Start by marking “10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health” as Want to Read:
10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health

10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Are you spiritually healthy or just spiritually busy?This book's 10 probing questions will help you look beyond your spiritual activity to assess the true state of your spiritual health and help you on your journey of spiritual transformation. See how the spiritual disciplines--including prayer, worship, and meditation--can take your spiritual health from fair to excellent ...more
Published May 4th 2001 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published May 2001)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health

This book is helpful for just about anyone in the christian faith whether you are in the peaks or in the valley. I've often said the hardest thing to do in life is walk with God in a world that hates him. (by him I mean the God of Bible not the one people make up for themselves).

The chapters:

1: Do you thirst for God?
2: Are you governed increasingly by God's word?
3: Are you more loving?
4: Are you more sensitive to God's presence?
5: Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual & temporal n
Complacency in our faith in God is a failing faith. It takes work to grow in our closeness to God. These questions help one see the importance to having a closer walk with God. To succeed in anything else we know it takes work, but why do we think we doing just fine to warm a spot on a pew and do nothing else. I want to grow in my faith in God and that is why I bought this book. The questions are good questions that challenge one's understanding of our spiritual health. I remember a few years ag ...more
I liked this short 112 page book because it caused me to take a good look at my thoughts and actions - not always a pleasant experience, but necessary for those who want to grow more like Christ.

The author Donald Whitney writes, "In our day, as in theirs [the Puritans], the timeless process of discerning one's spiritual health involves questions and tests. My purpose in writing these pages is to act as a physician of the soul - to ask questions and suggest spiritual tests that can, by the help
I left this book on the shelf for some time as past experience has shown similar books to often be written with a legalistic bent. Ah, how happy I was to see this book, by Mr. Whitney, was of a different sort. It was written with great care, clearity, and above all, Biblical soundness. The questions are relevant (noted below) and the helps offered are Scriptually accurate.

Not gonna lie, when I saw all the positive reviews this book had I really wanted to be the first one to hate it. However, this book is positive, helpful, and well written, and succeeds in it's mission of allowing Christians to evaluate and grow their spiritual wellfare. It also succeeds in being both convicting and inoffensive. There was nothing particularly theologically difficult or controversial here, just ten questions that literally every Christian should ask themselves and answer honestly. ...more
Rob Sumrall
How is your spiritual life, Christian?

Most people would respond to such a question with mixed responses. In some areas we are doing well. In other areas we struggle greatly. In both responses we would probably include all sorts of caveats, justifying our struggles and hedging our bets on our successes.

In Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health, Donald Whitney takes on the role of spiritual doctor and guides the leader through a self-diagnosis of their own spiritual health. He offers up t
JoAnn Bell
While a good book for checking in on your growth as a Christian. I found several parts that use the wrong interpretation of scripture. Whitney seems to think repentance is more than just turning from sin. Therefore, giving one reason to believe he must keep doing it.

The whole chapter of "grieving for your sin" makes one think Jesus sacrifice was not good enough to cover you must feel condemned (aka grieved) when you mess up. The Bible clearly states the God sees us as righteous because
A great book. Somewhat paradoxically, though the phrase 'not good enough' kept reoccurring mentally, it was a very encouraging read.
Mike E.
Over the years I have used the central question from each of the chapters for small group discussions, one-on-one discipleship, etc.

1: Do you thirst for God?
2: Are you governed increasingly by God's word?
3: Are you more loving?
4: Are you more sensitive to God's presence?
5: Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual & temporal needs of others?
6: Do you delight in the bride of christ?
7: Are the spiritual disciplines increasingly important to you?
8: Do you still grieve over sin?
9: Are you
Gavin Breeden
This book lives up to the promise of its title. Whitney asks questions that I've heard and used for years (and some that I haven't) to get the reader to think about their spiritual health. Questions like, Am I more loving to others than I used to be? Do I hate my sin more? Do I love the church more? Do I love Jesus more? Do I love the Word more? Do I forgive people faster than I used to? And so on.

Whitney asks probing questions to get you to really apply these questions to your life. In the proc
Jacob Coldwell
Ten Questions to Diagnose your Spiritual Health

“Let your delight in imitating God be enough, regardless of the response your loving initiatives receive.” (p. 53)

This brief overview of ten questions for evaluation of one’s spiritual health is somewhat surprising to expound more fully on simply answering the question of the chapter. Donald Whitney dazed me by giving support through application to the answer a question. The book ends up being pretty straight forward to see the multiple angles of su
Mandy J. Hoffman

Have you, like myself, wondered about your spiritual growth? Have you wished for a way to know whether you are growing in your walk with God or not? If so, this is a book you will enjoy! Whitney's 10 question guide will help you diagnose your spiritual health and in some cases, it may be the tool that diagnosis whether there is life at all.

I first heard about this book from several teachers at a Biblical counseling conference and was immediately intrigued by the idea of being able to
I read this book about 10 years ago and I can honestly say that I was yet pleasantly surprised how much this book opened the eyes of my understanding. The author poses 10 questions we need to ask ourselves regarding the health of our Christian walk. Each question, demands a response, and also points us toward practical ways to readjust our focus toward allowing that growth to happen. Growth takes time and is not a microwave process. Mediating and praying the word allow for this growth to happen ...more
Excellent book. So good, in fact, that I bought the book and study guided based on the disciplines that we are to assess. This is a book that I'll be pulling out every so often as a refresher for myself to help me keep in the focus THE FOCUS.
I'm grateful for this book, for it provoked me to love and good works.
Really good book for newer or veteran Christians. For newer ones, lots of sound advice. For those who've been in the faith much longer, there are still good sound principles to contemplate. Each chapter offers an area of faith to consider and weigh in terms of your own life and experience. I could see using this book as a guidebook for those who may wonder if they are getting involved in a cult as opposed to biblical Christianity.
Nothing too earth-shattering in this book on sanctification from a Christian perspective. However, I did appreciate his chapter on forgiveness.

His thoughts on being ready to forgive versus extending forgiveness were thought-provoking. Do we forgive and forget? Do we forgive people who have never sought forgiveness? Good questions.
This book is quite helpful, though it is written from a Reformed position. Each chapter presents a unique challenge to consider in light of spiritual growth. My favorite chapter is probably Delighting in the Bride of Christ because it challenged me to delight in church instead of viewing church as a duty. I highly recommend this book to everybody.
Useful guideposts for the reader who likes lists, with such chapter themes as "Do you have a growing concern for the spiritual and temporal needs of others?" and "Are you more sensitive to God's Presence?" Sub-points are highlighted in text, and are almost uniformly helpful in self-diagnosis or self-examination.
Our small group worked through this book for our summer study in 2007. The exercise was well recieved. I found the book to be clear and well written, the Biblical interpretation spot on and the subject matter challenging. I was also pleased at the level of discussion/ interaction we had as a group.
Emily Rickert
excellent! convicting & encouraging. great book to read as a new year approaches.
Jul 10, 2009 Susan is currently reading it
I've just begun this book. I think it's been called Richard Foster-light or Dallas Willard-light. Both my pastor & my friend who is a former pastor LOVE this author's books on Spiritual Disciplines (which I'll be reading next.)
Chuck Williams
Very practical work on useful questions to assess one's spiritual growth. I particularly enjoyed the last chapter on one's longing for heaven and a desire to see God and His holiness.
I loved this book because it probed my heart. I should reread this once a year just to have God challenge me in my walk with him.
Really good questions to help you gauge where you are in your walk, why, and how to address it.
Jeff Noble
Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health by Donald S. Whitney (?)
It kind of petered out toward the end, but it was still worth reading.
Jay Budzilowski
Convicting and full of truth....This book gives 10 questions to live by
Excellent book, a practical way to diagnose your spirutal vituatlity
Enjoyed the explainations of each dicipline and the why.
Reformed Readers: Ten Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health 10 23 Feb 24, 2013 06:33PM
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • The World-Tilting Gospel: Embracing a Biblical Worldview & Hanging on Tight
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • The Quest for Character
  • Can I Have Joy In My Life? (Crucial Questions, #12)
  • Suffering and the Sovereignty of God
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • Idols of the Heart: Learning to Long for God Alone
  • Money, Possessions and Eternity
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
Since 2005, Don Whitney has been Associate Professor of Biblical Spirituality at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, where he also serves as Senior Associate Dean. Before that, he held a similar position (the first such position in the six Southern Baptist seminaries) at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Missouri, for ten years. He
More about Donald S. Whitney...

“Too much attention to a particular sin or sins, and/or too little attention to communion with God (two things that often occur in tandem) inevitably shrivel the soul of a Christian.” 0 likes
“If you are a Christian, two people live in your body - you and the Holy Spirit...And the Holy Spirit is not passive within you.” 0 likes