Start by marking “Christian Reflections” as Want to Read:
Christian Reflections

Christian Reflections

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Shortly after his conversion in 1929, C. S. Lewis wrote to a friend, When all is said (and truly said) about the divisions of Christendom, there remains, by God's mercy, an enormous common ground. From that time on, Lewis thought that the best service he could do for his unbelieving neighbors was to explain and defend the belief that has been common to nearly all Christian ...more
Published February 27th 1967 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Christian Reflections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christian Reflections

Philip
Though by his own admission, Lewis is no theologian, his essays and speeches on the Christian views of various topics will be valuable to any Christian reader. Is this work as cohesive as "Mere Christianity" or as witty as "Screwtape"? Certainly not. This work does two things: (1) It broadens our understanding of Lewis' thought. (2) It provides us with deep probing thoughts on the matters addressed.

In this work, Lewis deals with a Christian approach to literature and aesthetics, an apologetic fo
John Martindale
Oh how good it was to read Lewis again!

Christian Reflections is a collection of the following essays and speeches:

"Christianity and Literature"

"Christianity and Culture"

"Religion: Reality or Substitute"

"On Ethics"

"De Futilitate"

"The Poison of Subjectivism"

"The Funeral of a Great Myth"

"On Church Music"

"Historicism"

"The Psalms"

"The Language of Religion"

"Petitionary Prayer: A Problem Without an Answer"

"Modern Theology and Biblical Criticism"

"The Seeing Eye"

When I am in the mood, i hop
Landree Rennpage
CS Lewis is, hands down, one of my favorite authors, ever since I was a little girl. I could not have read these essays as a little girl, that's for sure, mostly because I wouldn't have had any idea what he was saying. I'm almost 30 now, and I know some of it went over my head, but certainly not all of it. These essays are generally replies to criticisms of Lewis' letters or his works, with a few speeches for like minded audiences. I particularly enjoyed his essay On Church Music, and found myse ...more
§--
Lewis' essays are a treasure, a gift to civilization. This little collection centers around three or four natural theology essays that argue that the world's intelligibility requires its goodness, its rationality. From this it follows that there is Someone Behind It. Lewis argues marvelously, and without pretension.

Rather than publishing his essays in a million little collections, there should just be a Theological Works of CS Lewis published.

Lewis is indispensable.
Daniel
This is a collection of different essays and talks that Lewis gave during his life. Many of the topics are quite timely for our culture, particularly the chapter on subjectivism. This reminds me how many of the challenges we face in the world today are not new, and Lewis's keen insight into humanity is very striking.

Many of the other topics are more timeless, i.e. the problem of petitionary prayers that seem to go unanswered.
Rob
A good collection of Lewis' essays. A few of the essays were very good. Specifically I found 'De Futilitate' and 'The Poison of Subjectivism' to be more than worth some of the less exciting 2 and 3 star essays. A worthy read, but maybe not the first works of Lewis to pick up.
Marianna
Dec 27, 2010 Marianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lewis' fans
Shelves: christianity
This is not Lewis at his best - perhaps too technical, too elaborated, sometimes one feels that he is going a long way round to say something he could have said (and did say, elsewhere) in a shorter and more elegant way. But for Lewis' fans it is still a very interesting reading, for it shows the fabric, the machinery of Lewis' thought, always precise and incisive, honest and humble. His personality, his temperament show very well in these papers. The themes are familiar - Christianity and Liter ...more
John
Apr 18, 2012 John added it
This was the first I had read through this collection of essays by Lewis. There are some real gems: "Christianity and Literature" is wonderfully insightful; "Christianity and Culture" is a solid essay, but dated and absent of much of the Christ and Culture discussions even of his day; "Religion: Reality or Substitute" is very quotable, quite substantial in parts; "Historicism" is great, almost a bit like Carl Trueman; "Moden Theology and Biblical Criticism" undermines much of modern theology as ...more
Brian
A brilliant man and a brilliant book. The first chapter on Christianity and Literature is brilliant and should be read by everyone attempting 'creativity'; there is very real Trinitarian theology behind it.

His discussion of culture is really well balanced and should be model for us and I am always surprised when I read his opinions on Church music. Lewis, the layman champion, does not like mere joyful noise.

Language of Religion is another brilliant work that I think inspired several things I lea
Nate Walker
Lewis is so learned, and incredibly relevant. The essays on culture, ethics, and subjectivism are especially good.
Mark
Excellent collection of essays/speeches. Still very relevant in today's world.
Kiaro
It was pretty good. I learned a lot about my faith. Lewis was very good at putting faith into analogies and I think that helped connect things a lot. Lost a point because oftentimes Lewis would stray from the main idea, but overall, a good read.
Weston
Excellent book. I will most likely revisit this one in a few years to see what additional ideas I can gain from it.
Rachael
This is a collection of a variety of CS Lewis writings. As always, he does not disappoint. If you own nearly every CS Lewis book written and want more, this is one source you can turn to.
Brandon
I believe this is where I read the quote, "The fact that the ship is sinking is no reason for allowing her to be a floating hell while she still floats." I like it, Clive!
Mike
In this collection Lewis covers a wide range of topics. As always, his writing is clear and logical.
Pat
CSL the old crank has equal part with CSL the visionary theologian. But don't take my word for it!
Joshua Nuckols
Some really good essays, and some seemingly irrelevant to my life.
Douglas Wilson
Great. Also read in October of 1983. Also read in March of 1980.
Dane
Lewis is always easily accessible and this was no exception.
Katharine
Another thought-provoking work from C.S. Lewis.
Annie
Jul 10, 2012 Annie marked it as to-read
Shelves: culture
Another happy thrift store find.
Andy
Aug 20, 2012 Andy added it
Shelves: owned
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Justin M.
Justin M. marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Karyn Perrine
Karyn Perrine marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition
  • The Church at the End of the Twentieth Century: Including The Church Before the Watching World
  • Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth
  • The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 1 : Prolegomena
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • Christ and Culture Revisited
  • The Christian Mind: How Should a Christian Think?
  • God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (with the Complete Text of the End for Which God Created the World)
  • No Place for Truth: Or, Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind
  • A Jonathan Edwards Reader
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • The Christian Theology Reader
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

“A man is never so proud as when striking an attitude of humility.” 11 likes
“The avoiding, in many times and places, has proved so difficult that a very large part of the human race failed to achieve it. But in our own time and place it is extremely easy.

Avoid silence, avoid solitude, avoid any train of thought that leads off the beaten track. Concentrate on money, sex, status, health and (above all) on your own grievances. Keep the radio on. Live in a crowd. Use plenty of sedation. If you must read books, select them very carefully, but you’d be safer to stick to the papers. You’ll find the advertisements helpful; especially those with a sexy or snobbish appeal.”
4 likes