Start by marking “The Bird House” as Want to Read:
The Bird House

The Bird House

Through gentle prose and exquisite paintings, this modern-day fairy tale about an orphan girl and a mysterious house adored by birds delivers a touching message about loneliness and the wisdom and power of nature.
Published September 1st 1998 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bird House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bird House

Animal Farm by George OrwellHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisOf Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Species and Animals in Titles
127th out of 544 books — 117 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansWendall by Othen Donald Dale CummingsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Books for six-year-olds
413th out of 543 books — 235 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Lipko
Mar 29, 2015 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
I love the softness of Rylant's stories. Some may call her tales silly, simple or corny. I claim her tales as good ole fashioned happy stories of a brighter time.

In this tale an elderly woman lives is a small cottage. She loves and feeds birds and in return they gift her with their presence.

A lonely, forlorn girl happens upon the cottage in the woods and notices the beauty of the woman and the birds.

The birds join together in writing the word GIRL in the sky. In a magical way, the birds, the wo
Eva Kelly
Oct 15, 2014 Eva Kelly rated it really liked it
So the girl in the woods sees this house with an old lady in it and a lot of birds and an owl, and she tries hiding, but the owl swoops down and carries her to the old woman, and it turns out they needed to have a family and no one knew it but the owl.
The birds wrote "girl" in the sky. I didn't know birds could do that. But this IS just a story.
I like the girl's pants. She wears carhartts like mama.
A good one.
Jazzmin
Dec 26, 2014 Jazzmin rated it it was amazing
The language of this book, from the overall writing style of the author to the educational mention of the various birds (Purple Martins, a Great Barred Owl, etc.), is beautiful. The rich watercolors contribute equally with the story in making this book a joy to read.
Melanie
Dec 09, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-2014
A sweet story of an old woman who takes in and cares for others around her. The kids loved this book and learning about the different birds who visited the woman's home.
Peacegal
Aug 19, 2014 Peacegal rated it really liked it
This mysterious and quiet picture book will attract thoughtful readers.
Josiah
Aug 10, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
I would give this book one and a half stars.
The writing of Cynthia Rylant in the story is quiet, with a very certain and serene style that appeals to me. Readers will follow the story with interest as a girl who finds herself alone in the great big world tries her best to find a permanent home, though she must first convince herself that finding such a home is really possible for her, and that it is what she wants deep down in her heart.
Relyn
Jun 22, 2010 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, upper elementary school kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Rylant
Can you tell I am on a Cynthia Rylant kick? I had forgotten about this book and how much I liked it. It's her writing. Cynthia Rylant has a style like noone else. It's deceptively simple. Her writing is lyrical with never an adjective too many. Just perfect. And this story? Oh, I really love this story. Just the right amount of magic. And, of course, a happy ending.
Lesley Looper
I enjoyed the illustrations of the birds and the house, but something about the story seemed a little off. Maybe it was the little girl, a "homeless orphan." In the pictures, she looked like she was in pretty good shape, considering she was a homeless orphan. Hmmm, maybe that's not it, but something. Just didn't connect with the story like I expected.
Amanda Andrews
Sep 16, 2010 Amanda Andrews rated it liked it
This book had beautiful pictures and words that were descriptive. It was an interesting story about a homeless girl who ends up living with an old women with the help of an owl.
Matthew
Jun 10, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
This was a classic Rylant-style story. I enjoyed it for its simplicity and its beauty. It was oddly magical as so many of her stories tend to be.
Lobstergirl
Aug 02, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-books
A beautiful story about a homeless girl, an old woman, and a bunch of birds. Barry Moser's watercolors are stunning.
Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson
Oct 14, 2013 Suzanne Elizabeth Anderson rated it it was amazing
Lovely, lovely, lovely. This is Cynthia Rylant at her best.
Maren
Dec 29, 2008 Maren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bird and nature lovers
Recommended to Maren by: library website
Rebecca and I loved sharing this book.
Mark
May 14, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Interesting fantasy book.
Emily
Emily added it
Sep 24, 2016
Hailey White
Hailey White rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Meredith Pocius
Meredith Pocius marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
AKD
AKD added it
Mar 05, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Feb 03, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Bradford Chaffee
Bradford Chaffee rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...