Start by marking “The Guardians of the Flame (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Guardians of the Flame (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)

The Guardians of the Flame (Guardians of the Flame #1-3 omnibus)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  782 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Science Fiction Book Club omnibus containing the first three books in the series: The Sleeping Dragon, The Sword and the Chain, and The Silver Crown.
Published January 28th 2003 by Baen Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Guardians of the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardians of the Flame

Kernos
Nov 29, 2015 Kernos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dungeons and Dragons aficionados, YA Fantasy lovers.
Shelves: fantasy, teen-ya
The Guardians of the Flame is an epicoid Fantasy I read as the SFBC omnibus editions were released in the '80s. This was my 3 reading. These are typical '80s Fantasies, not complex, good always wins, easy, quick escapist reads. They are simply fun without a lot of philosophical or moral wanderings. I fully enjoyed this 3rd read.

7 of 10 stars for the series. Book #1 of the series is the best, as usual, 7 of 10; books #2 and #3, 6 of 10 stars. .
Brian
Dec 19, 2012 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors contain the first 3 books of the series, of which I believe there are 10 total.

I first read these books many years ago and throughly enjoyed them as they gave a somewhat plausible explanation of the two different worlds, and had a raw gritty feel to them that I enjoyed.

Rereading them however, I had a hard time with symphathizing with the characters - the main characters seemed self indulgent and spent most of the time bullying other characters into doing
Harrison Phillips
This was very enjoyable with well developed characters and a nice story line. It was fast paced and kept my interest. This is actually three books in one with each book separated. I especially liked the way the author was able to create the concept of having characters from our timeline and society into those of a fantasy and how he made them into dwarfs and wizards and warriors. Though they remembered where they had come from they also knew who they were in this other fantasy world. I would rec ...more
Allen
Apr 14, 2014 Allen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
if u plan on reading this book, plan on a long read, there are 10 books total in this series but the 10th book does end with everything working out. now on with my review. great 1st 3 books of the flames series. the last book the author doesnt quite finish the tale but doesnt leave u hanging either if that makes any sense so u will need to read the 4th book in the series to know how the full story goes. its a fast paced read. once u start reading it u wont want to put the book down. lots of acti ...more
Stublore
I read this as a teenager.
At the time it was a pretty damn good read but I fear it does not hold up well with time.
It's very easy to read and has an interesting premise and while there is some unpleasantness it is most definitely light fantasy and a bit simplistic.
Elizabeth
Aug 27, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who enjoys fantasy roleplaying games, I enjoyed reading this anthology, which contains the first three books in The Guardians of the Flame series. I definitely thought of some of my fellow roleplayers with some of the things which went on, and I'm definitely planning to get the next book in the series because I want to know more of what's going on with some of the more powerful characters and what's going to happen with the main characters - Rosenberg gives you intriguing glimpses, bu ...more
Nancy
Hoo boy. Okay, so the only way to get this for Kindle is to get the first three books, and let me tell you, one was quite enough. Ugly, ugly attitudes towards women, and worse, in a way where I suspect the author thought he was being progressive. That was hard to get past. The rest of it is also not great, about a gaming group whose GM, who is also their professor, has them sucked into their game world. So, yeah, we're talking a lot to overcome, here.
Bookfrog
May 29, 2012 Bookfrog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent old school D&D style series. What sets it apart is that the characters make a moral decision to save one of their own and sacrifices are required...

The later books in the series lose some of their charm as a few of the core characters move out of the main storyline.

Great action, biting humor and endearing characters.

Joel Rosenberg's passing was a great loss. Condolences to his family and friends.
Robert Bruce Wooten
I first read this book in the 80's. I loved it then, I love it now. I passed it down to my children and they all have read and love it as well.

The character motivations are easily understood and their actions never make you question why they would do them. I believe this type of story gets old and the author demonstrates how a well written story can always be enjoyed.
Rachel
Jun 06, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
These are really fun books - for those that like fantasy and even for those who don't - like me. I think the clincher for me is how well Rosenberg writes his characters. They all have a fantastic voice and are very real. The language can sometimes be questionable, depending on the character, but I still really like these books.
Jessica Burde
A very good premise and interesting characters, but doesn't hold my focus very well. I managed to read it through, and very much enjoyed the evolution of the characters in the first book. But by the second book it just got hard got to stay involved in the story. Not a bad read, but not the best.
Daniel Lofton
Oct 08, 2013 Daniel Lofton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a decades old nostalgia at work here, definitely, but I've read this compilation more time than I can remember since one summer when I was 12 or 13. I love this book and all it's self-assured smarter than the average bear folks trapped in a game world tropes.
Doug
Jul 20, 2013 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book before back in the 80's, and am currently reading it again. It was actually 3 books in the 80's, but all 3 of them are in this single volume. I loved it back then, and love it now.
J Wrin
Oct 17, 2012 J Wrin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started ok but soon wondered off into self-indulgent nonsense. Lead characters are too smug and self-satisfied. You end up not caring what happens to them because they are so unappealing. A waste of time.
Todd
Jan 06, 2015 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun for what it is, a stroll down a memory lane of 80s fantasy tales and late-nighgt D&D campaigns at the kitchen table surrounded by Doritos and Mountain Dew.
Aaron Teitelbaum
Oct 12, 2014 Aaron Teitelbaum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fantasy

Samantha
Jul 02, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was great, especially since I got it from my own Dungeon Master to read when we were in the middle of our own campaign in high school.
David
Dec 11, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Fun Fantasy Book .... includes all three books in the series The Sleeping Dragon, The Sword and the Chain and The Silver Crown.
Eli
Jan 22, 2014 Eli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to have this chunk of the collection digitally at a reasonable price. My paperbacks are getting to old to touch.
Lucinda
Oct 22, 2015 Lucinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
This was so awesome. The elves in it were a let down, but other than that this was a really good book.
Tucker
Nov 26, 2009 Tucker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1st 3 books in guardians of the flame series
Theresa
Apr 27, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a great tale from the d and d era
Lynn Calvin
baen ebook
Jonathan Herbst
Jonathan Herbst rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Grace Grant
Grace Grant rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Stefani R
Stefani R rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Sam W
Sam W rated it it was amazing
Scott Emard
Scott Emard rated it really liked it
  • The Shadow Gate
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Warlord (Raj Whitehall, #1-2)
  • Endgame (Merovingen Nights, #7)
  • Doctor Who and Underworld
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • The Wizardry Compiled (Wiz, #2)
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)
  • The Chronicles of Amber: Volume II
  • With Stars Underfoot (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #10)
  • The End of the Whole Mess, and Other Stories
  • Ladyhawke

Note: This is a different person than the political/thriller author, Joel C. Rosenberg

Joel Rosenberg was the author of the bestselling Guardians of the Flame books as well as the D'Shai and Keepers of the Hidden Ways series. He made his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
More about Joel Rosenberg...

Guardians of the Flame (10 books)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3)
  • The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4)
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • The Road to Ehvenor (Guardians of the Flame, #6)
  • The Road Home (Guardians of the Flame, #7)
  • Not Exactly the Three Musketeers (Guardians of the Flame, #8)
  • Not Quite Scaramouche (Guardians of the Flame, #9)
  • Not Really The Prisoner of Zenda (Guardians of the Flame, #10)