Tales of a Wayside Inn

Tales of a Wayside Inn

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  15 reviews
1872. Probably the best loved of American poets the world over is Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; he is loved for his gift of easy rhyme written with a natural grace and melody centered around themes with universal appeal. Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, Massachusetts, originally known as Howe's Tavern, was the inspiration for Longfellow's widely read book of poems, Tales...more
Published December 28th 2006 by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1863)

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyGreat Expectations by Charles DickensLes Misérables by Victor HugoAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Best Books Of The Decade: 1860s
76th out of 87 books — 82 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories by Washington Irving
Best Books To Read In Autumn
108th out of 332 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Eyebright
Tales of a Wayside Inn is pretty much just a collection of Henry Wadsworth Longfellows' poems, put together in story (or poem, if you want to be technical) format. For the most part I enjoyed it, but for me, the Saga of King Olaf, one of the poems, was a little slow. I couldn't keep up with what was going on.

Anyway, it definately inspired me to read more poetry, although, finding someone else who writes poetry like Longfellow, might be difficult.
Christina
An unexpected pleasure! It's been forty or fifty years, since I last read Longfellow, the most celebrated American poet of his time now much neglected, and at least two decades since I abandoned the rhymed poetry camp for a freestyle poetry preference, so I did not expect to enjoy my long immersion in "the well-made poem" quite so much. Astonishingly, I did, very much so.

Perhaps it's long immersion that makes the difference, but the stories are engaging, as well. This miniature cycle of tales i...more
Gary
Oct 11, 2009 Gary added it
I trying to fill some holes in my reading of American literature. When I was in Boston recently, I visited the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow National Historic Site in Cambridge. This house served as George Washington's headquarters during the siege of Boston (although I am told that there are buildings scattered throughout the region that claim to have served as Washington's HQ). But it is most famous as the residence of Longfellow and his family. Remarkably, the family preserved all of the origina...more
Sugar
I started reading this book in the mid-1990s. My favorite poem at the time was -perhaps the most famous - "Ride of Paul Revere." However, over the years I have re-read it a few times and come to appreciate the other tales. Today, Longfellow seems to be a nearly forgotten name on the whole, and perhaps as cliche as Poe in literary circles. Hopefully, he'll come back in style soon.
Christopher
A modern "Canterbury Tales" fit for American tastes, complete with "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere." Contains also "The Saga of King Olaf," (Theodore Roosevelt's favorite poem) the longest section of the book and the least enjoyable to me. But the book is worth reading if only for "The Spanish Jew's Tale: The Legend of Rabbi Ben Levi."
Matthew
I found some tales to be fantastic and some to be dreadfully boring. This is by no means a criticism of Longfellow's writing, however. My distaste for some of it is merely a result of my personal preference in subject matter. The more mythical tales simply did not particularly interest me.
Jocelyn
Jan 28, 2008 Jocelyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Romantics
Shelves: fiction, poetry
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow takes simple stories and tells them with lyrical and beautiful poetry. It takes a great piece of writing for me to enjoy poetry, but I found this small book wonderful.
Leah
I picked this up when I stayed at the historic Wayside Inn and enjoyed reading about the "stairways worn, and crazy doors, and creaking and uneven floors" while I walked on the same.
Stephanie Ricker
I smuggled this tiny book of Longfellow's poetry (that I found and was saving for just such a time) into my graduation ceremony. It was a very, very long ceremony.
Joy Wells
Reads like Chaucer for Americans. Makes me want to memorize and recite. Make sure you read the last tale, Birds of Killingsworth. Imagine a world without birds.
Patricia
I hope (someday) to make a little stay at the Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Mass., and while there, read Tales of a Wayside Inn by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Courtney Burns
Some really excellent tales (some middling tales as well), but the one on King Olaf nearly did me in. Love his other works better.
Susan Fetterer
Had to read this collection after visiting the inn.......connecting the real place with the literature is a wonderful experience.
Natalie
Everyone should read "Paul Revere's Ride" at least!
Mmmjay
Published in 1890
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Aileen
Aileen marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Katie Brady
Katie Brady marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Meriel
Meriel marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof...more
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...
The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere The Song of Hiawatha Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie Favorite Poems Poems and Other Writings (Library of America #118)