Start by marking “Speaking of Siva” as Want to Read:
Speaking of Siva

Speaking of Siva

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Speaking of Siva is a selection of vacanas or free-verse sayings from the Virasaiva religious movement, dedicated to Siva as the supreme god. Written by four major saints, the greatest exponents of this poetic form, between the tenth and twelfth centuries, they are passionate lyrical expressions of the search for an unpredictable and spontaneous spiritual vision of 'now'. ...more
Published March 29th 1973 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about Speaking of Siva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking of Siva

The Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiThe Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish TripathiThe Secret of the Nagas by Amish TripathiShiva by Wolf-Dieter StorlThe Presence of Siva by Stella Kramrisch
Shiva - Siva
6th out of 40 books — 20 voters
Anu by Shabnam VasishtCreating a New Medina by Venkat DhulipalaTrain to Pakistan by Khushwant SinghAnu by Shabnam VasishtWe are like that only by Rama Bijapurkar
Understanding India
82nd out of 84 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

kaśyap
Nov 01, 2014 kaśyap rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is an English translation of some Kannada bhakti poems composed by four saints of the Virasaiva bhakti movement in the 12th century CE. The samplings are from Basavanna, Allama prabhu, Mahadevi akka and Dasimayya.

The Bhakti movement is a monotheistic socio-religious movement that promoted personal faith and devotion. They were opposed to Vedic rituals and caste hierarchy. They emphasised equality of everyone, as opposed to the Vedic religion where women, shudras and outcastes were treated a
Maggie Roessler
AK Ramanujan takes the prose of four medieval Virasaiva saints and translates it into rich haunting modern poetry. Basavanna speaks often of isolation and despair:

Don't make me hear all day
'Whose man, whose man, whose man is this?'
Let me hear, 'This man is mine, mine,
this man is mine.'

Devara Dasimayya was apparently the best missionary. He talks a lot about power and fire:

Till fire joins wind
it cannot take a step.

Do men know
it's like that
with knowing and doing?

Mahadeviyakka wandered nude and l
Lindsay Goto
I wasn't expecting to like this, but the poetry is absolutely gorgeous although sometimes in amusing ways. The poetry is really pretty though, one day when I'm not reading it for school and have more time to appreciate it, I'll go back. In the same way that the Christian Medieval tradition treated Jesus like a lover, Siva is often written to as if he were a lover even going so far as in Mahadeviyakka 88 to say

He bartered my heart,
all of me.

I
Ivan Granger
Jun 02, 2012 Ivan Granger rated it it was amazing
This book became an immediate favorite of mine ever since I picked up a copy of it a couple of years ago. Stunning poems from the Shiva bhakti tradition of India. Basava, Devara Dasimayya, Akka Mahadevi, Allama Prabhu. The commentary in the book, though a little academic, is genuinely insightful. Enthusiastically recommended!

The pot is a God. The winnowing
fan is a God. The stone in the
street is a God. The comb is a
God. The bowstring is also a
God. The bushel is a God and the
spouted cup is a God.

G
PTS Books Club

Composed in Kannada, a Dravidian language of South India, the poems are lyrical expressions of love for the god Siva. These are fascinating medieval Bhakti poems by four Virasaiva saints: Dasimayya, Basavanna, Allamu, and Mahadeviyakka, flourished in the tenth to twelfth centuries.

This is the one of the finest contribution to the general English readers through the translation of this rare works by A.K. (Attipat Krishnaswami) Ramanujan (1929–1993. He wore many hats as a Indian poet, scholar and
Haziq
Sep 23, 2015 Haziq added it
Picked this up on a Goodreads recommendation. A very well-written book with adequate notes, although I skipped Appendix 2 for now. If you're looking for something different and less known within the Indian canon, this is a good short read.
woodshadows
Nov 08, 2012 woodshadows rated it liked it
this is one of those books which im supposed to say i loved and cherish blah blah, but in truth as i was reading it i was pretty bored half the time. partly i dont have a very poetic spirit i think, partly my attention span probably isnt good enough to stay focused enough upon these small poems to really penetrate deeply into their core. the introduction and appendix were also extremely boring and long. for religious poems i think ill stick to ikkyu sojun, there's a raw beauty and wisdom to his ...more
Angela
Mar 06, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This was a fantastic read, and I certainly will try to find more translations by this author, and by these saints. I'm particularly facinated by Basavanna now, as well as Mahadeviyakka! Basavanna speaks more to my own personal feelings toward God. Mahadeviyakka speaks to my feminine desires. My facination with Shiva is growing by the minute!

I think I can make the rest of you facinated if I just post one vacana (from Basavanna):

The crookedness of the serpent
is straight enough for the snake-hole.

T
Bob Hooker
Jun 10, 2015 Bob Hooker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge
Brilliant poetry including an 11th Century Female Sage
Don Hackett
Sep 26, 2015 Don Hackett rated it really liked it
Free verse devotional poetry from a sect in southern India, written in a southern dialect (Kannada?) and translated by an Indian-born English-language poet who taught at the University of Chicago. Four poets ranging, for me, from good to excellent (the last two poets in the book), presenting insight into the devotional life.
Nick
SO GOOD. Poetry from Virasaiva poets aka Lingayats. Probably one of the most rhetorically interesting and revolutionary Bhakti sects. Read if you are interested in South India or Hinduism especially the more subversive and counter-cultural side of it. Ramanujan is also a great scholar on this subject so his introductions and notes and blurbs on each poet are amazing.
Priyank Chauhan
Jan 28, 2014 Priyank Chauhan rated it it was amazing
Mesmerising...
Larissa Shmailo
Jul 30, 2008 Larissa Shmailo rated it it was amazing
This book contains translations by the remarkable A.J. Ramanujan of the vacuna-form poetry of Akka-Mahadevi. This Godiva precursor, by legend, left kingdom, king, and wise men behind to become a homeless wanderer writing devotional poetry to Siva. You can learn everything necessary from her.
Dec 07, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
The poetry translations were beautiful. The introduction to each of the poet-saints, as well as the background information on the overall climate of the time added greatly to its rich portrayal of this particular Saivite movement.
Sachin
Aug 10, 2007 Sachin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: classics-poetry
A superb translation of Kannada Vachankaras. A marvelous feat which demonstrates that Indian medieval poetry is a fabulous thing and that Ramanujan is one the best poet-translators we have.
Yoana
Oct 18, 2015 Yoana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: всички
If poetry were easily ratable, this would probably rate first for me. Divine in every sense of the word. Got the English language version in Berlin yesterday!
John Devlin
May 10, 2007 John Devlin rated it it was ok
Indian philosophy written in various psalmic styles. Kernels of insight and beauty strewn about.
Adam
Feb 17, 2013 Adam added it
O Lord of the meeting rivers cuomo is a joke that has an audience of about 10 people.
Christine
Jun 12, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
I am enjoying this book, over and over again. I'll never be finished with it.
Joseph Nolla
Joseph Nolla marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Arun Menyanbo
Arun Menyanbo marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Anshil Yadav
Anshil Yadav marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Yuki
Yuki marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Seth Holler
Seth Holler marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Burl Horniachek
Burl Horniachek rated it it was amazing
Leela Samson
Leela Samson marked it as to-read
Venkata Ramana
Venkata Ramana marked it as to-read
Yunxiao
Yunxiao marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
  • Gitagovinda of Jayadeva: Love Song of the Dark Lord
  • The Rig Veda
  • Siva: The Erotic Ascetic
  • The Bijak of Kabir
  • Sikhism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Loom of Time: A Selection of His Plays and Poems
  • The Norton Anthology of Modern & Contemporary Poetry, Vol 1: Modern Poetry
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Poems of Arab Andalusia
  • Cold Mountain: One Hundred Poems by the T'Ang Poet Han-Shan
  • Why I Am Not a Hindu: A Sudra Critique of Hindutva Philosophy, Culture and Political Economy
  • Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India
  • Sadhana
  • Tales from the Kathasaritsagara
  • Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations
  • Sources of Japanese Tradition (Volume I)
  • Poems of the Late T'ang
  • The Mystical Poems of Rumi 1: First Selection, Poems 1-200
Ramanujan was an Indian poet, scholar and author, a philologist, folklorist, translator, poet and playwright. His academic research ranged across five languages: Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Sanskrit, and English. He published works on both classical and modern variants of these literature and also argued strongly for giving local, non-standard dialects their due.

He was called "Indo-Anglian harbingers
More about A.K. Ramanujan...

“If a rich son is born to one born penniless, he’ll delight his father’s heart with gold counted in millions; if a warrior son is born to a milk-livered king who doesn’t know which way to face a battle, he’ll console his father with a battlefront sinking and floating in a little sea of blood; so will I console you O lord of the meeting rivers, if you should come and ask me.” 0 likes