Start by marking “Florida Poems” as Want to Read:
Florida Poems

Florida Poems

Part fable, part diatribe, part elegy, part love song, this extraordinary fifth collection by Campbell McGrath makes poetry of the most unlikely of materials -- his home state of Florida. While at times poignantly personal, McGrath also returns for the first time to the characteristically comic and visionary public voice displayed in the renowned "Bob Hope Poem." Moving ...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Ecco (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Florida Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Florida Poems

Craig Pittman
Apr 14, 2015 Craig Pittman rated it really liked it
I'm not big on poetry -- Seamus Heaney and "The Spoon River Anthology" and Poe's "The Raven" are about all I like. But I'm glad to add this book to my shelf. McGrath (winner of one of the MacArthur "genius" grants) has penned a collection here that ranges from fanciful to furious, with several stops for laugh lines.

For instance, at one point he describes Chuck E. Cheese as "the bewhiskered Mephistopheles of ring toss,/the diabolical vampire of our transcendent ideals." He also says Orlando has
Mistie
Jul 15, 2008 Mistie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mistie by: Amy
Maybe it's just that I love anything about Florida, but I absolutely loved this poetry.
Jonathan Tennis
Jul 09, 2016 Jonathan Tennis rated it liked it
I believe this is the 3rd collection of McGrath poetry that I have read. While I did not enjoy this collection as much as his others, I love the subject of this book. I am a Floridian and I love this weird and often newsworthy wackiness that makes up this state. Some of my favorites from this book were:

The Orange on p. 32-33
Because This Is Florida on p. 35
Seashells, Manasota Key on p. 54-55
Florida on p. 74-75
And of course The Florida Poem starting on p. 79

Celeste
Jun 08, 2010 Celeste rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Some good moments in the beginning of the first section where McGrath tells the fable of a Florida-like city in the clouds. The second section contains more traditional Florida-themed poems. I especially liked "The Orange," "Mile Marker 73," and "The Manatee." Overall, nothing terribly fabulous, nothing incredibly offensive.
Gerry LaFemina
Dec 22, 2013 Gerry LaFemina rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Not McGrath's best book--it's ambitious, original (including a sci-fi-like allegorical sequence of poems about a city in the clouds to open the book, and a long poem chronicling the history of Florida at the end), but also erratic. Funny and irreverent, McGrath is a fine poet with a deeply original vision and voice.
Julie
Jan 04, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
There's some fantastic stuff in here. Read "The Manatee" for a powerful jab. I really appreciate a lot of the images, while others left me a little dissatisfied. Overall, I love the book! I had the privilege of meeting Campbell McGrath before he gave a reading and he's a very funny, nice guy.
Ann
Mar 06, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Lovely, cruel, hilarious, mysterious visions of Florida past-present-future contained herein. This collection will resonate with me for sometime. The last, long poem must be read out loud -- well, all of the poems deserve a sounding out, even if it's just you and the dog.
Allen
Aug 25, 2008 Allen rated it liked it
I was prepared to dislike this book as I'm not a huge McGrath fan but these poems take on a more regional and accessible tact than his other hipness.
Emily
Oct 27, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
McGrath's poetry is eloquent description and fervent hope mercilessly coupled with bitter, wry anticapitalist rage.
Dante Lombardo
Dante Lombardo rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Ileana Oroza
Ileana Oroza rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Jay Nicorvo
Jay Nicorvo rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Doug Hart
Doug Hart rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Jay Nicorvo
Jay Nicorvo rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Mikaela Renz-Whitmore
Mikaela Renz-Whitmore rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2010
Maddi May
Maddi May rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Jenipher
Jenipher rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2008
Zach
Aug 12, 2008 Zach rated it liked it
Just fine.
Lourdes Vazquez
Lourdes Vazquez rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Elsa
Elsa rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2008
Beth Anne
Beth Anne rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2009
Maria
Maria rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
WP Hughes
WP Hughes rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
W. M.
W. M. rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2008
Gary McDowell
Aug 10, 2007 Gary McDowell rated it liked it
Shelves: ho-hum
Just didn't get into this one like I did Road Atlas. It was okay though.
Zmollman
Zmollman rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Derrick
Derrick rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2012
John Ermer
John Ermer rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Campbell McGrath (born 1962) is a modern American poet. He is the author of nine full-length collections of poetry, including his most recent, Seven Notebooks (Ecco Press, 2008), Shannon: A Poem of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (Ecco Press, 2009), and In the Kingdom of the Sea Monkeys (Ecco Press, forthcoming, 2012).
Contents

1 Life
2 Music
3 Awards
4 Works
5 Bibliography
6 References
7 External l
More about Campbell McGrath...