Start by marking “Who Was Mark Twain?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Mark Twain?

Who Was Mark Twain? (Who Was/Is...?)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A humorist, narrator, and social observer, Mark Twain is unsurpassed in American literature. Best known as the author of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain, not unlike his protagonist, Huck, has a restless spirit. He found adventure prospecting for silver in Nevada, navigating steamboats down the Mississippi, and making people laugh around the world. But Twain ...more
Published May 24th 2004 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Mark Twain?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Mark Twain?

Logan B
I jumped into this book not knowing anything about Mark Twain and when I was did I knew a lot about him. My favorite part had to be when he was just a young adult and actully joined his childhood dream career, a steamboat captain. I found it interesting how he was born the day Halley's Commet when past the earth and died 76 years later on the same day of the commet passing. My least favorite part was when all his family started dieing and his life just fell apart. After his last daughter died he ...more
Ms. Mielke's Class
Mark Twain is a very good book and I would encourage people to read it. It talks about his life and how he went from job to job looking to get money. His real name is Samuel Clemens. He always dreamed to be a steamboat pilot, but he didn't think he was ready to be one. He wrote newspapers and got a lot of money and practiced with this guy, that taught him how to pilot. I thought it was a really good book, so if you like biographies, I would recommend it.
Luke Ewell
Mark Twain might be the only person to be born and die on the same day Hailey's comet was in view. I have listened to Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn and they were funny. Mark Twain got a house and three servants for life for his wedding gift from his wife's dad.
Caleb Mckenzie
I liked Mark Twain. Only one of his children lived. He wrote "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer."
Payton
This book gave me the life of him.He had lots of death during his life.
Cmdr Bly
i think it is a nice short biography on mark twain and his life
Acton
Oct 20, 2010 Acton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: cash
Mark Twain died on his birthday when Halley’s Comet came back. He was born on Halley’s Comet. He had always wanted to be a steamboat pilot when he was a boy. Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are based on his life. He made his family bankrupt. He had to persevere to earn enough money to pay his property taxes so that his family could keep their home. He was a good writer.
Lola
Jan 12, 2012 Lola rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Slightly better than the last Who Was book I read but not much by much. I'm not even going to bother to tell you what was wrong with it. My advice: Read his autobiography instead. I've heard it's awesome and probably funny as hell knowing Twain.
Gia V
Mark Twain is awesome, and extremely interesting.I haven't read any of his books but I bet there good. I had to read this as a school assignment.
Gina Beirne
The Mark Twain Center's summer read for kids. We are reading this as a family, one chapter before bedtime each night.
Gabe
This book was very helpful and gave a lot of good info about Mark Twain.
Noble
i leared about Mark Twain
beth j. morell
beth j. morell marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Jamie Smedsmo
Jamie Smedsmo marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Nov 04, 2014
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Leonardo da Vinci?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was Charles Darwin?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Eleanor Roosevelt?
  • Who Was Annie Oakley?
  • Who Was Thomas Jefferson?
  • Who Was Marco Polo?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
April Jones Prince is a children's book author specializing in history and books for the very young.
More about April Jones Prince...
Twenty-One Elephants and Still Standing What Do Wheels Do All Day? Dig In! Meet Our Flag, Old Glory Dive In!