When Royals Wore Ruffles: A Funny and Fashionable Alphabet!

When Royals Wore Ruffles: A Funny and Fashionable Alphabet!

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In this Hilarious, oh-so-fascinating trip through fashion history, a little girl goes back in time and meets a cast of characters wearing the latest trends. In B, we see Bustles, in H there’s sky-high hats (and hair!) and, in S, well, you won’t believe the shoes. And when the girl finishes her sylish trip—with Y for You and Your own Zany style—she puts on a fashion show fo...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Schwartz & Wade

Kathryn
Sep 29, 2009 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chandra--um, it's an ALPHABET book and Izzy will love the fahion!
This was so much fun!!! I got it for the illustrations, because I enjoyed the illustrator's work in other books, and while they were a large part of the charm, the content of the book far exceeded my expectations. I actually learned quite a few things about fashion (For example, I had no idea that the word "nylon" comes from the name of two cities: New York and London!) and shook my head, chuckling over many of the fashions that have been deemed "beautiful" and "stylish" over the decades and cen...more
Jessica Granados
Fun book to learn about some fashion styles from the past. Funny illustrations. It would be a nice present for all the young kids that love fashion.
Megan
Sep 19, 2009 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fashion lovers
I found this wonderful gem at a Goodwill on my last trip to San Francisco. Why anyone would want to give away this clever little book is beyond me?! It is chock full of all kinds of fun and interesting information about the history of fashion.

For example, did you know that the word "nylon" comes from the name of two cities: New York and London? Or who was the first person to popularize empire waists or coats without tails? Well, it's all here in this quirky, cute, and of course deliciously styl...more
Heather
A fun introduction to fashion history, with great illustrations and interesting facts. I wish they'd made better use of "y is for you" to talk about how a child can create her own style. Also, I enjoyed it much more than my daughter (the target age group is 5-9 years, but I think it would be better suited for a slightly older age range--like 8-12).
Joanne
What a fun book! A is for attitude, B is for bustle...and then a short fashion history on the item featured. Did you know that for Queen Victoria's birthday someone made bustles that played "God Save the Queen" when women sat down? All sorts of other fun facts....and fun illustrations too.

Too old for my offspring, but I liked it.
Rachel
this is a fun book about fashion over time...includes ruffs, bras, high heels (and yes men wore them, too), wigs, and more.
fun read but less content based

includes flappers and 60s fashions

this was a girl student fave. every reading time, one of them chose this book to read
Kristin
An alphabet of fashion history with some of the same types of fun facts that appear in So You Want to Be President making it an entertaining book for school visits. Good match for young fans of Project Runway or other fashion-related shows. I think I actually give it 3.5 stars.
Trenya
What a fun book! I almost didn't get to finish reading it through all the way because my 11 year old daughter came along and wanted to take it away from me and read it herself. The illustrations are great and the text is informative but very interesting. We loved it.
Joenna
Fun fashion book to take you through the ages. B is for Bustle. F is for Flappers. G is for Go-Go Boots. Each page is dedicated to a fashion style or fashion item and talks about its history.
A great introduction to the history of fashion. The illustrations are bright and whimsical, and a surprising amount of information is fit into a limited amount of text.
Clarissa
Cute, introduction to the history of fashion. The illustrations were cute and cartoony, I thin that more realistic ones would have been better.
Dana *
Aug 31, 2009 Dana * rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: childrens
sweet alphabet book, with some big words that are good to introduce to kids, fun for parents to read also. some history too
Nicole
A fun book for my daughter and I learned some interesting facts as well.
Amanda
Beyond brilliant and utterly fabulous!
Erika
Erika added it
Jun 17, 2014
Ben Worth
Ben Worth marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jan 02, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Serene Shu
Serene Shu marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Zat Cat! A Haute Couture Tail Obsessed by Dress Holiday Princess: A Princess Diaries Book The Gospel According to Coco Chanel: Life Lessons from the World's Most Elegant Woman You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer