Start by marking “Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!” as Want to Read:
Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!

Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Commas and apostrophes aren?t the only punctuation marks that can cause big trouble if they?re put in the wrong place. Now, Truss and Timmons put hyphens, parentheses, quotation marks, periods, and more in the spotlight, showing how which marks you choose and where you put them can cause hilarious mix-ups.

Published August 21st 2008 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Twenty-Odd Ducks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty-Odd Ducks

Linda
Hyphens. Exclamation Marks. Periods. Question marks. Colons. Parentheses. Semi-Colons. Quotation marks. And yes, commas. Punctuation marks, make-all-the-difference, in the world when you read something? -OR- Punctuation marks make all the difference in the world when you read something. You get my drift.

Aimed at kids 8 and up, Lynne Truss takes an important piece of information and simplifies it so children can understand. And adults, too. She takes everyday thoughts and shows the importance of
Sarah Fletcher
I think some college kids and adults need to read this book as well. It teaches about punctuation and how it can change a sentence. On the left page, it has one form with a picture describing that, and on the right page, it has another rear form with a picture describing that one. For example:
Left page: The queen: without her, dinner is noisy.
Right page: The queen, without her dinner, is noisy.
Also, it has the different punctuation is in red.
Dolly
Sep 12, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older children and adults and grammar ninjas
I loved Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation and Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! (the children's version) by Lynne Truss, so this one was a hit as well. I loved the comic illustrations and format, but I would recommend it for older children and adults only. I found it somewhat difficult to explain the subtle nuances in the grammar to our girls (after all, they are only 3 and 5!), so we just enjoyed looking at the pictures toget ...more
Claire
I enjoyed the introduction to this book, it poses a good questino. It explains how punctuation are used in a fun exciting way, I loved the comparisons at the end. The different punctuation with the same words can completely change the meaning of text. I loved it. Excellent teaching resource.
Mary Meldrum
I love the way this book teaches punctuation. Very fun and entertaining and pointed. Becareful how you punctuate. Make sure you are saying what you want to say.
Susie
Cute book to help students understand the importance and effect of punctuation.
Andrea
This is a funny example on why punctuation is important. It shows you the different meanings that a sentence can carry if the punctuation is changed. I'd like this book in my collection.
Great introduction to punctuation fun!
Mandi
Really a great idea for a book! Each page opens up to the exact same sentence used twice only with different puctuation for each that completely changes the meaning of the sentence. And, although some of the examples were not the best, most were really great and very humorous. My kids loved it and definitely grasped the idea that punctuation does matter.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Again, this was okay but lacks the punch of Eats, Shoots & Leaves with the variety of punctuation types. It got especially lame with the ones where the punctuation is indicating inflection but could actually be read with the different meanings regardless of the . ? or ! I think it's definitely trying to hard and could have had funnier examples.
Rita
This book is a great book to explain punctuation marks and it's different usage. The book shows how the placement of the punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence. Also, with your students you can practice how to read with enthusiasm. This book is an easy read and I believe the students will enjoy the book.
Lesley
Another cleverly done children's book by Lynne Trusse and Bonnie Timmons about punctuation! The examples and illustrations are colorful and fun, and I like the list of explanations in the back of the book too. Cute letter to the teacher in the back of this book as well.
Miri
Oh, how I love Lynne Truss. A companion book to the children's version of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I think my favorite is this one:

"Do you know who came last night? Santa Claus," said my mom.

"Do you know who came last night?" Santa Claus said. "My mom."
babyhippoface
Although the red-bearded pirates spread is confusing, the rest of this book is great for helping kids (and adults) understand the importance of proper punctuation, and how improperly-placed punctuation can completely change the meaning of a sentence.
Theresa
found on a list of great picture books for kids, this book illustrates the power of puncutation and how it can change the meaning of the sentence. making things mean drastically different things. in a text on picture books for the classroom
booknerdkim
This is a picture book that demonstrates the importance of punctuation. With just a change of punctuation, the meaning of a sentence can be altered completely! Cute pictures, and a less painful way to learn grammar. :)
oplkids
The illustrations and text work together to show how punctuation marks can completely change the meaning of what is intended in a sentence. A fun way for youngsters to learn punctuation.
Kris
Great examples to show how punctuation affects the meaning of sentences. The letter at the end is terrific - either a love letter or a "Dear John" depending on how the punctuation is placed!
Katherine
A nice children's introduction to the idea of how important punctuation is. It certainly got me and my 12-year-old literary son interested in reading her best-seller for adults.
Kena Kump
Very cute. A great way to teach punctuation to kids by showing different meanings for similar sentences. However, I felt the mediocre illustrations detracted from the cute idea.
Fariba Aadelvand
A very witty way of using punctuation and with many ex's. Illustrations are awesome. Great for comparison and discussion. Can be used over a long period of time
Jessica
I did not enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed Eats, Shoots & Leaves. It was still wonderfully written and illustrated and very useful in a middle school classroom.
Rae
I found this book entertaining and actually laughed out loud! It was so witty! This book is by far the best teacher of punctuation marks that I have ever seen.
Shelli
Wonderful job of explaining why punctuation matters! A silly fun way to help your kids with proper punctuation and pronunciation when reading.
Jan
Bonnie Timmons' creative genius for drawing just the perfectly apt illustration makes the grammar concepts clear and funny.

Six stars!
Kay
Jul 27, 2011 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Cute, funny way to make the point that paying attention to punctuation matters. Not for small children.
Julie
Great resource to put in the editing station of writing workshop!
Emely
This one was good but not as good as the first one about commas.
lola Franco
a great book to introduce children to the power of punctuation.
Annette Steele
Similar to the other Lynne Truss books. See my reviews to those.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • Punctuation Takes a Vacation
  • Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • The Road to Oz: Twists, Turns, Bumps, and Triumphs in the Life of L. Frank Baum
  • Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Gleam and Glow
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell
  • Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others
  • The Extraordinary Mark Twain (According To Susy)
  • The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through Our Sumptuous Lexicon
  • Anne Frank
Lynne Truss is a writer and journalist who started out as a literary editor with a blue pencil and then got sidetracked. The author of three novels and numerous radio comedy dramas, she spent six years as the television critic of The Times of London, followed by four (rather peculiar) years as a sports columnist for the same newspaper. She won Columnist of the Year for her work for Women's Journal ...more
More about Lynne Truss...
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! Eats, Shoots and Leaves 2007 The Girl's Like Spaghetti: Why, You Can't Manage without Apostrophes!