Start by marking “Tertium Organum or the Third Canon of Thought and a Key to the Enigmas of the World.” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  314 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Translated from Russian. Introduction by Claude Bragdon. Partial Contents: The Mystery of Time and Space; Shadows and Reality; Occultism and Love; Animated Nature; Voices of the Stones; Mathematics of the Infinite; The Logic of Ecstasy; Mystical Theosophy; Cosmic Consciousness; The New Morality; Birth of the Superman. Originally published in 1920.
Published May 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published November 30th 1921)

Be the first to ask a question about Tertium Organum or the Third Canon of Thought and a Key to the Enigmas of the World.

Nick G
Oct 27, 2010 Nick G rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A completely mind-blowing dose of non-fiction. Although dated, I cannot find anything more modern online or otherwise that refutes his reasoning. That said, this book involves a lot of reasoning that would be difficult, if not impossible, to support factually. Well grounded though, I can't wait to see how deep he can go...

...finally finished this work. I won't attempt to summarize the depth of what is covered in this book. I will only say that if you are a "thinker", constantly searching for mor
Bruce Michael  Hubbell
Here you will find the mind of the 19th and 20th century philisopher/ Realizers like Ralph Waldo Emerson & Richard Bucke.

Peter D. Ouspensky (March 4, 1878–October 2, 1947), (Pyotr Demianovich Ouspenskii)a Russian philosopher,who invoked euclidean and non-euclidean geometry in his discussions of psychology and higher dimensions of existence. His first book, The Fourth Dimension, appeared in 1909; his second book, Tertium Organum, in 1912; and A New Model of the Universe in 1931. This last wo
Inka
Dec 21, 2007 Inka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very hard book to read and comperhend. I am not too sure if I ever understand this book, might finish it in couple of years!
Rich Schiavi
Mar 31, 2010 Rich Schiavi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
what i wouldn't give to have been a speck of dust in a room where Ouspensky and Gurdjieff were waxing on...
Mojtaba Andalib
this the real book and i will try to find original book over than 700 pages
Bigmakmotorbreath
Dec 21, 2008 Bigmakmotorbreath rated it it was amazing
Russian Theosophy at it's best. Read It>
Barbara Paciotti
Another book I've had on my shelf for decades. Uses mathematics (Warning! high level math, in case you're numbers-challenged) to prove the existence of God!!
Cheryl
Dec 23, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can sum up my impression of this book by quoting a sentence from it: "And truth itself is motion, and can never lead to arrestment, to the cessation of search."

This book, written in 1920, is timeless. It compels the reader to question, to disagree, to pursue. It is also a tool for measuring one's understanding of new concepts...opening the door for something more. I first read this book about 20 years ago, and I am amazed by my growth in consciousness, in awareness. What appeared obscure, the
Sachin Modi
Jan 26, 2015 Sachin Modi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. So many beautiful ideas, leaves you in wonder.
Antonio Iannarone
Sep 10, 2010 Antonio Iannarone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How many times will I allow a Russian Theosophist to break my heart?

I followed his paces so faithfully! He measured his stride so! He spoke to me of his affairs with Kant and with Consciousness.

Ultimately, he believes we are all imperfectly-understanding emanations of the Cosmic Conscious... or of the First Intelligence... call Him what you will.

I still insist that he is the better of Edwin A Abbott (of Flatland acclaim).
Sandeep Saroha
Sep 06, 2012 Sandeep Saroha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Never knew that the beyond can be deduced from philosophy and logic, and that too in such a beautiful manner. And the application of maths was just wow. Ouspensky used analogies very nicely. This book introduced me in much details to the world of beyond world
Jonathan Bermea
Jan 28, 2012 Jonathan Bermea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, Excellent book!

It was the most exciting riveting and analytically challenging book I have ever read.....

I get excited just remembering back when I did read it- even though I did get a headache., I loved it!!!

Jonathan-
Andy
Jan 25, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be very careful with this book. It will take you into a dangerous labyrinth that if you do not take precautions will trap you. He presents a grand problem, The Kantian Problem, but then takes a very wrong road to its resolution.
Moonkey Ocampo
Richard Tod
Mar 08, 2013 Richard Tod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This book opened my mind like a crowbar opening a locked lid. It took lots of pressure but the sudden snap as my mind finally opened has changed my view of life, the world and the universe.
Shant
Apr 15, 2012 Shant marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Came upon this treasure while reading a short story titled, "My Shoe" by a very witty and insatiable writer William Saroyan. Will provide a review upon completion of it.
Dineshphoebus
Nov 02, 2010 Dineshphoebus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the best book which analysed vedanta philosophy of shankaracharya through pure logic.
Carlos
Sep 17, 2012 Carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una mirada diferente del universo y uno de sus misterios más insondables. El tiempo.
Jeremy
Feb 28, 2009 Jeremy marked it as to-read
I started but have not picked it up in awhile so I will read it later.
Bill Gusky
Helped me think through multidimensional ideas. Otherwise this one's a relic.
Rich
Jun 15, 2012 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as in search of the Miraculous, but interesting
Mila
Jan 17, 2014 Mila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is for those who is in in search for yourself
Alvaro
Alvaro marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Tippy
Tippy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Ossi Nyström
Ossi Nyström rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Hasan MN
Hasan MN marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Simonida
Simonida marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Lindsey Scott
Lindsey Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
  • The Herald of Coming Good
  • Our Life with Mr. Gurdjieff
  • The Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library: An Anthology of Ancient Writings Which Relate to Pythagoras and Pythagorean Philosophy
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky
  • The Light of Asia
  • The Drowned Book: Ecstatic and Earthy Reflections of the Father of Rumi
  • Le Mystère des Cathédrales
  • Heaven and Hell
  • The First and Last Freedom
  • Principia Ethica (Philosophical Classics)
  • Zen & the Beat Way
  • Psychosynthesis: A Manual of Principles and Techniques
  • The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
  • الزمان والأزل: مقال في فلسفة الدين
  • Up from Eden: A Transpersonal View of Human Evolution
  • The Future of the Body: Explorations into the Further Evolution of Human Nature
  • The Natural History of Religion