Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie

Pie: 300 Tried-and-True Recipes for Delicious Homemade Pie

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The most comprehensive and straightforward book ever written on the topic, Pie is a complete guide to how easy it can be to make perfectly praiseworthy pies. Every recipe has been tested for success and features advice and tips specifically for that pie. Chapters include: “Berry Good Pies,” “Rich, Sweet, and Simple: Chess, Buttermilk, and Other Custard Pies,” “Personal Pie...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Harvard Common Press (first published September 2004)

Insouciantly
This book is an amazing resource. I received it as a Christmas present in 2010, and it inspired me to make a New Years resolution to make one brand new never before tried pie once a month in 2011.

I ended up making 20 different pies from recipes in this book, and all of them were delicious! The book is also filled with historical facts about pies, ingredients and famous pie makers. It has tips and tricks, the best way to choose fruits, silly stories, and just about everything you could ever want...more
Jane
I added another star after I made the Pear Pie with Almond Cake Topping. It was lovely. I did think the book could have been a little more imaginative about the whole pie thing, and use less corn syrup and Crisco. However I'll be making more pies and that may mean more stars still.
Danielle
I went into Williams Sonoma to buy a gift and the sales clerk sort of randomly mentioned that they had this great Pie book on sale. It was as if she could see into my soul. What a woman.
Alisha G
The only way this recipe book could be better is if Mr. Haedrich came to my house and made all the pies for me.
Tamara
I actually read this book cover to cover, from beginning to end, just like a novel.
Charlotte
This book gives my life meaning and direction. I kid you not!
Jeff Scott
A cookbook isn't really a book you finish, but I learned a great deal about the history of pie with each recipe. For instance, the Funeral Pie comes from the fact that raisins didn't have a season, so if you needed to make a pie on short notice, a raisin pie is what you would make. I also found it interesting that there is a marketing campaign each year to find a grandma that best embodies Granny Smith. The book also takes a hardline on pies. Just pie, no cheesecakes, no quiches, (with one or tw...more
Destiny Dawn Long
If you're a pie-lover like I am, this is a must-have book. Haedrich has put together not just a great collection of recipes, but also a ton of useful information on technique and purchasing ingredients. He also includes a bunch of trivia and history to keep you entertained while you're waiting for your crust to chill in the freezer.

At this point, I'm not even sure how many of the recipes I've made--just that every one of them has been delicious (even the peek-a-boo cranberry cherry pie where I...more
Rachel Hartman
The Pie Bible! It never occurred to me (until now) to rate this on GR!

I was a veteran pie engineer (that's what you call it if you're hardcore) long before I got this book. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why my sister gave me this book, because I was out of pies to make, which is a dismal place to be.

Deducted a star because I don't think his crusts are particularly easy or intuitive for the beginner, and because the colour pictures in the middle all fell out, which was irritating! Bad binding!

Joe
Ken Haedrich loves pies. He clearly communicates his joy and passion for pastry and baking, which makes this book (and his recipes) genuinely fun. I've only made 6 or 7 of the 300 pies, but they've all been delightful. The one clear drawback I can find is that this book does not have your traditional basic type pies...all the recipes have some sort of twist or flair (which I personally like). I like Purdy's The Perfect Pie for basic recipes.
Emily
I have a weird love to cookbooks, cooking blogs, and the like. I actually read this book. Ok, so I didn't read every single teaspoon of this and tablespoon of that, but I did read the author's preface to every single recipe.

I tried a recipe, one for a chocolate chess pie. It was super delish. The filling was awfully thin, so I'll either double it next time (Ccrap! That'll double the calories!) or I did something wrong.
Liz
This book has fed my recent addiction to making pie. My neighbors are very pleased. I have had good success with his recipes, though I find him a little prissy. (Maybe because as a cook I am decidedly unprissy.) I have done a few substitutions with whole wheat flour and that works out well; I would like to try to find some good non-wheat flour crust recipes.

Allison
Obviously I didn't "read" this all yet, but I just made my first pie from here and it was amazing. I have no real experience making pies and the beginning of the book very carefully explains all the crusts and techniques. I also love the random facts strewn throughout the pages. Made the Cheddar-Crusted Apple-Pear Pie. (One down, 299 to go.)
Etherealfire
Every pie recipe you've dreamed of is in here. That is all <3
Ann
I love this book. I love good cookbooks that break recipes down into simple steps, and tell you specifically what substitutions/alterations are OK and which ones definitely are NOT. This one definitely does that. I only wish there were more pictures, because who doesn't like pie? :-)
Rose Ann
There's a recipe in here for Apple Pie with Cheddar-Crumb Topping that sounds delish. But it's 103 degrees here right now in Omaha (July 6, 2012) and too hot to bake pies. When the weather cools off in the autumn, I am going to give it a try.
Leslie Mcdonald
I've only made one pie so far and looking forward to making more. These are sone great recipes. Being from Australia I don't get much chance to have sweet pies. Since I've never had it before my next pie will be pumpkin.
Cameron
Is pie ever not a winner? Truly inspiring when you know you want to make pie, but don't know what kind you want, although it sometimes leads to over powering indecision.
The Shaker Lemon pie is brilliant though.
Lori Michael
Greatest book to peruse for pie ideas for any season. Excellent choices for apple, blueberry, shephard, key-lime, and many, many others. Even those berries as wallpaper in Willy Wonka, jk.
Megan
Oct 03, 2008 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Marlee
Recommended to Megan by: Jess
Obviously I did not read this whole book. It is like 600 pages long. But I loved it anyway. I made one pie and it was awesome, and I am sure that the other ones will be just as good...
Kelly
This is the undisputed Pie Bible. A massive tome, filled with colourful photographs, this book is an indispensable resource for cooks looking to perfect their pie technique.

Heather
Pictures (there are very few photos) would make this book better, but it is amazing. I have made a number of these pies and loved every one. Highly recommended.
Megan
Hands down the best cookbook I've ever owned. Humorous and easy to follow, Ken helps dispel your fear of making homemade crust and turns you into a pie goddess.
Jo
My go to book. I have checked this one out of the library a dozen times. Something is telling me to bake pies....but I hate to roll out crusts.
Kate
If you needs a goto cookbook for all things Pie related, this is as close to a "pie" bible as one is going to get. Highly recommended.
Kim
Who doesn't love pie? The best receipes I've ever made came from this book (don't tell Grandma...)
Andrea Zabel
Who doesn't love pie?
Favorites: Blackberry Peach, Avocado, Mock Apple, Apple and Rum Raisin
Bob
Never fail. It's mind-boggling. #1 recommendation from me for anyone interested in dessert pies.
Brett
Oct 27, 2007 Brett rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
Mmmmm, pie. Lots of good and different recipes. It's almost a pie a day for a year!
Rose
my dream come true: a big fat book with only recipes for pie and pie crust.
Soup Makes the Meal: 150 Soul-Satisfying Recipes for Soups, Salads and Breads Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family Maple Syrup Cookbook: Over 100 Recipes For Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Country Baking: Simple Home Baking with Wholesome Grains and the Pick of the Harvest Country Breakfasts: Four Seasons of Cozy Morning Meals

“Pie, in a word, is my passion. Since as far back as I can remember, watching my mom and dad make their apple pies together every fall as a young boy, I have simply loved pie. I can't really explain why. If one loves poetry, or growing orchids, or walking along the beach at sunset, the why isn't all that important. To me, pie is poetry that makes the world a better place.” 0 likes