Start by marking “The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)

The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  3,400 ratings  ·  143 reviews
FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell and her partner Tully investigate two cases--the murder of a senator's daughter in Washington, D.C., and a deadly shootout in Massachusetts, both of which are linked to Reverend Joseph Everett, who is dating Maggie's mother.
Published July 1st 2003 by Mira Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul Catcher

The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisDarkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff LindsayRed Dragon by Thomas HarrisAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton EllisThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
I Like Serial Killers
249th out of 610 books — 926 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenMatilda by Roald DahlThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Female Character
448th out of 657 books — 468 voters

More lists with this book...

Bigd_041555
This Waco-type book was just excellent. Had me guessing right to the end actually. I thought I had it all figured out, but it appears I didn't - my bad!

Maggie O'Dell is such a flawed character - you just have to love her and especially now that she has a dog to keep her company!!!

Alex Kava knows how to keep you on your toes, and puts out a great story. You can tell she has done her research on the various aspects of this particular case.

2 thumbs up and 5 stars - onto "At The Stroke Of Madness"!
Mary JL
Oct 26, 2011 Mary JL rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Desperate and/or patient mystery fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at booksale.
Shelves: mystery-horror
This particular book in a popular series I found only so-so.

First, Maggie O'Dell did not impress me. She spends a lot of time on her personal problems---reliving her father's death, problems with her alcoholic mother and her own emtional problems. How did this lady every pass a psychological exam? (Maybe the FBI does not care about the stability of their agents--woundn't surprise me!)

Next, the villain of the piece is the sterotype we've all seen--the fundamentalist leader of a religious cult, an
Nalini
I started reading this book after it kept falling off my bookshelf (I took it as a sign, and I don't regret it.)

I love the show "Criminal Minds" (Not because of Shemar Moore alone :p ) but because the human mind is fascinating and their thought process even more so. So, when I started this book and read that it was about FBI and more specifically, Behavioural Science Unit, I was taken with it.

What Kava did was combine a realistic, yet a bit far-fetched at points, situation into a story that gri
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Book 3. in the "Maggie O'Dell" series. We get a link here from book 2., in that Maggie's mother had mentioned that she was being helped by a Reverend Everett and now, this book deals with the cult he runs. There are a series of murders of women and the evidence starts to point towards the cult and its controlling leader, Everett. Maggie is worried about what her mother is mixed up in their relationship is more deeply examined in this book. Nick Morelli turns up again in this one and I am now get ...more
Katie
Definitely skimmed the Gwen and Tully interactions. Their chemistry is nonexistent.

A bisexual woman in non-erotic fiction! It's like spotting a unicorn. Too bad the author had to give her such a terrible reputation.
Elvan
3.5 stars.
Lots happening once again in this third book in the Maggie O'Dell series. I'm not a big fan of the religious cult Jonestown/Davidian books so maybe I was challenged a bit to stay focused and suspend belief as I tried to pick out the killer from the herd.
The author telegraphed the villain at around 70 % so it was a mop up read for me from that point, and a not altogether happy ending (for the killer) for which I had been hoping.
There are lots of loose threads that need to be tightened a
Cláudia
It took me almost 2 weeks to read this book, I didn't have enough time and availability but at the same time it wasn't really appealing to me, I found it a lot weaker than the previous 2 of the series and wasn't quite that interested.
I think the story drags a lot and there were really no surprises to me, wasn't the ending almost all totally obvious?? And after so many things happened, it just ends like that? Is it so easy to catch and get rid of killers?
It didn't satisfy me at all. I'm only c
Ashley
Great crime thriller.
Was a fun fast paced read, I enjoy a book that seems like "it could happen" when the story isn't believable I'm done. And the author seems to have done a lot of research and made good use of it for this book(I hope the series!!)
Was a 402 pg book but it went by like nothing.. It really was a great read!

I will be buying more of the Maggie O' Dell series..FOR SURE!!

Clara Dearmore Strom
Didn't like it. It didn't hold my interest and gosh can't some writers come up with a bad guy who is NOT a wacko, "Christian", cult, conservative, Republican, capitalist? For creative people they sure are limiting themselves.
Ricardo
The worst of Kava's books in her series so far. It's like she sent an outline to the editor, went on holidays, and somebody filled in the plot to connect the ideas. A complete letdown compared to her previous 2 books
Dyann
I really enjoyed this book. I have enjoyed the whole series so far. Maggie finds out a little bit about her dad in this book and I am sure that will come into play in the future. She reminds me of me when it comes to family just a little. I would go into detail about how but my family may read this review!! haha. They will have to read the book to find out how. My only real beef with this book was that there were too many people who were really involved with the whole thing. Like her mother and ...more
Brenda
I thought this was very well written, the same type of story as Portrait in Death by JD Robb, but in my opinion, slightly better here, but the concept is almost identical, even some of the wording and the reason behind it to a point is identical. Not saying Kava got the idea from Robb or vice-versa, just noting some similarities.

The only reason I gave this a 4 star and not a 5, is I figured out who did it long before O'Dell, who was very distracted by her mother issues, but still as a profiler
Kris
4 STARS

"For FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell, there is nothing routine about being called in to work these two cases. As an expert criminal profiler, Maggie provides psychological insight on cases that involve suspected serial killers. She can't understand, then, why her boss, Assistant Director Cunningham, has assigned her to these two seemingly unrelated crimes. But as Maggie and her partner, Special Agent R. J. Tully, delve into the two cases, they learn that there is a connection between the
Cornerofmadness
Cupcakencorset
This, the 3rd Maggie O’Dell novel, is such an engaging read. It centers around a religious cult and a string of murders that seem to follow the cult followers. Maggie’s alcoholic mother has been in recovery, thanks to three very special friends, whom we find out in this book are part of the cult and have been drawing her further into the group’s inner workings, putting her life in peril. Kava began this subplot subtly in book two, laying a seemingly innocuous foundation there for one of the emot ...more
Ana T.
"When a Massachusetts standoff results in the deaths of five out of six young cult members holed up in a backwoods cabin, things are bad enough. But when a U.S. senators daughter is found murdered in Washington, D.C."and her death seems to be related to the cult and its charismatic leader, Rev. Joseph Everett"the situation really heats up for Maggie and her partner, R.J. Tully. The case hits particularly close to both partners homes, since Maggies former alcoholic mother has joined Everetts chur ...more
Kristin
It had been a while since I read the first two books in this series so I was a little fuzzy on the storyline up to this point. While this still features FBI Agent Maggie O'Dell, her partner Tully, and many of the other characters from the first two books, it does not continue the storyline of the serial killer Stucky. Instead, women who have attended religious rallies are found dead and the FBI is on the case because one of their Agents dies after a gun battle with members of the same religious ...more
Chris
Ja Hawkins
Alex Kava is one of my favorite authors. Love all of her work! This was the first book of hers that I read. Needless to say I loved it so much I had to read them all. I started reading her books back in January of 2006. Every book of hers that I've read has kept me wanting more. Maggie Odell is a very likable and interesting character. It's very refreshing to read novels based on strong female characters.
Susan
Alex Kava can create page-turners and this is no exception. I guessed who the killer was before the end of the story, but that didn't lessen my enjoyment of the book. I'm enjoying getting to know the protagonist, Maggie O'Dell, better as some layers of her personal history were revealed in this story. The romance with Nick Morelli is non-existent in this book, but he does make a brief appearance.
Al

For FBI special agent Maggie O'Dell, there is nothing routine about being called in to work these two cases. As an expert criminal profiler, Maggie provides psychological insight on cases that involve suspected serial killers. She can't understand, then, why she has been assigned to two seemingly unrelated crimes.

But as Maggie and her partner, Special Agent R. J. Tully, delve deeper into the cases, they discover there is a connection: Reverend Joseph Everett, the charismatic leader of a high-p

Dark Star
Gripping story that had me pretty much hooked from the beginning. Crazy religious group, lost souls and a morbid photographer are just a touch of what you'll find. Interesting ending. Second Maggie O'Dell book I've read by Alex Kava. I will definitely check out more of the Maggie stories.
Carol Macdowell
Another great Maggie O'Dell mystery. Tight plot. Lovable characters that evolve with each book - an ongoing thread that makes the characters live.
Maggie makes progress with her mother in this one, and although the ending isn't super happy, it hints at happiness in the future. Just as good.
Myrna
When I first started this series, I had the misfortune to read quite a few badly written books and was desperate for anything half decent. My how times have changed! I've been fortunate to recently read quite a few amazing books, and this series is not living up to the higher bar that has been set. Adios, Maggie O'Dell!
Afsana
I enjoyed this book but found that the pace of the book was slower

i think i enjoyed it more the first time round .

It is one f the books that are better read once and can be enjoyed scond time but no so much

The maggie o'dell characters past we hear more about by hearing about her dad , meeting her mum and the flashbacks.

We see a improvement in her relationship to RJ Tully and see a bit further into her relationship with Gwen

the surprise was that Greg heer soon to be ex wants to get back together

A
Kristin
Maggie and her mother complicated relationship are entangled within this book. Secrets are revealed and are shocking, but hopefully leads to having a better mother daughter relationship. The suspense keeps you guessing until the very end. Great read.
Ameerah
Predictable storytelling with the misogynist thread that seems to run through a lot of mystery/crime novels lately. Sure the lead in the story is a female but does that excuse the constant- and graphic- violence against women. I would perhaps - perhaps- been able to look past this had the story been compelling. But it was not.
Brian Krause
I've enjoyed the previous two much more than this one. I had this figured out halfway through. The characters were lacking....a lot. Even our heroine seemed a shadow of her former self. If the next one isn't better, I'm giving up on this author.
Victoria
This was a great continuation of the series! I really enjoyed it! Right off the bat, it had a different sort of feel from the series' two previous books. The theme of family played a large role, making this a more emotional book than the others. Maggie O'Dell's character has not developed much, bu this does feel like the first step in that direction. The central, series romance was unfortunately abandoned, and some loose threads from Split Second remained un-addressed. I really like this series ...more
Sam
This is only the second book I've read by Kava but I must say she does write a good fast paced story with good character development. Granted there isn't much that is particularly shocking or amazingly standout about this but then sometimes you just want a good manhunt with a witty messed up detective. Nothing too complicated or too heavy this book is a good easy read that keeps moving and keeps you turning the page and covers the psychology of cults and their leaders rather well without letting ...more
  • Slices of Night
  • Will You Die for Me?
  • Afterlight (Last Light, #2)
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Watch Them Die
  • While Galileo Preys
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • Blood Vines
  • The Gatekeeper (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #3)
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • Silenced (Lucy Kincaid #4)
  • Kill Switch (Claire Waters, #1)
  • Skin and Bone
Alex Kava is the New York Times bestselling author of thirteen novels, eleven of them in the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was chosen for the 2006 One Book One Nebraska and her political thriller, Whitewash, made January Magazine’s best thriller of the year list for 2007. Published in over twenty-five countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestse ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Slices of Night
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1) A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5) Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2) Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6) At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)