Start by marking “Lady Jane Grey: Nine Day Queen of England” as Want to Read:
Lady Jane Grey: Nine Day Queen of England

Lady Jane Grey: Nine Day Queen of England

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Lady Jane Grey has often been called the 'Tudor Pawn', but to see her as one whose life was simply moved around by others is totally inadequate. In order to understand the full tragedy and triumph of
Published December 1st 2005 by EP BOOKS (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Jane Grey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Jane Grey

Georgia
An encouraging and inspire accounts of a intelligent, smart, strong and faithful young lady with a zeal for her Lord despite the evil plots of others. It gave a wonderful account of many of the detail surrounding the efforts of the godly men and women the Lord used to farther the reformation. Lady Jane Grey had no other ambitions in life other than to advance the gospel. Despite the hardships of being unloved, by her parents and those close to her, the Lord brought increasingly godly men to teac ...more
Johanna
Sep 18, 2007 Johanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All young ladies especially
A very moving story of Lady Jane Grey, the young protestant Christian queen of England, who was martyred at the age of sixteen. It really made me realize how little I have to complain about, and contemplate whether or not I had the strength and faith to die for Jesus Christ like she so courageously did.
Lynne Stringer
I thought this book was a bit brief, but then Lady Jane did only rule for nine days, so maybe it's understandable. Her story is a tragic one and certainly moved me. She definitely didn't deserve her fate.
Keri Folmar
I loved this book! It gave me a better understanding of the politics and history of the Reformation and a great respect for Lady Jane Grey. She was wise beyond her years and died rather than renounce salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. What an example! I'm giving this to my daughters to read.
Teresa
Aug 29, 2014 Teresa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teresa by: MCBC Pace program
If you can get past the intrigue in the beginning of this book, you will be challenged by one remarkable lady. God certainly opened up her understanding! I am amazed that she understood love at all.(unashamed power struggles were all around her) For her to love God, to believe He loved her,and to display such willing devotion, is a miracle. (true for her, true for any believer) She died for her convictions and I would like to memorize her defence of the gospel! (found in the back of the book) In ...more
Lindsay
Faith Cook has written a fabulous book on the short and yet passionate God glorifying life of Lady Jane Gray. I enjoyed it immensely and found it very stirring and convicting. To have such faith and confidence in the grace of God at the tender age of 16 and remaining steadfast unto death is powerful. An excellent read into the history of Tudor England, the depravity of man in his fight for power, and the mercy of God that used these tragic years to set the blaze for the Reformation. Can't wait t ...more
Phil Griffin
Excellent and very readable account of the life of Lady Jane Grey, the nine day Queen of England, alongside the lives of Henry VIII and Queen Mary and other events within the 16th century. Above all it shows how Lady Jane Grey kept her Christian faith, and her profound conviction that 'faith only saveth' (only faith in Christ saves us) until the very end, despite the pressure to renounce such beliefs which would have saved her from a brutal and horrific execution. This is an excellent book which ...more
Rachel
Dec 18, 2014 Rachel added it
Shelves: history
Very interesting
Arava
While my taste for biographies could stand to improve (and I would then enjoy this book even more), I can find no fault with the way this book was written. The author gave enough background information to give the reader a good understanding of England's political climate in the days before Lady Jane Grey was martyred for her Protestant Christian faith. A well-researched, history-rich read!
Erin
Fascinating! Amazing to read of such a young girl with such convictions. She faced the ultimate betrayal and in the face of death stood firm in her love and devotion to the Lord. It was beautifully written giving a full picture of the Tudor family and a close look at the spiritual battle some of the men and women faced during the reformation. This book was easy to read!
John
The remarkable story of an adolescent girl whom others sought to play like a pawn in England's royal games, but who was so utterly owned by Christ that she would not renounce her faith even upon the pain of death. A good refresher for some of your British history; an even better reviver of your relationship to Christ.
Catherine Campbell
An excellent story opening up the whole period of Tudor England and the accompanying Reformation. Faith Cook makes history interesting as she includes information you won't find in your schoolbooks. These young royalists were brave followers of Jesus.
Lydia
I enjoy historical non-fiction. This book is no exception other than it's fact list type of writing. I'm waiting for it to develop into an easier read. Right now I am eating fact after fact that isn't adsorbing the way I would like.
Kara
An excellent read. Truly a fascinating and inspiring, though sad, story! There's so much more to it than the brief paragraph or two in your typical history text! The intellect and character shown by such a young girl is really remarkable.
Corrine
So well done!!! I highly recommend this book as an encouragement for standing strong in one's faith in the face of injustice and overwhelming circumstances (of course all in the hands of our mighty God).
Jim
Fascinating read about a tragic figure who suffered martyrdom at the hands of "Bloody Mary." Faith Cook is a great writer, and brings this period of history to life in a very readable way. Recommended!
Karen
What a brave young woman. God gave her the strength to stand up for her beliefs. It is sad to see how a political system can destroy so many people. God had this as his plan for her life though.
Deborah Thompson
I could hardly put this one down. Brilliant book and an inspirational young woman. The price paid by so many in Britain for their faith is something we should never forget.
Jenny Carr
excellent, and intriguing account of Jane's Christian life, the events surrounding her becoming queen, and the afterward.
Tracey
Sep 17, 2011 Tracey added it
Really enjoying. suprisingly readable considering the topic and front cover!
Susan
I enjoyed reading this book and learning about English history. Easy to read.
Jamie
A very good book about an extraordinary hero of the faith!
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Tamara Smith
Tamara Smith marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Kathy Finkbeiner
Kathy Finkbeiner marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Jenna Sylvia
Jenna Sylvia marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
  • Ten P's in a Pod: The Million-Mile Journal of a Home School Family
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The Persecutor
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Never Give In: The Extraordinary Character of Winston Churchill (Leaders in Action Series)
  • In the Valley of the Kings: Howard Carter and the Mystery of King Tutankhamun's Tomb
  • Henry VIII
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • Think Biblically!: Recovering a Christian Worldview
Faith Cook was born in China, the daughter of OMF missionaries, and now lives in Derbyshire. She is married to Paul, who served as a pastor in churches in Northallerton, Shepshed and Hull. They have five children and ten grandchildren. She is also the author of Lives Turned Upside Down, The Nine-Day Queen of England, Our Hymn-writers and their Hymns, Seeing the Invisible and Under the Scaffold.
More about Faith Cook...
Selina, Countess of Huntingdon: Her Pivotal Role in the 18th Century Evangelical Awakening Singing in the Fire Anne Bradstreet: Pilgrim and Poet Our Hymn-Writers and Their Hymns Troubled Journey: A Missionary Childhood in War-Torn China