Start by marking “Everywhere Babies” as Want to Read:
Everywhere Babies

Everywhere Babies

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  634 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Every day, everywhere, babies are born. They're kissed and dressed and rocked and fed--and completely adored by the families who love them. With an irresistible rhyming text and delightfully endearing illustrations, here is an exuberant celebration of playing, sleeping, crawling, and of course, very noisy babies doing all the wonderful things babies do best.
Published April 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Everywhere Babies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everywhere Babies

Kathryn
An adorable book that just makes me feel happy and long to hear a baby giggle :-) Meyers uses few words in a lyrical fashion to portray lots of things that babies "everywhere" do. The illustrations by Marla Frazee are a pure delight--I am really a fan of her work after having read and loved All the World and the same warmth, humor and attention to detail are present here.

The only "downside" to this book, IMO, is that the "everywhere" seems to only include industrialized nations both in terms of
Amber Delaine
We love this book! I'm all about teaching diversity and this book has it! The illustrations are detailed and incredibly beautiful, so it makes a fun seek-and-find game with littler kids as well.

Everywhere Babies shows diversity in babies and how they are cared for and loved by their families. There are babies in slings, cribs, cradles, carriers, backpacks, arms, car seats and bucket carriers. There are babies being breastfed and babies fed with bottles and baby food.

Even the families are divers
Tatiana
Marla Frazee is hands-down one of my favorite children's book illustrators, and she does not disappoint in Susan Meyers' Everywhere Babies. Frazee shows different ethnicity and lifestyles, like a mosaic. I can never get over how authentic the people look and how real the world is around them. Love it.
Bambini Travel
If you are looking for a book about babies look no further than EVERYWHERE BABIES. Susan Meyers perfectly captures the universality of baby-hood, while embracing unique differences. It is a balancing act for sure, but she handles it with rhythm and grace. "Every day, everywhere, babies are born - fat babies, thin babies, small babies, tall babies, winter and spring babies, summer and fall babies." She follows them as they are loved, dressed, fed, and gradually explore their world. Her beautiful ...more
Candice
Jan 15, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
This is a keeper! It goes through a baby's first year beginning at "every day, everywhere, babies are born." The illustrations are lovely. They show babies of many races. Every day, everywhere they are playing, eating (one is being breast fed), being kissed, carried, and cuddled. Each page shows several babies along with parents, siblings and friends. The two women may be a lesbian couple, or they may be friends; similarly the two men. It's up to the parent to explain the picture the way he or s ...more
Laura Scudiere
I love how this book features all kinds of families, not just man/woman parents, and not just white people. The pages are nice and big and can take some punishment. My son prefers to have this read to him no less than once a day
Jim Erekson
I liked this, because Frazee paid so much attention to making each of the babies stand out as unique--which is the story line. But it was missing the powerful backgrounds I loved in Boot & Shoe and A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever. It looks like her work is coming out in a boxed set where she will be paired with Helen Oxenbury--that's good company for babies!
Chelsee
My son LOVED this book. Nice rhyming, good vocab builder, and cute illustrations.
Amy Musser
“Everyday, everywhere, babies are born ~”

So begins this celebration of babies of all shapes, sizes, and dispositions. Each two page spread features a different action or trait shared by babies all over the world. Sleeping, playing, eating, making friends, and growing. The book begins with the birth and ends with the babies learning to crawl and walk. The final pages show a baby’s first birthday and a very messy baby eating birthday cake.

The text and the illustrations are beautifully interwoven.
Angie
This is a great book! I read it all the time on home visits. It has beautiful pictures that depict real diversity in families and babies doing a variety of activities that babies and their families do. It is written in sing song rhyme, which babies (and toddlers) love. My complaints: lots of depictions of babies in contraptions (including one where the baby is seemingly alone in their car seat in the car..yikes!) as an early childhood educator I would much rather see depictions of babies in arms ...more
Kat
This book is wonderful.

There's not so much a story as a sentiment. It's basically a celebration of babies and families and love. It surprised me with just how much it could make me smile. A lovely story to share with a child you love. It will become one of my default baby shower gift books from now on.

What I love so much about this book is the illustrations. The words are about babies being born, kissed, dressed, fed, making noise, making friends, etc. But the illustrations are about smiles an
Destiny Dawn Long
With beautiful illustrations, which depict babies and families of diverse backgrounds and compositions, this charming concept book about babies tells of all the things that babies do. The dominant message is that every day, around the world, babies are born who are loved for being who they are. While children tend to look forward to getting older, this book offers validation and shows just how much they could do even as babies.

Anyone who loves babies will be able to enjoy this book. One of the
Amanda
This book can be read rapid fire - stick to the main phrase on the page if you have a quick page turning kid - or in depth - give all the examples of who babies make friends with. "everywhere, everyday babies make friends..." There are a few pages with big pictures and a number with six or eight small pictues. This book has been in our back seat and my daughter checks on her babies on our way to school (daycare).

This book also includes images of all sorts of family groups - a variety of races a
Erica Nicol
My toddler is going through a phase of being fascinated with babies, with the idea of being a baby and with the idea of growing out of babyhood (sniff). I pulled this off the shelf as we were wrapping up our weekend visit to our local public library, barely looking at it, and am glad I did. It's perfect for little kids who are into babies. The rhyming text is fun and engaging, and the illustrations are full of details to surprise and delight young readers (and adults).

Marla Frazee continues to r
Scottiedog
Excellent! My child adores this book and I love the simple story and the diversity presented in the wonderfully rendered drawings -- families of all types all loving their babies. This is one of my favorites, too!
jacky
I really like this book. It is great as a board book for kids curious about babies, and it is also a nice place to start for getting a first born ready for the arrival of a sibling, especailly if the child has no experience with younger babies. The pictures are a bit small, but still very nice. Each page spread shows babies doing a variety of things such as eating, playing, and being carried. Close to the end of the book, it shows how babies grow and crawl and walk. Its simple and sweet, without ...more
Tawnie
Each page of this simple board book starts with the phrase “everyday, everywhere babies are…” then the reader is introduced to a multitude of things that babies do, from eating to sleeping. The realistic and very detailed pencil and watercolor illustrations add to the simple rhymes that explain what the babies are up to by either using a full page spread or a series of simple vignettes. The rhymes themselves are well done and add a nice rhythm to the book. The illustrations neatly capture the wi ...more
NayDoubleU
it was very adorable. the drawings were perfect. my five year old niece says she liked the babies in the book
Jessica
Jun 27, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Some of the text I find could be changed and I do change it when I read it. BUT, the illustrations are fabulous and Ava adores this book. The book talks all about babies and what they do, eat, play with, wear, how they get from here to there and so on. There is a part in the book where they talk about thin babies and fat babies, tall and short babies....I always change fat to chubby. There is also a part where it talks about friends and relations playing with babies...we change relations to fami ...more
Emmy
Everywhere Babies indeed! With colorful illustrations full of babies on every page, this book would be an excellent read for older siblings who are trying to grasp what life will be like with a new baby in the house. It shows babies sleeping, playing, being rocked, growing, crawling, walking and more. The most valuable aspect of Everywhere Babies is that the illustrations mirror our diverse society. There are babies of all races, relatives of all ages, gay and lesbian couples, breast-fed babies ...more
Angela Chadbourne
Sweet book about babies reminds me of Mem Fox's 10 little fingers.
Adriana Simmons
Didn't enjoy, but the four year old I was reading to seemed to.
Camille
A non-story that has pictures depicting and some words to describe what happens to babies "every day, everywhere."
This book is too long and illustrations too detailed for a storytime or circle time. I also would recommend it in board book form so that little hands can turn the pages for themselves and not damage the book. It is perfect for a lapsit where you can cuddle with a little baby or toddler so you or the little one can point out the scenes and describe the pictures and/or act out the mai
Dominic
Of all the board books and children's stories we read to our now 4 month old son, this one is our favorite. Its large, generous view of the special time of celebration that is being born and growing up during the first year every day affirms the joy I feel to have Jude in my life. The prose uplifts, and the drawings of so many types of babies and families are fantastic.

This is such a special book, and the hundreds of times we read this book (at least once a day) is proof of its longevity.
Jacqui Robbins
What a lovely book. The rhyme is simple and sweet, but the illustrations are really what shine; they're full of detail, humor, and love. I love the families, multicultural and diverse and all with exhausted and enraptured parents and grandparents. My own toddler is obsessed with the book: "We read babies book again?" and we pore over it for thirty minutes at a time while he remarks: "My bigger dat baby" and "Dat baby hab diaper!" This is my new baby gift for all.
Annalise
I like when Mommy reads this book. Some of the words are hard, but it is a good book that is supported with pictures.
Rebecca
Perhaps my favorite children's picture book. The cadence of the text is sweetly lulling. The illustrations are perfection. And when I found out this book is commonly challenged in public and school libraries (it portrays all kinds of loving families--what a scandal!) I made it my mission to give it as a gift at every opportunity. A beautiful book, and a wonderful gift for a child's first birthday.
Becca
This book is very sentimental in our family. We used it as a gift to our children over the holidays to help announce our new baby-on-the-way. Illustrator Marla Frazee has a Rockwell touch to her artwork, in that her depictions of people and their many emotions are pleasantly accurate. Combined with Meyers' simple, rhyming text, this book is a welcome addition to our home library.
Goodreads Librari...: Title is in all caps for some reason? 3 55 Dec 07, 2013 12:36AM
  • Global Babies
  • Little Pookie
  • Please, Baby, Please
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Molly's Family
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • All the Things I Love About You
  • The Family Book
  • BooBoo
  • Lola Loves Stories
  • King and King
  • Heather Has Two Mommies
Susan Meyers is the author of the poetry collection Keep and Give Away (University of South Carolina Press, 2006), selected by Terrance Hayes for the SC Poetry Book Prize. It also won the 2007 Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance (SIBA) Book Award for Poetry and the NC Poetry Society's Brockman-Campbell Book Award."
More about Susan Meyers...
Bear in the Air Kittens! Kittens! Kittens! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Rock-a-Bye Room This is the Way a Baby Rides