Start by marking “Runaway” as Want to Read:
Runaway

Runaway

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,779 Ratings  ·  1,465 Reviews
The incomparable Alice Munro’s bestselling and rapturously acclaimed Runaway is a book of extraordinary stories about love and its infinite betrayals and surprises, from the title story about a young woman who, though she thinks she wants to, is incapable of leaving her husband, to three stories about a woman named Juliet and the emotions that complicate the luster of her ...more
Published 2004 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Runaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway

Manny
Not, who has read more Alice Munro that I have, wants to know why she doesn't write novels. Her uncharitable hypothesis is that Munro is too lazy to do the necessary work; she'd rather just scribble down each idea in short story form and then move on to the next one. Other people criticize her for being "cerebral" or "contrived". I don't agree with any of this, but I can see where the accusations are coming from.

After some thought, I find a metaphor which sums up my own feelings. It's true that
brian
in 1997, the reigning king of redonda, a tiny island & micronation in the bahamas, was so moved by superstar spanish writer javier marias's novel todas las almas that he abdicated the throne and handed it to marias. weird shit. so marias confers the title of 'duke' and 'duchess' to certain people, amongst them:

john ashbery (duke of convexo)
pedro almodovar (duke of trémula)
frank gehry (duke of nervión)
w.g. sebald (duke of vértigo)
guillermo cabrera infante (duke of tigres)

every year all the d
Tatiana
Feb 23, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Margaret Atwood's fans
Recommended to Tatiana by: The New Yorker fiction podcast
As seen on The Readventurer

Like many readers, I claim quite often that I am not really a fan of short stories, that is, I claim that until I come across the next good short story collection, like Alice Munro's Runaway. My imaginary dislike for shorts can surely be traced to reading too many poorly assembled multi-author anthologies. There are maybe two of them in existence that I can honestly call good. From my experience, single-author collections are much, much more satisfying.

Once again, I ha
Paul
May 07, 2011 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Here's what Jonathan Franzen said about this book in the NY Times Book Review:

Basically, Runaway is so good that I don't want to talk about it here. Quotation can't do the book justice, and neither can synopsis. The way to do it justice is to read it.

But here's what Michiko Kakutani says about it in the NY Times:

Instead of assuming the organic, musical form of real life, they feel like self-conscious, overworked tales, relying on awkwardly withheld secrets and O'Henryesque twists to create narra
Hadrian
Mar 13, 2015 Hadrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Munro is a fine crafter of the short story. Each piece here has a careful balance of listing details and conveying emotional depth. I feel like I've read eight novels instead of eight short stories.
Susan
May 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short stories can be deeply unsatisfying. Too often the nuance overshadows character and plot development, as if the author is cruelly trying to offer the reader a tiny taste of a story before yanking it away again. No so with Alice Munro. She writes with such simplicity and economy and mystery. The mystery arises from the way that she presents each story--just a few words at the outset, perfectly descriptive, but never overly so. And then the rest of it is just like (**alert**be prepared for ti ...more
Bruce
Nov 04, 2013 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 2004 collection of eight stories by the Nobel Prize winning Canadian short story writer wonderfully demonstrates her narrative flair, the careful construction of her stories, and her psychological sensitivity and perception. As is characteristic of her work, the stories here feature women navigating the shoals of familial constraints, transitions, and, to use an overused term, dysfunctions. Munro works with an economy of language, conjuring moods and shifts of meaning, the subtleties of rel ...more
Quân Khuê
Nov 15, 2015 Quân Khuê rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sau khi đọc xong Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You và đọc gần hết Runaway của Alice Munro (bản dịch tiếng Việt là Trốn chạy), có thể kết luận rằng tuy Alice Munro đoạt giải Nobel, nhưng bà ấy viết hay, thậm chí rất hay ^.^ Chắc sẽ tiến ngay sang cuốn thứ ba là Cuộc đời yêu dấu.

Chất liệu truyện của bà giản dị. Bà không thuộc dạng nhà văn bịa ra những tình huống dị thường, kỳ quái hay gây sốc, nên có người bảo văn bà tẻ. Mình thì thấy không tẻ chút nào. Lúc nào đọc bà, cũng hình dung ra một
Simona
Nov 15, 2015 Simona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La Munro continua a mostrare le sue abilità di scrittrice anche in questa ennesima raccolta di racconti. Nelle parole, nelle emozioni di questa scrittrice canadese tutto è dove dovrebbe essere. Nulla è lasciato al caso, tutto è studiato e raccontato nei minimi dettagli.
In questi racconti si narra di donne in fuga, donne in fuga da se stesse, dai loro bisogni, dal destino che si accanisce contro di loro. Sono donne che, nonostante tutto, non rinunciano a se stesse e a ciò che sono, grazie anche a
Thing Two
Alice Munro - you can't just read her once. You've got to read her again, and again, and again.

Her stories written about women and men who live lives like you and I - quietly going about their days, wondering if they missed out on that great big love, or that great big chance; arguing with their children, or their parents, or both; pretending that life is grand, pretending that life isn't pointless.

She writes lush, beautiful tales which are long and enjoyable to read. I'm reading her again, soo
Miss Ravi
به آلیس مونرو اعتماد دارم. به نثرش، روایتش، خط داستانش، به شخصیتهاش که نه خیلی خاصن نه خیلی دورنگرا، نه عجیب و غریب. معمولی و عادین. بهش اعتماد دارم چون میدونم بلده. همه چیز رو میدونه. با ظرافت یه بانوی کانادایی میدونه کجا چیکار کنه. مثل وقتی که خط داستان مث یه نمودار سینوسی شیبش عوض میشه و خواننده با یه کشف و شهود به لذت دوچندان میرسه.

Bắp Nổi Chuột
3.5 sao

Chẳng biết review gì về cuốn này. Và ngoài ra tìm đọc review của người ta về cuốn này thì thấy bài review hay nhất chính là những lời ở bìa sau sách :3
Nhã nam chính ra cũng khá chăm chút cho khâu này, bìa sau họ luôn viết khá ổn, mình khá ưng (vd như Những Người Đàn Ông Không Có Đàn Bà) mà nhiều khi họ để trống trơn hoàn toàn, như Lễ Hội Của Vô Nghĩa, mình cũng vẫn ưng :3

Như thường lệ mỗi khi đọc xong 1 tập truyện ngắn mình luôn ngồi bần thần mà nghĩ xem truyện nào thấy hay nhất, kết quả
Vonia
I do not usually prefer short stories, but Alice Munro's "Runaway" is an exception. Munro's work as a whole, in fact. Everybody knows that short stories are more difficult to perfect than the novel, thus the lack of well-written ones.

What makes her sorry stories stand out? One notable difference is that Munro's short stories are actually not that short. Strictly in words, many lean towards the lengthier "definition". (Short stories are not defined by length as much as structure. Although there'
Mohammed
Feb 16, 2016 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أليس الأمر مغريا بحق؟ أن تنزع عنك عِشرة إنسان أثقل عليك حياتك؟ أن تبدأ بداية ناصعة خالية من توابع الماضي وعثراته؟ أمر رائع، غير أن الأمور تستعصي على التبسيط، والعقبة الأولى هي النفس. سأكف عن الألغاز واتركك لتقرأ قصة (الهاربة) للنوبلية أليس مونرو.

لم تكتب مونرو ذلك النوع من الأدب الأنثوي الذي يستحضر الرجل فقط ليركل مؤخرته طوال النص، بل طرحت قضايا أسمى وأرقى. عن أنصاف النوايا كتبت، عن شبه الرغبة، عن بعض من التهور وبعض الندم. تحدثت عن الوحدة، عن الضعف الأنثوي العذب، عن قلة الحيلة والاستسلام لسيرورة
Glenn Sumi
One of Munro's best books, Runaway is also one of her most thematically consistent collections. The idea of "running away" or "escape" permeates each tale. And what to make of the fact that the book consists of clipped, one-word titles? Intriguing.

I love the linked sequence of three narratives ("Chance," "Soon," and "Silence"), and if you read carefully you'll see each of those words is repeated significantly in other stories, especially "chance." (Think of the chain of events in "Tricks," the s
Ana
Oct 23, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Os oito contos de Alice Munro, reunidos em Fugas contêm vidas inteiras. Vidas de mulheres, das suas relações, dos seus conflitos, das suas buscas incessantes de um significado para as suas vidas.

«Fugas é um grande prato de caviar, a navegar sobre uma brilhante cama de gelo, com uma colher de madrepérola. Lembre-se: é por esta razão que come, lê, faz amor, o que quer que seja – para se entregar à [para se deixar levar pela] tola sensação de admiração e prazer.»
(The Washington Post)
Minh Nhân Nguyễn
5 sao
Thật khó để có thể đánh giá một tập truyện ngắn 5 sao, vì không phải truyện nào trong đó cũng có chất lượng như nhau. Nhưng với cuốn truyện ngắn này mình không ngần ngại gì khi cho nó 5 sao, với chất lượng mỗi truyện theo mình đều từ tốt đến xuất sắc. Đọc xong hết cả quyển sách thì cảm giác đầu tiên của mình là bất ngờ. Vì phong cách viết của tác giả quá đa dạng, biến đổi qua từng truyện ngắn, cả về nội dung lẫn cách viết. Có truyện bà viết rất mượt mà, mọi tình tiết đều rõ ràng, sáng sủa;
Thomas
If you need someone to sell you on short stories, go to Alice Munro. Her writing is straightforward and easy to grasp, yet it still conveys a wide range of striking and subtle emotions. In Runaway, most of the stories involve a middle-aged woman reflecting on her past and how an event has affected her life. The premise of each story appears simple - a woman has a passionate love affair with a married man, a daughter fails to comfort her mom - which allows Munro to weave in truths about human rel ...more
Jane
Feb 01, 2009 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this was a book of short stories when I bought it. It's my first book of short stories. I've decided that I don't care much for short stories. The characters and stories aren't developed enough. Her stories were a bit bizarre, mostly with endings I didn't like. Parts of the stories are interesting and I kept expecting them to get better and then I'd get disappointed. The only one I liked was the second to the last story. I think it was called Tricks. The last story I didn't unde ...more
Chris Gager
May 28, 2014 Chris Gager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This will be my second read of this book. It's been a few years and also a while since I've read any Alice Munro, my favorite writer. Nobel Prize winner now and well deserved! I decided to read it because my friend Alice wrote some trivia questions from it and I couldn't remember much.

"Runaway" is the lead story and one I read first in The New Yorker. In fact, I may not have actually read any of these stories in book form before. Five of the eight appeared in the New Yorker and that's where I l
Matt
If Alice Munro built a bridge out of popsicle sticks to cross the Colorado River at any point, I wouldn't hesitate to step on it. Whatever there is to say about her genius, and there's a lot, we have to say, of all the instruments she commands as a writer, *structure* is the one with which she is most masterful. This is how she's a realist--not because all the people in her stories wear pants (when appropriate) and none have nipples that light up like flashlights on touch, but because meaning an ...more
Hakan
Nov 16, 2015 Hakan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobel ödüllü Alice Munro'nun okuduğum ilk kitabı. Hikayelerin çoğu iç burkucu, güçlü eserler. Bana biraz Raymond Carver'ı da andırdı. Ana kahramanlar genelde mutsuz kadınlar. Bazı hikayeler arasında bağlantı olması hoş bir sürpriz de yaratıyor. Yalnız son hikaye Powers'ı yarım bıraktım, kopuk kopuk geldi, bir türlü içine giremedim.
Elizabeth (Alaska)
All of these stories seemed based on an element of chance. Not chance as in risk, but chance as in happenstance, although sometimes taking advantage of that happenstance required some risk. There are but eight stories in this collection, each with a one word title. Perversely, perhaps, the title story was the least appealing to me. Five of the stories were previously published in The New Yorker. All were set in typical Munro fashion in either rural Ontario or near Vancouver.

My favorites were the
arcobaleno
Diario dell’anima
24 giugno 2012:
L’ho appena iniziato, ma, anche questa volta non posso aspettare…
È incredibile quanto la Munro riesca a comunicare con un linguaggio semplice e attraverso situazioni del tutto comuni. Sorprende la sua capacità di leggere al di là delle cose e di presentare l’animo femminile, di scavarlo, svuotarlo…
Insomma, già il primo racconto In fuga non mi ha lasciato indifferente, confermando che questa scrittrice si presenta in sordina e si fa apprezzare un po’ alla volta; m
S©aP
Mar 25, 2014 S©aP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malinconica e inquietante, Munro. Raffinata pittrice del destino. Tessitrice di trame sottili, attraverso le quali intravvedere sempre l'orlo di un baratro mai compiutamente descritto. Sia esso un oscuro dramma familiare, un turpe segreto trattenuto per anni, o una semplice, improvvisa, nuova consapevolezza di sé. Una narrativa soave, ben meditata, che esalta l'immaginazione e lascia sempre a metà strada, tra il semplice ascolto di una storia e una riflessione più profonda, su opinioni inespress ...more
Pio
Oct 16, 2014 Pio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, nobel, favorites
Đúng như lời giới thiệu, quyển sách là một cuộc đi bộ chậm rãi và tỉ mỉ trên con đường tới nội tâm của những con người. Những ý nghĩ thoáng qua, những dấu hiệu nhỏ nhặt, nhưng tất cả những điều đó lại có thể làm cho người ta đưa ra những quyết định lớn lao của đời mình.
Chris
Jan 04, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I was as excited to read my first collection of Alice Munro short stories as I had been to start Don Delillo’s Americana a year earlier. In both cases, I actually had trouble getting to sleep the night before. Like a child on Christmas Eve! This is the way books and new authors affect me these days. Especially the process of starting down a long road with an author with an impressively massive bibliography. I was excited not just for new stories, but a new way of telling them, and the prospect o ...more
Stela
On the back cover of my Runaway edition it is written, among other things, the following : « …Runaway is a book of extraordinary stories about love and its infinite betrayals and surprises. » Indeed they are. About love, but also about friendship, and about parenthood. But mostly these stories are about loneliness, which leads to evasion and deception – of others and oneself. All presented in that specific Southern Ontario Gothic style, grimly revealing moral, social and religious hypocrisy.
Som
Abby
May 02, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was a little reluctant to begin reading more work by Alice Munro, as the images burned into my brain by "Wild Swans" have never fully left.
This collection is not nearly so haunting as I remember Alice Munro's other stories, and therefore also more enjoyable. Some of the pieces, notably "Runaway" and "Grace," had me forgetting that I was reading Alice Munro, and not that other prolific Canadian author, Margaret Atwood. Maybe there is something similar about the two writers, or maybe there is ju
the stranger
Jun 06, 2016 the stranger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
İyi edebiyatın verdiği zevki başka hiçbir şey veremez insana. En azından bana.

Alice Munro okurken vücudumun her hücresi iyi edebiyatla karşı karşıya olduğunun farkında oluyor sanki. Zihnimdeki ufak bir ses zevk çığlıkları atıyor. Ve ben her öykünün bitiminde dalgın dalgın çevreye bakıyorum, dünya üzerinde böyle güzel insanların olduğunu bir kez daha fark edip mutlu oluyorum.

Firar, okuduğum ilk Alice Munro kitabı değil. Daha önce Sevgili Hayat'ı okumuştum. Bu kitap en başta çevirmeni Roza Hakmen
2015 Reading Chal...: Runaway by Alice Munro 2 31 Feb 02, 2015 06:56PM
  • Reasons for and Advantages of Breathing
  • Swann
  • Among the Missing
  • A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You
Alice Ann Munro, née Laidlaw, is a Canadian short-story writer who is widely considered one of the world's premier fiction writers. Munro is a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction. Her stories focus on human relationships looked at through the lens of daily life. She has thus been referred to as "the Canadian Chekhov."

She is the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Liter
More about Alice Munro...

“The conversation of kisses. Subtle, engrossing, fearless, transforming.” 1243 likes
“This is what happens. You put it away for a little while, and now and again you look in the closet for something else and you remember, and you think, soon. Then it becomes something that is just there, in the closet, and other things get crowded in front of it and on top of it and finally you don't think about it at all.

The thing that was your bright treasure. You don't think about it. A loss you could not contemplate at one time, and now it becomes something you can barely remember.

This is what happens.

...

Few people, very few, have a treasure, and if you do you must hang onto it. You must not let yourself be waylaid, and have it taken from you.”
104 likes