Start by marking “The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  14,799 ratings  ·  133 reviews
For more than twenty years, Barefoot Contessa, the acclaimed specialty food store, has been cooking and baking extraordinary dishes for enthusiastic customers in the Hamptons. For many of those years, people have tried to get the exuberant owner, Ina Garten, to share the secrets of her store. Finally, the energy and style that make Barefoot Contessa such a special place ar...more
Published April 6th 1999 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
21st out of 838 books — 844 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
102nd out of 616 books — 299 voters

More lists with this book...

Killer Rabbit
Dishes so tasty that even a lazy person will take the time to make them.
I love good food. But when it comes to actually making it, I'm gonna paraphrase Jane Bennet from Pride and Prejudice: "I wish I cooked more, but there always seems to be so many other things to do." (OK, so she was actually talking about reading, but as an avid reader, I can't relate the that precise sentiment.) So perhaps you might consider giving this cookbook an extra point for inspiring me to make and greatly enjoy a few...more
Jean
I love a simple well-tested cookbook. Preparations had the right amount of details and shortcuts where appropriate. Ina knows how to take care of her home cooks.

Here are the dishes I've tasted and the cookbook club cooks who made them:

Sheela - Lobster Salad in Endive: You can't go wrong with quality lobster. No leftovers with this one.

Molly - Rosemary White Bean Soup: Pureed and delicous. Really an amazing soup and surprisingly right for a summer's evening.

Gretchen - Grilled Tuna Nicoise Platte...more
Holly
The recipes in this book turn out perfectly EVERY time and I've made over half of them. Buy it.
Allison
Aug 08, 2007 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Ina Garten's cookbooks do everything you need. If I didn't have any technique in the kitchen and had to pick a cookbook to last forever (or in this case, a series) it would be hers. Rich, lovely recipes that are very approachable. Beginners can follow along; experts can take some of her suggestions and run with them. I almost always get rave reviews for anything I make from these books and I have made or eaten a large portion of them. It is very hard to find cookbooks that can provide you recipe...more
Holly
Listen, the woman knows her way around the kitchen and she's not afraid of a stick of butter, which I like in a chef.

Paula Deen doesn't skimp on the butter either, but usually whatever she is cooking ends up getting deep fried and then used as a delivery system for some kind of mayonnaise product too -- and I just can't hang with that.

Whereas Ina will definitely butter you up, she at least has the common decency throw on some fresh herbs and add some roasted vegetables so even your cholesterol...more
Anna
I cook 3 meals a day for my family, and I love the Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks. She's got great advice on preparing things ahead of time, how to cook for a larger group, and putting together a complete meal. Her recipes are best for people who are already pretty comfortable in the kitchen, and the baking is less reliable than the savory foods, but every one of her cookbooks is worth having.

Amanda
During a particularly challenging time in my life, I found and fell in love with Ina. Many of her recipes are staples in my cooking repertoire, and I have yet to find a Barefoot Contessa cookbook that I don't thoroughly enjoy. Great for ANY kitchen and cook!!!
Deena
I just got this lovely book for Christmas. It does not have a million recipes like some other cookbooks. But what it does have is a nice collection of classics and favorites, most with excellent illustrations, organized by food type (i.e. main dish, dessert, appetizer). I am not talented in the "food presentation" area (After all, I created the "Paul Potts Pork Roast"), but Ina makes some simple and easy suggestions on making your food look good without sacrificing anything in taste. This would...more
Hazel
I had plans to see Ina Garten speak in Wilmington but had none of her books! I requested and received this for Christmas. It's a lovely cookbook; the recipes are all enticing, simple, and straightforward. Most of all, her personality shines through--she's gracious and down to earth. In all of her recipes, she is very aware of her audience--the home cook and entertainer, not the chef or caterer. I was pleased to see how her philosophy echoes mine--the first time you try a recipe, you follow it EX...more
Laurie Walker
Eveything I have tried from this book is delicious ... smoked salmon tea sandwiches, gazpacho, even roasted carrots ... who knew? Tonight I am making the lime curd tart. I had borrowed this book from the library so many times that my librarian suggested it was time to buy my own copy. Glad I did.
Heather
Again, the recipes aren't new, but they're still good standbys. It is funny, however, when Garten writes that she adds "a touch of cream" to something, and the recipe instructs the cook to use 1 cup of cream.
Bandkh
I love this book. Everything I've made from it has worked. The dishes are accessible if a bit old fashioned, but don't let the "old fashioned" comment put you off. By "old fashioned" I mean comfort food, probably too high in calories to eat every night but delicious none the less. This lady knows her stuff and her recipe writing style is friendly and chatty. As for the recipes themselves, her Cheddar Corn Chowder has warmed us on many a cold night, her Roasted Brussels Sprouts finally convinced...more
Diana
I rarely use this, as much as I like the Barefoot Contessa's recipes. Not a whole lot of inspiring stuff in this one, it seems. I tend to now find her recipes online, because they are generally good.
Valerie
This is my favorite of all the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks. Favorite recipes that I've come back to repeatedly are the kitchen clambake (layers of sautéed leeks, potatoes, kielbasa and various seafood cooked indoors in a pot) and fresh lemonade (1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1/2 - 3/4 cup superfine sugar {to taste}, 1 cup crushed ice and 4 cups water - combine all in a blender).

I love the simplicity of her recipes and the lack of fussiness. I get most of my cookbooks from the library,...more
Nicole
When I first got this cookbook I took it to bed and drooled over the recipes. When I started actually making ina garten recipes, people were tricked into thinking i was a really fabulous cook. So...if she can do it for me, she can transform fresh, healthy (well, except for the butter) whole foods, vegetables and fruits into amazing food. Friends and family are always clammoring for the recipes after trying creations I make out of this book...and i do give the credit all to the barefoot contessa.
Julie H.
As with all of the Ina Garten recipes I've encountered to date, which is quite a few, these are all very straightforward, emphasize fresh foods, and are extremely yummy. After signing this out from my public library, I promptly tabbed a bunch of pages and made six or seven of the recipes. Each was great, and I decided it was officially a "keeper." That is not to say that I wouldn't be returning the library copy; instead, I purchased my own copy just recently.
Gail
A gift I received. Very good photography. Ina Garten shows that one does not need to be classically trained to make exciting, appealing gourmet meals. Gourmet does not mean difficult. Very good book.
Melissa
Absolute go-to, from the day I started cooking in earnest up until now, when I barely have to look at recipes to make a really cool meal. Ina Garten has taught me so much about cooking, picking the right ingredients, and putting together a visually stunning home-cooked meal and table. The grilled lemon chicken salad in this book - yum - I think I could eat once a week and never get tired of it!
Julie M
I love this cookbook and often flip through it just for ideas and the pictures. The Fresh Corn Salad, Parmesan Croutons, Pan-Fried Onion Dip, Sun-Dried Tomato Dip, Lemondade and Outrageous Brownies were incredible. There are also several other recipes on my "to try" list. I just really like Ina and her party attitude. I love to entertain and having the food done before people arrive.
Melissa
I love her recipe books for the simple fruit and veggie recipes and the delicious desserts. I feel like her main dish recipes are not always my taste. I am really picky with what I think a cookbook should look like. I think she got it right. Each recipe has a picture, big fonts, simple and not too much on the page to distract my eyes. She gives great tips and explanations.
Kristen
I love the Barefoot Contessa (Have you ever seen her TV show? She's reminds me of the guy who used to paint on PBS - very mellow and soothing). I'm not the cook (rather the baker) in our house, but I love this cookbook. Her recipes are homey, easy and delicious. Surprise, I love the bread pudding make with croissants. Hoping for another of her cookbooks this Christmas!
Lisa
Jan 17, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
My go to guacamole recipe and summer tomato soup recipe (roasted tomato basil soup - the reason that I have a kitchen garden!!) come from this book. They are absolutely delicious and these two recipes alone are worth the price of this book. You know when you have a recipe so good that you don't even bother ever looking for another? Well that's how it is with these two.
Angie
Oct 22, 2008 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to cook or read about food
The Ina Garten cookbooks feature prominently in the food I make. Almost invariably, her recipes turn out well, are relatively simple, and people seem to like them. The pizza dough from the Barefood Contessa Parties cookbook has become a favorite of my friends and family. The best pizza dough I've ever made. It's basically fool-proof.
Sharon Huether
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook By Ina Garten This is a beautifully illustrated cookbook. The colored pictures have really helped my in food presentation. I continue to make the home made granola receipe, it's very good. I've watched Ina on the cooking channel, so having her cookbook is fun.
Rachel C.
Another great cookbook for hearty, satisfying food. Lots of glossy photos of the dishes, which I appreciate. The instructions are straightforward but Ina manages to imbue them with a considerable amount of her joyful personality. Medium degree of difficulty on the recipes. A pleasure to read and to cook from.
Abby Welker
I love Ina Garten and all of her books and this one is amazing, as can be expected. The only thing I don't like about it is that there are only a few recipes that I'd actually use on a regular basis. You could easily check this out from a library, copy down the few recipes you like and save some money.
Aliza
This was a gift from my Aunt. She knew that as a newly married woman I may be interested in finding ways to make things other than Pasta Roni and steamed rice with stewed tomatoes. I greatly enjoyed the pictures in this cookbook, but many of the recipes were not ones that I would make.
Casey
Somebody commented that Ina's recipes are really hard to follow and that this book is incredibly pretentious. I'm just going to assume that this person doesn't know how to read recipes (maybe they can't read at all) because Ina is amazing and all her books are amazing.
Leigh
Some good recipes, plenty of ideas for entertaining and suggestions for where to purchase quality cooking supplies. Ina will frequently mention supply sources in her books and I can't help but suspect she's compensated for this. If so, she's making a ton of money that way.
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion: The All-Purpose Baking Cookbook
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary...more
More about Ina Garten...
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family Barefoot in Paris Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?