The Random House Book of Fairy Tales

The Random House Book of Fairy Tales

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A lush treasury of 19 fairy tales that generations of children have grown up on, lushly illustrated by Diane Goode.
Published August 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Random House Book of Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Random House Book of Fairy Tales

Derivation Incognita by Diogenes VindexA Year in a Castle by Rachel CoombsThe Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmThe Kingfisher Atlas of the Medieval World by Simon AdamsThe Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer
History Year 2
15th out of 16 books — 4 voters
Mad About Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold LobelThe 20th Century Children's Book Treasury by Janet SchulmanAmelia Bedelia Celebration, An by Peggy ParishA classic treasury by Dr. Seuss
Children's Book Treasuries
56th out of 74 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Dayna
A nice review of the tales themselves. I wasn't too impressed with the illustrations, though. And in my opinion, a good book of fairy tales ought to have some pretty spectacular illustrations!
Amber
This is a great collection of Hans Christian Anderson, The Grimm Brothers and more. I really love this one.
Kirei
I was looking for a multicultural book of traditional fairy tales. I thought I had found it in this book, because the cover shows a black character. But inside the book, the illustrations are NOT multicultural at all. So that is mainly why I give this book only two stars.

The illustrations: They are nothing special. Snow White looks like a greasy haired heroin addict, and they are all sort of drab. I would have preferred a variety of styles because this style gets old fast.

The stories: The storie...more
Johanna Hanson
In UK this is The Walker Book of Fairy Tales.

A nice selection of 19 fairy tales. The stories were well told but the illustrations weren't my favorite.

Included:
The Emperor's New Clothes (Andersen)
The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood (Perrault)
The Elves and the Shoemaker (Grimm)
Rapunzel (Grimm)
The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Grimm)
Jack and the Beanstalk
Snow White (Grimm)
Puss in Boots (Perrault)
Beauty and the Beast (de Beaumont)
The Frog Prince (Grimm)
The Valiant Little Tailor (Grimm)
Red Riding Hood (Gr...more
Suedlana Askharia
This was the first of the three different Fairytale adaptations I read on Beauty & The Beast. This version actually differs a lot from the version I'm used to which is the Disney version of course :) In this story Beauty's father actually had 6 children; 3 boys and 3 girls. The boys were nice but Beauty's sister's were mean. One of the main similarities I found among the three different versions I read was that there was always a ring which allowed Belle to go home and return to the beast. I...more
I'm just not a fan of the fairy tale genre. It is difficult for me to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the story. I mean, come on, a talking mirror, sleeping for one hundred years and waking up looking exactly the seem sans the aide of cyrogenics, pumpkins turning into carriages! Get real! Even as a child I was far too much of a cynic to garner pleasure from anything other than realistic fiction, save for a few exceptions. However, if you do have a fondness for fairy tales, check out this versi...more
Roshini R.
This book contains 19 beloved classic fairy tales from various authors. The collection includes “Rapunzel,” “Thumbelina,” “The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood” to list a few. Fairy tales are based upon oral traditions and convey deeper meaning under the guise of enchanting tales. They are still germane since they address themes such as people’s trials, tribulations, fears and hopes, lessons learned, how people face their problems, prove themselves, and come into their own in the process. The beautif...more
Nichole
I read this for Book It! back in first grade. I was sure it would count as at least two or three books because it is big. Then the teacher pointed out that it had a lot of pictures . . . and the type was pretty large . . . . I was only slightly bummed because this book ROCKS! Sometimes, to this day, I can hear it calling me from the shelf while I'm working and I'll take it down and read a story. The illustrations are gorgeous and in a very uncommon media: colored pencil with water colors on top....more
Nevada Libert
i love this book!
Kristina Bulluck
This is book is a mixture of the classic fairy tales and I really enjoyed it because it is not the same story that most of the kids are used to because it's not the Disney ones. There are some versions of the story in there that I have never even heard as a child.

LE: we would pick a fairy tale out of the book and compare it to the ones that we have heard before.
Tabi {Don't think~Just write~Tell a story}
I liked the fairytales themselves, because they were the more traditional verisions, not as sparkled up as in other versions I've read. But the pictures...ugh. They were just so not fairytale-like. Pictures in fairytales are supposed to make you see the beauty and magic in the stories. These pictures just made me want to look away.
Betsy
This is a terrific introduction to some of the most popular fairy tales. Goode's illustrations are charming, and the "real" stories are told. I like the variety in this volume, too, because it's not all "princess" stories. Kids of all ages and of both genders will enjoy it.
Teri
This is the perfect book of fairy tales in my opinion! Just enough nice illustrations to keep kids interested but leads nicely into longer reading sessions. The stories are SO well told, without all the goofy add-ons of most published fairy tales today. Excellent!
Krystal
This is a book from my childhood and probably my first exposure to fairy tales off-screen and un-Disneyfied. The drawings are beautiful and has a great selection from the Grimm Brothers and Hans Christian Andersen.
Analee
I like a lot of the versions in this book better than most I've read, but they're not as good as the originals.
Peggy
Peggy added it
Aug 08, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Gilbert Gonzalez
Gilbert Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Rachel Danielson
Rachel Danielson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Caleb Danielson
Caleb Danielson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Grignr
Grignr added it
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Amy Ehrlich is the author of more than thirty books for young readers and is also a winner of The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award for her novel Joyride, which was also chosen Booklist Choice Best Book of the Decade. She lives on a farm in Northern Vermont with her husband and a great many domestic and agricultural animals.
More about Amy Ehrlich...
Joyride When I Was Your Age, Volume One: Original Stories About Growing Up Where It Stops, Nobody Knows Baby Dragon Thumbelina