Start by marking “Mistletoe: Four Holiday Stories” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe: Four Holiday Stories

Mistletoe: Four Holiday Stories

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Snuggle up beside the fire with this juicy collection of four different, but equally sizzling, winter romances.

Glittering white snowflakes. The handsome blond ski instructor. The sparkle on a cashmere skirt. Hot cocoa and kisses in front of a crackling fire. The holiday season is the ESSENCE of magic...and romance. Four of today's bestselling teen authors -- Melissa de la
Published October 1st 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Let It Snow by John GreenDash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel CohnShiver by Maggie StiefvaterNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenEx-mas by Kate Brian
Winter Break for YA
15th out of 99 books — 289 voters
Let It Snow by John GreenDash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel CohnEx-mas by Kate BrianThe Coal Elf by Maria DeVivoSecret Santa by Sabrina James
YA Holiday Novels
6th out of 47 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Mistletoe means kissing, and four favorite authors each create a story about love and relationships during the holiday season in this anthology.

New Year's Eve equals a time for new beginnings, and Maxine can't wait for her high school BFF's famous Christmas party. However, being at home during her college break and pining away for the perfect but pricey party dress in the window leaves her feeling a little depressed. Her old crush just might have
Natalie
I was pleasantly surprised by these 4 short Christmas stories. They were each sweet and festive and could be read in one sitting. some were better than others but overall it was exaclty what I hoped for.

Working in a Winter Wonderland by Aimee Freidman - funny and quirky. I liked the main character and the idea of a Jewish girl working in a Christmas shop was clever.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Breakup by Hailey Abbott - a bit predictable and cliche. I'd skip this one.

Scenes from a Cinematic Ne
oliviasbooks
Working in a Winter Wonderland (Friedman) = 4 stars. I liked that one best - even if it was pretty cheesy. But at Christmas (and at Hanukkah too?) some kitsch should be allowed.
Have Yourself a Merry Little Breakup (Abbott) = 4 stars. Super cute couple. I also understood that sad feeling of fading friedship with former high-school-friends.
Stories from a Cinematic New Year's (Malkin) = 2 stars. I didn't like that über-macho, self-centered actor and that slangy language - although the hero emerges
Stephanie
I liked three shorts in Let It Snow much better than this quartet of four Christmas stories. Some of these characters had blah personalities and all of the authors were pretty obsessed with product name-dropping constantly. This was really bad in the beginning of the first story (about a Jewish girl working as a store elf), but thankfully that one pulled out to be fairly cute by the end. Do they really think all teens really care about are labels? Some may, but a lot don't. Even when I was one, ...more
Alea
Mistletoe is a mixed bag of holiday and new year's stories! They all have something different to offer but go together nicely! Just like, Let It Snow, it's perfect to read this time of year!

Of all the stories I think I enjoyed Aimee Friedman's story, Working in a Winter Wonderland the most. I don't want to give too much away because discovering the main character, Maxine's job at the department store is all part of the fun. But it's a great glimpse of the holiday madness that leads up to Christm
Stephanie
I had great expectations for Mistletoe since it was written by some of my favorite authors. However, I was sadly disappointed. :(

Out of the four stories, there was only one that I had greatly enjoyed. It was the one about the girl who dressed like an elf and ended up meeting the boy of her dream in the department store. I don’t exactly remember who write this story but I really enjoyed it. I liked the plot – especially the elf. Gotta love the elf! It was basically a very fun read.

The other stori
Jessica
Umm well, the first two were okay, I didn't like the third, and the forth had a really stupid ending.

Working in a Winter Wonderland - Aimee Friedman
This one was okay, had a cute ending, was pretty amusing, I found it a tiny bit rushed but it was still pretty complete. Oh and the girl is Jewish in this book which would be a plus to some but was not relatable for me. But was still pretty cool to have a Christmas story focus on someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Br
Morgan Renae
Sadly, I was very disappointed by Mistletoe. It wasn't as entertaining as I hoped it would be, and it didn't give me any sort of Christmas spirit. Mistletoe consists of four different stories. I will order them from favorite to least favorite.

"The Christmas Choos" by Melissa De La Cruz: This one was my favorite because the characters were instantly relatable and the story has fun to read. But it was lacking something, and I think that was the reality factor. It didn't feel genuine.

"Have Yoursel
Marco Jean-Bob

Ieri sera ho terminato la lettura dell’ultimo racconto della raccolta di quattro Mistletoe – four holiday stories. Non ho però letto il terzo, Scenes of a cinematic New Year’s di Nina Malkin perché è scritto in modo strano, troppo difficile per me –e devo ammettere che non mi sono impegnato molto. Mi dispiace davvero, ma questo periodo è per me molto stancante a causa della scuola e riesco a trovare davvero poca concentrazione. Se poi il libro è in lingua inglese l’attenzione che serve alla trad
Estelle
Dec 29, 2013 Estelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

I’ve been searching for another collection of holiday short stories since I read Let It Snow almost two holidays ago. Mistletoe‘s stories are a little shorter, and less developed but I still had a merry time reading them. The characters range from high school to college-aged to celebrating Christmas and Hanukkah — mall jobs, crushing on the wrong person,a Hollywood star, and discovering the true meaning of the holidays. I was practically giddy wi
Sophie Riggsby
Published on Mundie Moms on 12/21/2012*

Okay, so I picked this up at my favorite used bookstore. How could I resist a cover like that? And yes, I made myself an eggnog latte and read these stories in one sitting.

Working in a Winter Wonderland by Aimee Friedman
I love stories where the main character longs for a boy who was out of reach a while ago. And when we meet Maxine she's home from college and hoping (and planning) to meet up with Heath (the hot boy f
Kathy Stone
These Holiday-seasoned stories are laced with an indulgence of two much alcohol and that odd desire that older teens and young adults have to be kissed at midnight on New Year's Day. The desires of the characters are just a little too old for the respective audience of a YA book. I think that there is too much desire and not enough depth of character in these short stories.
Ashley
I'm not sure who this book was for.. college girls? Teen girls? The ages were kinda all over the place, making for a hard read since I went from reading YA to kids lit to "What the hell is the crap?"

I did not like this book at all. None of the stories were that great. "Scenes from a Cinematic New Year's" was by far the worse story I have ever read and the "best" story, "The Christmas Choos", was barely a step up, nothing more than a update on a tired "twist".

I think I have committed all four "au
Mindy Lee
Cute festive stories for the Christmas season.
Gabie (OwlEyesReviews)
2.5 stars. This book was a very odd one. I felt like the four stories were completely different. I absolutely loved one and then hated the other. I feel like there could have been a better collaboration between them. I both Melissa and Hailey's stories made this book for me. The other two were a total miss.

Click Here For Full Review
Lindsey
Aug 15, 2008 Lindsey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Die hard fans of the included authors
Four holiday stories with a romantic twist by popular teen authors. Pretty predictable with average plots and characters. I was only able to read three out of the four stories(I wasn't able to read the story by Nina Malkin - the writing style / dialogue drove me crazy!)I would recommend it only for those really wanting something to fit that romantic, Christmassy mood or for die hard fans of the included authors.
Brianda Barrera
I am a sucker for holiday reads, but this one was pretty bland. There was no magic :( I'd also have to add that it gave me no Christmas cheer. Particularly the one with the actor was semi-interesting but mostly slow and a bit depressing. Ex- Mas and Let it Snow are way better Christmas books. If you must read YA Christmas stories as I do, go there first. Haven't been able to find any good Christmas books since
Christine
Feb 23, 2011 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ppl who read fast
Shelves: 2-own
Hmmm this book didn't live up to my expectations. I LOVED the first Story! Fudging fantastic! But all the others?...Cute and ok but of course they didnt catch my interest really bc they were so short. I kinda skipped thro the middle two...the last one....ugh it was sooo cute... i want a guy like the guy in that book :p lol
Nailah
you would think this great book would have been written by adults. but no no no! this is by kids my age. this book had about four tales in one. they are all written by teenagers. these books deal with everyday issues/themes. the one i will write about is when a girl falls in "love" with her best friends boyfriend
Lauren R.
I guess 2.5-3 stars. I wasn't blown away or even really impressed with any of the stories. I even DNFed one of them after a few pages. The stories weren't particularly romantic or cute. I liked the last story and the first story was pretty good. Overall pretty juvenile and superficial. I'm bummed!
Olivia
I was compelled to purchase this because it's December & I wanted some cheesy Christmas stories to read. Well, I definitely got the cheese factor. My favorite story was probably the 4th one. I wouldn't read this again, but I didn't expect much so I'm not too disappointed.
Brittany Soncek
I only thought this book was okay. It didn't really make me jump out of my chair while reading it. The third book by Nina Malkin, I didn't even read. I have never done that before, I just didn't like the set up of how it was written. The first and second are my favorites.
Odette
This is another book that I read once every year. It has 4 short stories in them and I swear one of them changed my life. One is a little hard to understand, but once I really sat down I loved the entire book. It's a great read for the Holiday season (not just about Christmas!)
Dani
Ughh. Hated it. Totally misrepresented by the blurb. I would not say that is was "as yummy as a mug of hot cocoa". And certainly not as "tantalising" as a kiss under the mistletoe. All the characters were so weak and irritating. I'm glad I only paid $1 for this book.
Jessica
I thought that the stories were really cute! The third one was kinda sad (I thought so anyway), but I really liked all of them. I wish that they could have been full length books, because they would have been Amazing!!!! Loved this book though, so it's all good!
Amy
I really enjoyed two of these stories, one was okay and the other was very much not to my taste. Mostly cute tho!
Danielle
Read this such a long time ago and cannot remeber it that well. I loved the storythat was gift of the magi inspired, and the one about the actor had a really creepy ending, but thats partly why i liked it.
Karen
The book was good and heart-warming. Very enjoyable on a Christmas night. But, I didn't quite understand Nina Malkin's story, Scenes From A Cinematic New Year's. It was very confusing.
Reaganstar
This lil christmas book has 4 lil stories in it, I really only cared for 2 of the stories, they offered the true christmas feel and I appreciated that being a huge fan of the holiday.
Erin
i thought this book was fabulous, but the ends of some stories made me want to pull my hair out. but maybe that's why i hardly ever read short stories. i always want MORE.
  • Kissing Snowflakes
  • Snow in Love
  • Fireworks (Four Summer Stories)
  • Ex-mas
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Secret Santa
  • North Pole High: A Rebel Without a Claus
  • Decked with Holly
  • Better Latte Than Never
  • Snowed In
  • Sun-Kissed Christmas
  • Studying Boys (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #2)
  • Snow Queen
  • 30 Guys in 30 Days
  • The Romeo Club
  • Home For The Holidays
  • A Non-Blonde Cheerleader in Love (Cheerleader Trilogy, #3)
  • All I Want For Christmas
Hailey Abbott grew up in Southern California, where she split her time between creative writing and creative beaching. She is the author of Summer Boys, Next Summer: A Summer Boys Novel, The Bridesmaid, Getting Lost with Boys, and The Secrets of Boys. Hailey now lives in New York City.

Her first book was Summer Boys, published in 2004, the first of a series. It was described as "escapist beach rea
More about Hailey Abbott...
Summer Boys (Summer Boys, #1) The Other Boy Flirting with Boys Getting Lost with Boys Next Summer (Summer Boys, #2)