Start by marking “Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!” as Want to Read:
Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!

Twenty-Odd Ducks: Why, Every Punctuation Mark Counts!

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  243 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Commas and apostrophes aren't the only punctuation marks that can cause big trouble if they're put in the wrong place. Now, Truss and Timmons put hyphens, parentheses, quotation marks, periods, and more in the spotlight, showing how which marks you choose and where you put them can cause hilarious mix-ups.

Published August 21st 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Twenty-Odd Ducks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty-Odd Ducks

Angela Galvin
Mar 21, 2015 Angela Galvin rated it really liked it
Twenty-Odd Ducks by Lynne Truss is a story about punctuation marks. The story emphasizes the importance of punctuation. The book delivers the message regarding punctuation keeping words in group orders and sets the tone for the reader. The story has two pages with each containing a different meaning but the similar punctuation. For example, the page has a picture of a little boy sitting between his two parents, content. The wording states “These are Jack’s parents; who could be happier? “. The s ...more
Sarah Fletcher
Sep 14, 2014 Sarah Fletcher rated it it was amazing
I think some college kids and adults need to read this book as well. It teaches about punctuation and how it can change a sentence. On the left page, it has one form with a picture describing that, and on the right page, it has another rear form with a picture describing that one. For example:
Left page: The queen: without her, dinner is noisy.
Right page: The queen, without her dinner, is noisy.
Also, it has the different punctuation is in red.
Chelsea Rusch
Jul 08, 2016 Chelsea Rusch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-614
Twenty-Odd Ducks is a hilarious way to teach the importance of using proper punctuation to students. It will also do a great job of teaching students how to read punctuation when reading on their own. On each opening is the same sentence on both pages; however, the punctuation in each sentence changes the meaning. The illustrations match the sentences to help students see how the meanings are different. My favorite pair of sentences is "These are Jack's parents; who could be happier?" and "These ...more
Linda
Hyphens. Exclamation Marks. Periods. Question marks. Colons. Parentheses. Semi-Colons. Quotation marks. And yes, commas. Punctuation marks, make-all-the-difference, in the world when you read something? -OR- Punctuation marks make all the difference in the world when you read something. You get my drift.

Aimed at kids 8 and up, Lynne Truss takes an important piece of information and simplifies it so children can understand. And adults, too. She takes everyday thoughts and shows the importance of
Dolly
Sep 12, 2008 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older children and adults and grammar ninjas
I loved Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation and Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference! (the children's version) by Lynne Truss, so this one was a hit as well. I loved the comic illustrations and format, but I would recommend it for older children and adults only. I found it somewhat difficult to explain the subtle nuances in the grammar to our girls (after all, they are only 3 and 5!), so we just enjoyed looking at the pictures toget ...more
Ashlynn Johnson
Mar 12, 2015 Ashlynn Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-arts
The pictures that went along with the sentences were my favorite part. If you didn't understand the sentence just by reading it, you could look at the pictures and understand how they are different.
This book helps you learn when you are to use certain punctuation marks and what they mean. It's a great explanatory book.
Claire
Mar 31, 2014 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
I enjoyed the introduction to this book, it poses a good questino. It explains how punctuation are used in a fun exciting way, I loved the comparisons at the end. The different punctuation with the same words can completely change the meaning of text. I loved it. Excellent teaching resource.
Stacy Natal
How did I not know about this series of books to demonstrate the importance of punctuation? They are awesome. I loved reading them one on one with one of my third grade students.
Natalie
Mar 14, 2015 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book allows kids to learn about grammar in a comical and interesting way. I laughed at every page. It was so entertaining and very insightful on why grammar is important.
Mary Meldrum
Mar 21, 2014 Mary Meldrum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march
I love the way this book teaches punctuation. Very fun and entertaining and pointed. Becareful how you punctuate. Make sure you are saying what you want to say.
Quin
Jun 27, 2016 Quin rated it it was amazing
Twenty-Odd Ducks by Lynne Truss, shows that it's never too early to start learning about punctuation marks, and how to use them appropriately.
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian rated it really liked it
Just hilarious and a great way to illustrate to children why punctuation matters in writing and the importance of using it correctly.
Naomi
Apr 19, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
A fun book for teaching kids the difference in the punctuation marks. Illustrations were cute that were partnered with it.
Bailey
Nov 25, 2014 Bailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-arts
This was a fun little book that showed the difference simple punctuation can make in writing. I loved the illustrations too. Very fun!
Susie
Nov 24, 2014 Susie rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-arts
Cute book to help students understand the importance and effect of punctuation.
Haley
Mar 12, 2015 Haley rated it really liked it
Oh this was so cute. I think kids would get a kick out of it.
Blake Turner
Great children's book about punctuation.
Andrea
Apr 03, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit
This is a funny example on why punctuation is important. It shows you the different meanings that a sentence can carry if the punctuation is changed. I'd like this book in my collection.
Janey
Apr 21, 2015 Janey rated it it was amazing
You must read it out loud; so funny.
Aug 02, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to punctuation fun!
Mandi
Sep 21, 2011 Mandi rated it really liked it
Really a great idea for a book! Each page opens up to the exact same sentence used twice only with different puctuation for each that completely changes the meaning of the sentence. And, although some of the examples were not the best, most were really great and very humorous. My kids loved it and definitely grasped the idea that punctuation does matter.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Again, this was okay but lacks the punch of Eats, Shoots & Leaves with the variety of punctuation types. It got especially lame with the ones where the punctuation is indicating inflection but could actually be read with the different meanings regardless of the . ? or ! I think it's definitely trying to hard and could have had funnier examples.
Rita
Aug 30, 2011 Rita rated it really liked it
Shelves: grammar
This book is a great book to explain punctuation marks and it's different usage. The book shows how the placement of the punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence. Also, with your students you can practice how to read with enthusiasm. This book is an easy read and I believe the students will enjoy the book.
Lesley Looper
Another cleverly done children's book by Lynne Trusse and Bonnie Timmons about punctuation! The examples and illustrations are colorful and fun, and I like the list of explanations in the back of the book too. Cute letter to the teacher in the back of this book as well.
Miri
Jul 01, 2016 Miri rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love Lynne Truss. A companion book to the children's version of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I think my favorite is this one:

"Do you know who came last night? Santa Claus," said my mom.

"Do you know who came last night?" Santa Claus said. "My mom."
babyhippoface
Sep 09, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-non-fiction
Although the red-bearded pirates spread is confusing, the rest of this book is great for helping kids (and adults) understand the importance of proper punctuation, and how improperly-placed punctuation can completely change the meaning of a sentence.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
found on a list of great picture books for kids, this book illustrates the power of puncutation and how it can change the meaning of the sentence. making things mean drastically different things. in a text on picture books for the classroom
Ms.Kim
Oct 31, 2013 Ms.Kim rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book that demonstrates the importance of punctuation. With just a change of punctuation, the meaning of a sentence can be altered completely! Cute pictures, and a less painful way to learn grammar. :)
oplkids
Jan 05, 2009 oplkids rated it really liked it
The illustrations and text work together to show how punctuation marks can completely change the meaning of what is intended in a sentence. A fun way for youngsters to learn punctuation.
Kristen
May 18, 2009 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Great examples to show how punctuation affects the meaning of sentences. The letter at the end is terrific - either a love letter or a "Dear John" depending on how the punctuation is placed!
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • Silent Letters Loud and Clear
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • Gleam and Glow
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • Dear Deer: A Book of Homophones
  • Teaching Argument Writing, Grades 6-12: Supporting Claims with Relevant Evidence and Clear Reasoning
  • Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words
  • The Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations: The Complete Opinionated Guide for the Careful Speaker
  • Merry-Go-Round: A Book About Nouns
  • The Disheveled Dictionary: A Curious Caper Through Our Sumptuous Lexicon
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • Punctuation Celebration
  • Worst of Friends: Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and the True Story of an American Feud
  • Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading: With More Than 75 Articles from the New York Times, Rolling Stone, the Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others
  • The King Who Rained (Stories to Go!)
Lynne Truss is a writer and journalist who started out as a literary editor with a blue pencil and then got sidetracked. The author of three novels and numerous radio comedy dramas, she spent six years as the television critic of The Times of London, followed by four (rather peculiar) years as a sports columnist for the same newspaper. She won Columnist of the Year for her work for Women's Journal ...more
More about Lynne Truss...