Fishing For Dummies (Miniature Editions for Dummies (Running Press))

Fishing For Dummies (Miniature Editions for Dummies (Running Press))

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Fish not biting? Go back to the basics! This pocket-size book tells you where to catch fish, what type of bait works best, and what type of gear you need. Also includes quick-reference pages for deciding when you should go fishing and when you should stay home, and matching your lure to your rod and line. More For Dummies Miniature Editions�
Published September 6th 1999 by Running Press Miniature Editions (first published April 10th 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Fishing For Dummies (Miniature Editions for Dummies

Craig
Great book for beginners or those who want to try a different species/environment than what they are used to.
Chris
As a complete novice fisherman with only an hour or so of on-the-lake training from an experienced angler, I was baffled to go into Bass Pro and see just how much STUFF there could be for fishing. A ton of terms that made no sense. Bait out the wazoo.

This book was good for breaking down to me the different types of rods, reels, bait, rigs, etc., and a bit about how fish behave. I definitely feel like I'm not lost when I go in the store or read fishing articles.

Now, will it help me catch fish? I...more
Laura Gilfillan
I had a good time reading this book. Since I am not an ice fisher, I have to wait for appropriate weather to get out on the pier, or bank, or wherever I manage to get myself near water, with pole in hand. Since that doesn't happen enough, even with nice weather, it was fun to at least be able to read about fishing. Picked up some tidbits I didn't realize too, and it inspired me to give circle hooks a try.
Brian
A very good guide for the beginner angler, but I would have liked to have seen more information on techniques with specific types of lures and rigs. Also some tactics for common species rather than what amounts to mostly a detailed identification guide in the chapters covering the fish themselves. There is almost no information on habits of specific species.
ASV Birkenau
A reasonable introduction to the basics of fishing which helps the novice understand some of the jargon which experienced anglers tend to use and which is a barrier for the newcomer trying to work out whjat is going on. Recommended for beginners.
Mark Yoshida
Good introduction to fishing as a hobby, diversion, and sport. Covers pretty much everything one would need to know. Conveys some of the excitement and appeal of actually fishing.
Spencer
Jul 30, 2007 Spencer rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who havent attended school
this book treats you like you dont know what a stupid pole looks like.
we are not as dumb as this book makes out
0/10000. absolute bull shit
Megan
focussed too much on casting etc. -- I'm into trolling on a lake. Oh well, everything else was awesome.
Jill
Too basic so it beomes hard to decipher between useful information and just basic material.
Jesse
Jul 18, 2007 Jesse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fish; dummies
I read this book and caught seven dummies! Three were too small; threw 'em back.
PWRL
Jun 30, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
E
North York
North York marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Jen Delong
Jen Delong is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2014
John Carnegie
John Carnegie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Michael Jones
Michael Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Wakeel Ur rehman
Wakeel Ur rehman marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Hape
Hape marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
James Parris
James Parris marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Paulwp
Paulwp marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Randi Hermann
Randi Hermann marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Culinary Intelligence: The Art of Eating Healthy (and Really Well) The Chew: Food. Life. Fun. Pig Perfect: Encounters with Remarkable Swine and Some Great Ways to Cook Them Bacon Nation: 125 Irresistible Recipes Fly Fishing for Dummies.