Start by marking “The Lord of the Rings” as Want to Read:
The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings

Audio CD, abridged, BBC Radio Dramatisation, 13 CDs
Published December 1st 1999 by Random House Audio (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord of the Rings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord of the Rings

Andrew
Jan 29, 2017 Andrew rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic, and so much fun listening to in the car while driving. There were a couple times that the acting seemed slightly over the top, but overall it was really amazing, and those moments didn't distract from the story at all.

Now all I want to do is reread the book and rewatch the films...
Adrianna
Mar 08, 2012 Adrianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of J.R.R. Tolkien, Fans of radio dramas
Recommended to Adrianna by: Ventura County Library Staff, Ventura, CA
Shelves: classic, fantasy, audio
I was really excited when I discovered this BBC audio dramatization of Tolkien's classic Lord of the Rings trilogy. It was highly recommended by a staff member at the Ventura County Library in Ventura, California. Even though sections from the original books had been cut and altered for the dramatization, she said that it was an experience that any Tolkien fan would enjoy.

The box and the CDs are beautiful! They have images, maps, and other useful information about the trilogy and author on each
Daniel Archer
Solid adaptation but oscillates from wooden to overwrought. The musical score is a nice touch overall but some of the songs of the elves and Rohirrim are cover-your-ears awful / why people think they hate classical music.
Anne Marie Gazzolo
Aug 22, 2015 Anne Marie Gazzolo rated it it was amazing
I've listened to this magnificent adaptation so many times I've lost count. It is wonderful and faithful to the book. Ian Holm rocks Frodo from innocent lad to one near destroyed by his burden. Actually just about everyone is tremendously well done. Love it, love it, love it!
Douglas Wilson
Jun 14, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a BBC dramatization, and was very well done. Nancy and I had a long drive to Montana last week, and then back, and then had to finish it off with a few shorter jaunts while back home. Tolkien was just a good business.
Ma
Feb 18, 2016 Ma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This BBC dramatization, in 13 chapters of 1hour each, was quite a nice way to get into that story once again. Great performances, including those of Ian Holm who plays Frodo and Bill Nighy as Sam Gamgee.
There's quite a bit of screaming at some point, and that can be a bit painful though! Particularly when it happens during the Sam/Frodo episodes, who tend to be told in a lower softer voice (so you would have cranked up the volume to hear better maybe, and then your ears starts bleeding from the
Jeremy
Feb 07, 2012 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Great dramatization. I listened to this dramatized version on my way to work. Because it was an adaptation, I'm counting this as only one book, not three. I think it's the second time I've listened through these CDs. I was going to finish on my birthday (March 24), but I heard that Sauron was defeated on March 25, so I put it off until then.
Brandon G
May 05, 2014 Brandon G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no thing I can say about The Lord Of The Rings that many more competent people already haven't.
Is one of the greatest universes and stories ever created. Captivating and mesmerizing.

If you are reading reviews as to make up your mind to read it or not, trust a stranger, thousands and millions of them, and do. You will not regret it.
Emelie
Really great dramatization. The cast and production did a wonderful work bringing this story to life.
Robin
Nov 25, 2016 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During a recent vacation, I beguiled parts of my drive to South Dakota, northern Minnesota, and back to Missouri by listening to the 1981 BBC Radio full-cast dramatization of The Lord of the Rings - the trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien that I have read several times in book form (and reviewed here), and once in a 1979 full-cast recording produced by U.S. National Public Radio (reviewed here), besides viewing not one but two film adaptations. The story needs no more reviewing, but I just wanted to comme ...more
Neil Coulter
Jul 31, 2015 Neil Coulter rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
Recommended to Neil by: Anne Marie Gazzolo
Shelves: fiction, tolkien

Review of the BBC dramatized audio version:

While on a massive road trip this summer, our family listened to the BBC's dramatized audio edition of The Lord of the Rings. It was first produced in 1981, airing on BBC Radio 4 in 26 half-hour episodes. CD releases, including the 1999 reissue that we listened to, have remixed the content into 13 hour-long episodes. Though I've been a fan of Tolkien for most of my life life, and I've heard good things about this dramatized version, this was my first

Tom
Jul 23, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the BBC audiobook version.

Thanks to Peter Jackson's film series, just about everyone knows Tolkien's great trilogy, though not everyone has read them. The BBC did a radio drama version once, and has released it as an audiobook. It is good, though not great. The bad thing about a film version is it will undoubtedly cast a certain actor as a certain character when you read a novel version, no matter what the author did. Case in point, Stephen King does not describe Jack Torrence
Tory S. Anderson
Sep 26, 2016 Tory S. Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Having heard this a dozen times growing up, a favorite bed-time story, the masterful voice acting still delights me when I encounter a film with a voice I recognize (which isn't that rare, considering some of the cream of the BBC crop in this). Though I love the movies, I find myself disappointed when at times it falls short of the expectations of this masterpiece; a line is delivered with less fervor or, most of all, the music and poetry which, in snippets, makes this piece so exceptional is no ...more
Phillip
This 13 part BBC radio dramatization was great fun. I have no quarrel with it. It sounded to me like they used Tolkien's dialogue for the script. The tinkering they did with it was minor to my ear. Yet, the voice talent and sound effects were excellent.

Last weekend my mother-in-law gave the set to me along with The Hobbit and a disk of music using Tolkien's writings for lyrics while doing Spring-cleaning to her house. She knows how much I like Tolkien. I like it well enough that it got to the t
Keith Bowden
Jun 24, 2008 Keith Bowden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, radio
Listening to this dramatisation has become something of an annual event for me. I started in 1997, Thanksgiving Day, listening to the entire 13-hour series as I cooked & ate my Thanksgiving Day meal and drew the first of my illustrated Christmas cards (beginning another tradition). I still tend to do that when I can, but since I do get to spend Thanksgiving with family these days, I either listen to it on another day or serially during the month of November. Brilliant adaptation, featuring I ...more
Amy
Aug 02, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
This BBC radio production is abridged and adapted, and it begins with an added scene that is not in the book. So, if you're hard core Tolkien, you may not like this. I found the adaptions suitable for radio. The story contains and is true to all the main parts. Though many fine details of the story are left out, there is much gained with the neat sound effects and actors voices. Hobbits, wizards, lords, elves, and men fight a dark and evil lord over a magical ring. A great story.
Linda
This review is for The Fellowship of the Ring, BBC Dramatization, radio program. The audio quality is fantastic. The dramatization is superb, as well. Unfortunately, I think that too much of the original book is left out. I was confused with the start of every new scene. Several times I stopped the CD, so my son, who already read the book, could explain to me what was happening. This is a great CD set for someone who has already read the trilogy.
Mary Lou
Aug 29, 2010 Mary Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read aloud mostly to RG and mostly on road trips in the last year - read for the umpteenth time, really should have kept track!) - what’s left to say? Any book that sustains this many readings and still makes you cry in appropriate places is a gem. We did skim over the meanderings of Sam and Frodo in the Emyn Muil as we both find that part drags a bit, but otherwise read and enjoyed every word.
Philitsa
Jul 21, 2007 Philitsa rated it it was amazing
Fantastic for a long road trip! I'm usually not a fan of audio books while driving -- they can sometimes make me drowsy depending on the reader. But this isn't someone reading the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy; it's the BBC acting it out. I felt like I was listening to those old timey radio programs where the sound of a horse galloping is made by knocking two blocks of wood together. So not only was it a great story (a given), it was fun to wonder how they made those sounds.
Amy
Mar 12, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the books, which I have read before, but was looking for something to listen to in the car so I got these at the library. I would have preferred a lot more narration to give some of the wonderful details Tolkien includes. And, having read the books I knew what was going on, but if someone was not familiar with the novels I think some of the dramatization would be difficult to follow.
Melissa Gabelman
This BBC Radio full-cast audio presentation is really well done, minus some weird echoing effects. However, if I wanted a dramatic retelling of the story, I would go watch the movies. I was looking for the actual story, and will not be continuing with this version.
Nicholas Whyte
"It is very very good, and I strongly recommend it. Ian Holm as Frodo, Bill Nighy as Sam, Michael Hordern as Gandalf, and John Le Mesurier as Bilbo are excellent in their roles. (Shout out also to Stephen Thorne as Treebeard and Jack May as Th
Chris
This is a wonderful adaption of TLOR. The script writer was Brian Silby, who did some of the tie in books for Peter Jackson's movies. Ian Holm, who played Biblo in the films, voices Frodo here. The radio script follows the book very closely.
Steven Hummer
Wish the actual books where out on CD not just the radio drama but this was ok.
Dan
Apr 02, 2009 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun and very entertaining! The BBC does a wonderful job.
Orione
Jul 31, 2016 Orione rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best
An epic triology - in every sense of the word 'epic'. I also love the linguistic aspects to this story. It's one of my most favourite books.
Nancy Townsend
The definitive epic fantasy, vividly brought to life in the best radio adaptation I have ever heard.
Mark Cerasaro
May 24, 2013 Mark Cerasaro rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasyread
Good job, Sir Ian Holm
Elizabeth
Sep 12, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who love a slice of cheese
Shelves: audio
listened to this on a cross country road trip. it was really entertaining. slightly abridged, but good. ian holm as frodo, beautiful swelling music, but the yelling! so much yelling!
Macsen Brown
Although sometimes difficult to fully understand, an amazing series.
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...