Start by marking “Halcon y la joya, El: Hawk and the Jewel, The (Romance:)” as Want to Read:
Halcon y la joya, El: Hawk and the Jewel, The (Romance:)

Halcon y la joya, El: Hawk and the Jewel, The (Kensington Chronicles #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  5,313 ratings  ·  116 reviews
De la serie de ficcion "Cronicas de Kensington," una novela que capta la aventura, riqueza y romance del Imperio Britanico a mediados del siglo XIX. From the "Kensington Chronicles" series of fiction that captures adventure and romance.]
Published January 24th 1996 by Editorial Portavoz (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Halcon y la joya, El, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halcon y la joya, El

MAP
For a quick rundown on my opinion of this book, here were my updates while reading it:
1)"Nothing says "wallpaper historical" like setting your novel in 1844 and then having your characters talk about gender equality."
2)"Ermigerd nothing has happened for a hundred pages! Come ON, DO something, please! Bored bored bored."
3)"You know, it's really telling when your main thought while reading a book is, 'The BIBLE is less preachy than this.'"

For the long version, read here:
This is the second Lori Wi
Alexandra
The thing I really loved about this story is that Sunny was flawed... Wick has a tendency of creating flat, idealized, and one-sided characters, but such is not the case with Brandon and Sunny. The only thing I did not like was the fact that she did little or no research on the Victorian era. It is described as being almost like a fantasy, with women being swept off their feet by their lovers. That is not the case... The Victorian era was not exactly a good era for the glorification of women. Th ...more
Jessie
I adore this book. I've read it at least 3 times. As with all my opinions on Lori Wick books, my only two issues with her writing are as follows: 1. Even though I myself am a Christian, I wish her books were LESS Christian. In my opinion, way too much of her books are chewed up by one main character leading another main character to Christ, and I just think that's a little preachy. (2. Her odd language :p like really, how many times can one character say, "Oh Brandon!" before it gets old? :p

But
Dee
I read Lori Wick's English Garden series several years ago from our public library's Bookmobile service. I had students in my high school library request more books like Julie Klassen's and happened to remember Wick's series. I decided to order a couple of them. I'm sure they'll be very popular.

Since it's Spring Break, I also decided to reward myself with some pleasure reading time. So I settled down with THE HAWK AND THE JEWEL one day and finished it last evening. About halfway through the boo
Jennifer Dejager
All she knew was her life in Darhabar, but without Shani knowing what was truly happening her world was radically changing. Shani was from England, but as far as she knew her parents had both died from drowning, and she had been taken in as the emir’s daughter. The emir felt it time to let his daughter go and learn the ways of her true people, so he arranged her to tour an Englishman’s ship. When Shani awoke on the ship she felt a jolt and realized she was no longer on land. The captain, Brandon ...more
Carrie
I almost want to give this 2 stars, but what pushes me to three is that I enjoyed the story. Wick is a mediocre writer, and I was irritated at how perfect all of her characters were (besides the main character). There were times when I rolled my eyes at the language and actions of the characters. I didn't quit the book though, because I had to know the ending.

One of my gripes w the perfection of her characters is that they are Christians. Sunny, the main character, is not a Christian and makes a
Julie Gardner
An old favorite, a silly little historical romance that I love to reread and remember.
Christine
First Christian romance to this atheist: lovely cover and interesting description captivated me. Was it worth it? Well, yes. Writing is dazzlingly clean and I don´t mean lack of sexuality (which can be handled without dirt), I mean literal cleanlines, and albeit Lori Wick is clearly a writer with limited writing skills she does nice job in this story, with good setting and some beautiful imagery rivalling gorgeous title. Just what kind of 19th century name is Sunny? Anyway, it is nice, light rea ...more
Nanci
This the first book I have read by this author. For the first 2/3 of the book I enjoyed it. A little preachy but I was invested. Then it just got a little too much for me. I became a little irritated with the characters and the story. On the whole it was a good story but It fell a bit flat. I enjoy Christian fiction for the most part but I like it better when they are less "preachy"
Darla
(Genre:Christian historical fiction/romance) 2 1/2 stars--I liked it alright, but it wasn't a favorite that I will revisit. The focus of this book is 13 year old Shani who is being raised by a wealthy ruler in India in the 1800s. She is of English heritage, but knows nothing of her past, save that her biological father gave her to her stepfather to raise. Shani is a bit of a handful in her Indian household but she is her stepfather's favorite child and so she gets away with a lot. She has been n ...more
Kristina
Just read this for the fifth or sixth time and will be reading it again:) One of my all time favorites.
taramarie79
Lori Wick is an author like Dee Henderson, who for me, I can re-read and not get tired of. She was a fun discovery - isn't it always that way when you find a new author? The title is cheesy but the characters come to life. I'm not usually a fan of the frontier/pioneer/Victorian era novels. Too many pettycoats. But this one is rather good. She has been writing for a while so I'll be busy looking her up at the libary for awhile.
Kelli
Amazing synopsis. I give the author credit for coming up such a sweeping story. However, the writing is very bland and at times the characters say things that no normal person would say. This author does this with many of her books. Giving her character's voices that are not used in normal speech.

EXAMPLE: (embellished)

"Sunny, are you feeling better?"

"Brandon, I am feeling much better. Thank you for asking."

"OOh Sunny, I am so glad. Don't worry you will love England."

This is my biggest problem
Sianne Morrison
well...you definitely know its a Christian book. Whole sections of quotes and verses and if in doubt just drop to your knees and pray. I was disturbed by the pedophilic tendencies. ...13 year old girl who is loved at first sight by an adult. Underlyong grooming...can't live without you. On the surface all above board but it kinda got stuck in my gullet somehow. I would leave this alone. not the best for several reasons.
Kristen
Dec 08, 2013 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults 18 & up
I won't start this review with a synopsis, since that is available under the book description.

This is my first time reading a book from this author and it was a surprise to me. I honestly didn't think I was going to like it, but I like to give books a fair shot. I loved the story line and the characters. Loved that the characters were flawed and not wimpy. This story was sweet, funny and frustrating all rolled into one. I felt that everything happened very slowly. But I really enjoyed the swee
TrissClaryRoseAnnabethAmerica
What can I say? This was by far one of the best novels I have read since Jane Austen! Here is a book that will fill your heart as a young girls world gets turned upside down. You will be reading and rereading this book while the Jewel falls in love with the one and only Hawk in a mysterious land filled with strange customs and shoes...so go ahead and take the journey of your life and just read this wonderful, unforgettable, inspirational book.
Karen
Read this book as a preteen and now as an adult in my late 20s it is still one of my favorites.
Faith Posten
A lot of humor in this book. Rather an unusual tale told as only Lori Wink can do.
Chelsea
I loved this book! One of my top favorite books!
Renetta Herron
Excellent story! Highly recommend
Angela
Jun 03, 2009 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical Christian Romance
Wow!! The very first Lori Wick novel I ever read. I originaly read it back in high school and have re-read it a few times since. I love the entire Kensington Chronicles series! Sunny is the perfect heroine and Branden is every girl's dream. Set during the British Victorian era and filled with Dukes, Lords, Ladies, nobility, aristocracy, gorgeous gowns, luscious parties and balls, horse rides, and fancy ships. Throw in a little mystery, exciting adventure, Christian romance, tears, and laughter a ...more
Candy
This was a great book. I really enjoyed it!
Leanne Cragun
I could not finish this book. I read it halfway and got really tired of the trite and tireless story. It also bothered me that the story centers around a 13/14 year old girl and a 24 year old man. Does no one else find that a little strange? I have read other books by this author and liked them, but this one was very disappointing. I will not read the others in this series. I may try another series by this author, but if it is anything like this book, I'll give up on her.
Nellie
Captain Brandon Hawkesbury is surprised when the young girl he was supposed to bring home to her family, is forced to leave her home in Darahbar, where she has been since she was a baby. I liked this book. It was full of action, and kept the characters believable. I thought it a bit preachy, but insiteful. The story line was clear, and original.
I will read the next on in the Kensington series.
Not my absolute favorite book, but very worth reading.
Dawn Michelle
Sep 24, 2007 Dawn Michelle rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
As a avid fan of Lori Wick, I have read most of her books. Most I have loved and owned, some I have not liked and have either gotten rid of or have never owned. This is one that I liked, but didn't like the ones that followed in the series and ended up giving it to the Church library.
It is a good story, but not one of her best and I don't remember a whole lot about it. It did introduce me to her writing and for that I will ever be grateful!
Alyssa
I find it hilarious that romance stories that aren't dirty are instead titled "inspirational". This book does include a lot about the main character finding Christianity and is the story of a English girl raised in the palace of Darhabar that is taken home when she's 14 to live with her family she didn't know she had. Interesting book, although the plot was rarely compelling or page-turning action.
Sandie Mixa
I enjoyed this story very much, especially the ending. I would give it a 4.5. Lori Wick's style is sometimes hard for me to stick with when she gives a bit too much detail to their everyday life (like eating and who came in and out of the room etc. and what they're thinking) and a bit too preachy but overall the story was well worth it and I plan to read the next in the series.
Sadi
I love this story. As a young person I would not like to be dragged away from the only home Ive ever known to somewhere new. Brandon Hawkesbury is one of the sweetest guys Ive ever known(if he was real, of course). Sunny and Brandon fall in love after they realize that they dont think of each other as brother and sister at all. They end up getting married and live happily ever after.
Alison Strumbeck
One of my favorite books. A young girl has to leave her home in Arabia to go to England where she is from by heritage. She has to learn to accept her knew home and also deal with the loss of her past home. It happens at an interesting stage of her life, she's not a little girl but she's not a woman either. A lot of topics in this book really hit home with me.
Christian Book Lo...: January: The Hawk and the Jewel 1 1 Dec 24, 2014 09:59AM
  • Silk (Heart of India, #1)
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)
  • The Crown and the Crucible (The Russians, #1)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Fancy Pants (Only in Gooding, #1)
  • The Healer (O'Malley #5)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...
The Princess Sophie's Heart Pretense Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles #2) Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)