Start by marking “Which President Killed a Man?” as Want to Read:

Which President Killed a Man?

Collection of trivia, history and little-known stories about American Presidents.
Published December 24th 2006 by MJF Books (first published October 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Which President Killed a Man?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Which President Killed a Man?

Scot
Aug 16, 2014 Scot rated it did not like it
I have always loved trivia, and a collection of intriguing, little known facts about the true lives of former presidents sounds like a wonderful compilation to browse.

Unfortunately, this book disappoints. First, there is a strong political bias that grows increasingly annoying. As one reads along, it becomes clear that the further through the 20th century (and into the 21st—the book came out pre-Obama) the references come, the more likely they are to be hagiographic when talking about a Republic
Arminius
May 21, 2012 Arminius rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I usually prefer to read Presidential biographies to learn about the policies which shaped America’s great success (such as President Ronald Reagan’s Cold War policy), hindered America (such as FDR’s New Deal), or left disappointing results (such as President Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society Program). In “Which President Killed a Man?” I find none of this but still found interesting and fascinating information about the leaders of this great country.

Here are a few examples:

President James Garfiel
Peter Sprunger
Jun 02, 2012 Peter Sprunger rated it did not like it
Shelves: history
While I would normally get into this kind of book, I picked up on too many oversights and errors for me to trust the rest of the "facts" presented in this book. The book is poorly researched with only 21 sources which includes 3 books on the first ladies, 14 Presidential biographies (covering only 12 Presidents) and 4 other trivia and/or Presidential fact books.
Annie
May 27, 2013 Annie rated it it was ok
Book was written before Obama, so anyone thinking of using this in their social studies classroom should be aware that it is a bit out-of-date. Also, I got the impression that the author was quite Republican, based on his harsh facts about the Clintons and skimming over of the atrocities of GWB.
Meghan
Jul 25, 2012 Meghan rated it it was amazing

Thomas Jefferson Jumpin out of married women's windows- like a boss
Jim Digiovanni
Mar 19, 2014 Jim Digiovanni rated it liked it
Which President Killed a Man?

Probably several during their military careers. I know the answer to the question posed in the book is Andrew Jackson. But you must assume that many of them must have killed a man. Teddy Roosevelt set it out as a personal goal. By my count 19 presidents gave military service (Including Lincoln in the Kentucky Militia during the Black Foot War)

Here is a reference to all of the Presidents with military service:

I picked up this bo
Kara
May 24, 2012 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes American history
A hilarious collection of anecdotes about our country's various Commander-in-chiefs, all told in a Q&A style, giving you a moment to try and guess each answer (hint: the majority of the answers are Lincoln, Roosevelt or Washington, although Humes does dig up a lot of facts on our more obscure presidents, like the fact that president Taft had a pet cow named Goldie and that president Van Buren started the word "ok".)

The presidential facts bring out the humanity in these leaders, making them
Paul Lunger
May 01, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it
In "What President Killed a Man?", James Humes takes a rather interesting look back at the 43 people at the time who've held the office of President of the U.S. along with the first ladies & Vice Presidents. Across a lot of different topics, we learn facts that are not so obvious about our executives across all facets of their lives. The book itself is done in away that the topics are kept relatively short & Humes doesn't bore you with excess amounts of details. The only catch is there ...more
Michelle
Jan 15, 2015 Michelle rated it did not like it
I am only on page 60 and I have already discovered TWO MAJOR ERRORS in information in this book-- one regarding how President Franklin Pierce's son died, and the other regarding which presidents were widowers going into the White House. Who fact checked this book? This is not even to mention the obvious error using the word "younger" when the author meant "older" for which president was the youngest elected vs. youngest to take office.
I am not a professor or researcher-- just a person who enjoys
Corey
Sep 15, 2012 Corey rated it did not like it
It's weird and a bit sad that the author felt the need to embed his partisan political beliefs into what is portrayed as a light-hearted trivia book. Historians, even very amateur historians like Mr Humes should at least make an attempt to strive for impartiality. Beside that point, the book is pretty sloppily put together and lazily researched. A casual read finds several straight up historical inaccuracies. The author was inspired by the trivia books he read as a child. So in that way he was ...more
Sue
Aug 06, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
This book contained a vast amount of presidential trivia. It seemed very focused on Lincoln, Washington and Teddy Roosevelt. I found the trivia on the other presidents, the first ladies and the vice presidents to be more interesting and more likely info that I didn't know but it was still interesting and a fun and worthwhile read. The Q and A format was also a helpful format. It gave the reader a chance to guess the answers and then gave a short response in case you got the answer right but ...more
Deena
Jun 23, 2012 Deena rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Fascinating little-known facts about American presidents. I thought the best part was learning facts about lesser-known presidents, some of which gave you some context as to why they were elected. Highly recommend reading this book.
Zane
Feb 17, 2013 Zane rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the ultimate book in useless historical trivia that guys like me live off of. I bought it at Half-Price when I was in the 7th grade, and it has always amused me. It's another solid addition to my shelf on American politics and history at home.
Erin
Jun 18, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Interesting information but badly written. Was hoping more for anecdotes than factoids. Also, as the author was a speech writer for 5 republican presidents, he makes no effort to hide his political views and bias.
Patrick
May 24, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of all things trivia and this book more than met my expectations. Especially fun were the facts about the first ladies. I am relatively well read on my Presidential Trivia, but learned quite a few things about the Presidential Wives that I had not know previously.
Jamie
Jul 30, 2016 Jamie rated it liked it
For a trivia book, it could have been written to be a little more interesting.

I think I need a coffee after finishing this.
Stef
Apr 18, 2010 Stef rated it it was amazing
Clearly this book was right up my alley. Lots of really cool tidbits and facts about history and the presidents!
Megan
3.5 stars really. This was a fun book to read, learning all these facts and such about the U. S. presidents. I enjoyed reading it, and I learned a lot. It was very good.
pearl_seeker
Sep 29, 2014 pearl_seeker rated it liked it
Fun to peruse in those little snippets of time when you don't have sufficient time/energy for anything thought-provoking. Fun factoids for everyone.
Timothy Boyd
A fun quick read. Full of interesting odd history facts. Nice book to learn a new historical fact or two each day. Recommended
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Zarrastar
Zarrastar rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Scott Gunstream
Scott Gunstream rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012
Jessica Gunnells
Jessica Gunnells rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Anthony Bergen
Anthony Bergen rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Kris Cram
Kris Cram rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Beth Chambas
Beth Chambas rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Jim Gilmore
Jim Gilmore rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2015
Pj
Pj rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Wedding Ceremony Planner: The Essential Guide to the Most Important Part of Your Wedding Day
  • The Canal Builders: Making America's Empire at the Panama Canal
  • Uncle John's Third Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #3)
  • Reporting World War II Vol. 1: American Journalism 1938-1944
  • English History Made Brief, Irreverent and Pleasurable
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • The Little Book of Conspiracies: 50 of the World's Greatest Theories
  • The Columbia History of the World
  • Lucy's Bones, Sacred Stones & Einstein's Brain : The Remarkable Stories Behind the Great Objects and Artifacts of History from Antiquity to The Modern Era
  • A History of Pirates: Blood and Thunder on the High Seas
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • The Celts
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • Introduction to the History of Christianity
  • A History of Secret Societies
  • Castles (An Original Bantam Gift Book)
  • James Madison: Writings
James C. Humes was Ronald Reagan's speechwriter. He also wrote speeches for George H.W. Bush, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon and Dwight Eisenhower. He has served as a communications advisor to major U.S. corporations, including IBM and DuPont. He is the author of twenty-three other books.
More about James C. Humes...