Start by marking “Montessori: A Modern Approach” as Want to Read:
Montessori: A Modern Approach

Montessori: A Modern Approach

Published October 30th 1988 by Schocken (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Montessori, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montessori

Julie Rylie

Birth to 3 years - sensitive periods and absorted mind
3 to 6 years - bringing unconscious knowledge to a conscious level
6 to 9 years - academic and artistic skills to fit in his culture
9 to 12 years - open to knowledge of the universe itself
12 to 18 years - explore more concentrated areas of interest, choosing paths of endeavor he will follow for life.

5 Sensitive Periods:
1st. Need for order in the environme
Leli
Jul 06, 2013 Leli rated it really liked it
As someone taking the training, this is the most poignant quote in this book, for me:
"...Montessori decided her teachers must each write their own textbook based on their own understanding of Montessori education... her own personal guidebook to refer to, revise, and add to throughout her teaching career.
...By writing her own guidebook, the Montessori teacher is forced to think through her personal approach to the materials and the children on a deeper level than if she were merely handed someo
Deborah
Mar 21, 2017 Deborah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I personally didn't find this any different than any other book I've read on Montessori. Like the majority of the books I've previously read about Montessori this one is basically a repeat of the same information -
1. Historical Introduction to Montessori
2. The Montessori Philosophy
3.The Montessori Method
4. Discovery of the Child
5. The Absorbent Mind
6. The Secret of Childhood

So if you've already read Maria Montessori's books or an actually Modern Montessori book(say one that's less than a decade
Joseph Harris
Montessori: A Modern Approach has been called the single best book for anyone -- educator, childcare professional, and especially parent -- seeking answers to the questions: What is the Montessori method? Are its revolutionary ideas about early childhood education relevant to today's world? And most important, especially for today's dual-career couples. Is a Montessori education right for my child?Paula Polk Lillard writes both as a trained educators and as a concerned parent -- she has many yea ...more
Ietrio
Jun 03, 2016 Ietrio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
Montessori was not revolutionary. She was rehashing ideas common in the era which are less known today. Montessori and her inspiration were unaware of the current physiology and biochemistry. She was very religious and most of what she and her disciples call science is plain observation and correlation. Now 'a modern approach' is a technique much used in the religion and it means rewriting the same old junk with current terminology. Put plainly, the author is unable to push out something origina ...more
Stephanie
Oct 25, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
As someone who had a very limited knowledge of Montessori's methods, this was the perfect book with which to begin. It wasn't an easy read, with a fair amount of educational and philosophical theory presented. But, when I approached it as a textbook written for teachers, it provided enough historical background as well as practical descriptions to encourage me to learn more using resources listed in the bibliography. Not a book for those interested in Montessori just in passing, but I don't supp ...more
Yasemin Giray Tosunoğlu
Maria Montessori'nin okul öncesi dönemdeki çocuklarla çalışmaları hakkında bilgi veren bir kitap. Bilgiler zaman zaman Montessori'nin kendi cümleleri ile desteklenmiş. Maria Montessori'nin bakış açısı, çalışmalarının gelişimi ve gözlemlerini aktaran bu kitapta, aslında gözlem yolu ile olgunlaşan Montessori yaklaşımının sürekli geliştirilmesi gereken bir yaklaşım olduğu belirtilmiş. Çocuklarla ilgilenen herkes Maria Montessori'nin teknikleri ve görüşleri hakkında bilgi veren bu kitabı okumalı.
Starr
Sep 29, 2012 Starr rated it liked it
Riveting. Okay, not riveting. In fact, not even close. "Dry" is an understatement as to how un-engaging this book can be at times. However, I did learn all about the Montessori method and now realize that many schools that call themselves Montessori-based are flat out lying. I can see why some parents become disciples of the method (and also why I am not one of them).
Deanne
Jan 20, 2010 Deanne rated it liked it
Shelves: educational
I'm not in agreement that this is the best overview of Montessori, and
the author has many outdated notions and ideas regarding the philosophies.
I think it's time a new book were written for modern-day Montessori, but then again every movement needs progressive thinking and reform to stay current and relevant.
Rinna
Feb 07, 2008 Rinna rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites on the Montessori Method of teaching - the best method I know of teaching kids in the preschool years. For those of you that know me, I have a home preschool patterned after the Montessori approach -- this book gives a nice overview.
Lolly
Jun 07, 2012 Lolly rated it liked it

Dry, as commented by someone else, and could have elaborated more on some of Montessori's methods and how they are still very relevant today. Not the first book I would recommend for this subject area.
Sacha
Feb 22, 2013 Sacha rated it it was amazing
Succinct introduction. It is only about 150 pages and of that I didn't even need to read the last chapter. That chapter was selling the method, but I was sold. It was also talking about 'modern' applications. This is when I realized the book was written in the 1970s.
Adam
Jun 15, 2013 Adam rated it liked it
An interesting read for someone experienced in education but new to the approach. It cleared up a lot if the myths I had heard about Montessori education and showed once again that good teaching practice is good teaching practice: regardless of curriculum or approach.
Jessica Dornieden
May 16, 2014 Jessica Dornieden rated it it was amazing
A great summary of the Montessori method essentials!
Yvonne
Jan 11, 2009 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Yvonne by: Rinna
This is yet another great book to introduce and deepen one's understanding of Dr. Montessori's methods for guiding children to educate and develop themselves.
Janel
Dec 06, 2013 Janel rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching
I feel like I am much more knowledgable about Montessori's educational approach and it is interesting to compare the to-a-tee Montessori traditional method with branches from it.
Mary-Jane
Sep 03, 2009 Mary-Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Bekah
Oct 10, 2008 Bekah rated it really liked it
Helpful for me as parent who didn't do Montessori schooling as a child, but who sends her kids to a Montessori School.
B
Oct 09, 2011 B marked it as to-read
Shelves: kidlet
So fascinated with different early childhood learning methods right now for some reason...
Jenn
Sep 25, 2007 Jenn rated it liked it
Easier to read than other books on the subject. But can still be a bit dry.
Bea Justine
i think it's very beautiful story about maria Montessori.. being a Montessori I'm very proud.
Katie
Nov 13, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
An excellent overview of the history, philosophy, and practice of the Montessori approach to education. The final chapter is a bit dated, but the rest of the material is quite good.
Bethany
Oct 22, 2011 Bethany rated it liked it
A little dry, but very helpful in describing B's new world.
Melissa
Jan 04, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
A good explanation of what the Montessori method involves.
CR Reading
CR Reading rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Despina
Despina rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Selene
Selene rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
  • Basic Montessori: Learning Activities For Under-Fives
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • The Tao of Montessori: Reflections on Compassionate Teaching
  • Maria Montessori: A Biography
  • Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six
  • Touchpoints 3 to 6
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • What's Going On in There? How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • Waldorf Education: A Family Guide

“Adults must aim to diminish their egocentric and authoritarian attitude toward the child and adopt a passive attitude in order to aid in his devleopment.” 5 likes
“The child doesn't just live in his environment, it becomes a part of him.” 5 likes