Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story

Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  35 reviews
'The Secretary of State is America's face to the world, and in Dr. Rice, the world will see the strength, grace, and decency of our country. . . . I've relied on her counsel, benefited from her great experience, and appreciated her sound and steady judgment. And now I'm honored that she's agreed to serve in my cabinet.'-President George W. Bush, in his official statement n...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 2002)

Mark Mortensen
Born in Birmingham, Alabama in 1954, as a black child Condoleezza Rice witnessed discrimination first hand. Through guidance her well educated parents provided her with a solid foundation full of religion, education and overall confidence as a path forward. Beginning at an early age the multi-talented and gifted Rice was consumed with determination, hard work and regimented practice to perfect her skills.

Her core beliefs and basic grounded principles were simple. While most intellects in the fi...more
Lydia Rogoyawa
I love this woman. She is one of my role models. This book helped me understand how she started out and what kind of a background she has. She is an amazing woman and is grounded. Her faith in God is one of a kind.
Grace
Dec 25, 2010 Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interensted in politics
Shelves: biographies
Condi's parents played a great roll in developing her remarkable confidence and academic abilities. She was one of those self driven students. Since she was a small child she has had a sense of self worth that comes out of a certain kind of experience. Her father motivated her with the idea that regardless of what life held during her child-hood, there were very important things like education that enabled her to do what she wanted and be a success in whatever she wanted to go into.

Condi is trul...more
Cinda
I admire Ms. Rice greatly, and enjoyed learning about her life. I wish the timeline of major events in her life had been in the front of the book instead of in the back--I didn't know it was there until I had finished the book. It would have been a helpful reference while I read, because the author did not write the biography in a sequential format.

That is really my only criticism of the book; it was hard to keep the progress of Condi's life straight in my head when the author jumped back and f...more
Catherine
It was really good!!! I knew Condi had/has accomplished a lot however this book really dug significantly deeper into this talented lady's life.
FYI-The writing style can get a bit 'thick'.
La-Shanda
A child from the Jim Crow south, Condoleezza Rice became one of the most influential women in politics in modern history. Her biography is well written...
I had no idea how talented she is; it's inspiring to see what a person can do. A very positive book, it makes me want to be better at what I do.
David
Did you know she was in church down the road in 63 and heard the bombs go off? You think John McCain has an amazing life story.....
Phase Reading
This biography was easy to read and sustained my interest. The way Condoleezza was raised by her parents (especially her father) was enlightening.

Some chapters it felt as though I was reading the Curriculum Vitae of a superhuman. So many awards, accolades, acronyms, committee and board memberships, charitable and philanthropic works, physical and mental fortitude, linguistic and musical prowess, working 18 hour days...

This book focussed heavily on Condoleezza's achievements, so much so that her...more
Diane
This is an easy and a remarkable read. I knew she was accomplished but had no idea to the extent that the list is awe-inspiring. The only knock I have on the book is that some (a minor number) of the author's additions are unnecessarily silly and fluffy and detract from the overall content of the book. In the opening of one chapter, she writes something like "Once upon a time a beautiful princess was turned into a frog...." and it goes on for a few paragraphs trying to make, what turns out to be...more
Glenn Banks DDS
kind of interesting, not the greatest story but it does explain.
Fredrick Danysh
A mixture of events involving Rice during the administrations of both President Bush's where she held several jobs and her life story from childhood though the end of her term as Secretary of State. An interesting read about an interesting woman. The author portrays in a positive light. Easy to read.
Kevyn
It was interesting to get more background on Condoleezza and her family; however, the book read like a college research paper. It seemed based solely on newspaper and journal articles. I don't recall any interviews with either Condi or people who know her, so the biography is devoid of a personal touch.
Julie
It was a fun read, although I loved the part about her parents much more than the lists and lists and lists of all that she joined and volunteered and participated in. Whew. It just tuckered me out to read it all. Still, a very accomplished woman! And with truly amazing parents.
Jeannie
this was an amazing story, though end before she was appointed as secretary of state. will have to read more on this amazing lady. i can't believe how inspiring I found this. I only read it because my husband asked me to read it for him and give him the summary
Jason Coleman
Very interesting...the book has more background info on her parents than I probably would have included, but it does show the childhood and example she was given. So, I guess it's relevant. She is one very smart lady and a true American hero!
Marjorie.harris
this is interesting, but fails to address how an African-American woman who was raised in Birmingham during the height of the Civil Rights Movement does not seem to carry any of the spirit of that struggle to her position...
Enkhbat Natsagdorj
I knew more about her. A pianist, almost ballerina, Figure Skater, Diplomat, Politician . . . and many more ...

She's perfect. Unfortunately, she has never been a mom.
Lauryn Williams
This book helped me to get to know Condoleeza for more than just her public persona and to learn more about the history of Stanford University. Very insightful
Judith
I enjoyed learning about Condoleezza Rice's life and the influences of her parents, mentors, etc. But the writing seemed repetitive at times.

Suzanne
This was one of the books from a book club I was in. Her life is amazing and so interesting, but I felt the book was a little dry for me.
Karen
Only goes until 9/11 (2001) and I was left wanting more of the last 6 years. Suppose I should look for another book to bridge that gap.
Dawn
Not the most in depth biography but it was ok. Still like her a lot just wish the biography was better.
Mel
Very interesting life story. Only written at about an 8th grade level. I finished it in less than a week.
Mom
Incredible book. Didn't know that she was a concert pianist nor a competitive figure skater.
Mary
What a fabulously interesting woman who grew up essentially the same time I did.
Jan Kramer
An amazing woman with parents who provided the atmosphere for her greatness.
Telly McGaha
Sep 24, 2008 Telly McGaha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Politicos
Condi is now one of my secret (guilty) pleasures. What a woman!
Arnise
Good Read, Informative and interesting. Written well
Jane
Enjoyed learning more about Condoleezza Rice
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking: Vol. 1
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • The Spy Who Came For Christmas
  • Conflict Free Living: How to Build Healthy Relationships for Life
  • Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women
  • What I Believe
  • An American Bride in Kabul
  • Division Street: America
  • Daughter of Persia: A Woman's Journey from Her Father's Harem Through the Islamic Revolution
  • Inside the Jihad: My Life with Al Qaeda
  • The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach
  • A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
  • Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: Reclaim Your True Nature to Create the Life You Want
  • The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential
  • Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities That Make Us Influential
  • Trojan Horse
  • A Grave in Gaza
Sonia Sotomayor: The True American Dream Laura: America's First Lady, First Mother Condi: The Condoleezza Rice Story, New Updated Edition Andrea Bocelli: A Celebration Wesley K. Clark: A Biography