Start by marking “The Tenth Case” as Want to Read:
The Tenth Case

The Tenth Case (Jaywalker #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Criminal defense attorney Harrison J. Walker, better known as Jaywalker, has just been suspended for using "creative" tactics and receiving "gratitude" in the courtroom stairwell from a client charged with prostitution. Convincing the judge that his other clients are counting on him, Jaywalker is allowed to complete ten cases. But it's the last case that truly tests his abilities—and ...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by Mira (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Tenth Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tenth Case

Eric_W
Unlike Bronx Justice Bronx Justice by Joseph Teller which was more or less autobiographical, this novel has more humor and less of a sense of doom. It has some funny lines, related to the way things work, like cop-speak. The cop writes in his report: " 'did knowlingly and voluntarily grant them consent to affect entry of the premises.' Jaywalker would go to his grave in awe over how cops abused the English language. It was as though, in order to receive their guns and shields, they were first required to surrender their abl ...more
Mandy
Wow! I absolutely love this book and can't wait to read more from this author. I guess this is a series about the same lawyer. I really enjoyed the character and his inability to follow the rules. I related to him!!!! The storytelling is great, and the plot's twists and turns are so much fun. This is one of my favorite new (at least to me) authors!
Diane
This book is very entertaining, witty, fast paced, often down-right funny, and also seriously grim in places. I recommend this read to anyone who likes a mix of comedy and drama in easy doses.

Diane Davis White
Author, Moon of the Falling Leaves
Benjamin
Think Perry Mason. But in this case, the defense attorney is Harrison J. Walker, aka Jaywalker. He's about to be suspended for misconduct but is allowed to complete ten of his current cases. This is the tenth case, a young trophy wife arrested for the murder of her forty-years-older billionaire husband. Or maybe, as Jaywalker puts it, for every ten cases, there is one that no lawyer could lose, eight that some lawyers would win and some would lose, and the tenth case, that no lawyer could win. I ...more
Mary Neel
Great 'courtroom case' book!
Denise
4.0 out of 5 stars Solid start for a new legal series...., November 8, 2008

This review is from: The Tenth Case (Paperback)

To me it's always about the ending. I can be reading along, enjoying a book immensely when WHAM!, the ending blows me out of the water for good or for bad--so ultimately, my opinion of a book is only as good as I like the ending. That said, I really liked this one.

The plot reads like a cliché of every legal thriller I've ever read, but somehow the way that Teller writes it -
Carey
Manhattan lawyer Harrison J. Walker has, for the length of his twenty-plus year career, been known simply as Jaywalker. In court, the judge usually calls him Mr. Jaywalker. He is that rare criminal defense attorney who believes that a defendant deserves at least one person in his corner, even if the defendant is guilty as sin. This belief has helped Jaywalker achieve a high acquittal rate. Extremely high. Exceeding ninety percent, in fact.

In order to achieve this remarkably high acquittal rate,
Kelly
The Tenth Case by Joseph Teller opens with an attorney, Harrison J. Walker AKA “Jaywalker” standing in front of a disciplinary committee. Jaywalker is suspended from the practice of law for three years due to his use of “creative” tactics and for the fact that he received an oral “token of gratitude” in the courthouse stairwell from a grateful client, while in full view of a security camera. He is told to pick ten of his unfinished cases to complete and hand the rest off.

Jaywalker’s tenth case
Sandie
In my humble opinion The Tenth Case by Joseph Teller is not a suspense thriller nor is it a true mystery. It is more a legal drama with various portions of the story written in the form of a trial transcript that reads like the dialog in the courtroom portion of a Law and Order episode.

The story is told from the perspective of criminal defense attorney Harrison J. Walker, a man with the unlikely nickname of Jaywalker, who thru a series of circumstances and unlikely coincidences finds himself def
Billy
Not a boring read, but not great either...,

I will offer openly that I'm not a big fan of legal thrillers or court-room dramas, but this book still caught my eye because of the uncommon protagonist.
I kind of had the feeling, about halfway through this book, that the ending was going to be a bit cliche if not predictable. I give Teller points for the unpredictable part, but it was cliche. The twist at the end was good, but the very end (the last page or two) was straight from many a movie script.

T
Tina Hayes
Joseph Teller's 'The Tenth Case' is a wonderful example of a legal thriller.

Jaywalker is a quirky lawyer who has just been suspended from practicing law for three years. The lewd act he and a hooker were caught on tape engaging in--in the courthouse stairwell of all places--was the final straw. But, taking his near perfect win record into consideration, the judges finally agree to let him finish handling ten cases he's already taken on. The final one, the tenth case, is a client named Samara Ta
Glenda Bixler
If you are a fan of the legal system, especially court cases, then The Tenth Case, by Joseph Teller will be a must-read for you!

“It had long been Jaywalker’s belief that if you were to pull any ten criminal cases out of a hat, one of those ten could be won by the very worst of defense lawyers...At the opposite end of the spectrum would be the tenth case, one that even the best of defense lawyers couldn’t possibly win...” p. 105

Jaywalker was a great criminal defense lawyer—one of the best. But w
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
When I was asked to review this book, it sounded interesting. Truly it did. The premise is that a renegade lawyer, threatened with disbarment, tries his last case: a young, beautiful wife accused of murdering her elderly, billionaire husband.

The main character, Jaywalker, has potential. The accused, Samara, isn't someone you like, let alone care about. You don't even want her to get acquitted. The book is gritty and realistic, with some twists, turns and of course, the anticipated deceptions. Yo
Andrew
If you're going to be in Skynyrd, you've gotta play Freebird, right? I mean, what choice do you have?

So it occurs to me that writing in a genre must pose quite a challenge because, on one hand you've got to find a way to make it fresh and interesting and different from all the others, while still holding true to the expectations of the genre on the other hand. (You've still got to play Freebird.)

Well, Joesph Teller manages to walk that tightrope - spanning innovation and traditional genre - in t
Ace
Joseph Teller spent 35 years as a defense attorney before turning to writing. He brings to his work a unique vantage point and is adept at revealing the inner workings of an attorney's mind. This is the first of his novels that I have read, but he's roused my interest and I'll be on the lookout for his other books.
Samantha
Nov 04, 2008 Samantha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: Vine Book
I didn't think this book was a bad book for a debut novel. It was actually pretty good. I enjoyed the pacing of it. It is very quick paced and you didn't know what was going to happen next. Does it have some holes? Yes, Mr. Teller needed a little better editor as some of the final plot points needed more explanation and needed to be better written. I thought that he developed his main character, Jaywalker pretty well. I liked him and look forward to seeing some updates on what his life now holds ...more
carnival
The action was going sooo slowly, taking into account these four hundred pages I waited for some more action twists. In fact everything was going in one direction, with a very surprising, unexpected final when there were twenty pages left. Three stars: only for the ending.
Bill
A wildly entertaining lawyer who will do anything to win a case. He goes by the name Jaywalker and is about to be suspended by the judiciary review board for his outrageous behavior in the courtroom and elsewhere (with an appreciative female client)in the courthouse. He is told to get rid of all pending cases but the board allows him to keep ten cases that are too far along and shouldn't be assigned to another lawyer. He clears nine cases but the tenth case--a murder trial--is the heart of the s ...more
Cheryl
Harrision Jay Walker otherwise known as Jaywalker is a criminal defense attorny. He has just been suspended for accepting graditude from a client. He convinces the judge to let him finishout ten of his cases. What Jaywalker didn't know was that his tenth case would test his smarts.

The Tenth Case is the first novel by Joseph Teller in a series of novels featuring Jaywalker. I liked this book but it did move a little slow at first but once I got into the book more it was good.
Sharon
I wanted to like this book far better than I actually did. Teller draws upon his background as a DEA agent and criminal defense attorney to craft a courtroom and police procedural that is fast-paced, but stereotypical. From the portrayal of the ill-spoken New York detective to the trailer-trash female protagonist, Teller manages to draw characters that we've seen a dozen times before. I could see the end coming for miles, and was disappointed to be right.
Suzie Quint
Can't remember how I got turned onto this book, but I'm glad I was. I really enjoyed this. The characters are strongly written and humanly flawed, and the ending didn't disappoint as they so often do. The author really knows his procedures for murder trials (not surprising since he's a lawyer) but it all is structured to work against the hero and his client. There's no easy out and no sense that the author cheated, so I'll be reading more from Mr. Teller.
Lisa
This book was okay. One thing I did not like about the author is he would periodically stop in his storytelling and address "you the reader" - this is very disruptive to the story and slows the reading down. I did not particularly care for how he ended the story, either. I'm not sure I would buy another book of his.
Patt
Jaywalker is finishing his tenth case allowed before his suspension. He is defending a young widow charged with killing her elderly wealthy husband. But did she? All the evidence points that way until Jaywalker discovers a clue that leads to the dismissal of the case. BUT....was she really innocent?
Rose
Jan 20, 2010 Rose added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
After reading the synopsis which sounded exciting, I was disappointed with this book. The characters (in my opinion) weren't convincing, and I really couldn't root for the novel's protagonist "Jaywalker." While I enjoy legal thrillers, this one didn't engage me enough to finish it.
Amanda
Jun 08, 2012 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
A pretty light read - definitely a summer type of book - but very well done. It was completely enjoyable and kept me genuinely interested in the story to the point where I never wanted to put the book down. I just wish it had ended differently.
Sandi
While not terrible this legal thriller just did not do a lot for me. The plot was adequate and the characters serviceable but nothing really stood out and while I finished the book I doubt if I read further in the series.
Joe
Not a bad debut novel, interesting lead character and plot which keeps things moving along at a nice pace. I enjoyed the courtroom exchanges and dialogue. I will probably persist and try the second in the series.
Judy
Really enjoyed this courtroom drama. I was not prepared for the twists at the end. Loved the central character - could be used in a series of books.
Well done Mr Teller!
Love Is...
Mar 28, 2009 Love Is... marked it as to-read
From what I read of the back cover, it proves to make for interesting reading. I can't wait to get into it. I will be starting on it in the second week of May09.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sleeping with Beauty (Glass Slipper, Inc., #3)
  • Restitution
  • La décima sinfonía
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • The Innocents Club
  • Пиреј
  • Good Family
  • El paciente
  • So 5 Minutes Ago
Joseph Teller was born and raised in New York City. He graduated from the College of Wooster in Ohio and the University of Michigan Law School. He returned to New York City, where he spent three years as an agent with the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (the precursor of the Drug Enforcement Administration), doing undercover work. For the next 35 years, he worked as a criminal defense attorney, repres ...more
More about Joseph Teller...
Bronx Justice Depraved Indifference Guilty as Sin Overkill Depraved Indifference (A Jaywalker Case)