Start by marking “Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  16,655 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Who’s hungry? EVERYONE. Who has time to cook? NO ONE. Dig out the slow cooker. Add a second and a third if you wish. Fill one with main-dish fixins and the others with go-alongs. Do it in the morning—or between work and after-school events. Come home to richly-flavored, ready-to-serve food. Slow cookers are having a comeback. With good reason. They are friends on a day of ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by Good Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

Elissa
There are many things that annoy me about this cookbook. The most annoying thing is that the author/editor includes several recipes for the same thing but with (sometime very) slight alterations. I mean honestly, do you really want to figure out which of 5 beef stew recipes is the one for you when the ingredient lists look fairly similar? I found maybe 3 or 4 recipe that look useful to me. I hate that there are no pictures- I like to see if what I'm cooking is looking at all like it should. Also ...more
Steven Peterson
The Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook is a great resource for those of us who can't always fix meals in the afternoon. Many people are busy at work and have little time, once they get home at the end of the day, to fix a proper meal.

This cookbook is one option for such people. I don't use the crockpot more than once a week or so, but for those days when a slow-cooked meal is called for, this is a very helpful cookbook.

One of the nice aspects of this volume is that it is, in a sense, a "populist co
Leigh
An absolutely terrific cookbook offering plenty of easy, yummy recipes specific to slow cookers. The ingredients are not esoteric and the recipes are easy to follow. The recipes were created by real cooks in real kitchens, as opposed to chefs in test kitchens who never seem to know or care what real people eat and that real people have lives outside the kitchen. Finally, the index is plenty comprehensive, so if you feel like making something that involves mostly potatoes, or steak or beans, no p ...more
Aliza
I love recipes for my slow cooker, but this cookbook is quite frustrating. It is set up by readers submitting their recipes. There are multiple recipes of the same kind, but different ways and ingredients. There are no pictures to show what your food is going to look like after cooking....and with a slow cooker I think that is important because people don't really want to eat something that looks like the dogs dinner. This book seemed like a precursor to the website Allrecipes, but without the p ...more
LA Carlson
May 10, 2011 LA Carlson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those beginning to use a crockpot
Recommended to LA by: found it in the cooking section of my local bookstore
Shelves: food
This is a perfect cookbook for those wanting to begin doing slow cooker cooking. The beef stew recipe on page 71 is a favorite especially during the winter months here in Minnesota. I've got two teens who have different tastes, the tater tot casserole on 116 is easy and agreeable for everyone. Having used my first slow cooker for 20 years it finally wore out and the purchase of the Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker makes this type of cooking a breeze.
Christy Sibila
Some of the recipes call for an awful lot of Velveeta, but if you snoop around enough, you will find a handful of yummy and healthy recipes that are easy to make.
Jen
I wish "can of cream of mushroom soup" wasn't the key ingredient in almost every recipe. Adding MSG to my food isn't something that interests me.
Meghan
My only complaint about this book is the lack of pictures, so if you are someone who needs the pictures this cookbook isn't for you. This cookbook is full of tried and true recipes that readers have submitted to be complied into this cookbook. Now this cookbook may have 3 different receipts for the same recipe, for instance chicken cacciatore, however that is nice because it allows you to look at what you have on hand and work with that so it is a nice perk to this cookbook. I also like the simp ...more
Nancy Noyes-ward
I hate this book. I don't know where it came from, but if you want it it is yours. So many processed foods utilized in the recipes. So many repeat recipes. Best way to crock pot cook? Experiment. It's not hard.
Ebookwormy
This is an excellent resource for crock pot cooking. Being able to assemble dinner in the morning and know it is cooking away and you don't have to worry about it for the day is a WONDERFUL feeling. It is also a nice way to cook in the summer as the crock pot throws off less heat than my oven.

I have been very happy with the recipes I've made, as well as the breadth of this book (soups, main meals, meat, ect.).

My one critique is that many of the recipes, while convenient and possibly tasty, lack
Greta
I got this book out of the library after seeing the sheer volume of recipes it contained. But whn I got home and started perusing the recipes, I realized that the bulk of them were based on canned ingredients - and that the sodium levels were astronomical as a result. There were a few hidden gems, but it took a lot of searching to find them. If I'm going to buy a cookbook, I want to know that it's something I'll turn to time and again for healthy, simple recipes. If I want a lot of salt and othe ...more
Lauren
This was a good book to have and I wish I have owned one. My coworker had let me borrow it to look at and there were some really good recipes in it.
Jennifer Fluegge
YEAH, they have cookbooks on here, too! This book is a great collection of recipes for the crock-pot--I made one from here just the other day, actually! The problem for me is doing the planning so that I get the stuff in the crockpot in the morning before I leave for work..I am always glad when I do, though! Another issue is that oftentimes, the crockpots cook alot faster and hotter these days so if I put it in before I leave for work,by the time I get home, the stuff is overdone bigtime! Howeve ...more
Christopher
This is easily our favorite crock pot cook book at my house. Many of the recipes have very simple preparation which can be performed in a modicum of time even by the most unskilled kitchen dullards like myself :)

Unlike many crock pot cookbooks we've seen where bland food seems to be the norm, a number of recipes from this one are in fact quite flavorful and tasty. We just made the 'Irish Beef Stew' (Not sure REALLY how Irish it is, but it's yummy :).

Can't recommend this book highly enough for pe
Geo Vittoratos
Too 50's for me. Everything is way too old school and caloric.
Nancy
This is presently my favorite cookbook. Winter time is a great time to use the crock pot to prepare wonderful stews, try yummy new spaghetti sauce recipes, even do a fragrant chicken without turning on the oven. I don't think I would eat properly without my helper book. I am usually able to feed myself for a whole week, or freeze part of a dish for another time. As an exceptionally busy person, constantly on the go, this savory cookbook is a godsend.
Kathy
I use this cookbook all the time! One of the best things I love about it is that there are often several recipes for the same meal. If I don't have all the ingredients for a specific version, I can take different parts from similar recipes. An example would be sloppy joes. There are a few different versions and I can mix and match ingredients. I am not the most creative or ambitious cook, so this cookbook has been fantastic!
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
You do have to becareful, because some of this will burn if you fix it and leave for work all day. If you come home at lunch & turn it on, you are good to go. OR if you have great kids who come home from school that can get your already prepped pot out of the frig & tun it on...

A few of the recipes, like the stews with more sause/gravy/soup are easy fixes... Just not the pasta dishes or the ones that actually bake something.
Kathy Kennedy
I love this book! I have had a slow cooker for for a couple of years and only used it here and there. I found this book in the library and thought what the heck I'll give it a try. OMgoodness. I have made everything from apple butter and whole wheat bread to omelets and stews in my slow cooker and the its so easy! I am getting this book for myself!
Angie
Mar 26, 2008 Angie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves to cook or try new recipes
A friend of mine shared some recipes out of this book with me over the week-end . I HAD to buy myself a copy of this cookbook today ! I read the backs of the cereal box , so why not read a cook book ?
Seriously it is a great book with wonderful recipes in it . I plan to add a few of the other Fix It and Forget It books to my cookbook collection ;-)
Bernie
This is the best slow cooker cookbook. I'm always trying different recipes from this cookbook and they turn out good. What makes this book better than other slow cooker cookbooks is that the recipes are submitted by the average person. They have perfected the recipes to satisfy their families and the passed them on to us.
Daphne
This book has a ton of recipes. The reason I gave it 2 stars is because there seem to be many repeated recipes. I think there were more than 10 chili recipes. It also didn't seem to have anything in there I didn't already know about slow cooking, so maybe it is more for someone first using a slow cooker.
Missy
This is an ok cookbook. Points docked for recipes containing chicken broth yet labeled as "vegetarian". i thought many recipes overlapped so that was disappointing too. I suppose the later could be good to help one create their own recipe based on the tweaked elements, but more unique recipes would be good.
Korri
I love my slow cooker but I do not love pouring canned soup over everything. With that taken into consideration, there were only a few recipes that appealed to me. Also, beef plus condensed mushroom soup does not equal beef stroganoff. But having a few new recipes to try made it worth the read.
Tricia
I pulled a couple of recipes that I will be trying soon. While many were duplicated, such as chili, it was interesting to see so many variations. If anything this book gave me the confidence to throw that extra (fill-in-the-blank) into the crockpot whenever I am trying for something new!
Diane
I liked that the recipes were food I would actually cook. Fairly simple food without a lot of complication or obscure ingredients. ON the downside though, it does read like one of those church bazaar cookbooks where there are 12 different recipes for sloppy joes or something like that.
Ashley Dallas
Really liked this, esp. the rice pudding recipes, but the slow cooker has you leave the pudding in far too long-it will end up dry + falling apart, rather than thick but still pudding-like. Delicious warm+ cold. I really liked this recipe book and the easy recipes other than that.
Alicia
I was disappointed with this cookbook. I've tried four recipes and none have come out great. The worst of the four I tried was the bread pudding recipe, which came out more like a custard with more eggs and milk than bread and stuck to the crockpot dish something awful.
Charity
I got a lot of neat ideas from the recipe book. I have a whole slew of things to cook up now and ideas for things that I've been looking askance at in the pantry. I was also intrigued by the idea of baking bread in the slow cooker or preparing artichokes. Who knew?
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining: Slow Cooker Favorites for All the Year Round
  • Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook
  • Betty Crocker's Cooky Book
  • Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories
  • The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!
  • Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
Fix-it and Forget-it Cookbook Favorite Recipes With Herbs: Using Herbs in Everyday Cooking Deliciously Easy Salads and Sauces with Herbs Deliciously Easy Main Dishes with Herbs Deliciously Easy Breads with Herbs