Christian Reflections

Christian Reflections

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  22 reviews
C.S. Lewis had the unusual ability to use, with scintillating brillance, the resources of wit and learning in the service of the Christian faith. While many readers are familiar with Lewiss full-length books, fewer have had opportunity to sample the diverse range of his shorter, more concise writings. The wide variety of his interests is clearly evident in Christian Reflec...more
Published February 27th 1967 by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.

Philip
Though by his own admission, Lewis is no theologian, his essays and speeches on the Christian views of various topics will be valuable to any Christian reader. Is this work as cohesive as "Mere Christianity" or as witty as "Screwtape"? Certainly not. This work does two things: (1) It broadens our understanding of Lewis' thought. (2) It provides us with deep probing thoughts on the matters addressed.

In this work, Lewis deals with a Christian approach to literature and aesthetics, an apologetic fo...more
John Martindale
Oh how good it was to read Lewis again!

Christian Reflections is a collection of the following essays and speeches:

"Christianity and Literature"

"Christianity and Culture"

"Religion: Reality or Substitute"

"On Ethics"

"De Futilitate"

"The Poison of Subjectivism"

"The Funeral of a Great Myth"

"On Church Music"

"Historicism"

"The Psalms"

"The Language of Religion"

"Petitionary Prayer: A Problem Without an Answer"

"Modern Theology and Biblical Criticism"

"The Seeing Eye"

When I am in the mood, i hop...more
Landree Rennpage
CS Lewis is, hands down, one of my favorite authors, ever since I was a little girl. I could not have read these essays as a little girl, that's for sure, mostly because I wouldn't have had any idea what he was saying. I'm almost 30 now, and I know some of it went over my head, but certainly not all of it. These essays are generally replies to criticisms of Lewis' letters or his works, with a few speeches for like minded audiences. I particularly enjoyed his essay On Church Music, and found myse...more
§--
Lewis' essays are a treasure, a gift to civilization. This little collection centers around three or four natural theology essays that argue that the world's intelligibility requires its goodness, its rationality. From this it follows that there is Someone Behind It. Lewis argues marvelously, and without pretension.

Rather than publishing his essays in a million little collections, there should just be a Theological Works of CS Lewis published.

Lewis is indispensable.
Daniel
This is a collection of different essays and talks that Lewis gave during his life. Many of the topics are quite timely for our culture, particularly the chapter on subjectivism. This reminds me how many of the challenges we face in the world today are not new, and Lewis's keen insight into humanity is very striking.

Many of the other topics are more timeless, i.e. the problem of petitionary prayers that seem to go unanswered.
Johnny
A wonderful collection with half-dozen plus previously unpublished articles, lectures, etc. - not to mention another group from extinct publications you couldn't lay your mitts on for love nor money. Hooper's notes are superlative. If you're a Lewis fan, it's a must. Go for it!
-Johnny - from Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Rob
A good collection of Lewis' essays. A few of the essays were very good. Specifically I found 'De Futilitate' and 'The Poison of Subjectivism' to be more than worth some of the less exciting 2 and 3 star essays. A worthy read, but maybe not the first works of Lewis to pick up.
Marianna
Dec 27, 2010 Marianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lewis' fans
Shelves: christianity
This is not Lewis at his best - perhaps too technical, too elaborated, sometimes one feels that he is going a long way round to say something he could have said (and did say, elsewhere) in a shorter and more elegant way. But for Lewis' fans it is still a very interesting reading, for it shows the fabric, the machinery of Lewis' thought, always precise and incisive, honest and humble. His personality, his temperament show very well in these papers. The themes are familiar - Christianity and Liter...more
John
Apr 18, 2012 John added it
This was the first I had read through this collection of essays by Lewis. There are some real gems: "Christianity and Literature" is wonderfully insightful; "Christianity and Culture" is a solid essay, but dated and absent of much of the Christ and Culture discussions even of his day; "Religion: Reality or Substitute" is very quotable, quite substantial in parts; "Historicism" is great, almost a bit like Carl Trueman; "Moden Theology and Biblical Criticism" undermines much of modern theology as...more
Brian
A brilliant man and a brilliant book. The first chapter on Christianity and Literature is brilliant and should be read by everyone attempting 'creativity'; there is very real Trinitarian theology behind it.

His discussion of culture is really well balanced and should be model for us and I am always surprised when I read his opinions on Church music. Lewis, the layman champion, does not like mere joyful noise.

Language of Religion is another brilliant work that I think inspired several things I lea...more
Nate Walker
Lewis is so learned, and incredibly relevant. The essays on culture, ethics, and subjectivism are especially good.
Mark
Excellent collection of essays/speeches. Still very relevant in today's world.
Kiaro
It was pretty good. I learned a lot about my faith. Lewis was very good at putting faith into analogies and I think that helped connect things a lot. Lost a point because oftentimes Lewis would stray from the main idea, but overall, a good read.
Rachael
This is a collection of a variety of CS Lewis writings. As always, he does not disappoint. If you own nearly every CS Lewis book written and want more, this is one source you can turn to.
Brandon
I believe this is where I read the quote, "The fact that the ship is sinking is no reason for allowing her to be a floating hell while she still floats." I like it, Clive!
Mike
In this collection Lewis covers a wide range of topics. As always, his writing is clear and logical.
Pat
CSL the old crank has equal part with CSL the visionary theologian. But don't take my word for it!
Joshua Nuckols
Some really good essays, and some seemingly irrelevant to my life.
Douglas Wilson
Great. Also read in October of 1983. Also read in March of 1980.
Dane
Lewis is always easily accessible and this was no exception.
Katharine
Another thought-provoking work from C.S. Lewis.
Annie
Jul 10, 2012 Annie marked it as to-read
Shelves: culture
Another happy thrift store find.
Andy
Aug 20, 2012 Andy added it
Shelves: owned
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Angelina Biron-schuch
Angelina Biron-schuch marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Analyn
Analyn marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kimberly Anstaett
Kimberly Anstaett marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Thomas Greenlee
Thomas Greenlee is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Justin Steckbauer
Justin Steckbauer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • The Christian Mind: How Should a Christian Think?
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • Why I Am a Christian
  • Christ and Culture Revisited
  • A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Swans Are Not Silent, #3)
  • Who Moved the Stone?: A Skeptic Looks at the Death and Resurrection of Christ
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • Jesus and the Victory of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #2)
  • Creed or Chaos?: Why Christians Must Choose Either Dogma or Disaster (Or, Why It Really Does Matter What You Believe)
  • The Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalog
  • Worldly Saints: The Puritans as They Really Were
  • Jack's Life: The Life Story Of C.S. Lewis
  • Baptism And Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today (IVP Classics)
  • Christ and Culture
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)

“A man is never so proud as when striking an attitude of humility.” 11 likes
“The avoiding, in many times and places, has proved so difficult that a very large part of the human race failed to achieve it. But in our own time and place it is extremely easy.

Avoid silence, avoid solitude, avoid any train of thought that leads off the beaten track. Concentrate on money, sex, status, health and (above all) on your own grievances. Keep the radio on. Live in a crowd. Use plenty of sedation. If you must read books, select them very carefully, but you’d be safer to stick to the papers. You’ll find the advertisements helpful; especially those with a sexy or snobbish appeal.”
4 likes