Start by marking “Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai, #2)

Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai #2)

On the eve of a grand royal wedding, a nobleman is killed with a hunting arrow. The priceless tapestries of the bridal keep are stained with blood. And the fatal arrow bears the mark of the prime suspect--the bridegroom himself.

Only one person can solve such a crime. A man named Kami, who defied the Fifty-Two Ways of D'Shai... by creating a Fifty-Third profession.

The ancie
Published March 1st 1994 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Hour of the Octopus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hour of the Octopus

Jan 28, 2009 Cera rated it really liked it
This sequel to D'Shai picks up soon after the end of the first book, but could certainly be read on its own -- indeed, if I remember correctly it doesn't even give away the solution to the first novel's mystery, although I suppose the fact that Kami is still alive and well is a hint that things resolve more or less in his favour.

As in D'Shai, the strength of the novel lies in the world-building; Kami's social position has improved, and with it his access to the upper classes, so the reader sees
Joel Flank
Nov 16, 2013 Joel Flank rated it it was amazing
Hour of the Octopus by Joel Rosenberg is the sequel to the fantasy mystery D'Shai. This book picks up shortly after D'Shai ends, with the hero, Kami still adjusting to his new life as a court "seeker of truth" AKA detective, and having to deal with nobles on a daily basis, without the support of his friends and family from his previous life as a traveling acrobat. Since this is a sequel, not as much time is spent introducing the world and the background of the characters, which leaves more time ...more
Oct 12, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I first picked this up at a garage sale umpteen years ago; I can't believe that anyone who's actually read the book would sell it to a fourth-grader, but I'm glad they did. Loved it then, love it now.
Howard Brazee
Jul 16, 2014 Howard Brazee rated it really liked it
Loved the first book in the series, the magic system is wonderful. I find the beloved leaders to be too much like reality though.
Dec 12, 2007 Sbuchler rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy + mystery buffs
Genre: Fantasy (with a strong mystery bent)

Exactly the sort of light read that is great for reading on the treadmill. The main charactor's voice is very strong (it's mostly a first person narrator) and the blinders he wears are equally strong, and are only really pointed out to the reader at the end - which is a twist I liked. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but the plot is a murder mystery; however, mystery fans may feel a little cheated - so much of the resolution seems to be intuited... but
May 26, 2012 Macha rated it really liked it
my first book by this author and i'll look for more. i like this subgenre anyway, but this one's nicely executed: the world-building was elaborate, the characters sprightly, and the puzzles actually qualified as well-constructed mysteries.
Nov 27, 2011 Taddow rated it really liked it
Read this book on my way to Army Basic Training and I thought that it was good read though not as enjoyable as Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series. It was an interesting setting.
Sep 15, 2011 Not-just-yeti rated it liked it
Good, but has lost the new-world sheen of the original. (Also, the mystery component is less in this sequel.)
May 07, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signal
Detective story, Oriental setting. Well-narrated. The first book in this series is pretty good, too.
Aug 18, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fourstars, fantasy
I am SAD that there are no more books in this series. I like it very much.
May 03, 2010 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Excellent fantasy mystery mesh from Rosenberg
Aug 30, 2010 Jonathan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, mystery, fantasy, reread, 2002
January 6, 2002
Dennis rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Adam Huyck
Adam Huyck marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Daphne marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Neil Prather
Neil Prather rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Tim Wadman
Tim Wadman rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Carol Fox
Carol Fox marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Lexie added it
Aug 14, 2016
Alex rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Terry Ludwig
Terry Ludwig rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Akshita rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Stephanie Duffrin
Stephanie Duffrin marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Dan Melson
Dan Melson rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Jeremy Deadmond
Jeremy Deadmond rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2016
Aisha added it
Jun 16, 2016
Scott Vesely
Scott Vesely rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Hilfy added it
May 15, 2016
  • Hespira
  • Tales from Dragon Precinct
  • Wizard's Heir (Fanuilh, #2)
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • Play with Fire (Quincey Morris #4)
  • An Oath of the Mage (Island Shifters #2)
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Paint it Black (Black Knight Chronicles #4)
  • The Garrett Files (Garrett P.I., #1-3)
  • My Son, the Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #5)
  • The Face of Chaos (Thieves' World, #5)
  • Five Hundred Years After (Khaavren Romances, #2)
  • Stranger at the Wedding (Windrose Chronicles #4)
  • Stalking The Unicorn (John Justin Mallory Mystery, #1)

Note: This is a different person than the political/thriller author, Joel C. Rosenberg

Joel Rosenberg was the author of the bestselling Guardians of the Flame books as well as the D'Shai and Keepers of the Hidden Ways series. He made his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
More about Joel Rosenberg...

D'Shai (2 books)