Start by marking “The Geeks' Guide to World Domination: Be Afraid, Beautiful People” as Want to Read:
The Geeks' Guide to World Domination: Be Afraid, Beautiful People

The Geeks' Guide to World Domination: Be Afraid, Beautiful People

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  63 reviews
TUNE IN. TURN ON. GEEK OUT.
Sorry, beautiful people. These days, from government to business to technology to Hollywood, geeks rule the world.

Finally, here’s the book no self-respecting geek can live without–a guide jam-packed with 314.1516 short entries both useful and fun. Science, pop-culture trivia, paper airplanes, and pure geekish nostalgia coexist as happily in thes...more
Published March 10th 2009 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Geeks' Guide to World Domination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Geeks' Guide to World Domination

Jdorkman301
Sep 25, 2009 Jdorkman301 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jdorkman301 by: Dani
Join us or die, you will.
Begun, the Geek Wars have.
\m/[>.<:]\m/

=^_^=

><((((*>

----<--{@

d-(^_^)-b

If you don't recognize these emoticons, this book is for you. :)
Liz Phillips
This is a fantastic book that I would recommend to geeks and nerds alike.
Gemma
It's really helped me in my journey to become Supreme Leader Of The Universe. Now rise my minions,rise! MWAHAHAHAHAA...HAA...Ha...ha 'cough cough'. But seriously, it's awesome.
Traci
After realizing this title had been on my Amazon wish list for about two years, I gave up and requested it as an inter-library loan. I waited a few weeks for delivery, and voila! Geekdom at my fingertips! Joy and much singing in the land until..... I realize this is not exactly what I thought it was.

For some weird reason, I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that it was more of a typical non-fiction book. Or perhaps I thought it was a novel, I don't know. In any case, it was not what...more
Steven
Hard to classify this book but it's a fun collection of geekish trivia and short-and-sweet info nuggets.

If nothing else, I'm beholden to this book for reminding me how to use that abacus that's collected dust on my desk for decades ever since I forgot how to use it. Strange, given that it's the only calculator I've ever owned other than ones that come pre-bundled with computer operating systems. ;)

I also know how to tap maple trees and make syrup.

There. Haven't I sold you on reading this book...more
Patrick
We will rule the world someday, so everyone might as well begin to accept it now. Hilarious how-to guide and reference book for all sorts of esoteric and fun things. From 5 Cool Constants from the World of Physics(such as g) to How to Brew Your Own Beer and How to Build a Laser, this book has tons of interesting tidbits to explore. I'll definitely be keeping this close at hand as the Geek Revolution begins.
Sara
made me laugh out loud so many times. its like a hilarious, condensed dictionary of thing that really are important in life. like star trek/che guevera quotes, impossible math problems, and how to brew your own beer! ha ha ha
Tessa
i loved this book and liked knowing all the random information that came with it. And i never got bored especially since there was so many brain teasers and puzzles.
Glynis
An oddball collection of how-tos, what-ifs, and wonderfully obscure trivia written in a fun--and intelligent--way.

Enjoyed.
Taylor
Jan 14, 2010 Taylor added it
Shelves: 9th-grade
OMG IT WAS SOOO GOOD I AM A GEEK FEAR ME
Chris
THIS IS THE BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD!
Lauren
Yes, I consider myself a geek. But despite what the author claims, this book seems to be meant for geeks and non-geeks alike. For non-geeks, topics such as nuclear energy, thermodynamics, and the subtleties of the Klingon language are explained in easy-to-understand terms that even the non-geek brain can grasp. For geeks, there are ample opportunities to indulge in our various geeky obsessions...for me, the sections on J.R.R. Tolkein were particularly satisfying. This book gives geeks a reason t...more
Joe Maddox
Look, if you're actually a geek, then right around time the author starts discussing how Gimli both accompanied Frodo to Mordor and went with Bilbo to Erebor (for those of you who are uninitiated, this is not the case) you'll want to throw the book across the room. If you're like me and you read this book while dropping the kids off at the pool (in your bathroom where the wall is ~3 feet in front of your face) then the book won't make it very far.

Come to think of it, that's actually a pretty goo...more
B. Doane
An awesome book.

Perfect for any true geek.

It's sorted out into small categories, so you can easily find whatever information you need. The notes in the end clarify any issues you may have had, and the last few pages are reserved for notes.

All of the thought puzzles in it are fun to solve.

It makes a perfect guide I've used mine until the cover fell off and the pages wore out. It's great for travelling, both for usefulness and just for fun.

My only complaints:
(view spoiler)...more
Joewoolworth
I found this book in comic book store in Chapel Hill while killing some time one afternoon. It is a humor book by Garth Sundem. The Tagline is:

be afraid, beautiful people
There are exactly 314.15 entries in this geek manifesto that is a homeage to all things geek from “The quotable Yoda” to “Things that will make your brain hurt” this book had me interested all the way through.

The writing style is sarcastic and dripping with satire. If you are interested in joining the geek army for the global-ta...more
K. Smith
Don't get me wrong--I love geeks and trivia filled books. My problem was that I decided to read this like a book. If I had just grabbed some friends and skimmed through--picking and choosing as I went--it would have been both informative and hilarious. Instead, it came off as trying too hard to be funny and trying too hard to be a stereotypical geek. I am a geek, but in the way this book came across.
Crying shame really.
Tom Bryant
Christopher
This book is essentially bathroom reading. 314 different snippets of trivia and thought that should interest the average geek.

I'm a little leery of some of the facts though since some content was off-base (no Gimli was not one of Bilbo's companions in The Hobbit, that was his father, Gloin).

Interesting when you don't have much else at hand, but not much good for reference (no organization what-so-ever) and not really compelling tom read through in order.
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Well, I thought I was lord of the geeks – apparently not. While I knew most of the stuff in the book, some was new to me (I didn’t know Fabio had released an Album! OMG). The real shocker was the stuff I knew but didn’t really care about (Klingon is cute, but I don’t understand peoples obsession with a Science Fictional Language – same as I don’t understand Elvish speakers. To deal with that I am about to read covers invented languages)..
This book really isn’t aimed at geeks, more for those who...more
Peter Gorman II
Awesome, and right up my alley. Works almost like an encyclopedia for geekdom. My favorites include, a wine chart, geocaching help, ordering chinese in chinese, and easy guiter chords. A little all-over-the-place, but kind of had to be. Loved it!
Mohsen
A fun read, filled with interesting information for a person in high school. Not any older than that.
The title has so much more potential for it, and to be honest it's the reason why I bought the whole thing, but it let me down.

The style of writing is catchy, but not enough, I have to admit I skipped some chapters because they were slightly boring and not that interesting.

I would have hoped to see something sarcastic and geeky enough to grab my attention, but it failed me. Yet the three stars...more
JJ
Nov 17, 2009 JJ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trivia buffs, those who read in the bathroom
It's an alright book if, as the title suggests, you're a complete TRIVIA geek.

I emphasize TRIVIA because that's really all you're getting here. As a Web Developer by trade, I sort of took "geek" to mean television, computers, science fiction etc. (...and just reading the back page alone before purchase I saw they mentioned Search Engine Optimization and agreed, I am the geek they're talking about here.)

Upon finishing, I realized I wasn't exactly that geek. I found a majority of the trivia rather...more
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Some fun facts.. but mostly stuff I didn't care about. I had hoped this would be funny. Alas, no.
Summer Seeds
This book was really not what I was expecting. Obviously I was wrong, but I was under the impression that this was going to be a typical non-fiction, novel-like guide book, not this chaotic jumble of random facts. Also, any true geek would have started flipping shit when Sundem began talking about Lord of the Rings and said that Gimli actually accompanied Frodo all the way to Mordor and also went with Bilbo to Erebor. Errr, no. I was hoping for more and was sorely disappointed.
Intplibrarian
Funny AND educational.[return][return]I love this kind of book. One of the best of this genre I've read, I think.[return][return]Definitely have Wikipedia nearby for full enjoyment. Sometimes, you just gotta look it up for more info![return][return]Only 4.5 stars instead of 5 because 1) it's lacking an index and 2) there are too many parts where it's obvious the author assumes only MALES are reading the book. Obviously, not true.
Marjanne
Jun 21, 2009 Marjanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: geeks
This book was a fun read. I realized that I'm not as much of a geek as I thought I was (or maybe I'm just not a computer geek and just some other kind of geek). This is a collection of short trivial bits of information. Some of it was dumb, some was challenging, and some actually taught me a few things (like how to read an abacus). The author also has a sense of humor and embraces his geekiness which just made it more fun to read.
Cindy
This book is basically a bathroom book of slightly geeky trivia -- but then again, what trivia isn't geeky? There is a broad range of topics, some of which was interesting, and some of which was frankly textbook-boring. I liked the Sam Lloyd puzzles the best.

I got this book as part of a 2 for $20 deal with a Russell Peters DVD, and probably wouldn't have bought it on its own.
A book for any geek who knows way too much random trivia or wants to know more random trivia. I will admit though, this book did make me feel a bit less geeky because there was so much in this book that I didn't know. . . until I encountered the "write your name in Elvish" section which I already know how to do and also know some more advanced/lesser used characters.
MikeS
If you ever find yourself in need of further paper, rock, scissors strategy, or curious about which secret combination(s) to join, or how to have sex in Second Life, then this is THE book for you. It's like a combination of Schott's Miscellany and one of those hardware store Pocket Refs... for WoW fans. Packed with info and ready to get your geek on.
Stacey
Something I grabbed from Borders with a coupon (love those coupons!) when the Downtown's graphic novel selection (and mess) failed me.

It was kind of cute, and had a lot of little interesting facts and figures in it, though it wasn't quite as good as the Schott's Miscellanies. The first half seemed more geeky than the second.
  • Geek Wisdom: The Sacred Teachings of Nerd Culture
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
  • Think Smart: A Neuroscientist's Prescription for Improving Your Brain's Performance
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs, A Parody
  • When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book
  • The Geek Atlas
  • F My Life
  • Book of Totally Useless Information
  • Book of the bizarre
  • The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Einstein's Refrigerator and Other Stories from the Flip Side of History
  • Fuck This Book
Garth works at the intersection of math, science, and humor, with a background including a growing list of bestselling books, a Magna Cum Laude pre-med/music degree from Cornell University, and math-for-hire for mobile app and tech companies. In addition to conferences, colleges, and bookstores, you may have seen Garth's work on the Science Channel, where he's a frequent onscreen contributor, onli...more
More about Garth Sundem...
Brain Trust: 93 Top Scientists Reveal Lab-Tested Secrets to Surfing, Dating, Dieting, Gambling, Growing Man-Eating Plants, and More! Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons Geek Logik: 50 Foolproof Equations for Everyday Life Real Kids, Real Stories, Real Change: Courageous Actions Around the World Beyond IQ: Scientific Tools for Training Problem Solving, Intuition, Emotional Intelligence, Creativity, and More