Start by marking “Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame, #1-3)

Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors (Guardians of the Flame #1-3 omnibus)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Science Fiction Book Club omnibus containing the first three books in the series: The Sleeping Dragon, The Sword and the Chain, and The Silver Crown.
Published by Nelson Doubleday (first published July 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Guardians of the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardians of the Flame

Brian
The Guardians of the Flame: The Warriors contain the first 3 books of the series, of which I believe there are 10 total.

I first read these books many years ago and throughly enjoyed them as they gave a somewhat plausible explanation of the two different worlds, and had a raw gritty feel to them that I enjoyed.

Rereading them however, I had a hard time with symphathizing with the characters - the main characters seemed self indulgent and spent most of the time bullying other characters into doing...more
Allen
if u plan on reading this book, plan on a long read, there are 10 books total in this series but the 10th book does end with everything working out. now on with my review. great 1st 3 books of the flames series. the last book the author doesnt quite finish the tale but doesnt leave u hanging either if that makes any sense so u will need to read the 4th book in the series to know how the full story goes. its a fast paced read. once u start reading it u wont want to put the book down. lots of acti...more
Stublore
I read this as a teenager.
At the time it was a pretty damn good read but I fear it does not hold up well with time.
It's very easy to read and has an interesting premise and while there is some unpleasantness it is most definitely light fantasy and a bit simplistic.
Elizabeth
As someone who enjoys fantasy roleplaying games, I enjoyed reading this anthology, which contains the first three books in The Guardians of the Flame series. I definitely thought of some of my fellow roleplayers with some of the things which went on, and I'm definitely planning to get the next book in the series because I want to know more of what's going on with some of the more powerful characters and what's going to happen with the main characters - Rosenberg gives you intriguing glimpses, bu...more
Bookfrog
Excellent old school D&D style series. What sets it apart is that the characters make a moral decision to save one of their own and sacrifices are required...

The later books in the series lose some of their charm as a few of the core characters move out of the main storyline.

Great action, biting humor and endearing characters.

Joel Rosenberg's passing was a great loss. Condolences to his family and friends.
Rachel
These are really fun books - for those that like fantasy and even for those who don't - like me. I think the clincher for me is how well Rosenberg writes his characters. They all have a fantastic voice and are very real. The language can sometimes be questionable, depending on the character, but I still really like these books.
Jessica Burde
A very good premise and interesting characters, but doesn't hold my focus very well. I managed to read it through, and very much enjoyed the evolution of the characters in the first book. But by the second book it just got hard got to stay involved in the story. Not a bad read, but not the best.
Daniel Lofton
There's a decades old nostalgia at work here, definitely, but I've read this compilation more time than I can remember since one summer when I was 12 or 13. I love this book and all it's self-assured smarter than the average bear folks trapped in a game world tropes.
Doug
I have read this book before back in the 80's, and am currently reading it again. It was actually 3 books in the 80's, but all 3 of them are in this single volume. I loved it back then, and love it now.
J Wrin
Started ok but soon wondered off into self-indulgent nonsense. Lead characters are too smug and self-satisfied. You end up not caring what happens to them because they are so unappealing. A waste of time.
Aaron Teitelbaum

David
Very Fun Fantasy Book .... includes all three books in the series The Sleeping Dragon, The Sword and the Chain and The Silver Crown.
Tucker
1st 3 books in guardians of the flame series
Theresa
a great tale from the d and d era
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Oct 18, 2014
Desmond Jaramillo
Desmond Jaramillo marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Stan Semerod
Stan Semerod marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
  • Beyond the Veil
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • The Sea Hag
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • Ladyhawke
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • Choosing Names: Man-Kzin Wars 8 (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I (Amber #1-2)
  • With Friends Like These...
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Shadowspawn

Note: This is a different person than the political/thriller author, Joel C. Rosenberg

Joel Rosenberg was the author of the bestselling Guardians of the Flame books as well as the D'Shai and Keepers of the Hidden Ways series. He made his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
More about Joel Rosenberg...
The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1) The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2) The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3) The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4) The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)