Start by marking “When Royals Wore Ruffles: A Funny and Fashionable Alphabet!” as Want to Read:
When Royals Wore Ruffles: A Funny and Fashionable Alphabet!

When Royals Wore Ruffles: A Funny and Fashionable Alphabet!

In this Hilarious, oh-so-fascinating trip through fashion history, a little girl goes back in time and meets a cast of characters wearing the latest trends. In B, we see Bustles, in H there’s sky-high hats (and hair!) and, in S, well, you won’t believe the shoes. And when the girl finishes her sylish trip—with Y for You and Your own Zany style—she puts on a fashion show fo ...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about When Royals Wore Ruffles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Royals Wore Ruffles

Kathryn
Jan 21, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Chandra--um, it's an ALPHABET book and Izzy will love the fahion!
This was so much fun!!! I got it for the illustrations, because I enjoyed the illustrator's work in other books, and while they were a large part of the charm, the content of the book far exceeded my expectations. I actually learned quite a few things about fashion (For example, I had no idea that the word "nylon" comes from the name of two cities: New York and London!) and shook my head, chuckling over many of the fashions that have been deemed "beautiful" and "stylish" over the decades and cen ...more
Taylor Horvat
Feb 19, 2015 Taylor Horvat rated it it was amazing
This is such a whimsical, creative, and clever book! Being a girl who loves style and fashion, this book was a fun read. It goes through the alphabet explaining the history of different fashion trends. The illustrations are one of my favorite parts of this book. They are bright and colorful on every page and are extremely important to the purpose of this book. The illustrations almost look like a fashion designers sketch book, making it even more interesting to look at and for little girls to en ...more
Megan
Sep 19, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fashion lovers
I found this wonderful gem at a Goodwill on my last trip to San Francisco. Why anyone would want to give away this clever little book is beyond me?! It is chock full of all kinds of fun and interesting information about the history of fashion.

For example, did you know that the word "nylon" comes from the name of two cities: New York and London? Or who was the first person to popularize empire waists or coats without tails? Well, it's all here in this quirky, cute, and of course deliciously styl
Heather
Nov 30, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A fun introduction to fashion history, with great illustrations and interesting facts. I wish they'd made better use of "y is for you" to talk about how a child can create her own style. Also, I enjoyed it much more than my daughter (the target age group is 5-9 years, but I think it would be better suited for a slightly older age range--like 8-12).
Joanne
Aug 04, 2009 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
What a fun book! A is for attitude, B is for bustle...and then a short fashion history on the item featured. Did you know that for Queen Victoria's birthday someone made bustles that played "God Save the Queen" when women sat down? All sorts of other fun facts....and fun illustrations too.

Too old for my offspring, but I liked it.
Trenya
May 16, 2013 Trenya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
What a fun book! I almost didn't get to finish reading it through all the way because my 11 year old daughter came along and wanted to take it away from me and read it herself. The illustrations are great and the text is informative but very interesting. We loved it.
Rachel
Feb 24, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
this is a fun book about fashion over time...includes ruffs, bras, high heels (and yes men wore them, too), wigs, and more.
fun read but less content based

includes flappers and 60s fashions

this was a girl student fave. every reading time, one of them chose this book to read
Kristin
Feb 23, 2009 Kristin rated it liked it
An alphabet of fashion history with some of the same types of fun facts that appear in So You Want to Be President making it an entertaining book for school visits. Good match for young fans of Project Runway or other fashion-related shows. I think I actually give it 3.5 stars.
Feb 17, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a great nonfiction find for an introduction to the world of fashion. Each letter/topic is explained with just enough information to encourage further exploring. Student researchers can pair this with the new Why'd They Wear That? by Sarah Albee.
Jessica Granados
Jun 06, 2014 Jessica Granados rated it it was amazing
Fun book to learn about some fashion styles from the past. Funny illustrations. It would be a nice present for all the young kids that love fashion.
Dana *
Aug 31, 2009 Dana * rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: childrens
sweet alphabet book, with some big words that are good to introduce to kids, fun for parents to read also. some history too
Joenna
Mar 18, 2009 Joenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-non-fiction
Fun fashion book to take you through the ages. B is for Bustle. F is for Flappers. G is for Go-Go Boots. Each page is dedicated to a fashion style or fashion item and talks about its history.
Aug 07, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
A great introduction to the history of fashion. The illustrations are bright and whimsical, and a surprising amount of information is fit into a limited amount of text.
Clarissa
Dec 26, 2012 Clarissa rated it liked it
Cute, introduction to the history of fashion. The illustrations were cute and cartoony, I thin that more realistic ones would have been better.
Shawna
Shawna rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2010
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2009
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2014
J
J rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2009
Kate Wilson
Kate Wilson rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
carissa
carissa rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2009
Lupine
Lupine rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2009
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Jennifer Raponi
Jennifer Raponi rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Janine Weston
Janine Weston rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2009
Ama
Ama rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Nicole
Jan 22, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
A fun book for my daughter and I learned some interesting facts as well.
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2014