Start by marking “Yucatan Before and After the Conquest” as Want to Read:
Yucatan Before and After the Conquest

Yucatan Before and After the Conquest

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Only significant account done of Yucatan in post-Conquest era. Describes geography and natural history of the peninsula, gives brief history of Mayan life, discusses Spanish conquest and its effects, and provides a long summary of Maya civilization. Translator William Gates has added appendices, 4 maps, and over 120 illustrations.
Published May 16th 2012 by Dover Publications (NYC) (first published 1566)

To ask other readers questions about Yucatan Before and After the Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yucatan Before and After the Conquest

Kyle
Apr 30, 2013 Kyle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in Mesoamerica or the Maya
Recommended to Kyle by: School
The stars I've given this 'book' are meaningless. You might as well think of them as not even being there (In fact I'll probably go back and make it a starless rating).

This "review" is mostly a short lesson, rather than a review, for those of who who might be interested in post-contact Mesoamerica. If you don't give a crap about Mesoamerica, let alone post-contact, then you might not want to read any further.

Diego De Landa is a mixed bag, and he left us a mixed legacy. De Landa was a Spanish Bi
Georgene
Dec 22, 2014 Georgene rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Georgene by: Philip Wickstrand
Shelves: history
An interesting AND boring bit of history concerning the subjugation of the Mayan peoples of the Yucatan in the 1500's. From anthropological and sociological points of view, this is an interesting book. However, it was quite a slog to get through.

In the mid-1500's, Friar Diego de Landa was called back to the King of Spain's court to justify his horrific treatment of the native peoples of the Yucatan. When considering how non-religious Spaniards treated the peoples of the New World, de Landa's tre
Ilya
In 1562, Friar Diego de Landa of Yucatan discovered that some of the Indians who had supposedly been converted to Christianity some 20 years before did, in fact, worship their old "idols". He conducted an inquiry in the best traditions of the Spanish Inquisition, torturing some 4500 Indians and causing the deaths of 158, burned 5000 "idols" and 27 hieroglyphic books. The Church was alarmed that Landa had overstepped the boundaries of his authority, and recalled him to Spain to stand trial before ...more
Daniel L.
Mayan Culture Preserved by One Who Sought Its Destruction

While driving on the lonely highway toward the city of Valladolid, in the center of Mexico's Yucatan peninsula, on the horizon loomed a surreal shadow. I tried to imagine what this palatial structure could be. Upon arriving at the charming colonial city, I came upon a magnificent Spanish colonial monastary. What was amazing was that it was built upon the base of a pyramid razed by the Spanish conquistadores, who reused the stones for their
Ryan
The view of a culture from the conqueror's unfavorable and uncomprehending (is that a word?) perspective. Not among the greats of old school travel lit ... I'd prefer something like Ibn Batutta's travels, Marco Polo's lies, travels of John Mandeville (more lies), Sir Richard Burton, Freya Stark's Valleys of the Assassins, etc.
Barbarajean
I'm sure translating a text from the 16th century is not an easy task, however, the clunky translation was a bit confusing and sometimes even comical. I guess you take what you can get since Landa destroyed most of Mayan texts and tablets.
Mamakass
I stopped reading this because I found the language a little more effort than I cared to put into it, and I had already read so much ABOUT this book, that reading it itself seemed almost redundant.
Rana Sinha
The only known Western account of Maya civilisation, ironically by the priest instrumental in destroying an entire civilisation - this is what makes this book fascinating!
Margaret
the writing is not very good but the information is. i will assume it is a top-notch translation because the foreword tells me so.
Naomi Moore
A little dry but very informative. Not for the faint of heart.
Clark S
An eyewitness account of the Spanish conquest of the Maya.
CYNTHIA WARD
CYNTHIA WARD marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Mark Chapman
Mark Chapman marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Keila
Keila marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Borja Eugui
Borja Eugui marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Nuria Castaño monllor
Nuria Castaño monllor marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Seth
Seth added it
Mar 04, 2015
Flamingo
Flamingo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Jesse Armstrong
Jesse Armstrong marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Świat Apocalypto RELACIÓN DE LAS COSAS DE YUCATÁN [DIGITALLY ENHANCED] Soobschenie O Delah V Yukatane Bericht Aus Yucatan