Start by marking “The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)

The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell #3)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  4,459 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell and her partner Tully investigate two cases--the murder of a senator's daughter in Washington, D.C., and a deadly shootout in Massachusetts, both of which are linked to Reverend Joseph Everett, who is dating Maggie's mother.
Published July 1st 2003 by Mira Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul Catcher

Phrynne
Mar 03, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was ok
Number three in the series and I am still not getting it. Maggie is supposed to be an intelligent, experienced, well trained professional. So please can she stop doing silly things, drinking too much and waffling endlessly about her past. Move on!!! I actually found this book too long, rather boring and needing some tight editing. The identity of the murderer was apparent about two thirds of the way through and from there I started skimming. I am reading this series for a challenge so I will try ...more
Jonetta
When a young girl is found murdered near a DC memorial, FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell and her partner, R. J. Tully are brought onto the case when it appears there may be a serial killer at large. The victim had attended a rally nearby, led by the leader of a religious cult, suspected of having ties to another case and dubious behavior by him and his inner circle.

I found this story to be stronger than the first two, even though it continues to belabor Maggie's personal issues. I'm finding the suppo
Robin
Mar 04, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, 2016
FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell and her partner, R.J. Tully, are assigned a case where six young men staged a standoff with FBI Agents. Only one boy is left alive. The rest killed themselves with cyanide laced tablets. As Maggie and Tully work the case, they are assigned a second case. A teenage girl has been found raped and murdered. Her body left posed behind the FDR monument in Washington, D.C. The two investigators soon discover a connection between the cases. The link is Reverend Joseph Eve ...more
Diane
Nov 20, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing
This Waco-type book was just excellent. Had me guessing right to the end actually. I thought I had it all figured out, but it appears I didn't - my bad!

Maggie O'Dell is such a flawed character - you just have to love her and especially now that she has a dog to keep her company!!!

Alex Kava knows how to keep you on your toes, and puts out a great story. You can tell she has done her research on the various aspects of this particular case.

2 thumbs up and 5 stars - onto "At The Stroke Of Madness"!
Mary JL
Oct 26, 2011 Mary JL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Desperate and/or patient mystery fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at booksale.
Shelves: mystery-horror
This particular book in a popular series I found only so-so.

First, Maggie O'Dell did not impress me. She spends a lot of time on her personal problems---reliving her father's death, problems with her alcoholic mother and her own emtional problems. How did this lady every pass a psychological exam? (Maybe the FBI does not care about the stability of their agents--woundn't surprise me!)

Next, the villain of the piece is the sterotype we've all seen--the fundamentalist leader of a religious cult, an
K.
Definitely skimmed the Gwen and Tully interactions. Their chemistry is nonexistent.

A bisexual woman in non-erotic fiction! It's like spotting a unicorn. Too bad the author had to give her such a terrible reputation.
Nalini
Jul 30, 2013 Nalini rated it liked it
I started reading this book after it kept falling off my bookshelf (I took it as a sign, and I don't regret it.)

I love the show "Criminal Minds" (Not because of Shemar Moore alone :p ) but because the human mind is fascinating and their thought process even more so. So, when I started this book and read that it was about FBI and more specifically, Behavioural Science Unit, I was taken with it.

What Kava did was combine a realistic, yet a bit far-fetched at points, situation into a story that gri
Christa
Jun 06, 2015 Christa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
This was another great addition to the Maggie O'Dell series. This one involved a creepy cult whose young members are completely controlled by the enigmatic leader. Maggie's own mother is caught up in the organization. As the bodies of young females are found, it soon becomes clear that there is a tie-in to this group. Maggie and her partner, R.J. Tully are tasked with investigating the murders.

The Soul Catcher grabbed my attention right away, and I loved delving back into Maggie's world. I liked
Brenda
Jan 10, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
I thought this was very well written, the same type of story as Portrait in Death by JD Robb, but in my opinion, slightly better here, but the concept is almost identical, even some of the wording and the reason behind it to a point is identical. Not saying Kava got the idea from Robb or vice-versa, just noting some similarities.

The only reason I gave this a 4 star and not a 5, is I figured out who did it long before O'Dell, who was very distracted by her mother issues, but still as a profiler
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Jul 07, 2011 Mary Gilligan-Nolan rated it really liked it
Book 3. in the "Maggie O'Dell" series. We get a link here from book 2., in that Maggie's mother had mentioned that she was being helped by a Reverend Everett and now, this book deals with the cult he runs. There are a series of murders of women and the evidence starts to point towards the cult and its controlling leader, Everett. Maggie is worried about what her mother is mixed up in their relationship is more deeply examined in this book. Nick Morelli turns up again in this one and I am now get ...more
Melissa
Apr 27, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
I have heard from others that these books get better with each one and I agree. Maggie seems to be getting over some of her issues and I think this one shows a huge turning point in her relationship with her mom. I was pretty sure I knew who the bad guy was on this case, but the author did a really good job making you second guess yourself. I do think Maggie took some unneeded risks again. I hope this changes. Tully continues to be an excellent character and a good match for Maggie. The idea of ...more
Elvan
Dec 01, 2013 Elvan rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Lots happening once again in this third book in the Maggie O'Dell series. I'm not a big fan of the religious cult Jonestown/Davidian books so maybe I was challenged a bit to stay focused and suspend belief as I tried to pick out the killer from the herd.
The author telegraphed the villain at around 70 % so it was a mop up read for me from that point, and a not altogether happy ending (for the killer) for which I had been hoping.
There are lots of loose threads that need to be tightened a
Darcy
It was surprising how much Maggie's past came into play with this one. Maggie's personality makes more sense knowing what we do about her past and her parents. I'm really not sure what to think of the final piece of info that Maggie's mom gave her. It will definitely be life changing.

The religious aspect of this one drove me nuts. There was nothing new there, an old man things he's god to take advantage of people for money and sex. I hate reading about those things. I was very surprised about th
Ashley
Great crime thriller.
Was a fun fast paced read, I enjoy a book that seems like "it could happen" when the story isn't believable I'm done. And the author seems to have done a lot of research and made good use of it for this book(I hope the series!!)
Was a 402 pg book but it went by like nothing.. It really was a great read!

I will be buying more of the Maggie O' Dell series..FOR SURE!!

❆ Crystal ❆
3 stars. I liked it well enough. I'm hoping Maggie will become a better FBI agent. At this point, no one on the team is that good at what they do..... I hope that changes in future books. And, maybe Maggie can finally move on from her past.
Ricardo
The worst of Kava's books in her series so far. It's like she sent an outline to the editor, went on holidays, and somebody filled in the plot to connect the ideas. A complete letdown compared to her previous 2 books
Clara Dearmore Strom
Jan 14, 2010 Clara Dearmore Strom rated it did not like it
Didn't like it. It didn't hold my interest and gosh can't some writers come up with a bad guy who is NOT a wacko, "Christian", cult, conservative, Republican, capitalist? For creative people they sure are limiting themselves.
Karen
Jan 09, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
At the risk of sounding like a book cover review, I must say this series is highly readable. Plot and characterizations are well done and the pace is good. A good solid 4 stars.
Mizzio Batista
Nov 16, 2015 Mizzio Batista rated it really liked it
A captivating crime thriller.... Has all the trimmings of a great mystery novel... I enjoyed Agent O' Dell's newest case, and look forward to reading the next...
Wendy
Jun 03, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jun-15
Loved it!
Kat Dietrich
Jan 03, 2017 Kat Dietrich rated it really liked it
The Soul Catcher by Alex Kava is the 3rd in the FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell series.

During a WACO-like standoff resulting in the suicide-by-cyanide deaths of 5 of the 6 young people in a small cabin which has been hiding a stash of guns and ammo, an FBI agent is killed. Maggie is called to profile the case. When the body a Senator's daughter is found with an identical cyanide capsule in her mouth, evidence starts to point in one direction, Reverend Joseph Everett. The lone survivor of the cab
Alex is The Romance Fox
The Soul Catcher, 3rd book in the series has FBI profiler, Maggie O'Dell and her partner, R.J. Tully, assigned to a case in Suffolk County, Massachusetts, where the FBI and ATF agents have a standoff with members of a local cult. As the two start working with the one cult member left alive to, they are given another case of a young teenage girl found raped and murdered behind the FDR monument in Washington, D.C., which leads to them finding a connection between their two cases.

Standing in their
Anthony Cherrier
Oct 27, 2016 Anthony Cherrier rated it really liked it
I totally loved this third volume of the suspense from the beginning to the end. It began when the FBI surrounded a group of young people who give death, under the direction of someone that control, with a cyanide capsule agent Maggie O'Dell investigation on this and also on the murders of young girls and she's going to have to deal with his mother who is engaged in some kind of cult.
Owlsinger
Oct 19, 2016 Owlsinger rated it liked it
Series is getting better as we go along; high hopes as it continues.
Anna
Sep 27, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
While I could figure out the situation pretty early on, it's the way Kava unveils the details and dangles red herrings that make the book worth reading.
Diana Band
So scattered! The premise was good, but all the attempts at red herrings just made this feel clunky and tangled (the killer was pretty obvious from the get-go). I like Maggie O'Dell enough to want to continue this series, but I'm not sure if it's wort it.
Kristin
Feb 02, 2013 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
It had been a while since I read the first two books in this series so I was a little fuzzy on the storyline up to this point. While this still features FBI Agent Maggie O'Dell, her partner Tully, and many of the other characters from the first two books, it does not continue the storyline of the serial killer Stucky. Instead, women who have attended religious rallies are found dead and the FBI is on the case because one of their Agents dies after a gun battle with members of the same religious ...more
Ana T.
Jul 11, 2008 Ana T. rated it really liked it
"When a Massachusetts standoff results in the deaths of five out of six young cult members holed up in a backwoods cabin, things are bad enough. But when a U.S. senators daughter is found murdered in Washington, D.C."and her death seems to be related to the cult and its charismatic leader, Rev. Joseph Everett"the situation really heats up for Maggie and her partner, R.J. Tully. The case hits particularly close to both partners homes, since Maggies former alcoholic mother has joined Everetts chur ...more
Cornerofmadness
Aug 23, 2013 Cornerofmadness rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Amy Lucas
Jun 21, 2015 Amy Lucas rated it it was amazing
BOOK TRIGGER WARNINGS: alcoholism, self-harm, suicide, sexual assault and rape.

Not something I would normally read but one of the best books I have read!

Gripped me from the start and I just couldn't put it down!(apart from when A-level exams got in the way) Chapters being no more than 3 pages long gave it a quick read feeling. Could read on the bus, in the bath, at 2am as my eyes were shutting and the short hooking chapters just made it a joy to read.

Opening with a group suicide you can't help b
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 12 10 Mar 28, 2016 11:54AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 12 9 Mar 27, 2016 11:01PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 9 9 Mar 22, 2016 05:41AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 13 9 Mar 21, 2016 08:37AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 3 7 Mar 21, 2016 08:34AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 8 8 Mar 21, 2016 08:16AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 7 Mar 21, 2016 08:13AM
  • Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • October Skies
  • Quiver
  • Fraidy Hole
  • The Secret Friend (Darby McCormick #2)
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • If I Should Die (Lucy Kincaid, #3)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?: A Biography
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • Watch Them Die
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
  • Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11)