Start by marking “Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War” as Want to Read:
Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War

Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  19 reviews
March 23, 2003: U.S. Marines from the Task Force Tarawa are caught up in one of the most unexpected battles of the Iraq War. What started off as a routine maneuver to secure two key bridges in the town of Nasiriyah in southern Iraq degenerated into a nightmarish twenty-four-hour urban clash in which eighteen young Marines lost their lives and more than thirty-five others w ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Presidio Press (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ambush Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ambush Alley

Chrissy
I was completely unimpressed with the first half of the book, but the second half of the book is what made it good. The first half seemed to repeatedly bang me over the head with trivial matters that should have been briefly noted instead of being the focal point. The book did give context as to the some of the marines themselves but failed to really describe the context of this particular battle to the overall operation itself. During the second half of the book, starting with the A-10 situatio ...more
'Aussie Rick'
This book provides the reader with a gripping and fast-paced account of the Battle for Nasiriyah that took place in Iraq on March 23, 2003 when U.S. Marines from Task Force Tarawa try to secure two vital bridges in the town.

After a few mishaps that takes the battalion command by surprise the men soon get bogged down in heavy and uncompromising street fighting with Iraqi forces. Using first-hand accounts of the men on the ground this is an excellent combat narrative that highlights the 'fog of wa
Terri
Wow, what a monumental and catastrophic screw up. This is a terrific book and I recommend it to all. Very shocking, very real, very well done.
Tim Pritchard gives you the battle for Nasiriyah like you would never expect to get it. From many different angles and from many different viewpoints.
You have to read this book. No matter your taste in books, you owe it to these men to read their story.
Digit
I'm not going to pretend to know what the experince of battle feels like, however if I was to assume then I think this book does a brilliant job of capturing the ebb and flow perfectly.

The authors style may not be to everyone's enjoyment as it does move quickly, however I think its perfect for representing the confusion experienced that day. As close to immersing the reader into the chaotic state as you could expect from a book that recounts the 'fog of war'.

For fans of Black Hawk Down, this is
Christopher
Expecting to roll through Al Nasiriyah on the way to Baghdad, being welcomed by open armed Iraqis, the US Marines' plans went awry before they had reached the first bridge to the South of the city.

The night before the planned manouver, an army convoy had made a wrong turn and stirred up a hornet's nest in the town. An oft used maxim is that "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy" and this book demonstrates this perfectly.

Lack of communication, military intelligence and proper planning a
Anthony
If you wish to read a book that presents itself more as a novel than an explanation and layout of a military operation than pick-up Ambush Alley. Ignoring the obvious fictional feel of the book I still found the reading intersting militarily. Involving three mechanized units Alpha, Bravo and Charlie of the Marine contigency who are given the task of seizing two strategic bridges located in Nasirayh, Irag. The Marines are left to believe the Iraq's will meet the soldiers with gratitude and very l ...more
Jim
This is a great book. It was hard to put down because of all the action, but I had to take breaks because of the intensity. In March 2003 Marine Task Force Tarawa was to secure two bridges in the town Nasiriyah, clearing a route for the assault on Baghdad. There was to be little resistance and almost no fighting. Uh huh. The first bridge was taken easily, but soon after several tanks and AAVs got stuck in mud pits. Now the marines had to set up defensive positions instead of cruising through to ...more
Rob
I liked the book overall. It is engaging and tense at times.
As an "old Corps" marine I found the aspects of the technology available
to be far beyond what I experienced 'way back when'. But the technology as
revealed in this book is a double edged sword that brings about much destruction
to those wielding this tool as to those who are the intended targets.

This book reminded me of the book, "Blackhawk Down".

I think this book is worth reading if you are interested in Marine Corps history and
as well t
Jenette
I've read a number of books on Task Force Tarawa, all of which I enjoyed. Unfortunately this one didn't quite reach my expectations. Something about the way it was written made it difficult for me to truly feel for the men involved. Throughout my reading I felt very detached from events whereas in the previous books I've read I've felt my heart pounding in places, and a desperate need to see whether the men whose lives I was reading about came out unscathed. A little disappointing but still wort ...more
Darren
Overall a good book with an eye-opening, if not somewhat alarming, look at the most costly battle (for Marines) of the Iraq War. The book isn't written particularly well, and feels disjointed at times, but this partially reflects the completely chaotic nature of the battle. There is no glossing over the harsh realities of war here, and how even the most ferocious, highly trained fighting force in the world can get into a lot of trouble. Could have done without the language though..
Tyson
A fascinating book on a single day that lost many good Marine's lives. From communication and intelligence SNAFUs to the blue on blue engagement, nothing is held back in this gripping commentary on one of the worst days in recent Marine history.

Why this event hasn't received more publicity and oversight is beyond me but it is something that should be read and talked about and studied in war college. Recommended.
Rich Taylor
This book describes a debacle of a battle during the invasion of Iraq. The battle described and the mistakes, as well as the impressive actions of some individuals are certainly fascinating, unfortunately the style of the writing is awful. There is no objective analysis, merely a poor attempt at describing personal exploits of the soldiers - and of course no input from the Iraqi side of things.
Tasha
Tragic, haunting, harrowing. A must read, at the least to honor those who went through this experience. We'll never fully grasp what this experience was really like for these brave men but Tim Pritchard does an amazing job putting us on the front lines with these marines through his words. Not for the faint hearted but war never is, is it? It was hard to put this book down.
Mark
If you enjoy small unit combat stories, you will love this book. You get all the detail -- from the weapons used by the men, their food and life, as well details about their attempts at communication. Tim Pritchard tells the story and illustrates Clauzawitz's fog of war.
Tin Wee
I was inspired to read this after reading Fiasco. This is an inspiring and gripping tale of how the Marines blundered into a situation, suffered several setbacks (friendly fire ala Hamburger Hill), and bounced back to win the day. Recommended.
Sdoconnor
Very riveting and gripping book. This brings the Iraq War to level of a war not just insurgents taking pot shots. It was real full-fledged combat and the men that took part should be respected and those who died should be remembered.
Kecia
Awesome account of one of the first battles in Iraq. This book read more like a novel than non-fiction. It makes me wonder if some of the details were slightly embellished. Great book for military buffs.
Cimuchowski
Mud stopped our tanks. Friendly fire was unfortunate. The victory was ours.
Saul
this book had me holding my breath hehehehe
Jeremy Davis
Jeremy Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Farabi Bettaieb
Farabi Bettaieb marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Gordon Phillips
Gordon Phillips is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad
  • The War I Always Wanted: The Illusion of Glory and the Reality of War: A Screaming Eagle in Afghanistan and Iraq
  • Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
  • House to House: An Epic Memoir of War
  • How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq
  • In The Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat In Iraq
  • Roughneck Nine-One: The Extraordinary Story of a Special Forces A-team at War
  • Black Hearts: One Platoon's Descent Into Madness in Iraq's Triangle of Death
  • Not A Good Day To Die: The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
  • Muqtada: Muqtada al-Sadr, the Shia Revival, and the Struggle for Iraq
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story Of A British Battle Group Under Siege