Start by marking “The Random House Book of Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
The Random House Book of Fairy Tales

The Random House Book of Fairy Tales

A lush treasury of 19 fairy tales that generations of children have grown up on, lushly illustrated by Diane Goode.
Published August 12th 1985 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Random House Book of Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Random House Book of Fairy Tales

Dayna
Dec 18, 2013 Dayna rated it really liked it
A nice review of the tales themselves. I wasn't too impressed with the illustrations, though. And in my opinion, a good book of fairy tales ought to have some pretty spectacular illustrations!
Amber
May 08, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of Hans Christian Anderson, The Grimm Brothers and more. I really love this one.
Chelsea Carey
Dec 01, 2016 Chelsea Carey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lit-for-children
Review: This particular book has all of the classic fairy tales combined into one larger book. Stories like Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, Jack and the Bean Stalk, and many others. This story book has only a few pictures for each story, but the stories all have a little bit of a twist in comparison to the movies most children have seen. Overall, I very much enjoyed this book as a child and would definitely reccomend it.

Content: Even though this book is about different fairy tales, I would actua
Amanda Mic Perkins
Beautiful illustrations for some lovely stories.
ABC
Apr 15, 2009 ABC rated it it was ok
I was looking for a multicultural book of traditional fairy tales. I thought I had found it in this book, because the cover shows a black character. But inside the book, the illustrations are NOT multicultural at all. So that is mainly why I give this book only two stars.

The illustrations: They are nothing special. Snow White looks like a greasy haired heroin addict, and they are all sort of drab. I would have preferred a variety of styles because this style gets old fast.

The stories: The storie
Suedlana Askharia
May 19, 2013 Suedlana Askharia rated it really liked it
This was the first of the three different Fairytale adaptations I read on Beauty & The Beast. This version actually differs a lot from the version I'm used to which is the Disney version of course :) In this story Beauty's father actually had 6 children; 3 boys and 3 girls. The boys were nice but Beauty's sister's were mean. One of the main similarities I found among the three different versions I read was that there was always a ring which allowed Belle to go home and return to the beast. I ...more
Johanna Hanson
In UK this is The Walker Book of Fairy Tales.

A nice selection of 19 fairy tales. The stories were well told but the illustrations weren't my favorite.

Included:
The Emperor's New Clothes (Andersen)
The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood (Perrault)
The Elves and the Shoemaker (Grimm)
Rapunzel (Grimm)
The Twelve Dancing Princesses (Grimm)
Jack and the Beanstalk
Snow White (Grimm)
Puss in Boots (Perrault)
Beauty and the Beast (de Beaumont)
The Frog Prince (Grimm)
The Valiant Little Tailor (Grimm)
Red Riding Hood (Gr
May 01, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
I'm just not a fan of the fairy tale genre. It is difficult for me to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy the story. I mean, come on, a talking mirror, sleeping for one hundred years and waking up looking exactly the seem sans the aide of cyrogenics, pumpkins turning into carriages! Get real! Even as a child I was far too much of a cynic to garner pleasure from anything other than realistic fiction, save for a few exceptions. However, if you do have a fondness for fairy tales, check out this ...more
Roshini R.
Feb 11, 2012 Roshini R. rated it really liked it
This book contains 19 beloved classic fairy tales from various authors. The collection includes “Rapunzel,” “Thumbelina,” “The Sleeping Beauty in the Wood” to list a few. Fairy tales are based upon oral traditions and convey deeper meaning under the guise of enchanting tales. They are still germane since they address themes such as people’s trials, tribulations, fears and hopes, lessons learned, how people face their problems, prove themselves, and come into their own in the process. The ...more
Nichole
Oct 10, 2011 Nichole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I read this for Book It! back in first grade. I was sure it would count as at least two or three books because it is big. Then the teacher pointed out that it had a lot of pictures . . . and the type was pretty large . . . . I was only slightly bummed because this book ROCKS! Sometimes, to this day, I can hear it calling me from the shelf while I'm working and I'll take it down and read a story. The illustrations are gorgeous and in a very uncommon media: colored pencil with water colors on top. ...more
Kristina Bulluck
This is book is a mixture of the classic fairy tales and I really enjoyed it because it is not the same story that most of the kids are used to because it's not the Disney ones. There are some versions of the story in there that I have never even heard as a child.

LE: we would pick a fairy tale out of the book and compare it to the ones that we have heard before.
Tabi Card
Dec 18, 2013 Tabi Card rated it really liked it
I liked the fairytales themselves, because they were the more traditional verisions, not as sparkled up as in other versions I've read. But the pictures...ugh. They were just so not fairytale-like. Pictures in fairytales are supposed to make you see the beauty and magic in the stories. These pictures just made me want to look away.
The Dark Krystal
Aug 28, 2008 The Dark Krystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: more-than-once
This is a book from my childhood and probably my first exposure to fairy tales off-screen and un-Disneyfied. The drawings are beautiful and has a great selection from the Grimm Brothers and Hans Christian Andersen.
Teri
Aug 28, 2010 Teri rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book of fairy tales in my opinion! Just enough nice illustrations to keep kids interested but leads nicely into longer reading sessions. The stories are SO well told, without all the goofy add-ons of most published fairy tales today. Excellent!
Betsy
Feb 23, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is a terrific introduction to some of the most popular fairy tales. Goode's illustrations are charming, and the "real" stories are told. I like the variety in this volume, too, because it's not all "princess" stories. Kids of all ages and of both genders will enjoy it.
Ashleigh
Jun 24, 2016 Ashleigh rated it liked it
A lot of the stories were not how they were told to me and obviously different than any Disney movie so it was a nice change and an interesting read.
Analee
Dec 28, 2008 Analee rated it it was ok
I like a lot of the versions in this book better than most I've read, but they're not as good as the originals.
SouthWestZippy
Nice selection of stories. Illustrations are ok. This is a good book to have around for the kids bed time stories or car trips.
lesleymac
lesleymac rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2011
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Mikael
Mikael rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Manisha
Manisha rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Janine Weston
Janine Weston rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2009
Jim Scarantino
Jim Scarantino rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Pamela Robinson
Pamela Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Eliza Wyatt
Eliza Wyatt rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2010
TheIntrovertedOtter
TheIntrovertedOtter rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Courtani
Courtani rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Trupp: A Fuzzhead Tale
  • American Tall Tales
  • Something Queer at the Library (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 3)
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History
  • Eric Carle's ABC
  • Berenstains' A Book (Bright and Early Books for Beginning Beginners)
  • Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • The Unicorn’s Tale (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #4)
  • Christina Katerina & the Box
  • The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack
  • Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children: Selections from Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, O.Henry, London, Longfellow, Irving Aesop, Homer, Cervantes, Hawthorne, and More
  • The Daddy Mountain
  • Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum: A Guide to Catholic Home Education
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • The Gunniwolf
  • The Night Crossing
  • The Reason for a Flower
Amy Ehrlich is the author of more than thirty books for young readers and is also a winner of The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award for her novel Joyride, which was also chosen Booklist Choice Best Book of the Decade. She lives on a farm in Northern Vermont with her husband and a great many domestic and agricultural animals.
More about Amy Ehrlich...