Start by marking “Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World” as Want to Read:
Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World

Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World

What does it mean to be a disciple of Christ today? And are Christians really prepared for the answers? In Mere Discipleship, Lee Camp sets forth his vision of what it means to truly follow Christ, challenging Christians to put obedience to Jesus as Lord ahead of allegiances to all earthly authorities--be they nationalistic, political, economic, or cultural. Camp clearly l ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Brazos Press (first published December 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mere Discipleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mere Discipleship

Tom
Jun 30, 2008 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you read a good book and walk away. Other times you read a great book, but because of life..it just doesn’t get the opportunity to sink in. Yet there are times when you read a great book at the right time and feel refreshed, awakened, challenged and motivated to change some things in your life. This was one of those books and one of those times for me.

Professor Camp has written a deeply challenging book entitled Mere Discipleship. The book is broken up into 3 parts. Reenvisioning Disci
Robert Durough, Jr.
Sep 27, 2015 Robert Durough, Jr. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
It’s a shame that I’ve taken this long to pick up and read a copy of Lee C. Camp’s first book Mere Discipleship: Radical Christianity in a Rebellious World, now it it’s 2nd edition. I studied Political Theology under Camp’s in 2011 at Lipscomb University, and it was the most challenging and time consuming course in all my graduate studies, partly because I was quite ignorant in the ways of politics and felt like I noob. I was, however, already a pacifist, convinced of the necessity to love our e ...more
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2007 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's lee camp.
you can either read this book or take 5 classes from the man.
Doug
Mar 09, 2010 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: way-of-the-cross
I've been trying to find a treatment of "the way of the cross" that works across denominational traditions, especially something that might help conservative Reformed types. This one is very good, but it will still spook those in my circles, less than others, though. The middle part of this book, Part 2, is the strongest and most recommended. Camp gets so many things right. Of course, I part ways with him in his rejection of infant baptism, but he even says some interesting things there. There's ...more
We used this book in my senior bible class for discussions and class-related material. It had some interesting points about christianity and I thought it did a good job of touching on relevant subjects and issues. I really enjoyed the class and thought the discussions and presentations provided a firm sounding-board to voice our opinions and argue what we believed. It also opened my mind to a couple of different viewpoints that I hadn't considered before. I'd probably recommend this book.

*Taken
Jill
Mar 04, 2012 Jill rated it liked it
I thought the author made some good points about the intended transformative nature of Christianity. I especially liked the look at the "Constantinian cataract" and the idea of the Lord's Supper being representative of community and sharing. However, the writing is extremely repetitive. Not in a good, reemphasizing-a-previous-point kind of way. In an I've-already-read-almost-that-exact-samesentence-three-times-this-chatper kind of way.
Robyn
Nov 24, 2014 Robyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Helpful for US Evangelical Christians who are prepared to ask serious questions of their faith. Those exploring Christianity (without an evangelical background) will find it interesting, but not pitched to appeal to them.
Christians who are already socially and politically engaged will likely find this book shallow, unsurprising, and a little onerous.
Gwyneth
Mar 29, 2008 Gwyneth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book read for our Faith and Action class. Delves in to being a Christian as your primary identity, before your nationality. Strong thoughts on pacifism which provided some interesting discussions.
Nathan
Oct 16, 2013 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Mere Discipleship has the potential to completely change how you understand Christianity and what it means to be Christian. Camp offers solid rationale in rethinking the Gospel, Jesus, and discipleship. It is a must-read for any thinking Christian, especially those in the South.
Raborn
Jul 04, 2012 Raborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! If you want to read the Politics of Jesus by John Howard Yoder but feel intimidated, this book is for you! Camp studied under Yoder and seems to really make Yoder's thoughts accessible to everyone.
Chet Duke
Mar 29, 2016 Chet Duke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a challenging book. It identifies a Constantinian cataract behind American Christian practices. I hope more Christians will read this book and find useful the challenging message of radical discipleship.
Naomi
May 23, 2013 Naomi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if it weren't so repetitive and full of fluff, but he made some good points... when he wasn't being redundant.
Jonathan Huggins
Yes, yes, yes!
Oscar Hicks
Apr 18, 2011 Oscar Hicks rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a Historian, I cannot abide by any author who seeks to quote historical assumption as Historical fact. Such poorly researched material dilutes the over all worth of this message.
Charlesia
230.97 Camp
Carl A
Feb 12, 2015 Carl A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good challenging book. If you think you've got it all figured out, read this book and you will probably realize you don't.
Timothy Sipes
Apr 25, 2016 Timothy Sipes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very challenging! A need to read for anyone!
Jansen
Aug 26, 2012 Jansen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
A nice challenge to belief versus action, but I had problems agreeing that his view would solve the problems he brought up.
Randy
Anyone serious about what it means to actually follow Jesus in post-christendom postmodern America should read and reread this together in conversation with other serious disciples
Eric
Mar 15, 2011 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe that I haven't added this to my Read list before. It was by far the best book I read in I think 2004. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Frankie Wakefield
Frankie Wakefield rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2011
Adam Gracia
Adam Gracia rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Shane Fuller
Shane Fuller rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Kent Brown
Kent Brown rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Julius McCarter
Julius McCarter rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Naz Fatima
Naz Fatima rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Mike Ward
Mike Ward rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • Jesus in the Margins: Finding God in the Places We Ignore
  • Following Jesus: Biblical Reflections on Discipleship
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • One.Life: Jesus Calls, We Follow
  • Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures
  • The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church
  • Anarchy and Christianity
  • I Am a Follower: The Way, Truth, and Life of Following Jesus
  • Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship (Shapevine)
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
  • The Awakening of Hope: Why We Practice a Common Faith
  • Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • Practicing the Way of Jesus: Life Together in the Kingdom of Love
  • Practicing Passion: Youth and the Quest for a Passionate Church
  • A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders
  • Transforming Discipleship: Making Disciples a Few at a Time

“Jesus of Nazareth always comes asking disciples to follow him--not merely "accept him," not merely "believe in him," not merely "worship him," but to follow him: one either follows Christ, or one does not. There is no compartmentalization of the faith, no realm, no sphere, no business, no politic in which the lordship of Christ will be excluded. We either make him Lord of all lords, or we deny him as Lord of any.” 12 likes
“We need to stop telling our nonbelieving neighbors how wrong their way of life is, and we need to start showing the power of the gospel in the way we live.... Let me ask you: Which has greater power? Ten thousand people who fill the streets in front of abortion clinics and shame those seeking abortions, or ten thousand people in California who take to the state capital a petition they have signed stating they will take any unwanted child of any age, any color, any physical condition so that they can love that child in the name of Jesus Christ?” 0 likes