Start by marking “Major Benjy” as Want to Read:
Major Benjy

Major Benjy (Lucia #9)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This welcome addition to the hugely popular Mapp and Lucia series finds Major Flint in need of a new servant, Miss Mapp in need of a summer tenant, and Quaint Irene in need of a pint of bitter. Romantic entanglements stir the still waters of Tilling society, cunning plots are laid, and unforeseen complications ensue. Who is doing what to whom with a bottle of sesame oil? W ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Troubador Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Major Benjy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Major Benjy

Jim
Oct 19, 2008 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Jeeves and Wooster
Anyone who appreciates the humour of P G Wodehouse will love this book. It is written in a style that makes it virtually impossible to distinguish it from the writings of the author E F Benson (who wrote the original Mapp and Lucia novels. This is not the kind of book I would have bought myself - I was sent a review copy - but I found myself caught up in it by end of the first chapter. Really hard to fault. You can read my full review here.
Jane Walker
Not my cup of tea at all. I hadn't read any of the original books bt E F Benson, and would have avoided this if I had. It depicts the empty lives of tedious people with nothing to do, and does it in mannered prose which grates very quickly. Even though I managed to plough through the description of a game of bridge which is incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't play the game, I gave up half way through the book, feeling that I must have something better to do.
Stig
I read E.F. Benson's wonderful Mapp and Lucia books last year and then recently discovered that there were actually two series of continuations, homages or whatever you want to call them, one by Guy Fraser-Sampson and one by Tom Holt. I've now begun the Fraser-Sampson series, and what a great read it is! He catches the tone of the original books perfectly, while adding some racier elements (Major Benjy's "singing lessons" is a stroke of genius) that do not seem out of place at all. Very funny an ...more
Charlotte
I heartily concur with WebleyWebster's review of this delightful resurrection of some of my favorite characters from the Benson series. To experience them in depth, as Fraser-Sampson has done has given confirmation to those traits we could heretofore only see in our imagination. His vivid description of Miss Mapp's style of walking & her head tilt caught her beautifully; right on the mark!
My only criticism is the vast number of typos. Editors: "heads up"!
Isabel
so happy there are people like guy fraser-sampson and tom holt who have kept us 'lucia addicts' up to date on the antics of our favourite tillingites. fraser-sampson has captured the style and language of e.f. benson almost perfectly. i really enjoyed this book and hope for more, of course. the only thing that irked me just a tiny bit was the continuous references to incidents in the e.f. benson books. a great read, though.
Ian Simpson
This is a sort of literary sitcom, the situation a seaside English village during the 1920s, the comedy coming from the eccentric characters who populate it. They scheme and gossip over tea and bridge and the skulduggery that goes on before the cake-making competition reaches epic proportions. It is absurd, very British and great fun. The author adopts a wordy, erudite style which suits the time and the story well.
Vanessa
Sex bursts into the drawing rooms of Tilling. Sex so noisy it can be heard by people in the street. It's all a bit disconcerting. I suppose if you had a grandmother like Miss Mapp and walked in and discovered her smoothing massage oil over the gardener, you would feel like I did while reading this book. Disconcerted. Admiring yes, but also preferring people to stay as they were when one first knew them.
Cheryl
Very enjoyable read. A real page-turner.
Allison Paton
Allison Paton marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Jennifer Severino
Jennifer Severino marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
deiia
deiia marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Beatrice Nearey
Beatrice Nearey marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Siobhan Burns
Siobhan Burns marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Mskarla
Mskarla marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Mizzo73
Mizzo73 marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Jun 22, 2014

Lucia (6 books)
  • Queen Lucia (Lucia, #1)
  • Miss Mapp (Lucia, #3)
  • Lucia in London (Lucia, #2)
  • Mapp and Lucia (Lucia, #4)
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)
Lucia on Holiday Private Equity as an Asset Class Au Reservoir: A new Mapp and Lucia novel No Fear Finance: An Introduction to Finance and Investment for the Non-finance Professional The Mess We're In: Why Politicians Can't Fix Financial Crises