Start by marking “Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Featuring more than 150 activities, this guide teaches the styles, works, and techniques of the great masters—Van Gogh, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, and more—through innovative, hands-on, open-ended activities for children Kindergarten through Middle School (ages 6 to 13).
Published May 1st 1997 by Bright Ring Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Discovering Great Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovering Great Artists

Lisa Vegan
Sep 15, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, parents, teachers, youth programs – anyone interested in art or art history
I love this book! I won another book by this author (Great American Artists for Kids: Hands-On Art Experiences in the Styles of Great American Masters) from the Goodreads First Reads giveaway program. I’m still waiting to receive that book but while I’m waiting I borrowed this one from the library and I read it cover to cover.

This is a wonderful book of art activities for kids. The book says it’s for ages 4-12 and the art of children 5 to 12 is included in this book, and the art is beautiful. Th
Clarissa
A wonderful introduction to art history for children with terrific hands on art projects. There are brief biographies of the artists, followed by projects that reflect their style. I especially love the Van Gogh starry night project, and the Duchamp "happy accident string drop" project. The ideas in this book are for creative art projects, rather than craft projects in which everyone uses the exact same materials to produce identical results.

There is a glossary of art words, and an index of pro
Lori
I check out this book so often from the library I should purchase a copy for my own shelves. Discovering Great Artists is a fun book for teachers or librarians who want to provide art history and art lessons for kids. I believe this book,as well as many other books from the children's section,gives a great reference to teens and adults who want to learn more about the art masters and to learn the techniques first-hand. Kudos to MaryAnn F. Kohl and Kim Solga for creating their work of art in book ...more
Sally
This book highlights art history with relevant artists and techniques, and activities that imitate them. Simple things you can do at home, usually with materials you already have, but that inspire exploration and engender familiarity with artists and styles. We've enjoyed using activities from this book for a homeschool group.
Jenette
Fantastic book. Well written. Well laid out. Was my main curriculum source last year when a teacher asked me to come in and teach about the great masters in art in her classroom. So impressive was this book, that the teacher went and bought herself her own copy. Very much recommend for educators especially.
Kate Hastings
A favorite book for art-related programs. Many good picture books to tie-in with this like "When Pigasso met Mootise" and "Katie and the Sunflowers." There's also a really good one about the little girl and Mary Cassatt's dog.
Wendy Roberts
Awesome book...combines art history from medieval through modern, with hands-on ideas for letting kids try out artistic techniques and new ideas.
Kathleen O'Mara
May 21, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: homeschoolers
Recommended to Kathleen by: Catherine Kinslow
Returned to this book every year since I bought it. The art exercises are great for the kids, and I do one every now and then.
Sherry
Kohl, MaryAnn F.(1997). Discovering great artists: Hands-on art for children in the styles of the great masters. Bellingham, WA: Bright Ring Publishing.

Citation created by: Sherry Bouldin
Call Number: 372.5
Description: A handbook/biography. It’s a biography of some of the great masters of the art world. It’s a handbook to guide the creation of projects in their same style – pretty neat stuff!
Content/scope: Projects are geared to children ages 4-12 years.
Accuracy/Authority: MaryAnn Kohl is the aut
AnandaTashie
Visually, this one isn't as delightful as the Great American Artists for Kids book. It doesn't have color photos, and there isn't an art sample for most of the presented artists. (Google or other art books can be used in combination of course.) I found some of the art projects to be a bit plain or repetitious. But! It's still a really solid book with creative ideas overall. Each artist has a paragraph bio, plus an art project based on their work. If I counted correctly, there are around 80 artis ...more
Rebekah Leland
Can't wait to use this when my boys are just a few years older. Great ideas for kid art projects (I'm the least artsy person around, so I need a book to give me ideas) that imitate the styles of great artists.
Jan 30, 2014 Laura marked it as to-read
for homeschooling
Jenny
I think the only thing holding this back from 5 stars is the illustrations are not in color. Having said that, I am thrilled with this book. The art projects are all very doable for children, but are not dumbed down like a couple of other books I have encountered. There are many different styles represented like abstract, cubism, folk, modern, naturalism, realism, surrealism, cartoon and impressionism just to name a few.
Cindi
Jan 18, 2009 Cindi marked it as to-read
Shelves: art, own-it
Other great titles by this author through Melcat (search under MaryAnn, rather than Mary Ann)!

I'm really excited to use this book. It's a great introduction to art history, starting in the 1200's, the book introduces the artists and their methods accompanied by a project (simple and easy to obtain materials) and a sample of another child's work.
Karen L.
Mar 24, 2008 Karen L. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: home school families
Shelves: homeschool, art
This is really good! I love the short easy to follow lessons that cover an artist and technique, with easy to acquire supplies. This could work for elementary to high school age kids.
MaryAnn Kohl
Jun 21, 2009 MaryAnn Kohl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone with kids
Visit this URL for direct click to connections for each artist in this book with an example of a famous artwork by that artist:
Adrienne
This is a great reference for art projects, most are for younger kids but I found that many projects are easily adaptable to middle level and teens.

Lara
I love how this book sets up the order of artists chronologically, listing styles,projects, resources and great info in a concise and usable format.
Monique
Great ideas! I love art history, particularly European, so this book really excited me.
Teri
Good art ideas in the styles of famous artists. Nice supplement to some art history.
Anna
Great art project ideas with just a little information on the artist.
Carrie
I really like this book for art and look forward to using it again.
Robyn Schultz
Great inspiration for art projects in the classroom.
Zakarias
Dec 28, 2007 Zakarias marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: student
how to teach good art work for children
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Steph
Steph added it
Jan 14, 2015
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • The Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 Creative  Games & Activities To Occupy 2-6 Yr Olds
  • Drawing with Children
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • Monet
  • The Best Old Movies for Families: A Guide to Watching Together
  • The Burgess Bird Book for Children
  • Creative Lettering: Techniques & Tips from Top Artists
  • Baby Minds: Brain-Building Games Your Baby Will Love
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • One Zentangle A Day: A 6-Week Course in Creative Drawing for Relaxation, Inspiration, and Fun
  • Artist to artist: 23 Major Illustrators Talk to Children about Their Art
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
Kim Solga is an artist, writer, outdoors adventurer, art educator and arts ecommerce specialist. She writes handy how-to books on art and selling art and crafts online. View Kim's watercolors at http://www.solga.com.

Visit the site for Selling Arts and Crafts Online, her latest book, at http://www.selingartsandcraftsonline.com.
More about Kim Solga...
The Everything Guide to Selling Arts & Crafts Online: How to Sell on Etsy, Ebay, Your Storefront, and Everywhere Else Online Draw! Make Sculptures! Make Prints! Paint!