Start by marking “Yucatan Before and After the Conquest” as Want to Read:
Yucatan Before and After the Conquest

Yucatan Before and After the Conquest

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
These people also used certain characters or letters, with which they wrote in their books about the antiquities and their sciences. We found a great number of books in these letters, and since they contained nothing but superstitions and falsehoods of the devils we burned them all, which they took most grievously, and which gave them great pain.
So writes Friar Diego de La
Published May 16th 2012 by Dover Publications (NYC) (first published 1566)

To ask other readers questions about Yucatan Before and After the Conquest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yucatan Before and After the Conquest

Kyle
Apr 30, 2013 Kyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in Mesoamerica or the Maya
Recommended to Kyle by: School
The stars I've given this 'book' are meaningless. You might as well think of them as not even being there (In fact I'll probably go back and make it a starless rating).

This "review" is mostly a short lesson, rather than a review, for those of who who might be interested in post-contact Mesoamerica. If you don't give a crap about Mesoamerica, let alone post-contact, then you might not want to read any further.

Diego De Landa is a mixed bag, and he left us a mixed legacy. De Landa was a Spanish Bi
Georgene
Dec 22, 2014 Georgene rated it liked it
Recommended to Georgene by: Philip Wickstrand
Shelves: history
An interesting AND boring bit of history concerning the subjugation of the Mayan peoples of the Yucatan in the 1500's. From anthropological and sociological points of view, this is an interesting book. However, it was quite a slog to get through.

In the mid-1500's, Friar Diego de Landa was called back to the King of Spain's court to justify his horrific treatment of the native peoples of the Yucatan. When considering how non-religious Spaniards treated the peoples of the New World, de Landa's tre
Ilya
Dec 26, 2010 Ilya rated it it was amazing
In 1562, Friar Diego de Landa of Yucatan discovered that some of the Indians who had supposedly been converted to Christianity some 20 years before did, in fact, worship their old "idols". He conducted an inquiry in the best traditions of the Spanish Inquisition, torturing some 4500 Indians and causing the deaths of 158, burned 5000 "idols" and 27 hieroglyphic books. The Church was alarmed that Landa had overstepped the boundaries of his authority, and recalled him to Spain to stand trial before ...more
Daniel L.
Jul 25, 2013 Daniel L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays
Mayan Culture Preserved by One Who Sought Its Destruction

While driving on the lonely highway toward the city of Valladolid, in the center of Mexico's Yucatan peninsula, on the horizon loomed a surreal shadow. I tried to imagine what this palatial structure could be. Upon arriving at the charming colonial city, I came upon a magnificent Spanish colonial monastary. What was amazing was that it was built upon the base of a pyramid razed by the Spanish conquistadores, who reused the stones for their
Ryan
Sep 12, 2007 Ryan rated it liked it
The view of a culture from the conqueror's unfavorable and uncomprehending (is that a word?) perspective. Not among the greats of old school travel lit ... I'd prefer something like Ibn Batutta's travels, Marco Polo's lies, travels of John Mandeville (more lies), Sir Richard Burton, Freya Stark's Valleys of the Assassins, etc.
Barbarajean
Mar 20, 2013 Barbarajean rated it liked it
I'm sure translating a text from the 16th century is not an easy task, however, the clunky translation was a bit confusing and sometimes even comical. I guess you take what you can get since Landa destroyed most of Mayan texts and tablets.
Kassandra
I stopped reading this because I found the language a little more effort than I cared to put into it, and I had already read so much ABOUT this book, that reading it itself seemed almost redundant.
Rana Sinha
May 24, 2013 Rana Sinha rated it it was amazing
The only known Western account of Maya civilisation, ironically by the priest instrumental in destroying an entire civilisation - this is what makes this book fascinating!
Margaret
Aug 16, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it
the writing is not very good but the information is. i will assume it is a top-notch translation because the foreword tells me so.
Naomi Moore
Aug 31, 2014 Naomi Moore rated it liked it
A little dry but very informative. Not for the faint of heart.
Clark S
Dec 30, 2009 Clark S rated it really liked it
An eyewitness account of the Spanish conquest of the Maya.
Inten Chen
Inten Chen is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Soscha
Soscha marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Jason Sands
Jason Sands rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Charlie
Charlie rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Stanczakdoug
Stanczakdoug rated it it was ok
Feb 12, 2016
John
John added it
Jan 16, 2016
Charles L. Mertz
Charles L. Mertz rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Edwin Rodriguez
Edwin Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Omar Doglio vassallo
Omar Doglio vassallo marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Taylor Martinez
Taylor Martinez rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Demmy
Demmy added it
Jul 22, 2015
CYNTHIA WARD
CYNTHIA WARD marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Mark Chapman
Mark Chapman marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015