Start by marking “Tales of a Wayside Inn” as Want to Read:
Tales of a Wayside Inn

Tales of a Wayside Inn

1872. Probably the best loved of American poets the world over is Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; he is loved for his gift of easy rhyme written with a natural grace and melody centered around themes with universal appeal. Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, Massachusetts, originally known as Howe's Tavern, was the inspiration for Longfellow's widely read book of poems, Tales ...more
Published December 28th 2006 by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of a Wayside Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of a Wayside Inn

Eyebright
Dec 04, 2007 Eyebright rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-books
Tales of a Wayside Inn is pretty much just a collection of Henry Wadsworth Longfellows' poems, put together in story (or poem, if you want to be technical) format. For the most part I enjoyed it, but for me, the Saga of King Olaf, one of the poems, was a little slow. I couldn't keep up with what was going on.

Anyway, it definately inspired me to read more poetry, although, finding someone else who writes poetry like Longfellow, might be difficult.
Christina
Dec 18, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unexpected pleasure! It's been forty or fifty years, since I last read Longfellow, the most celebrated American poet of his time now much neglected, and at least two decades since I abandoned the rhymed poetry camp for a freestyle poetry preference, so I did not expect to enjoy my long immersion in "the well-made poem" quite so much. Astonishingly, I did -- very much so.

Perhaps it's long immersion that makes the difference, but the stories are engaging, as well. This miniature cycle of tales
Jessica
Dec 28, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I'm not normally big on poetry but I absolutely loved this! Between the eloquent rhyming and the imagery, Longfellow breathed life into each tale and the tellers of those tales. Highly recommended for poetry lovers and novices alike!
Stephanie Ricker
May 16, 2009 Stephanie Ricker rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, poetry
I smuggled this tiny book of Longfellow's poetry (that I found and was saving for just such a time) into my graduation ceremony. It was a very, very long ceremony.
Gary
Oct 10, 2009 Gary added it
I trying to fill some holes in my reading of American literature. When I was in Boston recently, I visited the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow National Historic Site in Cambridge. This house served as George Washington's headquarters during the siege of Boston (although I am told that there are buildings scattered throughout the region that claim to have served as Washington's HQ). But it is most famous as the residence of Longfellow and his family. Remarkably, the family preserved all of the origina ...more
Tom Lowe
Oct 20, 2016 Tom Lowe rated it really liked it
Similar to The Canterbury Tales in its setting and style, Tales of a Wayside Inn by Longfellow is a cool little book. A group of travelers and bar patrons take turns and tell their favorite tales. My favorite was the charming Student's Tale, that had an ironic twist, while the Musician's Tale was a bit too long and tedious. Overall, the group of various tales was a real treat. Longfellow is entertaining, and his writing style is so smooth and pleasant, like taking a long, easy walk through a bir ...more
WT Sharpe
Apr 28, 2015 WT Sharpe rated it really liked it
Although the description of this book says that "Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, Massachusetts, originally known as Howe's Tavern, , was the inspiration for Longfellow's widely read book of poems", I this it more accurate to say that Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales was the inspiration and that the Wayside Inn was his backdrop. Interest, and worth more than one encounter. Read as an audiobook.
Lisa Glickstein
Jan 08, 2016 Lisa Glickstein rated it it was amazing
You will recognize the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, but there are many lesser-known gems in this volume. The setting and the characters who meet at the Inn (a real place in Massachusetts) are vividly drawn and compelling on their own. Some of the language can be a bit of a slog, and there are a couple of disturbing or melancholy tales if you are sensitive, but the Inn is well worth a visit.
Sugar
Mar 23, 2012 Sugar rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book in the mid-1990s. My favorite poem at the time was -perhaps the most famous - "Ride of Paul Revere." However, over the years I have re-read it a few times and come to appreciate the other tales. Today, Longfellow seems to be a nearly forgotten name on the whole, and perhaps as cliche as Poe in literary circles. Hopefully, he'll come back in style soon.
Christopher
Feb 09, 2013 Christopher rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-art
A modern "Canterbury Tales" fit for American tastes, complete with "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere." Contains also "The Saga of King Olaf," (Theodore Roosevelt's favorite poem) the longest section of the book and the least enjoyable to me. But the book is worth reading if only for "The Spanish Jew's Tale: The Legend of Rabbi Ben Levi."
Lexi (Pink Jellyfish)
Feb 14, 2015 Lexi (Pink Jellyfish) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
"I have you fast in my fortress,
And will not let you depart,
But put you down into the dungeon
In the round-tower of my heart.

And there will I keep you forever,
Yes, forever and a day,
Till the walls shall crumble to ruin,
And moulder in dust away!"
Matthew
Jun 08, 2010 Matthew rated it liked it
I found some tales to be fantastic and some to be dreadfully boring. This is by no means a criticism of Longfellow's writing, however. My distaste for some of it is merely a result of my personal preference in subject matter. The more mythical tales simply did not particularly interest me.
Longfat
Oct 19, 2016 Longfat is currently reading it
sheldon Overlock
Beautiful

Such a excellent piece. Longfellow is a masterful writer, and this edition does nothing to take away from that. Please read
Susan Fetterer
Aug 12, 2011 Susan Fetterer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this collection after visiting the inn.......connecting the real place with the literature is a wonderful experience.
Mmmjay
Apr 01, 2011 Mmmjay rated it it was amazing
Published in 1890
Courtney Burns
Mar 11, 2010 Courtney Burns rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2010
Some really excellent tales (some middling tales as well), but the one on King Olaf nearly did me in. Love his other works better.
Patricia
I hope (someday) to make a little stay at the Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Mass., and while there, read Tales of a Wayside Inn by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Joy Wells
Jan 25, 2013 Joy Wells rated it it was amazing
Reads like Chaucer for Americans. Makes me want to memorize and recite. Make sure you read the last tale, Birds of Killingsworth. Imagine a world without birds.
Leah
Jun 26, 2008 Leah rated it liked it
I picked this up when I stayed at the historic Wayside Inn and enjoyed reading about the "stairways worn, and crazy doors, and creaking and uneven floors" while I walked on the same.
William C. Kaufman
William C. Kaufman rated it it was ok
May 27, 2016
Cupton
Cupton rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2008
Brooke Condon
Brooke Condon rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Robley Ray
Robley Ray rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2017
M0rfeus
M0rfeus rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Alia Makki
Alia Makki rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Great Weaver from Kashmir
  • Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi Script
  • Creating Poetry
  • Bearheart: The Heirship Chronicles
  • The Early Poems of Alfred Lord Tennyson
  • Selected Poems
  • Collected Prose: Autobiographical Writings, True Stories, Critical Essays, Prefaces, and Collaborations with Artists
  • The Book of American Negro Poetry
  • Complete Poems Of Robert Frost, 1949
  • Arc d'X
  • The Batman Handbook
  • The Archivist's Story
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow was an American poet whose works include "Paul Revere's Ride", The Song of Hiawatha, and "Evangeline". He was also the first American to translate Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy and was one of the five members of the group known as the Fireside Poets.

Longfellow was born in Portland, Maine and studied at Bowdoin College. After spending time in Europe he became a prof
More about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow...

“Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.”
57 likes