Robin Hood

Robin Hood

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  9,454 ratings  ·  72 reviews
The first volume of Alexandre Dumas' two-part interpretation of the story of Robin Hood, popularized for Nineteenth Century audiences by Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe, set in England in 1162-66.
In this book, Dumas tells the story of Robin Hood's youth: how he is delivered by an unknown man to be raised by poor but honest foresters, his great skill as an archer, how he comes...more
Published December 1st 2001 by Neuer Kaiser (first published 1863)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
The BOOK was BETTER than the MOVIE
457th out of 1,268 books — 16,488 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Best Books of the 19th Century
209th out of 601 books — 3,060 voters

More lists with this book...

Pige
Nov 02, 2008 Pige rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephe
I found this old out of print Dumas version of Robin Hood at the Central Brooklyn library. It was so old I often had to be careful not to damage the pages while I was turning them. It's the first of a two part series that he wrote in 1872, this version was published in 1920. It's apparently one of his least recognized books because it took some research to find out anything about it; it's not listed on biographical websites.
The story is another tale of that worthy forester called Robin Hood, I...more
G.Claudio
Bel libro per ragazzi, che regalerei volentieri a qualcuno che si stia avvicinando alla lettura... ma mi aspettavo qualcosa di diverso. Strutturato pi� come una serie di racconti legati tra loro che non come un romanzo vero e proprio, � una lettura piuttosto leggera... i personaggi sono poco approfonditi, la storia � piuttosto piatta per la maggior parte del tempo. Si fa leggere, non dico di no, ma mi aspettavo qualcosa di pi� "serio". Come � stato detto in un altro commento, forse la trasposizi...more
Maria Grazia
Libro "per ragazzi" dal valore più storico che letterario, sicuramente non una delle migliori opere di Doumas padre, che ha preso le leggende sassoni sul ladro gentiluomo e le ha rimasticate in salsa da operetta. Nessun vero spessore dei personaggi, tranne forse nell'ultima parte, un clima ridanciano e stupidotto, irrealmente idilliaco.
Senza contare i numerosissimi svarioni per cui l'autore richiama cose che dice di averci detto prima, e invece non l'ha mai fatto.
Direi che l'unica cosa per cui r...more
Rodrigoleite
Amber
When I was in year three I had a wonderful teacher who would bring a book from home and read a few chapters of it to us as a treat everyday. Robin Hood was one of these books, after he read it to us, he put it on our tiny bookcase in the room for anyone to read. I devoured it about four times over after he had finished it for the class. Brilliant book.
Tara Lynn
I LOVED Robin Hood and everything I could find about his legend when I was a child. Although this book was made into several movies (and most notably was the origin material for Errol Flynn's Robin Hood,) it does stray pretty far from the original material concerning Hood's legend.
Jake.l
Dec 07, 2012 Jake.l marked it as to-read
This book is written Alexandre Dumas this book has a lot of adventure and drama. My favorite part was when he tried to show the guy that he was a good archer and he hit the dear dead center in the target and the guy was surprised this book is GREAT!!!.
ApettaVale
Eleclyah
Katerina
Ammetto di essere arrivata alla fine con grossissime perplessità.
Dumas, capisco che questo libro è postumo, ma tu hai scritto Il Conte di Montecristo. Lo so che sai fare di meglio.

Ci sono storie che rimangono impresse per il modo in cui sono scritte: mi viene in mente Anna Karenina, che se non fosse per come scrive Tolstoj sarebbe "solo" la storia di una donna che si stanca del marito e si prende un amante.

E ci sono storie che restano impresse per la loro potenza intrinseca, a prescindere da com...more
ilmariel
L’histoire est totalement différente de ce que j’avais vue et lue antérieurement donc ce fut une surprise qui m’a un peu dérouté. Pourquoi ? Parce qu’on y raconte plutôt l’histoire de Robin avant qu’il devienne ce que nous connaissons de lui, c’est-à-dire le “prince des voleurs”. Néanmoins, j’ai mieux compris la légende : ses origines et les raisons de ce surnom donnent plus de sens à l’histoire.

Cependant, il ne s’agit pas du meilleur roman de l’auteur à mon avis. En faite, c’est en fouillant su...more
حسام عادل
قصة حياة البطل (روبين هود) نصير الضعفاء وقائد المتمردين ضد الظلم والطغيان,البطل الذي اعتاد سرقة التجار النورمان العتاة ليوفر قوت شعبه الساكسون الفقراء,وهي السرقة النبيلة الوحيدة في التاريخ,والتيمة الخالدة التي اقترنت باسمه دائما وصار كل من يقوم بنفس الفعل في أي عصر يشبهونه بروبين هود العظيم.
نقابل هاهنا روبين الشاب الذي يوقعه بعض حراس المملكة الماكرون في فخ يجعله عدوا للملك ويدفعه للهرب إلي الغابات ليحتمي بها لفترة طويلة من الدهر;نتابع معه في رحلته كيف أصبح عضوا ثم قائدا لجماعة المتمردين الذين يس...more
Lupurk
Finito il primo libro del nuovo anno...e non potevo cominciare meglio!
E' vero, il Robin Hood del libro è diverso da quello della leggenda, per molti versi, però...non c'è niente da fare, Dumas riesce sempre a coinvolgermi e a farmi ritagliare momenti di lettura in ogni secondo libero, per vedere come va avanti!!

Peccato aver scoperto che il libro che i libri in realtà sono due diversi! Esistono due volumi, che qui sono raggruppati tutti assieme (ma anche perché spesso, nelle edizioni italiane, ma...more
Kiberius
Germano Dalcielo
Questo breve romanzetto di 200 paginette non ci presenta un principe dei ladri affascinante e "mitico" quanto le trasposizioni cinematografiche hanno fatto negli ultimi anni. Sicuramente un Robin gioviale, birbante, generoso e grande arciere, ma Dumas si attiene alla mera sfera descrittiva e cronachistica delle sue imprese, la psicologia, il Robin uomo, sono toccati solo di striscio, quando alla fine la sua amata Marian lo lascerà solo col suo dolore.
Romanzetto sempliciotto, non mi ha lasciato...more
People
Altogether a good story, but way too many old-fashioned confusing words.
Florin Pitea
It was Ok, but I preferred the Henry Gilbert novel on the same topic.
Sorin Constantin
O carte care-ţi stimulează dorinţa de luptă împotriva nedreptăţilor conducerii şi te fac să visezi la păduri :D
Dincolo de glumă, este o poveste frumoasă, captivantă, foarte plăcut de lecturat. O continuuă hărţuială a eroului cu primarul ţinutului din care plecase în cruciadă, ridicat în funcţie din lipsa vitejilor care îşi urmaseră regele în lupte.
Aceste lupte locale şi la adăpostul codrilor din Sherwood, duse pentru apărarea ţăranilor apăsaţi de biruri, se împletesc cu o frumoasă poveste de dra...more
Frank
Only three stars for a Dumas book? What?
I love Dumas, he's one of my top three authors, but this is hard to rate on is own merits because there are so many other tellings of the Robin Hood story. It was better than some, but lacked in detail what other versions had, though the end of Marian was extremely well written and had my eyes moist and blurring the words. It did cover most of the main events, just not with much detail.
Daniel
I have to say I was pretty disappointed by this book. I had very high expectations, because Dumas is my favorite author, but I wasn't satisfied. The dialogue was weak and the story seemed rushed. I thought that the characters were predictable and shallow. And it also bothered me how Robin or some of his friends would get captured by the baron over and over, and every time someone would just walk into the castle and let them out. Overall, far from being the equal of Monte Cristo or the Musketeers...more
May 19, 2009 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children.
Shelves: audio, jr-fiction, classic
Silly me. I read this 6 months ago and only now do I realize that this was so good because it was written by Alexandre Dumas. Of course! It is his style! It was an interesting Robin Hood and I grew to like the characters very much, and there was a wonderful ending.

I think I would recommend all books by him based on Count of Monte Cristo, this, and Man in the Iron Mask. Next up: 3 Musketeers. I believe I read it when I was ten and disliked it.
Stéphanie
Contre toute attente, le roman ne relate pas les aventures de Robin des Bois mais davantage ses débuts, comment il est devenu le justicier de la forêt de Sherwood et comment il a rencontré ses frères d'arme. La légende demeurant ce qu'elle est, ce roman ne présente qu'une version possible. Mais elle mérite d'être lue, ne serait-ce que par curiosité.
Fredrick Danysh
Robin Hood is the tale of the son of an English nobleman loyal to the king who is away on one of the Crusades. In the king's absence, the Sheriff of Nottingham over taxes and abuses the countryside. Robin is outlawed and starts robbing the rich to aid the poor while carrying on a romance with the maid Marion.
Federica
«La pensi come vuole», continuò il barone; «ma io le dico che in tutta Inghilterra non vi è un uomo (soldato, villano o gran signore) che sia capace di far chinare davanti a sè la testa di quel proscritto. Non teme nulla, e ride di tutto e di tutti.»

- Il barone Fitz-Alwyn
Bill
Another childhood hero of mine. I haven't read the book since, and haven't liked any of the movies as an adult. For me Robin Hood wasn't a political figure. He was just a wild, free, man in the forest, living as he pleased, with some cool friends and a pretty girl.
Lisa Van Oosterum
WE enjoyed this one quite a bit. However, I sold it to the kids as the book about the guy who steals from the rich to give to the poor, but that doesn't even happen in the book. He does steal from the rich...but they keep the loot! I felt a bit jipped.
Satyabrat Mishra
I knew the folklore of Robin Hood, but Dumas created a new character in itself; A Robin Hood that was darker, meaner and more fascinating than even before. Loved it; Read it at the risk of doing miserably in my Vivas but was totally worth it.
Stefania
Il libro, di per sé, non ha nulla di eccezionale; è solo una raccolta di alcune avventure di Robin Hood fino alla sua morte. Bisogna, però, riconoscere che Dumas sarebbe in grado di rendere interessante pure la lista della spesa!
Giovanna
Nonostante sia inferiore alle opere più famose di Dumas rimane comunque degna di essere letta e apprezzata. Probabilmente se avesse avuto un vero finale e non si fosse interrotta bruscamente avrei dato le cinque stelline.
Susan
I think this version of Robin Hood must have been the model for the personality of the Errol Flynn movie. The ending surprised me. Literarily, it is certainly not Dumas' greatest work.
Fantasy & Sci...: Robin Hood v. Batman 12 5 Feb 14, 2014 07:48AM
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Night at the Museum
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • Mutiny on the Bounty (The Bounty Trilogy, #1)
  • The Black Arrow
  • Captains Courageous
  • Robin Hood (Grandes Aventuras)
  • King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales
  • Robin Hood
  • A Floating City
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Mysteries of Paris
  • Sherwood (Sherwood, #1)
  • The Viceroys
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • Robin Hood
  • La Dame aux Camélias
  • The Little Mermaid
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no...more
More about Alexandre Dumas...
The Count of Monte Cristo The Three Musketeers The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3) Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances, #2) The Black Tulip