Start by marking “Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary

Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary answers the urgent need for an easy-to-use kanji dictionary compact enough to be easily carried around, yet detailed enough to satisfy the practical needs of the beginning and intermediate learner.
Its basic goal is to give the learner a thorough understanding of kanji by providing instant access to a wealth of useful information on...more
Published October 29th 2001 by Kodansha International Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary

Genki I by Eri BannoAn Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese II by Eri BannoA Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 by Seiichi MakinoBasic Kanji Book, Vol. 1 by Chieko Kanoみんなの日本語―初級1本冊 by スリーエーネットワーク
Best Japanese Learning Textbooks
21st out of 44 books — 38 voters
Genki I by Eri Banno1年生のかん字 by あいげん社くもんの国語かんじ集中がくしゅう小学1年生 by 本堂寛Nihongo Notes 1 by Osamu MizutaniUnderstanding Japanese Society by Joy Hendry
Best Learn Japanese Books
8th out of 45 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill Michaud
Nov 19, 2007 Bill Michaud rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Japanese Language Students
As a reference (not a primary learning source), this book is excellent.

Perhaps the thing I love most about this book is that it shows combinations with kanji that are not in the first position of the word. Many, if not all, native dictionaries only show words with the initial kanji for examples, which can be frustrating given the way they are combined in Japanese and take on some unexpected readings. Perhaps it is for this reason alone that I still use this dictionary even after studying kanji...more
Matt
I've plumbed this dictionary inside and out for years alongside other kanji dictionaries in my studies. For starting out, this book is an essential tool; however, when it comes to studying readings and the like, I feel there are better resources out there. What this Kodansha Kanji dictionary for learners does do exceptionally well is provide a physical resource that is easy to look-up kanji in while reading something written in Japanese or studying. I would argue that this shouldn't necessarily...more
Mizumi
I haven't been using this dictionary a lot because I got a wordtank quite quickly afterwards, but I love it still, even though it got me into trouble for not having some of the kanji that were in my homework (hence the wordtank). I have no trouble at all looking things up, and the meanings are short and straight to the point. Maybe not the best dictionary for translating or deep text analysis, but most certainly a great dictionary for, well, 'busy people'.
(On a completely random note, I love ho...more
Gavin
Another Kanji dictionary, but Halpern tries to entirely re-invent the Kanji categorisation system, which means some lookups make you say "Brilliant! Two seconds!" and others make you say "Why the #$%@ is it there?! How was I supposed to know to divide it there?".

But it contains a wealth of example phrases, some so spectacularly subtle that even native Japanese speakers turn their heads quizzically when confronted with them.

Kanji is always exciting with Jack.
Adrian Magill
I've been using this book as a reference off and on for about six years now. The one drawback it has (and this is understandable considering...) is that it sometimes doesn't have the kanji one might need. However, it should be noted that I was in Japan when I was using this book and it does contain over 2,000 of a possible 10,000 kanji characters.
James Mckinney
The book does a well enough job providing the reader with a dictionary that fits its function. The problem today is that any student of Japanese is provided with numerous far more convenient ways to look up the meaning of kanji and its compounds. In short, this type of book is quickly becoming obsolete.
Julie
This has been one of the most helpful things I have ever had when studying Japanese. It is chock-full of good examples, readings for each character, and it includes readings for names. It is incredibly easy to look up new characters once one gets used to the SKIP method employed by the authors.
Haengbok92
Excellent dictionary! Offers a lot of insight into Kanji common and obscure. I really like to flip through it and learn another Kanji or Kanji combination word. That said, I think the proof of this book will come when I go to Japan. Looking forward to it!
Noah
This dictionary is the most amazing dictionary I've ever used for Japanese, as its set-up is easy to follow and the kanji is very simple to look up. If you ever need a Japanese kanji dictionary, use this one.
Jim
Apr 28, 2008 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This Kanji dictionary is very in-depth and has been a great resource when reading and learning Japanese.
Michelle Anderson
Immensely useful.
Niklas
Niklas marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Sarah added it
Sep 26, 2014
Kio
Kio is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Nieku
Nieku marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Athika Phuong
Athika Phuong marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Ema
Ema marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Jennie
Jennie added it
Aug 22, 2014
Mitch
Mitch marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Alexander Mccallie
Alexander Mccallie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
NTC's New Japanese-English Character Dictionary The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary (Kodansha Dictionary) New Japanese-English Character Dictionary The Kodansha Kanji Usage Guide: An A to Z of Kun Homophones Chikyu Kokusaijin No Jidai Ga Yatte Kita! (Shirizu Yudayajin No Me) (Japanese Edition)