Start by marking “Uncle Elephant (I Can Read Book)” as Want to Read:
Uncle Elephant (I Can Read Book)

Uncle Elephant (I Can Read Book)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Uncle Elephant comes to the rescue when his nephew's parents are lost at sea and cares for him until they are found again.
Published October 27th 1981 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Elephant

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakNo, David! by David ShannonHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Books I Don't Mind Reading My Kids.....
312th out of 371 books — 359 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books you have read 7 times
251st out of 352 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Claire
Small Pig: Small Pig was a good pig. I loved Small Pig but the mud got sucked up in the vacuum because it was so dirty in the pig pen and he liked to sink in the mud. I felt bad for Small Pig when all his mud went bye-bye.

Mouse Tales: This was a funny one about how the pants fell down and this old mouse did not like children but they fixed his pants with chewing gum so now he likes children.

Uncle Elephant: I felt bad for the elephant because his mother and father went bye-bye but then Uncle Elep...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his reader.

A nameless little elephant is left alone as his parents go for a sail and end up lost at sea in a storm. Out of the blue Uncle Elephant arrives, takes him to his house where they have a wonderful series of getting-to-know-you adventures, until everything works out in the end.

This book is more like a collection of short stories, like the Frog and Toad books, than a comprehensive story but it is held together by the first and last chapters whic...more
Nicole Fellows
The story "Uncle Elephant" is about a young elephant whose parents get lost at sea. His uncle comes to take care of him. They spend several days together where his uncle tries to make him happy. Finally, the young elephant's parents are found and he returns home.
I thought this was a cute story and it was fun to read about all of the things that the young elephant and his uncle did together. However, I thought it was a little strange that no one seemed too upset when Mother and Father Elephant...more
Lauren
Leif and I read this, and were very sad at the first chapter when it seems the parents have passed away. Had to read the whole thing through so we would find that it wasn't so scary after all. We do love elephants, though. And with Frog and Toad being such good fits, this was a very similar feeling read.
Joe
So, the kid's parents mysteriously disappear and the kid thinks, at some point, that he has three wishes. None of those wishes are spent trying to locate his parents. What kind of message is this sending? Yay, orphans!!!
Nikki Fox
Loved it...read it to my 3 year old daughter tonight, and she loved it. We thought the parents passed away...but ended up with a happy ending...lily grabbed the book and kissed the elephants at the end because she was so happy! We love all Arnold Lobels books...every single one!
Leslie
This is one that I liked more than my little reluctant reader. It's an ideal first chapter book for the beginner reader who has a year of learning under their belt. There are nine chapters and the reading level is perfect for the average child somewhere between first and second grade. The longest words I could find include: counting,wrinkles,opening,peanuts,everything,picture and of course, elephant. Why didn't my (at the time) 6 year old like it? Well, I suppose because it's sort of a sweet, ca...more
Samantha
Uncle Elephant was a tale about a young elephant boy whose parents get lost out at sea. He is sad and lonely until his Uncle Elephant comes to take him back to his house. They have beautiful days, telling stories, singing, and making each other laugh when they felt sad. At the end of the book the boys parents are rescued at sea and he is returned to them, although him and his uncle promise to visit often. I thought that it was a well written kids book,and that it could be very helpful to read to...more
Elizabeth S
A rather sad tale. Warning: parents may want to read this alone before reading to their kids, since the parents die in the beginning of the book. The ending helps (view spoiler), but I wasn't prepared for my preschooler to deal with such a sad subject. In no way am I not recommending this book, I just think it helps for parents if there are potentially emotional issues in a book. For me, I like to read it and see how it is handled so I'm prepare...more
Alisa Hardman
I loved this book. When a young elephant's parents go missing, his elderly uncle comes to take care of him. He is very sensible but also tender and sweet as he cares for his nephew and tries to take his mind off his worry about his parents. Our family's favorite part of the book is the song that Uncle Elephant sings. We made up our own tune and love to sing it. My kids are old enough to make fun of me for getting a little teary-eyed every time I read it, but we enjoy this book very much.
Audra
I thought this was a nice little book. My daughter liked it less, and was insistent that the little elephant have a name - so we named him Arnold. She also insisted the mommy and daddy were alive, and the Uncle should not have cigars. There were funny parts - the Uncle putting on ALL the clothes, to balance the sad parts - missing parents. A sweet little story, with a picture on each page. The words were all age appropriate for young readers.
Miriam
I couldn't love this book more. This was the first book I ever read all by myself, aged 3, tucked up in bed and reading half the night. Obviously, it's a huge landmark book in my life, so I approached rereading it with a bit of trepidation. I'm so glad that I did, however, and I got to experience this warm, wry, and witty book all over again. Uncle Elephant is one of the best books and characters I've ever encountered.
Martinray2
Arnold is probably my favorite author/illustrator for young children.
It seems to me his recurring theme is the need in this world for kindness and loyal friendship.

Uncle Elephant deals with this theme in a way that pushes the envelope and the boundaries of a child's fear of abandonment and loss.
Unfailingly gentle in both picture and tender prose.
Louisa
I liked this book but it wasn't my favorie. I could tell that it was an old story, however, I do think that it is an excellent beginning chapter book for kids. I think that when kids complete a book like this they will feel that they have accomplished something.
Michelle
I thought this story was just ok. I thought it was weird how the uncle came when the parents were thought to be dead and no one seemed to care about the parents. I am glad that the parents did not die, but it was puzzling to think that no one was sad.
Devin
I didn't really like it because it seems like it's going to be a book to help children deal w/ the loss of a loved one but he never talks about it; just entertains the id by distracting him w/ stories, etc. I don't think that's a healty way to cope.
Valerie
Good little reader for my 7 year old boy. He definitely enjoyed it - he got into the stories (some more than others) and even cracked up a time or two. He enjoyed the illustrations and did a great job reading through this.
Leslie
Elephant's mother and father are missing. Uncle Elephant collects him for a visit while they are being searched for. These short stories are of Uncle Elephant's time with his nephew.

Ages 4-8 / Reading w/help.
Randie
Mother and Father Elephant are lost at sea, so Uncle Elephant cares for his nephew until they are found. This book is a series of short chapters that are sure to keep learning readers engaged.
Evan
I liked the part where Uncle Elephant was good. I also liked when the momma and dadda went away because they went on a trip. There are all these different stories, and I liked them.
Katrina
Author of Frog and Toad. Little elephants parents get lost at sea so Uncle Elephant comes to take care of him. They spend wonderful days together and then the parents are found
Shelley
Beginning Reader. I thought this was a cute story, but i'm not sure that it would really catch the interest of many children. You can tell that it is an older story.
Heather
Cute story! I love reading about adults who go the extra mile to care for children, doing unexpected and silly things to make them smile and be comforted.
Danielle Miskin
Cute story. Child Elephant connects with his old uncle elephant. Easy read. Kind of long. Shows a good relationship. Uncle elephant is a good role model
Greggd
Liked it, another solid early reader from Lobel. Read this one aloud, but it would make a good read on your own book for beginning readers.
Rachel
Each chapter has a different theme. This could confuse kids, but they could understand it. I didn't like the story, but kids might.
Emilee M.
This book was a little bit boring but it was a nice book to show relationships and missing those you love.
Cheryl
I love Arnold Lobel! Pair this with a nonfiction elephant book for a good fiction/nonfiction lesson.
  • Oliver
  • Henry and Mudge and the Sneaky Crackers (Henry and Mudge, #16)
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • Morris the Moose
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)