Start by marking “Keystone Kids” as Want to Read:
Keystone Kids

Keystone Kids

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  5 reviews
When two young brothers join the Brooklyn Dodgers, one becomes team manager and must battle dissension and prejudice to unite the team and convince the players to accept the new Jewish catcher.
Includes an introduction by Bruce Brooks.
Published March 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Keystone Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keystone Kids

Ed
Nov 09, 2010 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults, sports fans.
Shelves: sports
When I was growing up, I read dozens of sports books. My favorite was O'Reilly of Notre Dame. The best author of these type of stories was John R. Tunis. Somehow I missed him, maybe because he wrote mostly about baseball and I was more interested in football. I recently was re-introduced to the genre on the internet and decided to mooch some of Tunis' books and see what I had missed.

If this book is typical of Tunis' stories, I'm sorry I missed them back in the 1940s and 50s when he was writing t
Badiss
The protagonist of this book is Spike Russell. Spike manages the Brooklyn Dodgers. The Dodgers arent doing so well, and Spike struggles to keep them in the league standings. Spike then signs 3 new players to the team which make a big difference. One of the new players is Jewish and his other team mates dont like that. The teams gets worse until Jocko does something which changes the look of the team.

I would recommend this book to who wants to read an interesting book. You dont have to like bas
Kailey
Aug 01, 2011 Kailey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Boys 8-15
I was surprised to find that I liked this book. Reminded me of when I was a huge Braves fan as an early teen. The writing style is sharp and gritty, cutting right to the core of the thing without ceremony. Excellent stuff!
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is an interesting read. Captures the time period very well. The subplot with the Jewish catcher and the unexpected rise of one character to manager seem somewhat contrived ... but all in all it's not bad.
Yiota Kandalepas
WPS
WPS added it
Apr 30, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Kid from Tomkinsville (Odyssey Classics) World Series (Odyssey Classics) Rookie of the Year The Kid Comes Back Highpockets