பார்த்திபன் கனவு [Parthiban Kanavu]

பார்த்திபன் கனவு [Parthiban Kanavu]

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,074 ratings  ·  60 reviews
This book is the first of trilogy, which covers the reign of Narasimha Pallavan(Narasimhavarman). The narrative revolves around the struggle of the Pallava Emperor to enhance the prestige of the Pallava dynasty flag.

Paarthiban Kanavu deals with the attempts of the son of (fictional) Chola king Parthiban, Vikraman, to attain independence from the Pallava ruler, Narasimhavar...more
Published 2002 by Vanathi Pathipakam (first published 1942)

Bhargavi Balachandran
I technically have the ability to read Tamil.But even on my best days,i don't think i could manage a page of Tamil prose without making my brain go bonkers.Obviously, i am not proud of this as Tamil is my mother tongue and I have studied it as my second language for a decent period of time.My reading habit started courtesy random books available at home. It is a little surprising that i have to slave over a passage of Tamil when both my parents read quite a bit of Tamil literature and we had ton...more
Umesh Kesavan
For those who wish to enjoy Kalki's genius yet do not have the patience for " Ponniyin Selvan" , this is a smart shortcut !
Arulmozhivarman
The first of the trilogy of Kalki's historical magnum opuses, 'Parthiban Kanavu' boasts the richness of the Tamil Nadu and its people during the reign of Chola and Pallava dynasties. Written in a simple and lucid style without compromising the parlance of the language, this book is the best starter for anyone new to Tamil historical fictions.
Though the story is simple, Kalki has interwoven the plot with everything the reader can dream for: beauty, harmony, gallantry, romance, satire, shock, hor...more
Silver
I'm going to be generous with my stars here and give this one 5 shining stars. But that doesn't mean it isn't good. It is; Just not Kalki's best. Still it is one of the better historical novels you can find in tamil. It is not long or as well-written as his other two masterpieces and I remember finishing it in hours. I have a definite soft spot for it since it is the first ever novel I read. Before that I just stuck with newspapers, magazines, etc. I should thank my dad for introducing me into t...more
Arul20
தம்பி பிரபாகரனும் தன் கனவு நனவாகாமலே
விழுப்புண் ஏந்தி, வெஞ்சமராடித் துஞ்சினார்.

பார்திபன் கனவிலும்,
பிரபாகரனின் கனவிலும்,
பல ஒற்றுமைகள்.

The Cholas are vassals of the Pallavas.

King Parthiban conveys his dream of the Chola dynasty regaining its glory – which he believes is lost since they are no longer the independent rulers of their land – to his young son Vikraman.

He does this by bringing his young son to the family temple where he has drawn scenes of battles and glories. In the main battle scene...more
Arunram A
Parthiban Kanavu (PK) is a fast paced thriller right from the beginning to end!

I had read this earlier in 2001 or 2002. And, forgot most of the plot by now when I started reading. It can be considered as a sequel to the "Sivakamiyin Sabadham" (SS). The heros of SS - "Narasimha Pallavan" and "Paranjothi @ Siruthondar" play important roles here in PK as well.

The story revolves around Vikrama Cholan, Narasimha Pallavan, his daughter Kundavi, Marappan (Vikraman's uncle), a rower family on the banks...more
Venkat Krishnan
This book gave me a new experience..Yes this is the of any stuff that i read in my own native language...""TAMIL""..I take pride of my self that I successfully started my first book in Tamil..
A sense of pride flows through my veins to say myself TAMIZAN.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

I have already heared some great things about AMARAR KALKI....I used to see many great people whom I Inspire took Kalki as Inspiration..After reading this book I came to know the reason..

GS Nathan
Intrigue, suspense, romance, valor, courage, villainy, revenge, envy, loyalty, all showcased within a intricate story filled with unexpected twists and turns makes this an excellent historical romance, told with all of Kalki's trademark ability. Perhaps that a fuller and more measured treatment of the story - a la Ponniyin Selvan - would have been more satisfying...but then again, you can't have everything. A gripping page turner!
Prasanna Venkataraman
Good historical novel to read.. It will be best, when you take it after reading Sivagamiyin sabatham. This is more or less like a sequel to Sivagamiyin Sabatham. Definitely we ll get inspired to visit Mahabalipuram after reading this combo...
Gouri Shankar
Kalki has the power to mesmerize the readers ......
Bharath J
Excellent Imagination by Kalki.
Thangaprakash Sengodan
Many thanks to Kalki for bringing me the habit of reading books!!. When I was pursuing my Master's degree (2003) at Government College of Technology, Coimbatore, it was happened to read Kalki's "PARTHIBAN KANAVU" (thanks for my room-mate a good reader then), ofcourse I started the novel by 7.10 pm as a short time pass until the dinner 7.30 pm. But I was trapped by his writing and I lost my dinner that night and finally put down the book after 12.00. I never thought of reading a full book before,...more
Yuvaraj Ravichandiran
The book which is a sequel to 'Sivakamiyin Sabatham' is a nice historical work by Kalki. The story is awesome with historical background.

The portrait of Pallava King and his ruling is excellent. The context in which 'Paranjothi' used is unpredictable.

The story gives us the information about the kingdom with its bravery and the villains mingled with 'Kabalikas'.
Jananee
Oh such an exciting sequel of Sivagamiyin Sabatham. Time just flies in Kalki's novel. You travel with the characters for year, you see their birth, their childhood, their adolescent, their love, their entire life as if it is your own. I can't define by words. I feel proud to be a tamizhian, born on the same land these great people have lived. RESPECT.LOVE.
Cherma
I read this novel immediately after finishing Sivagamiyin Sabatham. This is one of the novel about Chozha dynasty just like Ponniyin Selvan. Most of the characters of Sivagamiyin Sabatham is used in this novel as well. One can get similar thrill of Sivagamiyin Sabatham by reading both the novels back to back.
Balakumar
Sep 04, 2013 Balakumar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All those know Tamil
The tamil historical novel by Kalki Krishnamoorthy tells about the love between estranged Chola prince Vikraman with Pallava princes and daughter of Narasimhavarma Pallva, Kundhavi. Vikraman's father Parthiban, a heir of the almost extinct Chola empire is defeated in the war by Narasimha varma. In his death bed, he requests a saivite monk to take care of his young son and guide him to recover the lost fame and rule. The monk-in-disguise is non other than the Emperor Narasimha varma. The rest of...more
Nataraj
One of the wonderful books written by Kalki... still I would rate his first as the best
Karthi Sn
good
not much thrill
comparing ponniyin selvan this story baks
Arvind Srinivasan
Good ... but lesser when compared to ponniyin selvan :)
Shyam Kumar
Such an exquisite tale, beautifully detailed and brought to life by the painstaking historical research that brings the era to life. My only regret would be in reading a translation vis a vis the original. Being reasonably fluent in Tamil, I can clearly see certain phrases and certain parts would be a delight to read in Tamil. Pick up the original if you can. Otherwise, this is a brilliant read. I havent read much else but this translated version of Kalki's work, but I can see why he has achieve...more
Indu Rupi
migavum arumaiyaaana kanavu !!!!
Rkphilip
Interesting Book
Saravana
Wow.. my first tamil book deals with history.. really good..

Expecting sugesstins from readers abt other books which talks about tamil history please..
Nishaanth S
The way Kalki introduces a fictional character (Parthipan) into the history of Chola-Pallava conflict is creativity at its very best. Attributing the resurgence of the Cholas to a fictional king's dreams who lived 300 years ago is just a brilliant presentation. Thoroughly enjoyed this one and can't wait to start Sivagamiyin Sabadham :)
Viswanathan Venkataraman
Another of those childhood reading of book bound together from pages taken off week after after week from Kalki magazine were it was serialised. Whatever Kalki wrote historical books like an adventure story and amazingly even a 12 or 13 year old could grasp the historical significance
Abinaya
very interesting.the king Narasimha pallavan made a great impact in me
Saravanan Meivel
actually my suggestion is first read "sivagamiyin sabatham" then read this novel...its just a sequel to that novel and pre-sequel to "ponniyin selvan"...but i read these books in reverse order....so i gonna read this again in order...
Sivakamiyin Sabadham - English Translation 1 9 Oct 08, 2012 11:22PM
  • உடையார், #2 [Udayar]
  • ஏழாம் உலகம்
  • சில நேரங்களில் சில மனிதர்கள் [Sila Nerangalil Sila Manithargal]
  • Holy Kural - Thirukkural in Tamil with English Translations
Kalki (Tamil: கல்கி) was the pen name of R. Krishnamurthy (Tamil: ரா. கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி) (September 9, 1899–December 5, 1954), a noted Tamil writer, film & music critic, Indian independence activist and journalist from Tamil Nadu, India.
More about Kalki...
பொன்னியின் செல்வன் [Ponniyin Selvan] சிவகாமியின் சபதம் [Sivagamiyin Sabatham] அலை ஓசை [Alai osai] Ponniyin Selvan - The First Floods கள்வனின் காதலி [Kallvanin Kadhali]