Start by marking “Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters” as Want to Read:

Featuring more than 150 activities, this guide teaches the styles, works, and techniques of the great masters—Van Gogh, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, and more—through innovative, hands-on, open-ended activities for children Kindergarten through Middle School (ages 6 to 13).
Published May 1st 1997 by Bright Ring Publishing (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Discovering Great Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discovering Great Artists

Ivonne Rovira
Mar 19, 2015 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: art and humanities teachers at every level
Don’t be fooled: Yes, Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters is aimed at elementary-school art teachers, but so many of the lessons are adaptable to high school art classes or even humanities classes. MaryAnn F. Kohl and Kim Solga has packed this slim book with lots of ideas to make everyone from Michelangelo to Wassily Kandinsky accessible to young people. This book is a work of art in itself.

Having borrowed the book, I went right out and bought
Lisa Vegan
Sep 15, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children, parents, teachers, youth programs – anyone interested in art or art history
I love this book! I won another book by this author (Great American Artists for Kids: Hands-On Art Experiences in the Styles of Great American Masters) from the Goodreads First Reads giveaway program. I’m still waiting to receive that book but while I’m waiting I borrowed this one from the library and I read it cover to cover.

This is a wonderful book of art activities for kids. The book says it’s for ages 4-12 and the art of children 5 to 12 is included in this book, and the art is beautiful. Th
Kate Hastings
Mar 24, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
A favorite book for art-related programs. Many good picture books to tie-in with this like "When Pigasso met Mootise" and "Katie and the Sunflowers." There's also a really good one about the little girl and Mary Cassatt's dog.
Clarissa
Nov 12, 2008 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
A wonderful introduction to art history for children with terrific hands on art projects. There are brief biographies of the artists, followed by projects that reflect their style. I especially love the Van Gogh starry night project, and the Duchamp "happy accident string drop" project. The ideas in this book are for creative art projects, rather than craft projects in which everyone uses the exact same materials to produce identical results.

There is a glossary of art words, and an index of pro
Lori
Oct 15, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing
I check out this book so often from the library I should purchase a copy for my own shelves. Discovering Great Artists is a fun book for teachers or librarians who want to provide art history and art lessons for kids. I believe this book,as well as many other books from the children's section,gives a great reference to teens and adults who want to learn more about the art masters and to learn the techniques first-hand. Kudos to MaryAnn F. Kohl and Kim Solga for creating their work of art in book ...more
Jenny
May 28, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I think the only thing holding this back from 5 stars is the illustrations are not in color. Having said that, I am thrilled with this book. The art projects are all very doable for children, but are not dumbed down like a couple of other books I have encountered. There are many different styles represented like abstract, cubism, folk, modern, naturalism, realism, surrealism, cartoon and impressionism just to name a few.
Sally
Feb 20, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homeschool
This book highlights art history with relevant artists and techniques, and activities that imitate them. Simple things you can do at home, usually with materials you already have, but that inspire exploration and engender familiarity with artists and styles. We've enjoyed using activities from this book for a homeschool group.
Jenette
Nov 16, 2011 Jenette rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Well written. Well laid out. Was my main curriculum source last year when a teacher asked me to come in and teach about the great masters in art in her classroom. So impressive was this book, that the teacher went and bought herself her own copy. Very much recommend for educators especially.
MaryAnn Kohl
Jun 21, 2009 MaryAnn Kohl rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone with kids
Visit this URL for direct click to connections for each artist in this book with an example of a famous artwork by that artist:
Wendy Roberts
Sep 07, 2009 Wendy Roberts rated it it was amazing
Awesome book...combines art history from medieval through modern, with hands-on ideas for letting kids try out artistic techniques and new ideas.
Kathleen O'Mara
May 21, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: homeschoolers
Recommended to Kathleen by: Catherine Kinslow
Returned to this book every year since I bought it. The art exercises are great for the kids, and I do one every now and then.
Sherry
Kohl, MaryAnn F.(1997). Discovering great artists: Hands-on art for children in the styles of the great masters. Bellingham, WA: Bright Ring Publishing.

Citation created by: Sherry Bouldin
Call Number: 372.5
Description: A handbook/biography. It’s a biography of some of the great masters of the art world. It’s a handbook to guide the creation of projects in their same style – pretty neat stuff!
Content/scope: Projects are geared to children ages 4-12 years.
Accuracy/Authority: MaryAnn Kohl is the aut
AnandaTashie
Jul 15, 2013 AnandaTashie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, 2013
Visually, this one isn't as delightful as the Great American Artists for Kids book. It doesn't have color photos, and there isn't an art sample for most of the presented artists. (Google or other art books can be used in combination of course.) I found some of the art projects to be a bit plain or repetitious. But! It's still a really solid book with creative ideas overall. Each artist has a paragraph bio, plus an art project based on their work. If I counted correctly, there are around 80 artis ...more
Lynnette
Jul 28, 2015 Lynnette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-children-s
Amazing! So many good ideas!
Rebekah Leland
Oct 21, 2014 Rebekah Leland rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to use this when my boys are just a few years older. Great ideas for kid art projects (I'm the least artsy person around, so I need a book to give me ideas) that imitate the styles of great artists.
Jan 30, 2014 Laura marked it as to-read
for homeschooling
Barb
Oct 11, 2014 Barb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
I was hoping to find more examples by great artists which isn't necessarily what this book gives you. But I did find some good ideas to try with the kids that I work with, so that was good. I appreciated the ratings of easiest to more difficult for each activity, so I could kind of weed out what would work for me. That being said, some the easiest ones appear challenging!
Cindi
Jan 18, 2009 Cindi marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-it, art
Other great titles by this author through Melcat (search under MaryAnn, rather than Mary Ann)!

I'm really excited to use this book. It's a great introduction to art history, starting in the 1200's, the book introduces the artists and their methods accompanied by a project (simple and easy to obtain materials) and a sample of another child's work.
Karen L.
Mar 24, 2008 Karen L. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: home school families
Shelves: homeschool, art
This is really good! I love the short easy to follow lessons that cover an artist and technique, with easy to acquire supplies. This could work for elementary to high school age kids.
Adrienne
Jul 13, 2011 Adrienne rated it really liked it
This is a great reference for art projects, most are for younger kids but I found that many projects are easily adaptable to middle level and teens.

Lara
Apr 08, 2008 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: artists
I love how this book sets up the order of artists chronologically, listing styles,projects, resources and great info in a concise and usable format.
Monique
Dec 06, 2009 Monique rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Great ideas! I love art history, particularly European, so this book really excited me.
Teri
Aug 03, 2010 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
Good art ideas in the styles of famous artists. Nice supplement to some art history.
Anna
May 31, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Great art project ideas with just a little information on the artist.
Carrie
Jul 13, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-s-cool
I really like this book for art and look forward to using it again.
Robyn Schultz
May 31, 2013 Robyn Schultz rated it liked it
Great inspiration for art projects in the classroom.
Zakarias
Dec 28, 2007 Zakarias marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: student
how to teach good art work for children
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Bakinggirl
Bakinggirl marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Lois
Lois rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2016
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Van Gogh
  • Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
  • Games for Writing: Playful Ways to Help Your Child Learn to Write
  • Drawing with Children
  • The Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year!
  • The Complete Home Learning Source Book: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology
  • Young at Art: Teaching Toddlers Self-Expression, Problem-Solving Skills, and an Appreciation for Art
  • Lives of the Artists: Masterpieces, Messes (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor (The Story of the World #1)
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Leonardo and the Flying Boy
  • First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1 & 2
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • The Write Start: A Guide to Nurturing Writing at Every Stage, from Scribbling to Forming Letters and Writing Stories
  • Ed Emberley's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book
Read more about me at my website if you wish.
http:// www. brightring. com
I write art books for children, parents, teachers, and homeschoolers.
And I love love love art for kids!!!

My blog:
More about MaryAnn F. Kohl...