Start by marking “Kiss the Joy As It Flies” as Want to Read:
Kiss the Joy As It Flies

Kiss the Joy As It Flies

Award-winning children’s author publishes her premiere novel for adults. With all the wisdom, humour and joy we’ve come to expect from Sheree Fitch, Kiss the Joy As It Flies marks the well-loved author’s move from children’s literature to adult fiction. Set in the fictional Maritime town of Odell, with a cast of exasperating but lovable characters, Kiss the Joy As It Flies ...more
Published July 2nd 2008 by Vagrant Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Kiss the Joy As It Flies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss the Joy As It Flies

M
Aug 02, 2008 M rated it liked it
What I loved about this book is that 'Odell' is so clearly Fredericton that I could trace Mercy-Beth's movements through the city on a map. This is a sweet, funny book - not as strong as The Gravesavers, but a strong step into adult fiction from a writer best known for her playful children's poetry.
Mike
Sep 29, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Witty and wise. Great book.
Gayle Macdonald
Aug 22, 2011 Gayle Macdonald rated it really liked it
A laugh out loud book, Fitch catches us being ourselves.
Jennifer D.
Jan 04, 2016 Jennifer D. rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian, owned-paper
I rate this novel 3 Stars.

Mercy Beth Fanjoy is in a panic about her life and is trying to get certain things in order before she undergoes surgery. The characters were interesting and quirky and the town of Odell is based on Fredericton,New Brunswick, so it was cool to have a context of place. The author has stated she feels this book to be a tragicomedy. There certainly are tragedies but I expected to laugh more. Mercy got into some funny situations but nothing was laugh-out-loud for me. The fi
Denise
May 10, 2016 Denise rated it it was ok
This was a quick little read by Sheree Finch, who made the jump from children's books to novelist with this book. I, for the most part enjoyed her writing....the character of Mercy Beth Fanjoy was quite true to life....as were her struggles with a mid-life crisis as she struggles with her own mortality after the news that she needs exploratory surgery....Ms. Finch also did very well with sprinkiling humour through out the story, thus making most of the characters seem even more real. At times ...more
Dorothy
Apr 05, 2012 Dorothy rated it really liked it
When I first started this book, I could not get in to the story and let it lay on my pile of "to read" books for over a year. Once I settled myself to actually do it, I began to enjoy the story and characters and found a lot of similarities between myself and Mercy Beth Fanning, the main character. I would recommend it as a well written and enjoyable book which makes you think about your situation in life. Besides, Sheree Fitch is a Nova Scotian author ... we should support our own.
Tammy Murray
Living near/working in Fredericton, the constant references to but not really to the city was annoying. Either create a fictitious place or suck it up and use the real names.

Found many of the characters shallow and not adding to the story. Some even down right confusing.

The name Mercy, bugged me too.

Bought the book at Value Village, donated it back. I was disappointed.

On the upside, Sheree has beautiful language. It just didn't save the story in my opinion.
Cathy
Mar 05, 2010 Cathy rated it it was ok
I found the obvious setting in Fredericton, while saying it was another town, too distracting to end up finishing this book. The chapters were really short, which I would have thought made it more approachable.
Stephanie Mccarville
I felt just a bit neutral about this book. It wasn't amazing but also wasn't awful. Moments of truth for someone facing an unexpected surgery/diagnosis with some glimmering moments of humour. Would recommend it as a light read.
Taunya
Jan 03, 2012 Taunya added it
Shelves: flounced
I just could not get into this book. The writing style was not one which I enjoyed at all, and I failed to find the humour as stated in the reviews. Only read about 100 pages and couldn't continue.
Nicole
Jul 12, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I read this because it was recommended in a CBC article about humour writing, and I was disappointed that I didn't really find it all that funny. It's not a bad book, though.
Joan
Sep 15, 2011 Joan rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed the allusions to Fredericton and its characters who are recognizable. Some good moments and often very funny.
Susan Maldrie
Susan Maldrie rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Jodi
Jodi rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2009
Carmen
Carmen rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2010
Kati
Kati rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2012
Libby Broadbent
Libby Broadbent rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
May 03, 2012
Jacqui
Jacqui rated it it was ok
Sep 28, 2009
Trish McCourt
Trish McCourt rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2010
Sharon Boyne Travis
Jun 14, 2015 Sharon Boyne Travis rated it liked it
I loved the quote "She laughed She loved She really lived / She cried She tried She died She did".
Toni S
Toni S rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Traci
Traci rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2009
Tarah Demerchant
May 17, 2016 Tarah Demerchant rated it it was ok
Needed to read for the book club. Not my favourite but it was ok
Linda Doyle
Linda Doyle rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
From the Writer's Federation of Nova Scotia:

"Sheree Fitch is an educator, literacy activist and author of award winning poetry, picture books, nonfiction, plays and novels for all ages. Her first book, Toes in My Nose, illustrated by Molly Lamb Bobak, was launched in 1987. The books that followed have garnered numerous awards, including The Mr. Christie Award for There Were Monkeys in My Kitchen,
More about Sheree Fitch...