Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis

Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  6 reviews
'Racial Hygiene' focuses on how scientists themselves participated in the construction of Nazi racial policy. Robert Proctor demonstrates that the common picture of a passive scientific community coerced into cooperation with the Nazis fails to grasp the reality of what actually happened.
Published March 15th 1990 by Harvard University Press (first published July 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Racial Hygiene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Racial Hygiene

Beth Haynes
Last September I attended a lecture on the life of Dr. Karl Brandt, one of the leading Nazi doctors who was hanged following the Nuremberg Doctor's trial. A comment made in the lecture has increased my interest in learning about what went on in the medical field in Nazi Germany. That comment was that a conclusion drawn from the Doctor's Trial was that never again should we let government control medicine. I am currently searching for an original source which either supports or refutes that state...more
Chris
Interesting review of the ways that the medical profession and Nazism mutually shaped each other in Germany. It seemed that Proctor wanted to say a little bit more about some of the preoccupations of the Nazi movement, purity, holism, health, etc, but he shies away from drawing clear verdicts on these issues. As a result, some of the information seems excessive, like the chapter on organic medicine, which could have been combined with other material. Even this was at least interesting. Had it be...more
Matt
Proctor's book was extremely informative in helping to uncover the social and scientific roots of the healing-killing paradox. It helped me to understand the mind-frame of doctors under the Nazi regime, to a certain extent, and served as an integral part of my senior research.
Tara Olewnik dunn
I read this to familiarize myself with the racial hygiene laws to write a paper on medical futility . This book described the horrible and sick lengths the Nazi's went to ensure their "racial purity".
Dave Clark
This extensively researched book outlines how some in science used the idea of Eugenics to aid in establishing a seriously fucked-up world view that led to the Holocaust.
Craig J.
Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis by Robert Proctor (1988)
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Aditi
Aditi marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
No Remorse
No Remorse marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Dan Schindel
Dan Schindel marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Daniel Faulkenberry
Daniel Faulkenberry marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Hessaalbanafsaj
Hessaalbanafsaj marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
American historian of science and Professor of the History of Science at Stanford University.While a professor of the history of science at the University of Pennsylvania in 1999, he became the first historian to testify against the tobacco industry.
More about Robert N. Proctor...
The Nazi War on Cancer Golden Holocaust: Origins of the Cigarette Catastrophe and the Case for Abolition Agnotology: The Making and Unmaking of Ignorance Cancer Wars: How Politics Shapes What We Know And Don't Know About Cancer Why Science Matters: Understanding the Methods of Psychological Research