally gave me that hair-raising excitement feeling. Also: it's interesting to read this and realize that some things about sports are timeless.
Brett
Oct 25, 2011 Brett is currently reading it
Shelves: baseball
Reading this right now with my ten year old son.
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Joe Cisneros
Joe Cisneros rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Ed Lockett
Ed Lockett rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Laura Rossier
Laura Rossier rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
J.L. Callison
J.L. Callison rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Bob Brooks
Bob Brooks rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Michael Hancock
Michael Hancock rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Cory Deckard
Cory Deckard rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Leroy Erickson
Leroy Erickson rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Sam Morgan
Sam Morgan rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Logan Robert
Logan Robert rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Ashley Stangl
Ashley Stangl rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Renee Zacks
Renee Zacks rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Viscosity
Viscosity rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Tom Zalewski
Tom Zalewski rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Brooklyn Dodgers (8 books)
  • The Kid from Tomkinsville