Start by marking “Mistletoe: Four Holiday Stories” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe: Four Holiday Stories

Mistletoe: Four Holiday Stories

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  498 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Snuggle up beside the fire with this juicy collection of four different, but equally sizzling, winter romances.

Glittering white snowflakes. The handsome blond ski instructor. The sparkle on a cashmere skirt. Hot cocoa and kisses in front of a crackling fire. The holiday season is the ESSENCE of magic...and romance. Four of today's bestselling teen authors -- Melissa de la
Published October 1st 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Let It Snow by Maureen JohnsonDash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel CohnShiver by Maggie StiefvaterMy True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie PerkinsNorth of Beautiful by Justina Chen
Winter Break for YA
15th out of 136 books — 361 voters
Let It Snow by Maureen JohnsonDash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel CohnEx-mas by Kate BrianThe Coal Elf by Maria DeVivoSecret Santa by Sabrina James
YA Holiday Novels
6th out of 51 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Gabrielle
Dec 20, 2015 Gabrielle rated it liked it
Buddy read with Stefanie!!;)

Working in a Winter Wonderland by Aimee Friedman 3.5 stars I really enjoyed this one great kick off to the collection and it was so Christmassy and cozy but I felt the romance came out of no where and it was a bit rushed at the end overall really enjoyed

Have Yourself a Very Merry Breakup by Hailey Abbott 3 stars I really enjoyed this one as well it was cute and entertaining and the dynamics between the characters were interesting to see the romance was cute enough I j
Stefanie
Buddy read with Gabrielle.

Breakdown of the stories:
Working in a Winter Wonderland: 5 out of 5
My favourite story in this collection by far and I really thought the entire collection would be like this.
Have yourself a Very Merry Breakup: 2 out of 5
To many brand name dropping here. And it dragged out to long for me. I felt this could have easily been finished in half of the page length.
Scenes from a Cinematic Nee Years: 1 out of 5
This one was terrible. I DNF'd this one after three pages and even
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Mistletoe means kissing, and four favorite authors each create a story about love and relationships during the holiday season in this anthology.

New Year's Eve equals a time for new beginnings, and Maxine can't wait for her high school BFF's famous Christmas party. However, being at home during her college break and pining away for the perfect but pricey party dress in the window leaves her feeling a little depressed. Her old crush just might have
Natalie
Nov 22, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by these 4 short Christmas stories. They were each sweet and festive and could be read in one sitting. some were better than others but overall it was exaclty what I hoped for.

Working in a Winter Wonderland by Aimee Freidman - funny and quirky. I liked the main character and the idea of a Jewish girl working in a Christmas shop was clever.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Breakup by Hailey Abbott - a bit predictable and cliche. I'd skip this one.

Scenes from a Cinematic Ne
oliviasbooks
Working in a Winter Wonderland (Friedman) = 4 stars. I liked that one best - even if it was pretty cheesy. But at Christmas (and at Hanukkah too?) some kitsch should be allowed.
Have Yourself a Merry Little Breakup (Abbott) = 4 stars. Super cute couple. I also understood that sad feeling of fading friedship with former high-school-friends.
Stories from a Cinematic New Year's (Malkin) = 2 stars. I didn't like that über-macho, self-centered actor and that slangy language - although the hero emerges
Stephanie
Apr 20, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I had great expectations for Mistletoe since it was written by some of my favorite authors. However, I was sadly disappointed. :(

Out of the four stories, there was only one that I had greatly enjoyed. It was the one about the girl who dressed like an elf and ended up meeting the boy of her dream in the department store. I don’t exactly remember who write this story but I really enjoyed it. I liked the plot – especially the elf. Gotta love the elf! It was basically a very fun read.

The other stori
Stephanie
Mar 15, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it
I liked three shorts in Let It Snow much better than this quartet of four Christmas stories. Some of these characters had blah personalities and all of the authors were pretty obsessed with product name-dropping constantly. This was really bad in the beginning of the first story (about a Jewish girl working as a store elf), but thankfully that one pulled out to be fairly cute by the end. Do they really think all teens really care about are labels? Some may, but a lot don't. Even when I was one, ...more
Alea
Dec 28, 2008 Alea rated it really liked it
Mistletoe is a mixed bag of holiday and new year's stories! They all have something different to offer but go together nicely! Just like, Let It Snow, it's perfect to read this time of year!

Of all the stories I think I enjoyed Aimee Friedman's story, Working in a Winter Wonderland the most. I don't want to give too much away because discovering the main character, Maxine's job at the department store is all part of the fun. But it's a great glimpse of the holiday madness that leads up to Christm
Dec 06, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Starting off my celebration and talks of stories that fit in with the holidays wonderfully, the first collection of holiday themed stories that comes to my mind is Mistletoe. In fact, it was the very first collection of four holiday stories that I’d ever picked up, due to my love of Melissa de la Cruz and Aimee Friedman.

While Mistletoe: Four Holiday Stories has the promise of a lot of fluffy goodness, it isn’t the best release out there. I loved all the stories in it once upon a time, but upon m
Kayla
Feb 22, 2016 Kayla added it
"Working in a Winter Wonderland"
I thought that this was a great story to kick off the book.I felt like it had me hoping that she was going to get the date she always wanted.I like how there was a twist to it.And the ending was cute.

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Breakup"
Not my favorite work by Hailey Abbott.It was decent.I could sort of see the ending coming.

"Scenes from a Cinematic New Year's"
This was hard for me to get through.I did not like the way it was written.It just didn't work for me.

"Th
Dec 30, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
Umm well, the first two were okay, I didn't like the third, and the forth had a really stupid ending.

Working in a Winter Wonderland - Aimee Friedman
This one was okay, had a cute ending, was pretty amusing, I found it a tiny bit rushed but it was still pretty complete. Oh and the girl is Jewish in this book which would be a plus to some but was not relatable for me. But was still pretty cool to have a Christmas story focus on someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Br
Jinglemarco

Ieri sera ho terminato la lettura dell’ultimo racconto della raccolta di quattro Mistletoe – four holiday stories. Non ho però letto il terzo, Scenes of a cinematic New Year’s di Nina Malkin perché è scritto in modo strano, troppo difficile per me –e devo ammettere che non mi sono impegnato molto. Mi dispiace davvero, ma questo periodo è per me molto stancante a causa della scuola e riesco a trovare davvero poca concentrazione. Se poi il libro è in lingua inglese l’attenzione che serve alla trad
Estelle
Dec 29, 2013 Estelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

I’ve been searching for another collection of holiday short stories since I read Let It Snow almost two holidays ago. Mistletoe‘s stories are a little shorter, and less developed but I still had a merry time reading them. The characters range from high school to college-aged to celebrating Christmas and Hanukkah — mall jobs, crushing on the wrong person,a Hollywood star, and discovering the true meaning of the holidays. I was practically giddy wi
Sophie Riggsby
Published on Mundie Moms on 12/21/2012*

Okay, so I picked this up at my favorite used bookstore. How could I resist a cover like that? And yes, I made myself an eggnog latte and read these stories in one sitting.

Working in a Winter Wonderland by Aimee Friedman
I love stories where the main character longs for a boy who was out of reach a while ago. And when we meet Maxine she's home from college and hoping (and planning) to meet up with Heath (the hot boy f
Kathy Stone
Apr 05, 2014 Kathy Stone rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-the-library
These Holiday-seasoned stories are laced with an indulgence of two much alcohol and that odd desire that older teens and young adults have to be kissed at midnight on New Year's Day. The desires of the characters are just a little too old for the respective audience of a YA book. I think that there is too much desire and not enough depth of character in these short stories.
Raving Redcoat
Jan 23, 2016 Raving Redcoat rated it liked it
Shelves: brain-candy
Four Christmas- and New Years- themed stories of romance. The tales are very predictable, but still fun to read. A quick and reasonably fun bit of brain candy.
Ashley
I'm not sure who this book was for.. college girls? Teen girls? The ages were kinda all over the place, making for a hard read since I went from reading YA to kids lit to "What the hell is the crap?"

I did not like this book at all. None of the stories were that great. "Scenes from a Cinematic New Year's" was by far the worse story I have ever read and the "best" story, "The Christmas Choos", was barely a step up, nothing more than a update on a tired "twist".

I think I have committed all four "au
Anna
Dec 19, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Cute festive stories for the Christmas season.
Gabie (OwlEyesReviews)
2.5 stars. This book was a very odd one. I felt like the four stories were completely different. I absolutely loved one and then hated the other. I feel like there could have been a better collaboration between them. I both Melissa and Hailey's stories made this book for me. The other two were a total miss.

Click Here For Full Review
Robyne
Feb 02, 2016 Robyne rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, christmas
4 short stories for teens all about the holidays. They were very cute and enjoyable.
Lindsey
Aug 15, 2008 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Die hard fans of the included authors
Four holiday stories with a romantic twist by popular teen authors. Pretty predictable with average plots and characters. I was only able to read three out of the four stories(I wasn't able to read the story by Nina Malkin - the writing style / dialogue drove me crazy!)I would recommend it only for those really wanting something to fit that romantic, Christmassy mood or for die hard fans of the included authors.
Brianda Barrera
Mar 15, 2013 Brianda Barrera rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
I am a sucker for holiday reads, but this one was pretty bland. There was no magic :( I'd also have to add that it gave me no Christmas cheer. Particularly the one with the actor was semi-interesting but mostly slow and a bit depressing. Ex- Mas and Let it Snow are way better Christmas books. If you must read YA Christmas stories as I do, go there first. Haven't been able to find any good Christmas books since
Christine
Feb 23, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ppl who read fast
Shelves: 2-own
Hmmm this book didn't live up to my expectations. I LOVED the first Story! Fudging fantastic! But all the others?...Cute and ok but of course they didnt catch my interest really bc they were so short. I kinda skipped thro the middle two...the last one....ugh it was sooo cute... i want a guy like the guy in that book :p lol
Nailah
Jun 12, 2008 Nailah rated it it was ok
you would think this great book would have been written by adults. but no no no! this is by kids my age. this book had about four tales in one. they are all written by teenagers. these books deal with everyday issues/themes. the one i will write about is when a girl falls in "love" with her best friends boyfriend
Lauren R.
I guess 2.5-3 stars. I wasn't blown away or even really impressed with any of the stories. I even DNFed one of them after a few pages. The stories weren't particularly romantic or cute. I liked the last story and the first story was pretty good. Overall pretty juvenile and superficial. I'm bummed!
Olivia
Dec 13, 2013 Olivia rated it it was ok
I was compelled to purchase this because it's December & I wanted some cheesy Christmas stories to read. Well, I definitely got the cheese factor. My favorite story was probably the 4th one. I wouldn't read this again, but I didn't expect much so I'm not too disappointed.
Brittany Soncek
Jul 28, 2011 Brittany Soncek rated it really liked it
I only thought this book was okay. It didn't really make me jump out of my chair while reading it. The third book by Nina Malkin, I didn't even read. I have never done that before, I just didn't like the set up of how it was written. The first and second are my favorites.
Odette
Nov 25, 2012 Odette rated it it was amazing
This is another book that I read once every year. It has 4 short stories in them and I swear one of them changed my life. One is a little hard to understand, but once I really sat down I loved the entire book. It's a great read for the Holiday season (not just about Christmas!)
Dani
Jul 04, 2013 Dani rated it did not like it
Ughh. Hated it. Totally misrepresented by the blurb. I would not say that is was "as yummy as a mug of hot cocoa". And certainly not as "tantalising" as a kiss under the mistletoe. All the characters were so weak and irritating. I'm glad I only paid $1 for this book.
Apr 09, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I thought that the stories were really cute! The third one was kinda sad (I thought so anyway), but I really liked all of them. I wish that they could have been full length books, because they would have been Amazing!!!! Loved this book though, so it's all good!
  • Kissing Snowflakes
  • Snow in Love
  • Fireworks (Four Summer Stories)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas (Simon Romantic Comedies)
  • Ex-mas
  • Secret Santa
  • Better Latte Than Never
  • Home For The Holidays
  • Studying Boys (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #2)
  • Snow Queen
  • Snowed In
  • Sun-Kissed Christmas (Summer #8)
  • Decked with Holly
  • Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1)
  • Meet Me at the Boardwalk
  • Mediterranean Holiday: Or, How I Moved to a Tiny Island and Found the Love of My Life
  • Make My Wish Come True
  • French Kiss (Alexa & Holly, #2)
Hailey Abbott grew up in Southern California, where she split her time between creative writing and creative beaching. She is the author of Summer Boys, Next Summer: A Summer Boys Novel, The Bridesmaid, Getting Lost with Boys, and The Secrets of Boys. Hailey now lives in New York City.

Her first book was Summer Boys, published in 2004, the first of a series. It was described as "escapist beach rea
More about Hailey Abbott...