Start by marking “Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson: History, Memory, and Civic Culture” as Want to Read:
Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson: History, Memory, and Civic Culture

Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson: History, Memory, and Civic Culture (Jeffersonian America)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The publication of DNA test results showing that Thomas Jefferson was probably the father of one of his slave Sally Hemings's children has sparked a broad but often superficial debate. The editors of this volume have assembled some of the most distinguished American historians, including three Pulitzer Prize winners, and other experts on Jefferson, his times, race, and sla ...more
Published October 29th 1999 by University of Virginia Press (first published October 22nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson

Phillip
Apr 02, 2012 Phillip rated it it was ok
Meh. I read some of the essays in this book for a project I don't particularly want to do for a class I'm not getting much out of, but am required to take.
Basically, the project is going to be looking at the stories people told about Sally Hemings before the 1998 DNA evidence that Jefferson fathered some of her children. I am not interested in TJ or early American studies, so this project, and therefore this book did not interest me.

However, on a more objective note, the essays I read were fairl
Candace Lazzaro
This is a set of essays regarding *who else* but Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson. It's an interesting collection, looking at the mind set of the American South and the black slave, with a strong empathize on the relationship between Jefferson and Sally Hemings, his slave (who was also his dead-wife's half-sister.) Some of the essays were a bit hard to read, both in form and with the subject at hand, but coming from different authors gave much more depth to the "discussion" then having just on ...more
Marley
Oct 26, 2012 Marley rated it it was amazing
This is the second and maybe third time I've read this marvelous book, and I can't recommend it enough. The book is a collection of papers delivered in Charlottesville in 1999 and covers much much more than Jefferson and Hemings. It's about the role or race, culture in the US and the myths we live by. Each essay is a gem. It's hard to pick one that stands out, but Jack Rakov's Our Jefferson may be it. If I could give it 6 stars I would.
Rebecca Dunbar
Oct 05, 2013 Rebecca Dunbar rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. An important and multifaceted analysis of Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings, and of what the paternity of Thomas Jefferson to Hemings' descendants means for American history and civic culture.
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Erika Morris christensen
Erika Morris christensen marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Rayna
Rayna marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Aurelie06902
Aurelie06902 rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Elliott
Elliott marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Wendy Wong Schirmer
Wendy Wong Schirmer rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Laura Kamoie
Laura Kamoie rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Sherri Anderson
Sherri Anderson rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
E Frances
E Frances rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Arlene
Arlene rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Daniela
Daniela rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Wisteria Leigh
Wisteria Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Jd
Jd added it
Apr 19, 2014
Jena
Jena rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Jd1284
Jd1284 added it
Jul 28, 2013
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Stephanie Stepp
Stephanie Stepp marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Nina Wilson
Nina Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Melissa Jean
Melissa Jean marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Jonathan Brantley
Jonathan Brantley rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012

Jeffersonian America (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Jefferson's Empire: The Language of American Nationhood
  • Principle and Interest: Thomas Jefferson and the Problem of Debt
  • The Revolution of 1800: Democracy, Race, and the New Republic
  • Thomas Jefferson's Military Academy: Founding West Point
  • Thomas Jefferson: Reputation and Legacy
  • The Work of the Heart: Young Women and Emotion, 1780-1830
  • Let a Common Interest Bind Us Together: Associations, Partisanship, and Culture in Philadelphia, 1775-1840
  • Slavery, Freedom, and Expansion in the Early American West
  • The Making and Unmaking of a Revolutionary Family: The Tuckers of Virginia, 1752-1830
  • Red Gentlemen and White Savages: Indians, Federalists, and the Search for Order on the American Frontier