Start by marking “Keystone Kids” as Want to Read:
Keystone Kids

Keystone Kids (Brooklyn Dodgers #2)

When two young brothers join the Brooklyn Dodgers, one becomes team manager and must battle dissension and prejudice to unite the team and convince the players to accept the new Jewish catcher.
Includes an introduction by Bruce Brooks.
Published March 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Keystone Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keystone Kids

Aug 24, 2016 Charles rated it it was amazing
This book introduces Spike and Bob Russell, brothers, orphans and a superb shortstop/second base combination. The story opens with them toiling in the minor leagues but making a very good impression on their manager Grouchy. With their skills and confidence, the brothers move up to the major leagues and begin playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When they arrive, the team is that in name only, there is no cohesion among the players, and they are mired in the second division, with little hope of ri ...more
Nov 09, 2010 Ed rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults, sports fans.
Shelves: sports
When I was growing up, I read dozens of sports books. My favorite was O'Reilly of Notre Dame. The best author of these type of stories was John R. Tunis. Somehow I missed him, maybe because he wrote mostly about baseball and I was more interested in football. I recently was re-introduced to the genre on the internet and decided to mooch some of Tunis' books and see what I had missed.

If this book is typical of Tunis' stories, I'm sorry I missed them back in the 1940s and 50s when he was writing t
Aug 31, 2009 Badiss rated it really liked it
The protagonist of this book is Spike Russell. Spike manages the Brooklyn Dodgers. The Dodgers arent doing so well, and Spike struggles to keep them in the league standings. Spike then signs 3 new players to the team which make a big difference. One of the new players is Jewish and his other team mates dont like that. The teams gets worse until Jocko does something which changes the look of the team.

I would recommend this book to who wants to read an interesting book. You dont have to like bas
Jan 26, 2016 Cristina rated it liked it
I liked this book, though it is a good bit dated. The kid that plays well and is picked up by a team--from a small town--can't believe the great big world out there. Some character learning...
Aug 01, 2011 Kailey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Boys 8-15
I was surprised to find that I liked this book. Reminded me of when I was a huge Braves fan as an early teen. The writing style is sharp and gritty, cutting right to the core of the thing without ceremony. Excellent stuff!
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is an interesting read. Captures the time period very well. The subplot with the Jewish catcher and the unexpected rise of one character to manager seem somewhat contrived ... but all in all it's not bad.
Yiota Kandalepas
Grad school
Dylan Shays
Dylan Shays rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Jake marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Claire marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Alan Borne
Alan Borne rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Buz rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Joe Cisneros
Joe Cisneros rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Ed Lockett
Ed Lockett rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
J.L. Callison
J.L. Callison rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Teri-k marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Greyson Baptist
Greyson Baptist rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Leroy Erickson
Leroy Erickson rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Lynn Newlove
Lynn Newlove marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Sam Morgan
Sam Morgan rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Jack rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Ashley Stangl
Ashley Stangl rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Viscosity rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Yehuda added it
Jun 07, 2015
Renee Zacks
Renee Zacks rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Brooklyn Dodgers (8 books)
  • The Kid from Tomkinsville
  • World Series (Odyssey Classics)
  • Rookie of the Year (Brooklyn Dodgers, #4)
  • The Kid Comes Back