Start by marking “Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai, #2)

Hour of the Octopus (D'Shai #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  12 reviews
On the eve of a grand royal wedding, a nobleman is killed with a hunting arrow. The priceless tapestries of the bridal keep are stained with blood. And the fatal arrow bears the mark of the prime suspect--the bridegroom himself.

Only one person can solve such a crime. A man named Kami, who defied the Fifty-Two Ways of D'Shai... by creating a Fifty-Third profession.

The ancie
Published March 1st 1994 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Hour of the Octopus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hour of the Octopus

Cera
This sequel to D'Shai picks up soon after the end of the first book, but could certainly be read on its own -- indeed, if I remember correctly it doesn't even give away the solution to the first novel's mystery, although I suppose the fact that Kami is still alive and well is a hint that things resolve more or less in his favour.

As in D'Shai, the strength of the novel lies in the world-building; Kami's social position has improved, and with it his access to the upper classes, so the reader sees
Joel Flank
Hour of the Octopus by Joel Rosenberg is the sequel to the fantasy mystery D'Shai. This book picks up shortly after D'Shai ends, with the hero, Kami still adjusting to his new life as a court "seeker of truth" AKA detective, and having to deal with nobles on a daily basis, without the support of his friends and family from his previous life as a traveling acrobat. Since this is a sequel, not as much time is spent introducing the world and the background of the characters, which leaves more time ...more
Megan
Oct 12, 2014 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I first picked this up at a garage sale umpteen years ago; I can't believe that anyone who's actually read the book would sell it to a fourth-grader, but I'm glad they did. Loved it then, love it now.
Howard Brazee
Loved the first book in the series, the magic system is wonderful. I find the beloved leaders to be too much like reality though.
Sbuchler
Dec 12, 2007 Sbuchler rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy + mystery buffs
Genre: Fantasy (with a strong mystery bent)

Exactly the sort of light read that is great for reading on the treadmill. The main charactor's voice is very strong (it's mostly a first person narrator) and the blinders he wears are equally strong, and are only really pointed out to the reader at the end - which is a twist I liked. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but the plot is a murder mystery; however, mystery fans may feel a little cheated - so much of the resolution seems to be intuited... but
Macha
my first book by this author and i'll look for more. i like this subgenre anyway, but this one's nicely executed: the world-building was elaborate, the characters sprightly, and the puzzles actually qualified as well-constructed mysteries.
Taddow
Read this book on my way to Army Basic Training and I thought that it was good read though not as enjoyable as Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series. It was an interesting setting.
Not-just-yeti
Good, but has lost the new-world sheen of the original. (Also, the mystery component is less in this sequel.)
Dan
May 07, 2009 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: signal
Detective story, Oriental setting. Well-narrated. The first book in this series is pretty good, too.
Kristi
I am SAD that there are no more books in this series. I like it very much.
Jeffrey
Excellent fantasy mystery mesh from Rosenberg
Jonathan
January 6, 2002
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • Paint it Black (Black Knight Chronicles #4)
  • Play with Fire (Quincey Morris #4)
  • An Oath of the Mage (Island Shifters #2)
  • Fanuilh (Fanuilh, #1)
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Dragon Precinct
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • Majestrum: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn (Book 1)
  • The Garrett Files (Garrett P.I., #1-3)
  • The Magic Goes Away
  • The Unwilling Warlord
  • Blood Hostages (Planescape: Blood Wars, #1)
  • The Third Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #3)
  • Penric's Demon (World of the Five Gods, #3.5)
  • Stranger at the Wedding (Windrose Chronicles #4)
  • Antiagon Fire (Imager Portfolio, #7)
  • Stalking The Unicorn

Note: This is a different person than the political/thriller author, Joel C. Rosenberg

Joel Rosenberg was the author of the bestselling Guardians of the Flame books as well as the D'Shai and Keepers of the Hidden Ways series. He made his home in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
More about Joel Rosenberg...

D'Shai (2 books)
  • D'Shai (D'Shai, #1)
The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1) The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2) The Silver Crown (Guardians of the Flame, #3) The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4) The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)