Start by marking “Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)” as Want to Read:
Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)

Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family & Friends #4)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,124 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
National bestselling author Liz Carlyle concludes her scandalous new trilogy with a sensuous novel of two star-crossed souls who share a secret or two . . . or three.

Once upon a time, they eloped. But then dashing Scotsman Merrick MacLachlan accepted payment from Lady Madeleine's father to have the marriage annulled. Or did he?

Two times, Maddie has wed. Once for love, on
Published April 1st 2006 by Pocket Star (first published March 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Three Little Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Little Secrets

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
4.5 Stars

This is definately my favourite in the Sins, Lies & Secrets trilogy, although the other two were good, espcially One Little Sin, I have been most drawn to Merrick MacLachlan from the beginning and looked forward to finding out about his secrets and past.

This was basically a book about a massive misunderstanding that has kept the two lovers apart from 13 years. I don't normally like books that are based on such things, but I found myself really enjoying reading this and sympathy on b
Joy
Sep 11, 2009 Joy rated it it was ok
The third in a trilogy and not as good as the previous two. The overall aura of the story was really gloomy, characters didn't develop and the hero was really bitter.
Ilze
Jun 12, 2012 Ilze rated it it was amazing
Shelves: liz-carlyle
Wonderful story. The plot has certain similarities with 2 of Mary Balogh's stories - her early novel "A Chance Encounter" and a more recent novella called "Spellbound" (published in 2008 in "It Happened One Night") which is one of my all-time favourites of hers. The premise of all these stories is a very young couple falling madly in love and eloping to Scotland to get married because the girl's family is dead set against the marriage. The girl's father finds out and follows them to Scotland, ha ...more
Ladiibbug
Sep 21, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
#3 in "One, Two, Three" historical romance trilogy

In One Little Sin, three wealthy & titled bad boys have their fortunes told my a gypsy fortune teller. They scoff at her prediction that their reckless, careless past behavior is about to catch up to each of them and call them to account.

In Three Little Secrets, dashing Scotsman and architect Merrick MacLachlan comes face to face with the woman he eloped with 13 years earlier ... and hasn't seen in 13 years.

Liz Carlyle is so talented with wea
Judith
Jun 12, 2010 Judith rated it liked it
When Lady Madeleine Bessett purchases a new home just outside London, she doesn't expect the wealthy developer to turn out to be her husband, Merrick MacLachlan. Thirteen years ago Madeleine eloped with Merrick, but Merrick disappeared during their honeymoon. Told that their marriage had been annulled, a desperate Madeleine married again, but this time not for love. Now, the recently widowed Madeleine has moved to London seeking help for her troubled son, Geoffrey, but she isn't sure that she ca ...more
Vanessa
Oct 16, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it
I have never read this author before, and I guess I read the series out of order. But I owned this book and decided to give it a go. I was surprised at how good it was. I guess I've gotten spoiled with Amanda Quick books.

It was a little long, and perhaps a little could have been cut, but not much. It flowed very nicely and I liked the story. I also liked the characters.

I would definitely recommend this book to historical romance lovers. A small bit of this book takes place in Scotland and the
Sandra
Dec 17, 2008 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Loved this book by Liz Carlyle! She created a hero, who is both strong and vulnerable. Her heroine strives for independence in an age when women were considered weak. The hate/love emotions between them run deep.
Keri
Aug 08, 2010 Keri rated it really liked it
This was my favorite of the secrets trilogy. The book was mature and had a wonderful flow. Maddie and Merrick's romance felt good when they finally came to terms with it. If I had a niggle, I just wish we would have got a little more ending...it felt rushed.
Crystal
Aug 27, 2016 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2010
The story seemed to drag. In fact, I skipped through a lot of it, and still was able to keep up with the story.
Tasneem
Oct 22, 2011 Tasneem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I think Liz Carlyle is a fabulous writer and this story was really entertaining. I cried at their sorrow, I rejoiced at their coming together. Merrick was one of the darkest souls I met in book one, seeing him finally reunite with Maddie was lovely. They both had been through so much. It just annoyed me that an error at the start of the book had the maid called Eliza. Thus I went through the book expecting her present maid Eliza to be the villain when it was just a mistake and the name should ha ...more
Kay Bolton
Jul 02, 2013 Kay Bolton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
Review taken from my Blog Post (#47) in December 2010 after borrowing the book from my local library.

Whilst this is really a story of all things mis-placed: love; pride; trust in a parent. Eventually, it just proves that love will win through and can overcome the enormous hurdles put in its way by the things that were mis-placed.

This engaging and intriguing story by one of my favourite authors, Liz Carylyle, engaged me all the way through.

The story of Merrick MacLachlan and Lady Meredith Bessett
Melodie
Sep 07, 2011 Melodie rated it really liked it
I like the premise of this book and thought that it was pretty original. I enjoyed reading the book and absolutely adored Merrick. I liked Madelaine well enough until she ask Merrick to keep the truth about his relationship with Geoff a secret. In my opinion, she has no right to demand that of him and it's a wonder that Merrick complied with her demand. Even though they both had suffered from her father's deceit, it is Merrick who bear the physical evidence of it and to whom I sympathize most wi ...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Geez! Stayed up all night reading this one!

The writing was great & it kept me up all night because I was waiting and waiting for Merrick to figure it out. I really really didn't like Maddie's excuses. They just seemed petty.

This was my intro to Liz Carlyle book, and I think I may read more. Not this series though if they are all back and forth like this one was. It drug out way too long in some areas.

Maybe it's me & I'm just mad I stayed up all night for this! I was trying to get a bad
Virginia
Nov 17, 2010 Virginia rated it liked it
20 pages in, I kept thinking to myself, why does this seem so familiar? Turns out, the plot was predictable because I've read it before. ^_^ On the inadvertent re-read, the writing flaws are a little more apparent, but Carlyle is still an alright romance novelist. (After all, this genre can be much, much worse.) I'll still read more of her work because her writing doesn't make me want to throw the book across the room. :)
Andrea Jackson
Their reconciliation was a little contrived but I enjoyed the book nonetheless.
Olivia Gould
Dec 29, 2012 Olivia Gould rated it really liked it
I loved the Romance but found that the boy having a gift like that was a little too much for the book.
Kindaangelic
Apr 14, 2010 Kindaangelic rated it really liked it
Loved this series...I think this book was the hottest tho! I will continue to read Ms Carlyle's books....she has great characters and I love her style of writing.
Sonja
May 25, 2009 Sonja rated it it was amazing
Loved Merrick! But then, I always like the dark, grouchy heroes. Great story, with lots of drama, and one of the sweetest endings I've read in a long time.
Alleyne
Sep 04, 2008 Alleyne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: regency historical readers
Shelves: regency-romance
This book was passionate and full of tension. A lovely read.
Modesty_b
Mar 13, 2014 Modesty_b rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
It's dragging...
S
Nov 25, 2012 S rated it really liked it
Yes, secret baby! The Sight! Fun lines! Fun, fun read.
Anna May
May 17, 2014 Anna May rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, I really did. I had a soft spot for Merrick ever since I came across him in a previous book. But the supposed love of his life?

Madeleine is just too stupid to be real. A lot can be explained with being young and inexperienced, yes, but her utter stupidity is just beyond words. I cannot find any sympathy for her at all.

Frankly, I could maybe forgive her for what she did when she was 17 because at least then you could get away with claiming she was young. But she
jackie frye
Jun 15, 2011 jackie frye rated it liked it
At 17 Madeleine and Merrick eloped. The morning after their Gretna Green married Merrick was almost beaten to death and told Madeleine had changed her mind about the marriage by Madeleine’s farther. Madeleine was told Merrick had accepted thirty thousand pounds to have the marriage annulled. Both were hurt and bitter.

Thirteen years later they met again; Madeleine is a widow with a troubled twelve year old son and Merrick is a cold, heartless business man. While trying to find help of Geffory (th
suzi
Feb 07, 2015 suzi rated it it was ok
It's not really bad, just not my cup of tea. In the first place, I really don't like the Big Misunderstanding trope and the one in the book was dragged on until almost the end. I like estranged couples though but in this book, it's not enough to win me. I guess part of it too was that I was annoyed with Madeleine most of the time. The only thing I liked was what she did at the end. Anyway, I read on because I wanted to hear more about Geoff.
Joan
Aug 03, 2016 Joan rated it liked it
This was a great story,with well developed characters..I did unfortunately find both of them tedious after Awhile. The continued over use of the same excuse became exhausting to read. They did have great fire and sparks when ever they were around each other. The twists it takes do add a level of excitement to the story.
Trewen
Oct 06, 2013 Trewen rated it really liked it

3 1/2 stars

I liked this mostly for Liz Carlyle's writing style.
She's always been one of my favorites.

But, this book and trilogy, didn't do it for me.

I didn't find much to like about either H or h and they fought and bickered the entire book.

The ending, when they finally come together was sweet but too short and very rushed
Jultri
Plot 4/5 but overall rating 4.5/5 due to the lovely lyrical prose, I have come to expect of Ms Carlyle. A slow-brewing second-chance romance after 13 years of separation with a slight supernatural subplot. Though part of a series, it can be read on it's own (which I did).
Kesha
May 15, 2014 Kesha rated it liked it
Very slow moving and repetitive book. The middle 100 pages aren't needed at all because the hero and heroine just keep arguing with each other over the same misunderstanding. The ending was very cute, loved it.
Mitzi
I rate this a C. This was my least favorite of the 3 in this series. To much grief. I think I simply prefer novels without all the lies???
Nancy Brooks
May 14, 2015 Nancy Brooks rated it really liked it
Another great story from Liz Carlyle! I am reading her backlist and enjoying every one. Merrick and Madeleine's story is a good one.
Romance Novel Boo...: SOLVED - Historical romance can't find 4 42 May 16, 2016 12:24AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 14, 2015 02:02PM
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)
  • Lady Be Bad (Merry Widows, #3)
  • A Husband's Wicked Ways (Cavendish Square, #3)
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, #2.5; Neville Family & Friends, #0.5; Desperate Debutantes, #3.5)
  • The Bridal Quest (The Matchmaker #2)
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • Sins of a Duke (Griffin Family, #4)
  • Lord Perfect  (Carsington Brothers, #3)
  • Lady Beware (Company of Rogues, #14)
  • My Pleasure (The Rose Hunters Trilogy #2)
  • Tea for Two
21944
Dear Readers,

The awful truth about novelists is that we are mostly dull, introverted homebodies who only write in order to live our fantasies vicariously. I came to writing rather late in life, and I’m still amazed I can get paid for doing something I love, and that I get to stay home while I do it.

My favorite comedian Steve Martin once said, "I believe entertainment can aspire to be art, and ca
More about Liz Carlyle...

MacLachlan Family & Friends (10 books)
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)
  • One Touch of Scandal (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Scarlet (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #2)
  • The Bride Wore Pearls (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #3)
  • A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
  • In Love with a Wicked Man
  • The Earl's Mistress (MacLachlan Family & Friends, #10)