Start by marking “Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1

Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 (Essential Amazing Spider-Man #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  2,109 ratings  ·  44 reviews
While attending a demonstration on radiation, high school student Peter Parker was bitten by a spider that had been exposed to radioactive rays. Learning he had gained great arachnid-like abilities, the timid teenager donned a colorful costume of his own design - seeking fame and fortune as the Amazing Spider-Man! But his Uncle Ben's death - tragedy he could have prevented ...more
Published March 8th 2006 by Marvel (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1

Spider-Man by Jeph LoebSpider-Man by J.M. DeMatteisThe Amazing Spider-Man by Gerry ConwayUltimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1 by Brian Michael BendisMarvel Masterworks by Stan Lee
Best of Spider-Man!
70th out of 162 books — 61 voters
Batman by Frank MillerSwamp Thing, Vol. 1 by Alan MooreAstro City, Vol. 1 by Kurt BusiekSuperman by Mark MillarWatchmen by Alan Moore
Superhero Origin Stories
38th out of 45 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Elijah Spector
Damn, I forgot just how depressing these original Spider-Man issues are. Pretty much every one ends with Peter Parker crying, being villified, insulted by a girl he was into, etc. etc., and when there IS a happy ending, there's always one more page to make sure he's down in the dumps again by the end.

I mean, of course he's a famous underdog, teenage hero... but I forgot just how well Stan Lee nailed both of those aspects. Good God.
Zack! Empire
What’s amazing about this story is how after 50 years the elements introduced in these first issues are still the ones that are being carried on today. That shows you how powerful and perfect the ideas were. Right from the beginning we have the main cast, from Aunt May to Jolly Jonah himself. Even the villains are classic. There isn’t one villain in here that isn’t still being used today. (A possible exception being the Big Man, but really isn’t Kingpin just the new Big man? Okay, okay, the liv ...more
Von der ersten Ausgabe an spitze

Das ist der Superheld, der die Comicwelt verändert hat. Spider-Man hat die ganze Gefühls- und Innendarstellung von Superhelden von einem Tag auf den anderen umgekrempelt - plötzlich waren die Helden nicht mehr die strahlenden Supermänner ohne Belastungen, sondern die Probleme der Normalmenschen und das Alltagsleben nehmen Einzug in diese ausschließlich glamouröse Welt. Liebesprobleme, Geldsorgen, Krankheiten und soziale Ausgrenzung finden hier von der ersten Ausga
It's Ditko's artwork that really shines in these early stories with nearly every panel offering something fresh and new.

There's also a lot of groundwork set down here by Lee and it's impossible to understate the importance of the introduction of a teenage superhero with day to day problems. vilified by society and struggling with his love life. Having read a lot of early Batman stories recently, this really does feel like refreshing stuff. Still, the faults of these early comics are rarely point
At one point towards the end of this volume, the Parker family doctor refers to Aunt May as a hardy woman -- that's an understatement, given than in the course of 21 issues and an annual she manages to have at least three heart attacks, two major operations, sundry lesser attacks and ailments, is apparently at least eighty and extremely slight...but she strives to take care of Peter and spends a lot of convalescence time trying to be up and around to feed him pancakes and set him up on blind dat ...more
Chad Warner
May 17, 2011 Chad Warner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spider-Man fans
Shelves: fiction
The original story of Spider-Man and several of his most popular opponents. As a Spider-Man fan, I’m ashamed to admit it took me this long to read these comics. They’re definitely products of their time, as evidenced by the slang, dress, and cultural references. It was also funny how the cover of every comic claimed to be the best ever. This book’s a must-read for any Spider-Man fan.

Spider-Man has been my favorite superhero for as long as I can remember. It’s probably because I can identify with
While I have been a Spider-Man fan off and on since the 90's I had never read how it all began. Sure we all know the origin but I wanted to kind of go back in time and see how Spidey/Peter was characterized back then.

This is a fantastic way to get those early stories that would be way to pricey to buy in their original form. There is also a lot of content here. My one complaint is that they were totally in black and white but still not bad to get the first 21 Spider-Man stories for $10-15.

The s
New Frontiersnerd

Existe um antes e depois de Steve Ditko na história do Homem-Aranha. O paradoxo só é aparente: ainda que Ditko seja o primeiro desenhista regular do personagem, ele o encontrou assim para devolvê-lo assim.

As diferenças entre as duas imagens superam a PISTOLA DE TEIAS: ao contrário da primeira versão, de Jack Kirby [pelo que se diz, uma versão genérica de The Fly, personagem que o rei co-criou com Joe Simon], o Homem-Aranha de Ditko
Edward Johnson
The ESSENTIAL SPIDER-MAN volume one was an interesting read. The famous first appearance in AMAZING FANTASY is a fairly standard story. When Spider-Man gets his own title the stories got stronger. In his first issue, not only does it feature a cameo of the Fantastic Four with Spider-Man rescuing a space capsule from certain included an extra feature introducing the villain known as the Chameleon. The rest of the first volume proves why Marvel changed the landscape of the comic book ind ...more
Edward Cheer
Yeah, it's cheesy. Yeah, it's clunky. Yeah, it's kind of stupid. But compared to other comics from back in the 60's, this is some pretty good material. Sure the villains aren't that great, and the plots are dumb... but it's got some heart to it. You can tell Lee cared about the character of Peter Parker and his life, when he wrote this story.
Incredibly formulaic, but an interesting background on Peter Parker and some iconic Spider-Man villains. While Spider-Man is definitely not my favorite Marvel hero, it was fun to read an earlier comic. The Vulture and of course The Green Goblin stood out to me. And damn, does Peter lead a depressing life. Hopefully, in the next volume he will have some better luck.
A lot of fun. Spiderman is funny, the artwork isn't terrible, and some of the story lines are actually depressing and/or memorable.
There is also some bad art, cheesy story lines, and tacky villains, but.....
I love Spiderman.
I was never the biggest fan of Lee's writing or of Ditko's art. By the time I started reading comics in the late 1970s, better artists and writers had made the character who he was to me, so I never really cared about the idea that he was a vulnerable teen so much as he was a young adult living on his own and holding his own with the likes of the Avengers as he does today. However, I have to acknowledge that if these stories hadn't come along then the character could not have been expanded and f ...more
Still reading this one, but Spidey is a favorite of mine. He's pretty down to earth and has his weaknesses, he's friendly and conflicted and believes that 'with great power comes great responsibility.' I'm not huge on spiders, but they're a pretty cool creature nonetheless and they take care of lots of bugs for us.

The thing I've noticed about comic books is that they provide a snapshot of the history of their time-frame. It shows what our cultured valued at those times, which is fun to try to f
Cj Chua
it is interesting.
Never a huge Spider-man fan myself, but it's hard to deny his place in comic book history or the imagination, humor and energy that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko bring to these stories and the amazing amount of characters that are still in use in comics to this day and have become part of the foundation of the marvel comics universe.

Fun stuff, as Lee is able to write soap hero as well as super heroics in a way that make them over the top and part of the fun, rather than dragging the story down.

Sam Poole
Some of this is great, some of it annoying, some of it boring, some of it still ahead of its time. The second volume so far seems much better because there are parts of this that are dated. That said, the merging of romance, horror, superhero and comedy are almost seamless here. The newspaper print made my eyes hurt and gloss over sometimes BUT this is definitely worth reading. The best issues are the ones where Peter Parker is fighting Flash, girl troubles and his aunt. Interested in more!
Variaciones Enrojo
Colección Omnigold. Primer tomo de la colección cronológicamente hablando.
Classic! To enjoy it, pretend you're 10 again, and it's a classic
These stories aren't great by modern standards. They're written for a younger audience, hinge on a lot of coincidence and luck, and almost all are one-shots, hurling forward quickly with little development or tension-building.

That said, it's pretty amazing with Stan Lee and Steve Ditko did here. Spider-man arrives almost fully formed--the costume, the wise-cracks, the rouges gallery, Peter's family and friends--they're all laid out in the first 20 or so issues.
This is the first book any respectable Spider-fan should get (the second is, of course, Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1). This collects and reprints some of the most classic Spidey tales ever, including the majority of his rogue gallery intro stories and the oh-so-motivational issue #19, in which Spidey, after nearly giving up the mantle, bears the world's punishments like a man and kicks butt in a series of well-done fight sequences. Congrats, Stan and Steve, congrats.
Holden Attradies
This was definitely one of the easiest of the Marvel essential Vol. 1's that dates back from the beginning of marvel. But I think the thing that stood out the most is how pretty much every issue in here introduced a villain that was memorable and is still a big part of the Marvel lore. Especially when compared to the villains in say the first volumes of X-Men or Fantastic Four or Thor, whats in here as antagonists was great.
This is a classic regardless what you think of comic books. I mean it's Spider-Man! Yeah there is some cheesy writing here and there but what wonderful cheesy writing it is. Truly Spider-Man began a new era,and has stood the test of time.
These Essential Marvel books I also think are great. They are black and white, but thay are also reasonably priced. Highly recomended for people who just want to know the whole story.
A true classic of the genre, it is easy to see why this was so popular. Lee and Ditko play with audience expectations all the time, subvert the comic book genre as it was in the 60s to make one of the great runs. Of course this has dated, too much text clutters the pages, too much exposition and thinking out loud... But all this is forgivable taking into account the historical context of the comics.
Classic, concentrated creativity. Lots of essential Marvel villains get born in this collection, Peter Parker as a late teen superhero protagonist with the inner conflicts of this duality; all this forms the great basics for this series, yet the overall quality of the stories vary, and some seem more quickly written than others, which is why I can't give it top grades.
Jared Abrahamson
Sure, these comics are dated. Sure, they're reprinted here without color. But it's wonderful to see the birth of Spider-Man. All the angst and drama that comes from Peter Parker is present here. I love Stan Lee's hyperbolic writing, and Steve Ditko's quirky style. You can't go wrong with this massive phone book size collection. It's pretty cheap too.
Ronald Wilcox
First twenty issues that SPiderman appears in, introducing such villains as Kraven the Hunter, the Green Goblin, Mysterio, the Chameleon, the Scorpion, Sandman, the Enforcers, Electro, and others. Shows the initial development of Spider-man while he is still just a high school kid. Great read for comic fans.
This was enjoyable and much more solid than its DC contemporaries. Still, its tough to read all at once. Most panels are 40% text. I prefer the more modern style of letting the images do some of the talking.
Christopher Litsinger
A total favorite from being a kid and getting to read Spider-Man in Maine (I wasn't allowed to read comics at home). A silly read, but having fun with comic books on the color nook.
A lot of people bandy about the word essential. The color version would be more essential, but it can be cool to see it without color too and this is much more affordable.
Difference between this series and "Essential Spider-Man" series? 2 7 Aug 20, 2013 01:21PM
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 6
  • Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
  • Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 1
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber) is an American writer, editor, creator of comic book superheroes, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

With several artist co-creators, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, and many other characters, introducing complex,
More about Stan Lee...

Essential Amazing Spider-Man (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 2
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 8
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 9
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 10
  • Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 11
How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 1 Marvel Masterworks: The X-Men, Vol. 1 Essential Classic X-Men, Vol. 1 The Zodiac Legacy: Convergence (Zodiac, #1)