Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)

Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family & Friends #4)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  795 ratings  ·  33 reviews
National bestselling author Liz Carlyle concludes her scandalous new trilogy with a sensuous novel of two star-crossed souls who share a secret or two . . . or three.

Once upon a time, they eloped. But then dashing Scotsman Merrick MacLachlan accepted payment from Lady Madeleine's father to have the marriage annulled. Or did he?

Two times, Maddie has wed. Once for love,

Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Pocket Star (first published March 21st 2006)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
4.5 Stars

This is definately my favourite in the Sins, Lies & Secrets trilogy, although the other two were good, espcially One Little Sin, I have been most drawn to Merrick MacLachlan from the beginning and looked forward to finding out about his secrets and past.

This was basically a book about a massive misunderstanding that has kept the two lovers apart from 13 years. I don't normally like books that are based on such things, but I found myself really enjoying reading this and sympathy on b...more
Joy
The third in a trilogy and not as good as the previous two. The overall aura of the story was really gloomy, characters didn't develop and the hero was really bitter.
Ilze
Wonderful story. The plot has certain similarities with 2 of Mary Balogh's stories - her early novel "A Chance Encounter" and a more recent novella called "Spellbound" (published in 2008 in "It Happened One Night") which is one of my all-time favourites of hers. The premise of all these stories is a very young couple falling madly in love and eloping to Scotland to get married because the girl's family is dead set against the marriage. The girl's father finds out and follows them to Scotland, ha...more
Ladiibbug
#3 in "One, Two, Three" historical romance trilogy

In One Little Sin, three wealthy & titled bad boys have their fortunes told my a gypsy fortune teller. They scoff at her prediction that their reckless, careless past behavior is about to catch up to each of them and call them to account.

In Three Little Secrets, dashing Scotsman and architect Merrick MacLachlan comes face to face with the woman he eloped with 13 years earlier ... and hasn't seen in 13 years.

Liz Carlyle is so talented with wea...more
Judith
When Lady Madeleine Bessett purchases a new home just outside London, she doesn't expect the wealthy developer to turn out to be her husband, Merrick MacLachlan. Thirteen years ago Madeleine eloped with Merrick, but Merrick disappeared during their honeymoon. Told that their marriage had been annulled, a desperate Madeleine married again, but this time not for love. Now, the recently widowed Madeleine has moved to London seeking help for her troubled son, Geoffrey, but she isn't sure that she ca...more
Vanessa
I have never read this author before, and I guess I read the series out of order. But I owned this book and decided to give it a go. I was surprised at how good it was. I guess I've gotten spoiled with Amanda Quick books.

It was a little long, and perhaps a little could have been cut, but not much. It flowed very nicely and I liked the story. I also liked the characters.

I would definitely recommend this book to historical romance lovers. A small bit of this book takes place in Scotland and the...more
Virginia
20 pages in, I kept thinking to myself, why does this seem so familiar? Turns out, the plot was predictable because I've read it before. ^_^ On the inadvertent re-read, the writing flaws are a little more apparent, but Carlyle is still an alright romance novelist. (After all, this genre can be much, much worse.) I'll still read more of her work because her writing doesn't make me want to throw the book across the room. :)
Keri
This was my favorite of the secrets trilogy. The book was mature and had a wonderful flow. Maddie and Merrick's romance felt good when they finally came to terms with it. If I had a niggle, I just wish we would have got a little more ending...it felt rushed.
Sandra
Loved this book by Liz Carlyle! She created a hero, who is both strong and vulnerable. Her heroine strives for independence in an age when women were considered weak. The hate/love emotions between them run deep.
Crystal
The story seemed to drag. In fact, I skipped through alot of it, and still was able to keep up with the story.
Kay Bolton
Review taken from my Blog Post (#47) in December 2010 after borrowing the book from my local library.

Whilst this is really a story of all things mis-placed: love; pride; trust in a parent. Eventually, it just proves that love will win through and can overcome the enormous hurdles put in its way by the things that were mis-placed.

This engaging and intriguing story by one of my favourite authors, Liz Carylyle, engaged me all the way through.

The story of Merrick MacLachlan and Lady Meredith Bessett...more
Tasneem
I think Liz Carlyle is a fabulous writer and this story was really entertaining. I cried at their sorrow, I rejoiced at their coming together. Merrick was one of the darkest souls I met in book one, seeing him finally reunite with Maddie was lovely. They both had been through so much. It just annoyed me that an error at the start of the book had the maid called Eliza. Thus I went through the book expecting her present maid Eliza to be the villain when it was just a mistake and the name should ha...more
Melodie
I like the premise of this book and thought that it was pretty original. I enjoyed reading the book and absolutely adored Merrick. I liked Madelaine well enough until she ask Merrick to keep the truth about his relationship with Geoff a secret. In my opinion, she has no right to demand that of him and it's a wonder that Merrick complied with her demand. Even though they both had suffered from her father's deceit, it is Merrick who bear the physical evidence of it and to whom I sympathize most wi...more
jackie frye
At 17 Madeleine and Merrick eloped. The morning after their Gretna Green married Merrick was almost beaten to death and told Madeleine had changed her mind about the marriage by Madeleine’s farther. Madeleine was told Merrick had accepted thirty thousand pounds to have the marriage annulled. Both were hurt and bitter.

Thirteen years later they met again; Madeleine is a widow with a troubled twelve year old son and Merrick is a cold, heartless business man. While trying to find help of Geffory (th...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Geez! Stayed up all night reading this one!

The writing was great & it kept me up all night because I was waiting and waiting for Merrick to figure it out. I really really didn't like Maddie's excuses. They just seemed petty.

This was my intro to Liz Carlyle book, and I think I may read more. Not this series though if they are all back and forth like this one was. It drug out way too long in some areas.

Maybe it's me & I'm just mad I stayed up all night for this! I was trying to get a bad...more
Heather
candy floss. different than the usual bodice ripper though.
Modesty_b
It's dragging...
Dpic
Feb 05, 2014 Dpic added it
nice story
Trewen

3 1/2 stars

I liked this mostly for Liz Carlyle's writing style.
She's always been one of my favorites.

But, this book and trilogy, didn't do it for me.

I didn't find much to like about either H or h and they fought and bickered the entire book.

The ending, when they finally come together was sweet but too short and very rushed
Andrea Jackson
Their reconciliation was a little contrived but I enjoyed the book nonetheless.
Kindaangelic
Loved this series...I think this book was the hottest tho! I will continue to read Ms Carlyle's books....she has great characters and I love her style of writing.
Sonja
Loved Merrick! But then, I always like the dark, grouchy heroes. Great story, with lots of drama, and one of the sweetest endings I've read in a long time.
Dangermousie
I loved the prologue to bits, but the rest of the book was rather blah - I just wanted the hero and heroine to stop wallowing and have an honest conversation.
Mitzi
I rate this a C. This was my least favorite of the 3 in this series. To much grief. I think I simply prefer novels without all the lies???
Olivia Gould
I loved the Romance but found that the boy having a gift like that was a little too much for the book.
Alleyne
Sep 04, 2008 Alleyne rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: regency historical readers
Shelves: regency-romance
This book was passionate and full of tension. A lovely read.
S
Yes, secret baby! The Sight! Fun lines! Fun, fun read.
Angela
This one had a little more meat to it. I liked it.
Maryqsomebody
Totally 100% agree with Madame X's review.
Frances Fuller
This author always delivers. Yummy book.
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • The Sinful Nights of a Nobleman (Boscastle, #5)
  • Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)
  • The Marriage Wager (The Matchmakers #1)
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, Anthology 1)
  • Sins of a Duke (Griffin Family, #4)
  • The Prince of Pleasure (Notorious, #5)
  • The Wedding Game (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #3)
  • The Prince Kidnaps a Bride (Lost Princesses, #3)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • Lady Be Bad (Merry Widows, #3)
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca...more
More about Liz Carlyle...
The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3) Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1) Tempted All Night (Neville Family #4) Never Deceive a Duke (Neville Family, #2) Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)