Irish Magic

Irish Magic

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Just in time for St. Patrick's Day, here are four radiant tales of adventure and timeless love in a land of myth and enchantment. Includes "Galway Bay" by Morgan Llywelyn, "The Trysting Hour" by Susan Wiggs, "Rarer Than a White Crow" by Roberta Gellis, and "The Harper's Daughter" by Barbara Samuel. Reprint.
Published October 1st 2008 by Zebra (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Irish Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Magic

Marie
I don't usually just pick up an anthology. If I'm reading an anthology, it's for one particular author and story. And because I have it in my hand, I figure I might as well read a few more... and hopefully catch a new author I'll love.

But I don't usually just grab one off the shelf and read it. But I was craving some Ireland based stories, saw this at a used book store... and yeah.

So I gave all of the stories a chance, and read them.... but, nope. I really didn't like the first one, and the oth...more
Barbara ★
I was kinda disappointment with this anthology collection. I don't usually like anthologies because there isn't enough meat to the stories. Just when you start to like a character, the short story is over. Oh well.

Galway Bay by Morgan Llywelyn
Started out great with the promise of a selkie man taking an interest in American Eileen Costello. Told of her time in Ireland but totally left you hanging on the romance between "him" (he has no name) and Eileen. This is supposed to be a romantic collectio...more
Ana T.
Finally, my first review for the Once Upon a Time III Challenge. I’ve chosen this anthology because Gellis is one of my favourite authors and I’ve long wanted to read Morgan Llywelyn, who is perhaps better known for her historical fiction titles. I wasn’t equally impressed with the stories but as a whole, it was a pleasant read.

Galway Bay – Morgan Llywelyn

A contemporary story about an American looking for what’s missing in her life. She travels to Ireland and learns more about Irish folklore a...more
Kate
In Morgan Llwelyn's Galway Bay , a modern American woman journeys to the mystical land of her ancestors to escape the pain of love's betrayal. There she meets a man who is not of any world she knows.

Susan Wiggs's The Trysting Hourtakes us to ancient Tara, where the betrothed Princess Aideen awakens from a fevered vision...only to see her dream lover appear before her.

In Roberta Gellis's Rarer Than A White Crow, the beautiful warrior Caer finds a lover to cherish and to fear when she meets the bl...more
Patricia Solla
The short stories in this book are certainly 'flights of the imagination'. Galway Bay for me was odd and disturbing. I understand about the seal-people myth but author made me feel like the female character was being stalked instead of wooed by the male. The Harper's Daughter is a cursed by beauty and what fate holds storyline. It was enjoyable but a bit dry. The Trysting Hour is about a love lost and the lover is trying to reunite with his love but there's a rift between the real and unreal wor...more
This book features 4 short stories, all with an Irish myth and magic.

1. Galway Bay - An American woman takes her dream vacation to find herself being stalked by one of the Ron (Seal People) right out of legend.

2. The Harper's Daughter - Deirdre's legendary beauty will cause much bloodshed unless she can find someone who will love her for herself.

3. The Trysting Place - Aideen is set to marry, but the problem is - she already has a Fairy Prince for a husband. She just can't remember him.

4. Rarer...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
"Galway Bay" by Morgan Llywelyn. An American tourist, Eileen meets a member of the Ron - mythical people who turn into seals or humans - unusual story.

"The Harper's Daughter" by Barbara Samuael - A girl, Diedre is cursed with beauty that betrays her and causes bloodshed between men until she meets her true love.

"The Trysting Hour" by Susan Wiggs - Aideen's love is a member of the fey.

"Rarer Than a White Crow" by Roberta Gellis - I couldn't get into this one at all.

I was disappointed with each of...more
Anna
I loved the second story, The Harper's Daughter about Deirdre but I was disappointed in the others, especially Galway Bay by Morgan Llywelyn - perhaps because it was a modern story and i love her historical stories, i didn't enjoy it. Because of that, I'd say try to get this in the library as only one of the four stories is really compelling - then again, it's worth it just for that.
Antoinette
I liked the story " Galway Bay " best. In fact, I loved it ! It was such a touching romance, the slightly cynical American woman who really, deep inside, wants to believe AND the lonely, handsome man who is actually under the selkie's curse. I read this book around the time of Saint Patrick's Day.
Rosi
After three years of dusting off dust on my bookshelf, I finally opened this book. Four enchanting stories, easy read, and all rated PG-13 (mostly touching). Sorry to say, however, I will not be keeping this as part of my library as I do not plan to re-read these stories.
Paula
This one took me forever to read - didn't like it very much. It might have helped if the glossary was in the front of the book - or at least tell the reader that one existed at the end of the book. Still don't think I would have lied it any better.
Lesley
I gave this book a 3-Star rating because of the first three stories - the fourth on was hard to get through - I didn't care about the characters - in other words, the characters didn't come to life for me - flat as the page they were on!!
Kristine
Not terrible, not great. The stories are ok. It's from 1995 since its mostly historical it doesn't seem dated. If you like Irish folklore it may resonate with you
Caelob
got through the first two stories -- hate to not finish a book, but really couldn't get into it and others waiting that I am looking forward to!
Nelly
Short Stories, Totally enjoyed the first two stories, light and easy to read so far. Good lunch hour book, looking forward to finish.
LJ
Irish Magic - Ok
Roberta Gellis, Barbara Samuel, Susan Wiggs, and Morgan Llywelyn

Not my favorite anthology.
Laurie Gold
Susan
LW~3*; Couldn't get into othr stories. Try rdg later
Christi
Jun 23, 2012 Christi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
just now starting seems good so far :)
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Kelly Messick
Kelly Messick marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Susan Schumacher
Susan Schumacher marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
April Dykes
April Dykes marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Scarlett
Scarlett marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Linda
Linda added it
Jul 31, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Whoredom In Kimmage: The Private Lives of Irish Women
  • The Story of Chicago May
  • Faery Magic
  • Mythologies
  • Pirate
  • Highland Vampire (MacNachton Vampires, #2)
  • Beyond the Cliffs of Kerry
  • Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1)
  • Elemental Magic (Includes: Moon, #6.5)
  • The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook
  • Regency Christmas Wishes
  • Gypsy Lord (Garrick, #1)
  • A Tapestry of Dreams (Tales of Jernaeve, #1)
  • Christmas with a Vampire
  • In Praise of Younger Men (Includes: Three Heroes #1/Company of Rogues, #6)
  • Great Irish Tales of Horror: A Treasury of Fear
  • Almost a Goddess (Goddess, #1)
  • All Will Be Well: A Memoir
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org...more
More about Susan Wiggs...
Just Breathe Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1) Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #3) The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles #2) Table for Five