Start by marking “Ring! Yo?” as Want to Read:
Ring! Yo?

Ring! Yo? (Yo!)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The two friends of the Caldecott Honor Book Yo! Yes? meet again...telephonically. We see one side of their conversation, shown through the simple words and body language of one boy (and can make up our own story for it) -- then, at the end of the book, the other boy's side is shown as well. The mood moves from cheerful to miffed and back again -- in a way kids will instant ...more
Published February 15th 2000 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about Ring! Yo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ring! Yo?

Rashanda Ravenel
Jul 14, 2014 Rashanda Ravenel rated it it was amazing
Chris Raschka continues to impress me! This book is so fun to read. It is a great way to practice reading with inflection. It can also be used to have a lesson focused on punctuation. I would like students to come up with there own version so that the other students can guess at the topic of conversation. It was fun for me because I have often tried to figure out what is being said based off of one side of a phone conversation.
Shakeema Gabriel
Jul 16, 2014 Shakeema Gabriel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
I love how my teacher read this in class. This is a phone read aloud . At the end the children can talk about what they thought the conversation was about. They could make up their own version with a partner.
Antonia
Jul 07, 2013 Antonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-books
This book is a super awesome way to get children talking and using their imaginations. The book allows us the reader to see one aspect of the story which will allow teachers to prompt students to create an alternate conversation and possible ending. Love the book.
Zequoia Hyche
Jul 10, 2014 Zequoia Hyche rated it really liked it
Shelves: learning-tools
At first when I read this book, I thought to myself okay, I have no clue what is happening. The text was cute, and it is pieced together quite skillfully in the form of a conversation, but I still cannot make out what this conversation is about. However, the element of surprise was hidden at the end of the story. This aspect alone tied everything together for me. This story can be used as a great learning tool when getting to children to understand how to create conversations using a phone just ...more
Grace Willits
Nov 23, 2013 Grace Willits rated it it was amazing
Ring! Yo? is the dialogue from one side of a phone conversation. The boy is on the phone with another boy who is shown on the page prior to the title page. His phrases never exceed two words, for example, “Then?” or “Uh-huh”. The reader is able to understand what type of voice inflection to use based on the boy’s facial expression and posture. At the end of the phone conversation, Chris Raschka asks, “Hey! What just happened there?”, exactly what the reader is thinking. This creates a very inte ...more
Paul
Feb 23, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Lots of energy as Raschka infuses his one-side-of-the-conversation story with street vernacular, watercolors, pastels and cut paper. The engaging aspect is the reader needs to invent the comments from the unheard speaker on the other end of the phone. If there's a drawback, it's that the final pages actually fill in the other side of the conversation, rather than leaving us wondering and inventing. I wonder whether that was Raschka's idea or his publisher.
Kyra Calnan
Nov 09, 2013 Kyra Calnan rated it really liked it
Ring! Yo? is the dialogue from one side of a phone conversation. The boy is on the phone with another boy who is shown on the page prior to the title page. His phrases never exceed two words, for example, “Then?” or “Uh-huh”. The reader is able to understand what type of voice inflection to use based on the boy’s facial expression and posture. At the end of the phone conversation, Chris Raschka asks, “Hey! What just happened there?”, exactly what the reader is thinking. He then provides a potent ...more
Asalyn Holliday
This book is so fun to read! It would be great for teaching students about how inflection changes based on punctuation. It would also be great for leading into an activity using phones where students could work with a peer and practice listening and taking turns in a conversation.
Crystal Jackson
Jul 12, 2014 Crystal Jackson rated it it was amazing
"WHAT?" This book is so GREAT! I thought it was really funny. While your reading the book, you are trying to figure out what is going on. This is an excellent book to use when teaching children different ways to say hello. You can also incorporate different languages.
Brittney Daniel
This book was an awesome communication story. It kept children and adults engaged as well as wonder what were they talking about. Children can make predictions about what they are talking about and can also let the children construct their own dialect.
Nia King
Jul 10, 2014 Nia King rated it it was amazing
Shelves: communication
This book is a great way to practice communication skills and the use of imagination. It keeps you in suspense throughout the book with the simple one word responses. It can also teach students how to express themselves verbally with punctuation.
Kiera Turner
Jul 10, 2014 Kiera Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: conversation
I thought this book was really cute! This would be a great way to introduce conversation to children. You could bring in play phones and have the children take turns having their own phone conversations!
Sabeen
Jul 12, 2014 Sabeen added it
A great book to introduce dialogue ( a type of text print) to young children! also it is ver simple and animated. The dialogue also allows for children to learn about communication and being social.
Emilye
Feb 01, 2012 Emilye rated it liked it
This is a book that allows one to use the imagination. There are a minimal amount of words but yet so much can be determined from the lack of words. Only one side of a telephone conversation is heard and therefore so much is left up to the imagination of children. Children can create their own story which is typically something children like to do. I think this book would be great for children because it truly allows them to just be a child and not have to do a lot critical thinking. However, th ...more
Jordan Starr
In 'Ring! Yo?' the author, Chris Raschka only tells half of the story, or one side of a phone conversation. Until the end, when both friends are shown, young listeners will have the chance to fill in for themselves half of the phone conversation. Of course, the body language of the boy is eloquent in the pictures as well. His friend is peeved, feels rejected. And so this afternoon he'll be playing with someone else. The young boy goes from angry, to upset and sad, to happy again. Children and in ...more
Samantha
A unique concept for a book here. Readers see and hear one side of a telephone conversation. By the end of the story it's unclear what has happened over the course of the phone call so the author gives readers a hypothetical script, then encourages readers to create their own script.

Watercolor, pastels, and cut paper were used to create the artwork. I liked how the artwork reflected the slight differences in emotion over the course of the conversation. It added complexity to the stunning simplic
Liz Todd
Aug 10, 2013 Liz Todd rated it really liked it
Ok.. this book was such a surprise adventure for me. I didn't think I would make it through the first read--it's just one side of a phone conversation. However, once we discovered the 2-sided conversation at the end of the book, we enjoyed reading that together in 2 voices. THEN the fun began. It was so much fun to try to create the "other" side of the conversation! Really, really enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd reads of this book. Fun times. We also liked that the characters were our old friends from Y ...more
Arica Newcom
Ring! Yo? is a good book to use with young readers. It only shares one side of a phone conversation so readers are interested with what is happening on the other end of the conversation. The only words in the story are words such as ring and yo so it is a great fit for young readers who are still learning sight words. The end also shares the other side of the conversation so students can guess and then see what the characters were actually talking about.
Bee
Jun 22, 2011 Bee added it
I thought this book was funny, it is actually a little boy (shown) having a telephone conversation with someone else that you cannot see. When I read the book, I thought that the words on the pages were between two people going back and forth, and not one-side of the conversation.

This book opens up opportunity for abstract thinking. It allows the child to try and construct a conversation from what they heard the boy in the story say.
Carly Gates
Jul 13, 2013 Carly Gates rated it liked it
Shelves: problem-solving
I had never heard of this book before. I think it has a good text-to-world connection for children, because they can walk outside, into a grocery, or even into their living room and hear someone talking on the phone. When they do, they are only hearing one side of the conversation. Sometimes it's easy to guess what the other person is saying and sometimes it just sounds silly!
Kendra Kinnan
Oct 14, 2011 Kendra Kinnan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book can help students learn inference skills. The dialogue featured in the book is just one sided. It is our job as the reader to guess or infer what the boy on the other side of the phone is saying. This could be a great starter to a response activity. The back of the book gives a suggested conversation but the students could easily make up there own.
Katrina Kim
Feb 19, 2013 Katrina Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
* Introduces dialouge
- How conversations are constructed

* Opportunity for imagination and abstract thinking
- Boy is having a conversation with someone, but the other person's dialouge is not present

* Teaches syntax : quatation marks, exclaimination marks, question marks, capital letters, periods, etc.

* Have students make up their own conversations
Lakeira King
Jul 09, 2013 Lakeira King added it
Shelves: fun
This was a very interesting book! I thought it was very cool writing a book about a phone conversation that you only hear one side of. A great teaching idea i think would be to have the children write what they think the person on the other line is saying. Then later you can read what the author had in mind about what the person on the other line is saying.
Brandy Locchetta
This is a really cute boom full of opportunities to use expression and enthusiasm in a read aloud. In class this book was paired with phonics phones for a great prop to use with children. When reading the book the children could repeat using the phone and listen to the change in their voices when they whisper, speak loudly, question, etc...
Ashley Douglas
Feb 14, 2012 Ashley Douglas rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrenslit
This is a children's book that is a one-sided conversation consisting of one-word phrases. This book is a great tool to let children imagine what is going on on the other side of the telephone. In the back at the end, there is an actual conversation for those who can't imagine themselves with the real conversation on the other side.
Natalie Haskins
This books gives children to use their imagination and interpret the book however they want! This is an excellent book for younger students and struggling readers because it allows them freedom. It takes away the pressure of having the "right" answer and encourages them to think what they want!
Emily
This is a book I would use for 3rd and 4th grade. The message is to show students that often times you only hear one side of a conversation. Also, it demonstrates that rumors can really hurt. It is a book that I would use if some of the students were having difficulty with rumors and secrets.
Kate Busch
I do not really care for this book. It is a simple book that shows you one side of a conversation and then shows you both sides of the conversation. It is a good tool to use for fluency and teaching kids you don't always hear the whole story, however I am not sure I would use it in my classroom.
Mackenzie Raatz
I think this book is a wonderful read aloud that captivates students attention and allows them to predict the ending. It leaves for an open ended discussion afterwards about what the conversation was about. I can incorporate an activity for students to write an ending to the book!
Sharena
Jun 22, 2011 Sharena added it
Shelves: friends
This book was genius to me. You see one character talking on the phone the majority of the time and you don't know what the other person is saying. It gives the child an opportunity to create a phone conversation from the responses that are given on the pages. This is such a fun book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • White Socks Only
  • Freedom Summer
  • Ugly Fish
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
  • Wombat Walkabout
  • Zoom
  • One Boy
  • The Feelings Book
  • Apple Pie Fourth of July
  • Time to Say "Please"!
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • Yes Day!
"I always try to treat the book itself as the artwork," Chris Raschka says. "I don't want you to stop while you're reading one of my books and say, 'Oh! What a gorgeous illustration!' I want you to stop at the end of the book and say, 'This is a good book.' "

Chris Raschka is one of those people who knew from an early age what he wanted to be when he grew up. "It was never a question in my mind,"
More about Chris Raschka...

Yo! (2 books)